watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

He does it again

Started by deadcowboys, March 25, 2024, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadcowboys

See Mitro has contrived to miss another penalty. Some things never change.   ::thumb::

SP

From what I've seen this season, I think this has worked out pretty well for all concerned, discounting the way he left of course.

His behaviour at United was embarrassing.  I think we're far less predictable & carry more attacking threats. The squad seem very happy & settled now. Just my opinion of course.

Twig

Quote from: SP on March 25, 2024, 07:34:33 PMFrom what I've seen this season, I think this has worked out pretty well for all concerned, discounting the way he left of course.

His behaviour at United was embarrassing.  I think we're far less predictable & carry more attacking threats. The squad seem very happy & settled now. Just my opinion of course.

Tend to agree. Of course his goal scoring exploits were vital to us but I always felt we were rather one dimensional with him up front. We play a more varied game now.

SerbianLad

Quote from: SP on March 25, 2024, 07:34:33 PMFrom what I've seen this season, I think this has worked out pretty well for all concerned, discounting the way he left of course.

I think long-term it could have a huge positive effect. Muniz is much younger than Mitro(~7-8 years) and he got a chance to kickstart his PL career as a pretty direct consequence of Mitro leaving. We also got a lot of money for him which can also help us improve our squad long-term.

On the other hand, I still believe that short-term we still would have probably been better off if he stayed, as I think he could have played as well as if not better than last season, this season again at the very least. Maybe 1 or 2 seasons after that. Our strikers were very slow in getting into form at the start of the season (while Mitro had a vital contribution against Everton in his only cameo this season) and we probably would have started the season a lot better.

That being said this is all me speculating. We might have been worse even short-term had Mitro stayed and it might turn out to be a bad move long-term, but this is certainly how I see it.

Drewry66

For anyone that hasn't seen it this is really brilliant:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=FC67IUPh0KgFwjfv&v=mMuiN0ozAso&feature=youtu.be

Shows a comparison between Mitro and Muniz. Mitro was of course coming deep, holding the ball and linking play which had a lot of success for us.

Muniz does have battling qualities and wins flick ons but with a bit more pace he's constantly playing off the last man with brilliant runs and lives in the box. I think this is stretching teams. The link above shows a crazy stat that he is on the bottom 5 percentile for total touches but in the top 5 percentile for touches in the box. Basically Mitro was linking everything up coming deep but Muniz playing off the last man is just looking like an absolute predator to finish moves off. The other crazy comparison it shows is Muniz vs Solanke. Their style of play is almost identical. Both last man strikers constantly poaching in the box. All quite different to Mitro and looks like not only is Muniz making brilliant ru s the whole attacking front line has learned to adapt to know where and when to find him. Frigging loving it!!

As much as I used to love the money grabber I agree..if Muniz can keep this up it makes for much more exciting football that is harder to stop. I loved the towering headers ant the back post ans much as anyone but all the crosses from deep were way too predictable. Ultimately I think running in behind could take us to a higher level and Muniz s style of play is enabling that. Long May it continue!!

::scarf::

Drewry66

Quote from: SerbianLad on March 25, 2024, 07:55:31 PM

I think long-term it could have a huge positive effect. Muniz is much younger than Mitro(~7-8 years) and he got a chance to kickstart his PL career as a pretty direct consequence of Mitro leaving. We also got a lot of money for him which can also help us improve our squad long-term.

On the other hand, I still believe that short-term we still would have probably been better off if he stayed, as I think he could have played as well as if not better than last season, this season again at the very least. Maybe 1 or 2 seasons after that. Our strikers were very slow in getting into form at the start of the season (while Mitro had a vital contribution against Everton in his only cameo this season) and we probably would have started the season a lot better.

That being said this is all me speculating. We might have been worse even short-term had Mitro stayed and it might turn out to be a bad move long-term, but this is certainly how I see it.

Yeah we'd prob be in the top 7 right now if he'd stayed and considering that even spending £25+ Million was only getting Beto/Balogun etc I thought he was irreplaceable. Looked to be the case first half of the season and considering how good the rest of our squad is we could have been flying this year.

Who would have thought the answer was already at the club. Mental really. The stats are all showing that he is doing all of the things that will mean he will keep scoring. If he does keep it going we have replaced what looked like an irreplaceable 29 year old with a 22 year old who longer term could be even better and net were over £40 million better off. Literally can't believe it.

:slap:  ::scarf::

Angus Telford

He's scored 20 goals in 21 games, only behind Ronaldo for the golden boot, and his team are top of the league and undefeated all season. It's a joke league but it couldn't be going much better for him. Bet he's loving it.

As noted above, we'd probably have qualified for Europe this season had we kept him, and Muniz still has a long way to go before he represents a true replacement.

However I do agree with others Muniz has the potential to be even better, or at least to excel on more dimensions than Mitrovic did.

SerbianLad

Quote from: Angus Telford on March 25, 2024, 08:55:56 PMHe's scored 20 goals in 21 games, only behind Ronaldo for the golden boot, and his team are top of the league and undefeated all season. It's a joke league but it couldn't be going much better for him. Bet he's loving it.

As noted above, we'd probably have qualified for Europe this season had we kept him, and Muniz still has a long way to go before he represents a true replacement.

