more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 27/03/24...

Started by WhiteJC, March 26, 2024, 11:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Exeter City's academy record remains outstanding
The Grecians are currently on a run of 472 First Team games in a row with at least one Academy graduate in the starting line-up

Ollie Watkins was wearing the number 9 for the England men's team. Jay Stansfield was wearing the number 9 for the England U21s. Both academy products who have come through the Exeter City youth system which has been one of the most successful in recent years.

Ethan Ampadu picked up his 50 th cap for Wales as they beat Finland in their Euro 2024 semi-final play-off. Jamie Reid made his debut for Northern Ireland, and within seven minutes, capped it with a goal. All of whom came through the ranks at the Cliff Hill Training Ground.

The Grecians are currently on a run of 472 First Team games in a row with at least one Academy graduate in the starting line-up. The last time this was not the case was in January 2016 at Hartlepool – more than eight years ago – and even then an academy product in Reid appeared as a substitute. That was a rare occasion then, with Jordan Moore-Taylor injured, and Tom Nichols on the verge of a move away, it was the only game that season, an academy product didn't start.

During the 2022/23 season, City's first back in League One for a decade, Exeter City averaged 4.5 Club developed players in the starting 11, the average in the EFL was 1.1. These statistics (provided by the EFL), don't include Stansfield who made 39 appearances. The 2023/24 season has continued the trend, with seven graduates having made first team debuts already this season.

Four Academy graduates have made over 20 appearances for the first team this season in Alex Hartridge, Harry Kite, Cheick Diabate, and Sonny Cox. A further five have made over 30 appearances for League One Clubs with Jack Sparkes at Portsmouth, Archie Collins and Joel Randall at Peterborough United, Reid at Stevenage and Liam Sercombe at Cheltenham Town, while George Friend has featured regularly for Bristol Rovers.

Six Academy graduates are featuring regularly in the Championship this season, with Ampadu captaining Leeds United, Matt Grimes and Josh Key at Swansea City, Jordan Storey at Preston North End, Stansfield at Birmingham City on loan from Fulham, and Ben Chrisene at Blackburn Rovers - on loan from Aston Villa, while Alfie Pond at Stockport County – on loan from Wolves - has played a part in the League Two promotion charge.

"What makes Exeter City special is the dedication to young players and young player development, so certainly one of the reasons I love working here is the because of the fan ownership community feel, but also the opportunity that we give young players," Arran Pugh, Exeter City's academy director said.

"You look at players like Sonny Cox. Sometimes people forget how young he still is, we are so pleased with how well he has been doing this season. As a young player in a big league, sometimes you need the pressure off and he went off to Yeovil and did really well.

"Since he came back from there it has been fantastic to see not only his goals, but the way he has improved his ability to really secure the ball into him and link the play really well. It's not common for under-19 players to be playing and scoring regularly at this level, so it's absolutely fantastic.

"The loan programme has been a massive benefit to the club and the academy over the years. A lot of the younger lads have unfortunately had injuries this season, but the ones that have stayed fit have had loans and have had some really good experiences of men's football.

"When they go and play in these big men's games, that's important for when they transfer from academy to first team. We have some really good links within local clubs that are playing at very competitive levels and we can trust that they give these players opportunities that help them as clubs but also help our players."

The Grecians earlier this month announced that they are set to team up with the world's leading sports scholarship agency FirstPoint USA to create new opportunities for its Academy players to play and study in the States. Part of the club's Academy pathway, the partnership is designed to provide a route for players to continue playing at a high level, while developing their education, with FirstPoint USA providing expertise and support to those considering the option of a college scholarship in the US.

The question though is how long can City continue their remarkable run of academy players starting. Following several departures up the football league at the end of last season, manager Gary Caldwell has been left with fewer options to select from. Hartridge was holding the record up by himself at the start of the season, while Cox and Diabate in recent times have been the only academy product starting.

It would appear that the likes of Hartridge and Kite could be on their way out of St James Park with them out of contract at the end of the season – Diabate is also out of contract in the summer. While hopes are high for Jake Richards, he is only 16, while the age group who should be next off the ranks to step up have been hit with injuries, with the likes of Gabe Billington and Harrison King have missed most, if not, all of the season, while loan spells for the likes of Pedro Borges, Ed James and Mitch Beardmore perhaps haven't been as successful as hoped.

"It's a phenomenal record, but at some point all good things come to an end," Caldwell had said earlier in the season when asked about the record. "It's a record which looks pretty precarious at the moment. I will not pick a team just for the sake of keeping that record going.

