more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 25/03/24...

Started by WhiteJC, March 25, 2024, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

de Fougerolles wins first Canada cap
Fulham defender Luc de Fougerolles won his first senior international cap this evening as he helped Canada qualify for the Copa America.

The 18 year-old came on as a second half substitute as the Canadians beat Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 in a play-off in Texas thanks to goals from Cyle Larin and Jacob Shaffelburg. Canada, one of six guest nations to feature in this summer's Copa which will be played in the United States, will play Argentina, Peru and Chile in Group An of the prestigious tournament.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/de-fougerolles-wins-first-canada-cap/

WhiteJC

Wilson: 'I've moved to a new level at Fulham'
Harry Wilson has credited his move to Fulham two years with inspiring his outstanding international form.

The Welsh winger produced another outstanding display as Rob Page's side won their Euro 2024 play-off semi-final against Finland on Friday, setting up two goals as Wales won through to Tuesday night's Cardiff showdown with Poland.

Wilson told the BBC yesterday:

"I feel I have moved to the next level. The move to Fulham two and a half years ago now was a big one for me. I'd been on a lot of loans from Liverpool. Although my dream as a young lad was to make it into Liverpool's first team and play regularly, I knew that wasn't going to be the case. When I was 18, 19 and 20, I was trying to get into the team, but they had arguably the best front three in the world.

So all the loans I went on really helped me to grow as a player and learn the game. It got to a stage in my life where I wanted to get settled from a personal side of things as well. So when the Fulham move came up, I spoke to Marco Silva on the phone and I just felt it was the right move.

I feel it's been the perfect move for me and my game has gone to a new level. The Premier League is the best league in the world so to be playing regular football in a good team in that league means I can only get better."

He insisted it was a team effort to replace the retired Gareth Bale, despite Page's recognition of Wilson's own individual efforts.

I don't think anyone was going to replace Gaz. We knew when he left as a team we had to step up because he was leaving such a hole in that team. He was our captain, our leader, our best player. To lose his goals and his influence on the team, there was going to be a big gap there. It's not just me, a lot of players are playing really well at the moment. We're all coming together."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/wilson-ive-moved-to-a-new-level-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sunderland and Ipswich Town shouldn't be put off transfer pursuit by Birmingham City stumble: View
Jay Stansfield has proven he is worthy of a move to Black Cats or Tractor Boys this summer

Stansfield's promising start marred by erratic Birmingham City season, managerial instability affecting his performance and goal output.
    Despite Stansfield's recent dry spell, his potential shines through, showing glimpses of brilliance and prowess in front of goal.
    Transfer rumors surrounding Stansfield continue to swirl with interest from Sunderland and Ipswich highlighting his bright future in English football.

Jay Stansfield has proven himself to be one of the most promising young strikers in the EFL this term, with the 21-year-old's early season exploits for Birmingham City earning him plenty of plaudits.

The former Exeter City man started the season with three goals in his first five appearances for the Blues, including a debut injury-time winner against Plymouth Argyle at St Andrews.

Currently on loan from Premier League side Fulham, the England youth international has gone on to find the net ten times for Blues in the current campaign, leading to the likes of Sunderland and Ipswich Town showing interest in the striker.

One goal in his last 11 appearances looks like a poor run of form on paper, but Stansfield hasn't been helped by a series of unfortunate events across the campaign during his loan spell, with his efforts being unduly rewarded.

Managerial changes at Birmingham City in 2023/24
In a season that began wonderfully well under John Eustace, the powers that be at Birmingham City decided that the former Watford man wasn't the right fit for the job, despite having his side in the top six in a surprise to many.

Wayne Rooney was appointed to replace him, with the ex-Manchester United striker overseeing a treacherous run of just two wins from 15 games to see the West Midlands club plummet from the play-off places to just above the relegation zone.

Tony Mowbray was seen as a safe pair of hands to take over once Rooney was dismissed, but with the current boss away on medical grounds, the never-ending uncertainty at the club continues.

With rumours of Gary Rowett returning to the club on an interim basis in the coming weeks, Stansfield could be playing under a fourth manager of the season - never mind the caretaker spells when there wasn't a head honcho in charge.

All that has led to the Blues struggling to perform of late, with a lack of cohesion through the team resulting in just one point picked up from the last 18 available, and leaving them perilously close to the drop.

Birmingham sit just outside the league's bottom three as it stands, with just goal difference separating them from Huddersfield Town in 22nd; proof that every goal matters over the course of a Championship season.

Jay Stansfield 23/24 season summary
Stansfield is proof of that, with some stunning strikes during his first season at this level proving that he is a player with a bright future ahead of him and interested clubs shouldn't be put off by a recent dry spell in front of goal.