However I do agree with others Muniz has the potential to be even better, or at least to excel on more dimensions than Mitrovic did.
Exactly. We probably wouldn't have had the slow start we had. But Mitro's peak would end in 2-3 years and then his form would have probably gradualy dropped. Muniz has a potential to play a decade at a high level.

sarnian

Quote from: SerbianLad on March 25, 2024, 09:03:57 PM
Quote from: Angus Telford on March 25, 2024, 08:55:56 PMHe's scored 20 goals in 21 games, only behind Ronaldo for the golden boot, and his team are top of the league and undefeated all season. It's a joke league but it couldn't be going much better for him. Bet he's loving it.

Exactly. We probably wouldn't have had the slow start we had. But Mitro's peak would end in 2-3 years and then his form would have probably gradualy dropped. Muniz has a potential to play a decade at a high level.

How many matches would Mitro have missed through suspension. Refs would be looking for him this season.

lamby

Quote from: SerbianLad on March 25, 2024, 09:03:57 PMExactly. We probably wouldn't have had the slow start we had. But Mitro's peak would end in 2-3 years and then his form would have probably gradualy dropped. Muniz has a potential to play a decade at a high level.

If Muniz plays at this level for a decade he won't be with us. If he scores close to 20 goals next year (half of his current output over the last 7 games) he, and we, will be offered silly money to play at a CL club.

SerbianLad

Quote from: lamby on March 25, 2024, 10:15:01 PM
Quote from: SerbianLad on March 25, 2024, 09:03:57 PMExactly. We probably wouldn't have had the slow start we had. But Mitro's peak would end in 2-3 years and then his form would have probably gradualy dropped. Muniz has a potential to play a decade at a high level.

If Muniz plays at this level for a decade he won't be with us. If he scores close to 20 goals next year (half of his current output over the last 7 games) he, and we, will be offered silly money to play at a CL club.
What if we invest properly and get CL football ourselves in the future? If we keep Marco and the core group of players I could see it happen. Next year, we should aim get into some European competition (although it seems unlikely now, we can still do it even this season). After that we could gradually improve. Newcastle played CL football this season, it looks like Villa will play it next season. It isn't impossible. I also believe Marco and Muniz have a special bond and he'd be happy to stay here.

ianthailand

Muniz is certainly more mobile and quicker than Mitro, whether he will turn out to be better or a better fit for the system we'll have to wait and see.

ffcne

Looking like a good bit of business now .
Who knows how close we are or were too FFP failings.
The Mitro money will help towards that.

WindyCity

Quote from: ianthailand on March 26, 2024, 12:15:47 AMMuniz is certainly more mobile and quicker than Mitro, whether he will turn out to be better or a better fit for the system we'll have to wait and see.

Good observation, and pretty much my take on this issue.  Of course there will always be comparisons made regardless who the Metro "replacement" happens to be.  The one thing that I like about Muniz over Metro on the field of play is Muniz's quickness and pace.  As good a goal scorer as Metro was, he was quite slow and sluggish and held back positive buildups moving forward.  Muniz's second goal v Spurs might not have been a Metro score, I think the younger lads' quickness got him to the essential tap in.  For that matter, even his first goal v Spurs, I wonder if that would have turned into a Metro score, as Robinson is burning it up down the left side and throws that cross out there and Muniz's pace enabled the goal to be scored.

Anyway, still early days for Muniz, you just really don't know how his future turns out, always a chance of a current purple patch.  But I do like Muniz's youth/age and his pace.  Fingers crossed he keeps up with his current run......

Grassy Noel

Quote from: deadcowboys on March 25, 2024, 07:12:12 PMSee Mitro has contrived to miss another penalty. Some things never change.   ::thumb::

And yet how many players can claim to have beaten the goalkeeper from the penalty spot while inadvertently kicking the ball twice? It took some doing.

mrmicawbers

Scoring 20 goals in that league means exactly what?Loved him while he was with us but will never understand why he needed to go there whilst he was only 28.Madness.

alfie

Quote from: mrmicawbers on March 26, 2024, 06:21:55 PMScoring 20 goals in that league means exactly what?Loved him while he was with us but will never understand why he needed to go there whilst he was only 28.Madness.
Money, pure and simple.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FishaPrice

Quote from: WindyCity on March 26, 2024, 03:10:49 PM
Quote from: ianthailand on March 26, 2024, 12:15:47 AMMuniz is certainly more mobile and quicker than Mitro, whether he will turn out to be better or a better fit for the system we'll have to wait and see.

Good observation, and pretty much my take on this issue.  Of course there will always be comparisons made regardless who the Metro "replacement" happens to be.  The one thing that I like about Muniz over Metro on the field of play is Muniz's quickness and pace.  As good a goal scorer as Metro was, he was quite slow and sluggish and held back positive buildups moving forward.  Muniz's second goal v Spurs might not have been a Metro score, I think the younger lads' quickness got him to the essential tap in.  For that matter, even his first goal v Spurs, I wonder if that would have turned into a Metro score, as Robinson is burning it up down the left side and throws that cross out there and Muniz's pace enabled the goal to be scored.

Anyway, still early days for Muniz, you just really don't know how his future turns out, always a chance of a current purple patch.  But I do like Muniz's youth/age and his pace.  Fingers crossed he keeps up with his current run......

I see Mitrovic referred to as "Metro" on here all the time. What is the meaning of this nickname?

btffc

Quote from: FishaPrice on March 26, 2024, 06:32:34 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on March 26, 2024, 03:10:49 PM

I see Mitrovic referred to as "Metro" on here all the time. What is the meaning of this nickname?

Most of it is probably autocorrect and the rest is people taking the piss with it