"I am very aware of how important that record is to the club, and it is important to me as well that we try and keep it going, but with so many academy players leaving and there's a little bit of a gap in terms of players coming through, that record is a bit precarious."

With Cox though in top form having scored five goals since his return from his loan move at Yeovil Town and seemingly being Caldwell's first choice striker, the expectation is that the run will stretch to 473 when Charlton Athletic visit St James Park on Saturday. With Zak Jules suspended following his red card, Diabate or Hartridge are among the options to replace him on the left side of defence.

One day it seems certain that the eight and bit year run of academy players starting will come to an end. But even if it does, the importance of the academy in bringing through talent remains as vital as ever, with as a supporter-owned club, the Academy has been a vital source of first team talent, countrywide recognition, and valuable income.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-citys-academy-record-run-9186125

WhiteJC

The cheeky Liverpool and Fulham transfer swap deal that would see both sides emerge winners
An alternative take on Liverpool's interest in this £60 million summer target.

Liverpool are currently staring down the barrel of a gun loaded with uncertainty and apprehension. In just a matter of months, a lot is going to change at Anfield as Jurgen Klopp's time as manager is quickly ticking down.

Since the German announced he would be leaving the club at the end of this season, time has been racing by. Klopp dropped his bombshell statement in January and it's now almost April, but the buzz of pushing for as many final season trophies as possible has created a bubble around the reality of what is to come. When the games are finished and the title is decided, that's when it will really sink in for Liverpool fans.

There is still no concrete figure selected to replace Klopp, but the talks continue to clog up the transfer rumour mill. Alongside these ongoing stories, there are the player transfer rumours, the speculation over who will be sold in the summer, and of course, what the returning Michael Edwards and his new sporting director Richard Hughes can create together.

Plenty of high profile names have been linked to Anfield since the winter window and with this new chapter dawning, there is plenty of scope and reason for the club to enjoy a blockbuster haul of new signings. Amid this season's torrid bombardment of injuries, Liverpool need to recruit safety back-up options as well as household names who will slot straight into the starting lineup. Defenders appear to be the main priority ahead of the summer but Liverpool still haven't quite completely scratched their midfield itch either.

Last summer, the mass midfield exodus featuring Fabinho, James Milner and former captain Jordan Henderson left Klopp with wafer thin depth in his engine room. The injury-ridden Thiago became his most senior man, and his only option in the No.6 position was Stefan Bajčetić, who has made just 21 appearances for the Reds since breaking into the first team.

This is where the topic of Bajčetić's future and how he can potentially have an influence on Liverpool's summer spending comes in. The promising 19-year-old was touted as the next big star to emerge through the ranks at Liverpool — it certainly wouldn't have been surprising, anyway. After Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harvey Elliott, Conor Bradley and now the likes of Bobby Clark and Jayden Danns, Klopp and Liverpool can comfortably say they know what they're doing when it comes to nurturing young talent. Bajčetić was another headed for this list but others are now starting to catch him up.

Will there be a space for the Spanish midfielder when he returns from injury? Not only do Liverpool now have seven options to rotate around the middle of the park, they are actively being linked to other engine room players, both attacking and defensive-minded. So where does that leave Bajčetić?

Injuries can really sucker-punch a player's growth within a team and sadly, the 19-year-old star has gone from the topic of conversation as Liverpool's next rising talent, to a forgotten option that the Reds cannot even say they miss, as he hasn't had enough time with the team to be missed. It's a similar story for the likes of Fábio Carvalho and Sepp van den Berg — both viewed as stars for the future but never really got going and are now probably headed for the door.

Bajčetić's current contract doesn't expire until 2027 so the Reds have plenty of time to make a decision on his future. But with him now back in training after a long injury absence, Liverpool could consider using him as bargaining chip to get one of their priority transfer targets.

Fulham's João Palhinha has been on Liverpool's radar for some time now, and reports continue to keep fans guessing over whether they are looking to move for him this summer or not. The Cottagers are said to be looking for £60 million for the 28-year-old, and despite originally standing firm on keeping him at the club, their minds have been changed.

Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan recently confirmed they will 'have to consider' sensible offers for Palhinha this summer, which could open up the door for Liverpool. There will likely be some wiggle room in how much money Fulham will accept for the Portuguese midfielder, which is where a cheeky suggestion of a swap deal could actually benefit all involved.

The Reds could bump down that £60 million asking price by including the permanent signing of Bajčetić as part of the deal. They have been searching for a solid No.6 for months, and while Wataru Endō has slotted in nicely since his arrival, Liverpool need a real marquee signing in each position.