It is never for the want of trying for the Fulham loanee, with his effervescent performances constantly offering a glimmer of hope for Blues fans, and the ability to create something out of nothing with his tenacious hounding of defenders.

It's not just his goalscoring ability that makes him such a standout player in the Blues side, it's his movement and pace that gives him the ability to lure defenders into a false sense of security before he pounces to take advantage.

His recent strike against Southampton proves that point, as he latched onto a loose ball before bearing down on the Saints' goal to fire home with clinical precision and power.

If he was given regular service in front of goal there is no reason why Stansfield can't find the net 20 times next season - a promotion-chasing Championship side or even bottom-half Premier League side would benefit hugely from a player with his movement and speed to glide along the turf.

Jay Stansfield transfer rumours, contract information
Ipswich bolstered their attacking ranks massively in January with the loan signing of Kieffer Moore and Ali Al-Hamadi's arrival from AFC Wimbledon, adding the duo to the likes of Conor Chaplin, Nathan Broadhead and Omari Hutchinson in the goalscoring department.

Sunderland have had their well-documented troubles at the business end of the pitch this season, with out-and-out strikers proving to be a problem area for the Black Cats, with no forward finding the net until New Year's Day for the Wearsiders.

At 21 years old he would fit the profile for the side in the North East; with an emphasis on developing younger talent in recent years providing a platform for players such as Jack Clarke and Amad Diallo to shine.

The four-year deal he signed at Craven Cottage before making the move to Birmingham in the summer shows how well thought of he is in West London, so a loan deal would be the obvious choice for any interested parties over the summer.

Stansfield may regret his choice of club this season but he will have plenty more to choose from for the next campaign if all goes to plan, he is far too good to be competing at the bottom of the second tier, so the Black Cats and Tractor Boys will have to fight it out for the marksman.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sunderland-and-ipswich-town-birmingham-city-jay-stansfield-stumble/

WhiteJC

Calvin Bassey to miss Super Eagles friendly against Mali, returns to Fulham for further assessment
Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report Super Eagles interim boss Finidi George will not be able to count on the services of Calvin Bassey for the national team's friendly against Mali at Stade de Marrakech on Tuesday, March 26.

The Fulham central defender was named in Nigeria's gameday squad for the 2-1 win against Ghana but it reality, he was not available for selection due to fitness issues.

The Cottagers have recalled him from international duty for further assessment ahead of their next Premier League game against Sheffield United on Saturday, March 30.

Bassey did not participate in Nigeria's last two training sessions leading up to the match against Ghana and also did not join the recovery workout on Saturday.

Every player in the camp is required to attend training sessions and team meals, but he hasn't been present for any of them.

Bassey has been nursing a knock since he reported for international duty and was included in the matchday squad versus Ghana just to make up the numbers.

Regarding Saturday's recovery workout, as is the norm, all the players that started and played large periods of the 2-1 win against Ghana did not participate in full training with the team.

The likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Semi Ajayi, Chidozie Awaziem and Bright Osayi-Samuel did a bit of jogging and stretching exercises before they were released to sit down.

Those that didn't play at all or barely took part in the game against the Black Stars were drilled and put through their paces by Finidi George.

Benjamin Tanimu, who was replaced due to injury on his Nigeria debut, jogged normally during the recovery session.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=50927

WhiteJC

Bassey returns to Fulham after injury
Calvin Bassey has returned to Fulham early from international duty after missing Nigeria's win over Ghana on Thursday through injury.

Nigerian website All Nigeria Soccer reports that Bassey has been unable to train from the outset of the Super Eagles' camp and has returned to Motspur Park for urgent analysis by Fulham's medical team to ascertain whether the unspecified knock will rule him out of Saturday's trip to Sheffield United.

Bassey, who together with his Fulham team-mate Alex Iwobi helped Nigeria reach the final of the African Cup of Nations earlier this year, has become a regular in Marco Silva's side since signing for the Whites from Ajax in the summer.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/bassey-returns-to-fulham-after-injury/

WhiteJC

Harry Wilson Says Leaving Liverpool Was The End Of His Dream . . . But The Start Of Another With Wales
Harry Wilson intends to join the stage alongside Europe's best goalscorers this summer just two years after giving up on another dream.

The Wales striker pinpoints his decision to leave Liverpool as the first step towards filling the huge boots of Gareth Bale for his country.

Wilson will be the man Wales look to for match-winning inspiration on Tuesday night when they face Robert Lewandowski's Poland for a place at the Euro 2024 finals this summer.

Haz is the new Gaz, according to Wales manager Rob Page, but the Fulham star reckons it would never have happened had he not chosen to kill his boyhood dream by leaving Anfield.

"That move to Fulham was two-and-half years ago now, but it was a big one for me," says Wilson, 27, who moved to Craven Cottage for £12m.