Like Liverpool, Fulham have limited options in the defensive midfield role. Palhinha is their only natural No.6, so they will need to replace him if they cash in this summer. By taking on Bajčetić and some cash, they have two options. Marco Silva could opt to give the 19-year-old the nod as his first choice and use the money to invest elsewhere, or the club could buy a replacement and build Bajčetić up as his deputy.

Last year, Bajčetić earned praise from Klopp and Mohamed Salah, as the boss described him as 'a joy to work with' and admitted he had been trialling the No.8 position to boost his versatility. Salah hailed his teammate as 'a great player and person' who 'always tries to work hard'.

Despite his limited time on the pitch, Bajčetić has impressed those at Liverpool, he just needs the opportunity to unleash his full potential. Providing him with a switch to a team where he could become their first choice, while gaining a top transfer target in return would tick boxes for all involved.

https://www.3addedminutes.com/sport/football/liverpool/the-cheeky-liverpool-fulham-transfer-swap-deal-would-both-sides-emerge-winners-4568406

WhiteJC

'I was Premier League's youngest ever player but turned to drugs and felt suicidal'
Former Fulham defender Matthew Briggs became the youngest player in Premier League history in 2007 – but the starlet hit rock bottom battling drugs, alcohol and suicide

Matthew Briggs became the youngest-ever Premier League player in May 2007

Former Fulham defender Matthew Briggs has opened up on his harrowing story from becoming the Premier League's youngest ever player to hitting rock bottom.

In May 2007, Briggs made his first-team debut for Fulham against Middlesbrough in a 3-1 defeat at the Riverside Stadium at the age of 16 years and 65 days to become the youngest player in Premier League history. His record stood for 12 years before Harvey Elliott made his Fulham bow in May 2019.

Fast forward 17 years, and a 33-year-old Briggs, who retired from football last summer after spells with Millwall, Colchester United and in non-league, has revealed how his star-light start soon fell away as he turned to alcohol and drugs unable to fulfil his football potential, sparking a serious mental health battle.

Speaking to Rising Ballers, Briggs opened up about his battles. He said: "I lost my hunger for the game. I was slipping further and further down the league just because my head wasn't right, picking up injuries because I wasn't looking after myself.

"Alcohol is not good for mental health as well...the bottom of the bottle is not going to help you. Disconnected from friends and family because I felt like I let them down. I turned to drugs, I turned to alcohol, just to numb it all.

"I was even suicidal at one point. I remember being on holiday in Dubai, one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and just thinking about ending it all on a balcony. Luckily security guards came in and got me down and moved my room to a bottom floor."

Briggs eventually sought counselling and therapy through the PFA after he found himself working on building sites with his uncle. He said: "I remember walking with a breeze block thinking how have I ended up here?

"I was the youngest ever Premier League player, the next England captain going on to do all these big things and now I'm just in a building site... I thought this is not it for me."

The former England U21 international retired with 15 caps for Guyana and two short spells in Denmark as well as turning out in the eighth and seventh tier of the English football pyramid. He's now back at Fulham working in a befitting role as an academy player care mentor.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/matthew-briggs-fulham-drugs-suicidal-32441354

WhiteJC

Fulham star appears to dismiss transfer speculation – But does have future plan in place
Fulham striker Raúl Jiménez has hinted he has no plans to leave the club this summer, pouring cold water on suggestions he could return to Mexico.

The forward has been speaking to Youtuber Dr Garcia, relayed by Telediario, about his career to date and what the future may hold for him too.

He's only been at Fulham since the summer, after joining from Wolves in a €6.4m deal, bringing an end to his five-year stay at Molineux.

He has enjoyed himself under Marco Silva, establishing himself as the first-choice striker earlier this season and scoring five goals in 20 games in the Premier League before injuries saw him replaced by Rodrigo Muniz.

His impressive performances, and a hamstring injury, have now left Jiménez on the outside looking in leading to suggestions he could be on the move in the summer.

A return to Mexico has often been mooted and a report earlier this month stated the Fulham striker had already made it clear he wanted to go home.

He half admitted that in an interview a week later but has now seemingly poured cold water on that happening any time soon.

"Yes, I have said that as long as I can (play) here in England, obviously without forcing, without seeing that I can't and still wanting to be here, but yes, as long as I can compete in the best league in the world, I will be here," he said.

Despite that, there is a plan to return to his homeland at some point, although it will only be with one club, his first team CF America.

"I think I've always said it, it would be the only team I would return to, I do, I'm telling you because there have already been cases... I would return to America, nothing else," he added.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-star-appears-dismiss-transfer-speculation-future-plan-place/

WhiteJC

How much Fulham paid for every first-team squad player on the transfer market
Bernd Leno – £8million
Fulham agreed to pay £8million to sign Bernd Leno from Arsenal in 2022, forking out £3million up front and another £5million in add-ons.

Marek Rodak – Youth
Slovakian stopper Marek Rodak joined Fulham from MFK Kosice as a 16-year-old. No fee was stated at the time and whilst Fulham may have paid a small fee, he is a success of the academy setup.

Steven Benda – £1million
Fulham pounced to sign Steven Benda from Swansea City last summer, paying just £1million to bring the German to West London.

Kenny Tete – £3million
A signing from back in 2020, Fulham landed Dutch right back Kenny Tete for just £3million from Lyon.

Timothy Castagne – £13.5million
Fulham raided relegated Leicester City last summer, paying £13.5million to bring full back Timothy Castagne to Craven Cottage.

Tosin Adarabioyo – £2million
Another signing from 2020, Fulham managed to lure Tosin Adarabioyo away from Manchester City for up to £2million.

Issa Diop – £15million
After securing promotion to the Premier League, Fulham paid £15million to bring in Issa Diop from London rivals West Ham United.

Calvin Bassey – £19million
Another significant defensive investment, Fulham splashed £19million on Calvin Bassey after a difficult year at Ajax.

Tim Ream – £2.3million
Long-serving Tim Ream joined from Bolton Wanderers in 2015 with Fulham agreeing to pay £1.75million rising to £2.3million.

Antonee Robinson – £2million
Fulham benefited from Wigan Athletic's financial woes in 2020, paying just £2million to sign left back Antonee Robinson.

Fode Ballo-Toure – Loan
Fulham left it late to sign left back Fode Ballo-Toure from AC Milan last summer, securing a loan deal with no fee reported at the time of his arrival.

Joao Palhinha – £20million
Arguably the biggest and best signing of the Marco Silva era, Fulham spent £20million on luring Joao Palhinha away from Sporting – which now looks like a bargain.

Harrison Reed – £8million
Fulham were impressed with midfielder Harrison Reed during a loan spell and paid £8million to turn his move from Southampton permanent in 2020.

Sasa Lukic – £8.8million
Seeking midfield depth in January 2023, Fulham signed Serbian international Sasa Lukic from Torino in a deal worth around £8.8million.

Tom Cairney – £3million
Another absolute bargain, midfielder Tom Cairney joined Fulham from Blackburn Rovers for just £3million in 2015.

Andreas Pereira – £10million
Brazil international Andreas Pereira quit Manchester United for Fulham in 2022, moving to Craven Cottage for £8million rising to £10million.

Alex Iwobi – £22million
Marco Silva reunited with his former Everton man Alex Iwobi in 2023, paying up to £22million to lure him away from Goodison Park.

Harry Wilson – £12million
Welsh ace Harry Wilson joined from Liverpool in 2021 with Fulham paying around £12million for his signature.

Bobby Decordova-Reid – £10million
January 2020 saw Fulham pay £10million for Bobby Decordova-Reid following a successful loan spell from Cardiff City.

Adama Traore – Free
Spanish winger Adama Traore was a free transfer addition in August, heading to London after his Wolverhampton Wanderers contract had expired.

Willian – Free
Another free signing, Willian joined Fulham for nothing after the end of his deal with Corinthians in Brazil in 2022.

Raul Jimenez – £5.5million
Marco Silva wanted an experienced striker last summer and paid £5.5million to lure Mexican ace Raul Jimenez from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Armando Broja – Loan
Chelsea forward Armando Broja is on loan at Fulham but will cost around £4million in fees having suffered with a lack of playing time since his arrival.

Rodrigo Muniz – £6.8million
Brazilian forward Rodrigo Muniz cost around £6.8million back in 2021 as Fulham snapped him up from Flamengo.

Carlos Vinicius – £9.5million
Currently on loan at Galatasaray, Carlos Vinicius cost €5million (£4.3million) rising to €11million (£9.5million) as he swapped Benfica for Fulham.

Terence Kongolo – £7million
Dutch defender Terence Kongolo is surprisingly still on the books at Fulham despite making no impact since arriving from Huddersfield Town for £4million rising to £7million in 2020. Currently on loan at Rapid Vienna.

Kevin Mbabu – £6.3million
Kevin Mbabu is another player currently out on loan having joined Augsburg just a year after Fulham secured a £6.3million move from Wolfsburg.

https://www.fulham.news/2024/03/26/how-much-fulham-paid-for-every-first-team-squad-player-on-the-transfer-market/

WhiteJC

'Amazing' 22-year-old striker must now regret not pushing for Wolves move in January
Wolves tried and failed to sign a new striker in January – but one player might be wishing he had pushed harder for a move to Molineux.