"I had been on a lot of loans from Liverpool and although my dream as a young lad was to make it into the Liverpool first team and play regularly, I knew that it wasn't really going to be the case.

"When I was 18, 19, 20, I was trying to get into the team, but they arguably had the best front three in the world.

"So, the loans I went on really helped me grow as a player and learn the game."

Wilson's pragmatic decision that he was not going to shift Mo Sala, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino as Jurgen Klopp's holy trinity proved to be a wise one.

He immediately helped Fulham win promotion to the Premier League in 2022 and he adds: "We've had one good season and this one's going well although there are a few games left.

"I feel like it's really been the perfect move for me and my game has gone up another level."

With Bale retired, it was Wilson who scored both Wales' goals in their crucial 2-1 victory over Croatia in qualifying.

Although he didn't find the net in the 4-1 play-off semi-final victory over Finland on Thursday night, it was Wilson's shot that paved the way for David Brooks to score the opener.

That kind of scruff-of-the-neck yanking used to be the preserve of Bale and Wilson adds: "I don't think anyone was going to replace Gaz, but we knew when he left we had to step up because he was leaving such a hole in that team.

"He was our captain, our leader, our best player. To lose his goals and his influence on the team, there was going to be a big gap there.

"It's not just me. A lot of players are playing really well at the moment. As long as I'm contributing to the team with assists and performances, I know there are players around me who have the capability to score goals."

Poland will have their own talisman at the Cardiff City Stadium on Tuesday, of course, in the familiar lean shape of goal-machine Lewandowski.

The odds suggest the now 35-year-old will score at least once, since he boasts the remarkable international tally of 82 goals for the Poles in 146 matches.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo, Ferenc Puskas and Romelu Lukaku have scored more goals for European nations.

The Barcelona striker surprisingly failed to get among the scorers in midweek, however, when Poland thrashed Estonia 5-1 in their play-off semi-final.

"He might be saving his goals for our game," adds Wilson.

"His hunger to score goals is the biggest thing. Everywhere he's been in his career he's scored, for club and for country.

"He's going to be their biggest threat. He might not be getting younger but if we give him half a sniff at goal he's going to take it.

"First and foremost we need to make sure we stop him. If we don't give him space, we can stop giving him any chances.

"If we do that, we're confident with the quality in our dressing room going the other way that we can really hurt them."

https://www.dai-sport.com/harry-wilson-says-leaving-liverpool-was-the-end-of-his-dream-but-the-start-of-another-with-wales/

WhiteJC

Fulham Women hit Crawley for fifteen
Hat-tricks from Georgia Heasman, Sophie Manzi and Sasha Adamson helped Fulham return to winning ways as the Whites thrashed Crawley AFC 15-0 at Three Bridges this afternoon.

Fulham, whose hopes of promotion faded dramatically with defeat at home to Saltdean United last Sunday, were on the front foot from the outset on a cold, sunny afternoon. The visitors opened the scoring following a fifth-minute counter-attack that culminated in Adamson converting a cross from Heasman. The returning Sophie Manzi shot over the bar three minutes later, but the away side doubled their lead when the striker slipped a lovely ball into the path of Heasman, who guided a fine finish into the bottom corner.

It was three eight minutes later when Crawley conceded an own goal from Megalie Mendes' corner. Mendes went close to scoring herself – her rising drive clipped the top of the crossbar – before Fulham goalkeeper Frankie Gibbs made a smart save to deny Orla Humphrey after Crawley had found space down the right flank. Crawley goalkeeper Catherine Love thwarted Adamson shortly after being cautioned for handling the ball outside her penalty area – and Fulham continued to pour numbers forward.

Manzi made it four with a clinical finish despite some desperate home defending and Heasman tapped home her second of the afternoon from close range four minutes before the break. Crawley looked as if they had survived further Fulham pressure to reach half time, but midfielder Lilly Lambird lashed home a long-range strike into the bottom corner of the net in the first minute of added time.

Heasman completed her hat-trick within two minutes of the restart after more outstanding approach work from Adamson. The in-form winger was then denied another goal by a brilliant Love save as the Crawley goalkeeper pushed her shot aside for a corner after a fine ball from Adamson. Love excelled herself again to keep out a fierce drive by Rebecca Barron-Clark before Olivia Dale drilled an effort fractionally wide after a superb run forward from centre back.

Dale rifled home the eighth in some style with eighteen minutes to play and Fulham scored frequently as the home side tired in the closing stages. Manzi made it nine after slotting past Love when played through on goal and, within two minutes, new signing from Tottenham Hotspur Isabel Taylor-Makepeace took the Whites into double figures with a delicious debut strike. Manzi registered her hat-trick with another poacher's finish with nine minutes left.