Gary O'Neil really wanted to bring in a new centre-forward in the last window, and had even sanctioned the loan exits of Fabio Silva and Sasa Kalajdzic, seemingly because was confident he'd get his wish.

But as the window wore on, it became more and more apparent that there wasn't much wiggle room for Wolves.

The financial situation was still a little bit precarious, and it really hindered the club when it came to making additions.

One player the club targeted late on was Armando Broja, who is actually probably wishing now that he had moved to Molineux...

Armando Broja has barely played for Fulham since joining them over Wolves
After seeing a deal for Yuri Alberto collapse, Wolves attempted to sign Armando Broja on deadline day.

At one stage it looked as though Wanderers had a decent chance, but ultimately, a deal could not be financed.

Fulham reportedly paid £4 million to take the Albanian for the rest of the season, which is quite steep given his goalscoring record of eight goals in 62 games in the Premier League with Chelsea and Southampton.

Broja – a player Mauricio Pochettino thinks has 'amazing potential' – made the move to Craven Cottage believing he would be able to get more minutes under his belt.

But so far, he has really struggled for opportunities under Marco Silva.

He's made just four appearances so far, and played for a total of just 47 minutes.

Silva's Fulham have been in decent form, although they did lose 2-1 to Wolves of course, and the manager has been a bit reluctant to change things up. Rodrigo Muniz has been the preferred man up top.

Both Chelsea and Broja may wish he had joined Wolves
It has been surprising to see how little Broja has played for Fulham since he moved to Craven Cottage, given how much they paid Chelsea for his loan.

But Silva has been quite taken by Muniz, and he also has former Wolves striker Raul Jimenez as an option.

It may well be that Broja is slightly regretting not pushing harder to join Wolves, who have been absolutely crying out for a striker. At the moment, Nathan Fraser is having to lead the line and it's not easy for the teenager.

Obviously, Wolves couldn't meet Chelsea's demands, but had Broja pushed then the Blues might have been more willing to cooperate.

Chelsea are also likely to be slightly frustrated with Broja's lack of game time at Fulham.

They will have wanted him to feature heavily, as it will be their goal to sell him for as much as possible this summer. Ultimately, he can't drive up his market value if he isn't playing.

https://www.molineux.news/transfer-news/amazing-22-year-old-striker-must-now-regret-not-pushing-for-wolves-move-in-january/

WhiteJC

"They want me to stay" – Fulham player reveals club's offer for contract renewal, hasn't decided yet
Fulham winger Willian is still not sure whether he'll stay at the club for another season or leave this summer.

The 35-year-old is this week featured in an interview with Brazilian outlet Trivela, as he had quite a long conversation about his career and his plans.

Since Willian's contract with Fulham expires at the end of the season, he was quizzed whether he's keen on signing a new deal with the club, with his answer making it clear he hasn't taken a decision yet.

"Staying in London, I think it would be good, it would be perfect. But I still haven't decided what my next step will be. As you said, I'm already 35, I'm coming to the end of my career, right? So you have to think very carefully about your decisions, what's going to be the best place, what's going to be the next step. But if I could, of course, stay in London, be in London, it would be good, it would be perfect."

Now even though the player is still to make up his mind, he revealed that Fulham's wish is to keep him in the squad.

"Fulham have already signalled that they want me to stay. They want me to stay, to renew my contract. But together with my agent, we've said that we'll only resolve this at the end of the season. I think the best way to do it at the moment is to tell them to wait, because I also have to decide if it's going to be here or if I'm going somewhere else, so I told them to wait a bit."

In the same interview, Willian claimed that he'd still like to fight for titles, so depending on the offers he has on the table, that may be a decisive factor for his choice.

Featuring for Fulham this season, the winger has five goals and two assists in 30 games so far.

Last week, when Trivela released another bit of this interview, he revealed that Manchester United tried to sign him, as he had a conversation with Erik ten Hag about that possibility.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/want-stay-fulham-player-reveals-clubs-offer-contract-renewal-hasnt-decided-yet/

WhiteJC

Has Fulham benefitted from VAR?

Josh Hallmark looks into the numbers to see if how much everyone's favourite football technology has helped the Whites.

VAR was introduced to the Premier League in 2019 with the aim to give the referees an extra pair of eyes. On paper, the idea has the ingredients to be a success, but, in England, it has been far from it. In fact, more than 20 high-profile errors have been made so far this season. The potential of it seems to have been achieved in other countries, where VAR only intervenes an average of once every three games. In the Premier League, we get this many in a single game.

For Fulham this season, VAR has certainly not gone unnoticed. We have been involved in five overturns – four in our favour – but has VAR done us any good by checking the correct things and making a minimal number of errors?

Error after error

Fulham have had three more goal decisions in our favour compared to goal decisions against us. This doesn't take into account obvious errors that have been made. So far this season in the Premier League, there have been two incorrect overturns, one wrongly-rejected overturn from the referee at the monitor and 17 interventions missed.

The most memorable error that VAR made against us was against Manchester City. This was the time Nathan Ake headed the ball in the back of the net whilst Akanji was blocking the vision of Leno in an offside position, yet the goal was still given.

More recently in the Carabao Cup final between Chelsea and Liverpool, Van Dijk's first goal was disallowed for a similar reason in terms of an offside player interfering with play but arguably to a lesser extent. Endo was in an offside position and obstructed Colwill, supposedly giving Van Dijk an advantage to score. This didn't stop him, however.

Unclear and not obvious

We have benefitted from VAR four times this season. A disallowed goal for United at home, penalty decision ruled out against Villa away, a penalty awarded when we faced Wolves at home, and finally Tete's goal allowed against Liverpool after an incorrect offside decision. This means that without VAR, we would have two fewer points.

While it may look like we have benefited from VAR, many factors haven't been taken into account that skew the data. Firstly, as mentioned previously, it doesn't consider the errors that have been made by VAR. Therefore, the difference in league positions would be considerably different.

Secondly, VAR arguably provides referees with more assurance. With VAR behind their back referees become too reliant on it, thus being more reluctant to make a decision. The problem with this is that VAR will only overturn a decision if a "clear and obvious" error has been made by the official. There is no "clear and obvious" definition of clear and obvious. This means that the actual table without VAR would be very different to the hypothetical table as VAR has an impact on the behaviour and autonomy of the referees.

The third reason is because of the psychological effect it has on the players. In the City game, the controversy arose from their goal that made it 2-1. Having a wrong decision made against you can demotivate a team which has a knock-on effect on the team's performance for the rest of the game. This contributed to a 5-1 loss. Had the goal been disallowed, it would have been 1-1 and there would have been more hope and potentially, we could have got more in this game. With VAR making errors so often it is better to scrap it as human error made by a referee's poor judgement are more understandable. There is no 'correct' decision and not everyone is ever going to be in an agreement.

Entertainment > accuracy

The league however says that 96% of decisions made are now correct compared to 82% before VAR was introduced in 2019. While this looks like a major improvement, our history-making Carabao cup run this season has reminded us of football without VAR. Watching goals go in and not even having a feeling that it might get ruled out was refreshing. All it took was a glance over at the linesman once it hit the back of the net to see if it was offside or not and there was no waiting long periods of time to see if the goal had been allowed.

It takes an average of 55 seconds per intervention with an average of two-to-three per game. In the Premier League, having VAR in the back of your mind takes the joy out of celebrations. Moments such as Iwobi's last minute winner against Man United away. This is especially true when a player is through on goal when everyone stops and appeals, such as Lookman's goal against United in the COVID season. The entertainment of the game is being sacrificed for accuracy. It is as simple as football is more enjoyable to watch without it no matter how many errors it has reduced.

"Fine margins"

Since being introduced, VAR has only led to more confusion regarding rules. It's unclear if even the referees know what the current handball rule is. The most bewildering moment that led to much controversy was Mario Lemina's incident against Spurs at home in the 2020/21 season. The ball struck Lemina's arm while it was completely by his side, which fell kindly for Josh Maja to score the equaliaer that was later ruled out for handball. Since then, an "accidental" handball will no longer be deemed an offence in the build-up to a goal. Also, if a player makes their body "unnaturally bigger" when handling the ball, then they will be penalised. Given these rules, Lemina's goal would have stood.

Controversy and lack of consistency remains due to the subjectivity of the issue. It's not just handballs, but offsides too. The powers that be decided to make the lines thicker in order to reduce the precision so that the tiniest of margins won't rule a player offside. While these have been positive rule changes, they have only been brought about because of VAR and have only caused more uncertainty around the laws of football.