Striker Ellie Olds, making his first appearance after thirteen months out after a serious knee injury, sensationally marked her return with a trademark finish as the goals continued to flow. Adamson, a real threat to the Crawley defence all afternoon, notched her second of game shooting through a crowded penalty area and then rounded off her own hat-trick with another instinctive finish in the last minute of normal time.

Taylor-Makepeace finished off the scoring in the third minute of stoppage time – majestically chipping Love to complete an impressive debut cameo. This crushing victory will send the Whites to second-placed Dulwich Hamlet in good heart when their league campaign continues at Champion Hill on Wednesday 3 April, with kick off at 7.45pm.

CRAWLEY AFC WOMEN: Love; Horton, Lazenby, Sheppard, Macfarlane, O. Humphrey, Chapman, Morley, Delaney, Martin. Subs: Bale, Higham, Tyler.

BOOKED: Love.

FULHAM FC WOMEN (3-4-3): Gibbs; Dale, Tagliavini, Southgate; Parsonson, Mendes, Barron-Clark, Lambird; Heasman, Adamson, Manzi. Subs: Parker, Allen, Beaver, Taylor-Makepeace, Olds.

GOALS: Adamson (5, 88, 90), Heasman (9, 41, 47), own goal (17), Manzi (32, 77, 81), Lambird (45+1), Dale (72), Taylor-Makepeace (79, 90+3), Olds (83),

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/fulham-women-hit-crawley-for-fifteen/

WhiteJC

£12m Fulham star shares reason why he gave up on Liverpool 'dream'
The dream for anybody coming up in the Liverpool ranks is to become a first-team star just like Jamie Carragher or Steven Gerrard.

Being adored by the Anfield crowd is the aim for everybody passing through the Anfield setup, but it's a journey few are able to complete.

Carragher and Gerrard are rare examples and many have to leave Liverpool in search of first-team action.

Some fall down the leagues, some are still able to carve out Premier League careers and Fulham's Harry Wilson falls into the latter category.

The Welshman joined Liverpool at Under-9 level and progressed through the ranks but made just two first-team appearances.

Loans to Crewe Alexandra, Hull City, Derby County, Bournemouth and Cardiff City didn't help Wilson cement a Liverpool role, paving the way for his move to Craven Cottage.

Fulham signed Wilson for £12million in 2021 and he was simply ridiculous in the promotion-winning campaign, racking up 10 goals and 19 assists in 41 games.

The 27-year-old is a Premier League regular now and he certainly feels that the decision to leave Liverpool has helped him...

Harry Wilson on Fulham move and Liverpool exit
Wilson has been speaking to Wales Online whilst on international duty.

The Fulham ace admitted that his dream as a youngster was to play regularly for Liverpool but he realised that it just wasn't going to happen.

Going out on loan helped Wilson but he gave up on the Liverpool dream in order to settle down and find a real home.

Moving to Fulham has offered that stability and Wilson believes that heading to West London has been truly 'perfect' for him.

Speaking to Marco Silva helped Wilson realise that the move to Fulham was just what he needed and he has 'gone up another level' since joining.

"Although my dream as a young lad was to make it into the Liverpool first team and play regularly, I knew that it wasn't really going to be the case as when I was 18,19, 20 trying to get into the the team, they arguably had the best front three in the world. The loans I went on really helped me grow as a player," said Wilson.

"But it got to the stage of my life where I wanted to settle myself. When the Fulham move came up and I was speaking to Marco Silva on the phone, I just felt it was the right move. We managed to achieve our first goal which was to get promoted to the Premier League. We've had one good season and this one's going well although there's a few games left. I feel like it's really been the perfect move for me and my game has gone up another level," he added.

Wilson has bagged three goals and four assists this season and we know that he is capable of so much more.

The Wrexham-born ace has a wand of a left foot and, given the chance to shoot from range, he can score some unbelievable goals.

Wilson is tied to Fulham until 2026 but it wouldn't be a surprise to see him extend his stay at the club if he continues to impress in the Premier League.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/03/24/12m-fulham-star-shares-reason-why-he-gave-up-on-liverpool-dream/

WhiteJC

Ream and Robinson win Nations League with USA
Fulham defenders Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson helped the United States win their third consecutive CONCACAF Nations' League title overnight. The USA beat Mexico 2-0 in Arlington, Texas with the trophy-clinching goals coming from Tyler Adams and Giovanni Reyna.

Ream, who was brought into the starting line-up having missed the semi-final victory over Jamaica, had an outstanding game at the heart of the US defence with Robinson reliable at left-back as has been over recent years for club and country.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/ream-and-robinson-win-nations-league-with-usa/

WhiteJC

Fulham win Dallas Cup opener
Fulham won their opening match of the Dallas Cup by beating Costa Rican outfit Alajuelense 2-0 yesterday afternoon in Texas.

The Whites are next in action on Monday night against hosts FC Dallas.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/fulham-win-dallas-cup-opener/