The bottom line

VAR has certainly fallen short of expectations and has instead led to widespread controversy. Since its introduction, it has been at the forefront of complicated rule changes and controversial decision-making. Fulham, among probably all other teams, have been on the receiving end of poor VAR officiating. With or without it, errors are going to exist so there's no point wasting so much time to come to a conclusion on a subjective issue. VAR is nowhere near perfect and at its current influence, it does not deserve to remain in the Premier League. Football is simply better with its absence.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2024-03-26-has-fulham-benefitted-from-var/?utm_content=cmp-true

WhiteJC

Chelsea transfer news: The three senior stars set to be sold by 30th June are revealed
Chelsea will listen to offers for Conor Gallagher, Trevoh Chalobah and Armando Broja this summer, sources have told Football Insider.

Speaking on the latest edition of Football Insider's Inside Track podcast, senior correspondent Pete O'Rourke revealed that the trio could be the first three senior players sacrificed to help the Blues stay within profit and sustainability regulations.

Chelsea have recorded losses of £211.5million in the last two seasons, but regulations only allow £105million worth of losses over three years.

Well-placed sources have told Football Insider that these players would need to be sold before 30th June to avoid a potential points deduction.

Conor Gallagher among first three Chelsea stars to go
Gallagher, 24, has been heavily linked with a move to rivals Tottenham, with Football Insider revealing (24 March) that they are preparing an initial £30-40million bid early this summer.

Talks regarding a new deal for Gallagher, whose contract expires at the end of next season, have stalled which has opened the door for the Lilywhites to sign him from the underpressure Blues.

Chalobah, 24, had been widely linked with an exit from Stamford Bridge in January but has recently returned to the starting line-up after a lengthy spell out injured.

Regardless, it is believed that Chelsea see him as a sellable asset who would garner plenty of interest in the off-season.

Broja, 22, moved on loan for the remainder of the season to fellow West Londoners Fulham in January but is yet to get his first goal for his new side.

Sources told Football Insider (22 January) that Chelsea wanted at least £50million for Broja's permanent departure in January.

Chelsea sit 11th in the Premier League table and most recently advanced to the FA Cup semi-finals after their 4-2 win against Championship side Leicester City.

They are next set to face Burnley at Stamford Bridge on 30 March after the international break.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/chelsea-transfer-news-the-three-senior-stars-set-to-be-sold-by-30th-june-are-revealed/

WhiteJC

Go Behind-The-Scenes at Craven Cottage This Easter

Book your place onto one of our Stadium Tours today!

Experience Craven Cottage like never before as you go behind-the-scenes of our iconic home in SW6.

Commencing at the Johnny Haynes Statue on Stevenage Road, you'll be guided through the key locations around the ground including the home & away dressing rooms, the historic Cottage itself and much more!

With slots available throughout the Easter holidays, it's the perfect time to enjoy a stadium tour with your family & friends.

BOOK YOUR PLACE

To find out more about our tours, please click here.

You can book your tour online, by calling 0203 841 9057 or by emailing [email protected].

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/march/26/go-behind-the-scenes-at-craven-cottage-this-easter/

WhiteJC

Willian: 'Fulham want me to stay
Willian has revealed that Fulham want him to stay at Craven Cottage – but the veteran Brazilian winger insists he has yet to make up his mind on his precise future plans.

The 35 year-old has been a revelation since he signed for the Whites on a free transfer after cancelling his Corinthians contract in September 2022 and extended his current deal with the west London club last summer after interest from Saudi Arabia and Nottingham Forest.

In the second instalment of his interview with Trivela, Willian said:

"Staying in London, I think it would be good, it would be perfect. But I still haven't decided what my next step will be. As you said, I'm already 35, I'm coming to the end of my career, right? So you have to think very carefully about your decisions, what's going to be the best place, what's going to be the next step. But if I could, of course, stay in London, be in London, it would be good, it would be perfect.

Fulham have already signalled that they want me to stay. They want me to stay, to renew my contract. But together with my agent, we've said that we'll only resolve this at the end of the season. I think the best way to do it at the moment is to tell them to wait, because I also have to decide if it's going to be here or if I'm going somewhere else, so I told them to wait a bit."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/03/willian-fulham-want-me-to-stay/

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 26, 2024, 11:43:11 PMThe cheeky Liverpool and Fulham transfer swap deal that would see both sides emerge winners

Liverpool are currently staring down the barrel of a gun loaded with uncertainty and apprehension. In just a matter of months, a lot is going to change at Anfield as Jurgen Klopp's time as manager is quickly ticking down.

Since the German announced he would be leaving the club at the end of this season, time has been racing by. Klopp dropped his bombshell statement in January and it's now almost April, but the buzz of pushing for as many final season trophies as possible has created a bubble around the reality of what is to come. When the games are finished and the title is decided, that's when it will really sink in for Liverpool fans.

There is still no concrete figure selected to replace Klopp, but the talks continue to clog up the transfer rumour mill. Alongside these ongoing stories, there are the player transfer rumours, the speculation over who will be sold in the summer, and of course, what the returning Michael Edwards and his new sporting director Richard Hughes can create together.

Plenty of high profile names have been linked to Anfield since the winter window and with this new chapter dawning, there is plenty of scope and reason for the club to enjoy a blockbuster haul of new signings. Amid this season's torrid bombardment of injuries, Liverpool need to recruit safety back-up options as well as household names who will slot straight into the starting lineup. Defenders appear to be the main priority ahead of the summer but Liverpool still haven't quite completely scratched their midfield itch either.

Last summer, the mass midfield exodus featuring Fabinho, James Milner and former captain Jordan Henderson left Klopp with wafer thin depth in his engine room. The injury-ridden Thiago became his most senior man, and his only option in the No.6 position was Stefan Bajčetić, who has made just 21 appearances for the Reds since breaking into the first team.

This is where the topic of Bajčetić's future and how he can potentially have an influence on Liverpool's summer spending comes in. The promising 19-year-old was touted as the next big star to emerge through the ranks at Liverpool — it certainly wouldn't have been surprising, anyway. After Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harvey Elliott, Conor Bradley and now the likes of Bobby Clark and Jayden Danns, Klopp and Liverpool can comfortably say they know what they're doing when it comes to nurturing young talent. Bajčetić was another headed for this list but others are now starting to catch him up.

Will there be a space for the Spanish midfielder when he returns from injury? Not only do Liverpool now have seven options to rotate around the middle of the park, they are actively being linked to other engine room players, both attacking and defensive-minded. So where does that leave Bajčetić?

Injuries can really sucker-punch a player's growth within a team and sadly, the 19-year-old star has gone from the topic of conversation as Liverpool's next rising talent, to a forgotten option that the Reds cannot even say they miss, as he hasn't had enough time with the team to be missed. It's a similar story for the likes of Fábio Carvalho and Sepp van den Berg — both viewed as stars for the future but never really got going and are now probably headed for the door.

Bajčetić's current contract doesn't expire until 2027 so the Reds have plenty of time to make a decision on his future. But with him now back in training after a long injury absence, Liverpool could consider using him as bargaining chip to get one of their priority transfer targets.

Fulham's João Palhinha has been on Liverpool's radar for some time now, and reports continue to keep fans guessing over whether they are looking to move for him this summer or not. The Cottagers are said to be looking for £60 million for the 28-year-old, and despite originally standing firm on keeping him at the club, their minds have been changed.

Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan recently confirmed they will 'have to consider' sensible offers for Palhinha this summer, which could open up the door for Liverpool. There will likely be some wiggle room in how much money Fulham will accept for the Portuguese midfielder, which is where a cheeky suggestion of a swap deal could actually benefit all involved.

The Reds could bump down that £60 million asking price by including the permanent signing of Bajčetić as part of the deal. They have been searching for a solid No.6 for months, and while Wataru Endō has slotted in nicely since his arrival, Liverpool need a real marquee signing in each position.

Like Liverpool, Fulham have limited options in the defensive midfield role. Palhinha is their only natural No.6, so they will need to replace him if they cash in this summer. By taking on Bajčetić and some cash, they have two options. Marco Silva could opt to give the 19-year-old the nod as his first choice and use the money to invest elsewhere, or the club could buy a replacement and build Bajčetić up as his deputy.

Last year, Bajčetić earned praise from Klopp and Mohamed Salah, as the boss described him as 'a joy to work with' and admitted he had been trialling the No.8 position to boost his versatility. Salah hailed his teammate as 'a great player and person' who 'always tries to work hard'.

Despite his limited time on the pitch, Bajčetić has impressed those at Liverpool, he just needs the opportunity to unleash his full potential. Providing him with a switch to a team where he could become their first choice, while gaining a top transfer target in return would tick boxes for all involved.

https://www.3addedminutes.com/sport/football/liverpool/the-cheeky-liverpool-fulham-transfer-swap-deal-would-both-sides-emerge-winners-4568406
So we take an unknown unproven player from Liverpool while they get a proven one at this level. No doubt they will say he is worth far more than he is due to potential, but if he was that good they would not be offering him up as a make weight.

White Knight

Quote from: Bill2 on March 27, 2024, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on March 26, 2024, 11:43:11 PMThe cheeky Liverpool and Fulham transfer swap deal that would see both sides emerge winners

So we take an unknown unproven player from Liverpool while they get a proven one at this level. No doubt they will say he is worth far more than he is due to potential, but if he was that good they would not be offering him up as a make weight.

Agree