watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Willian may be on his way...

Started by Jim©, March 27, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

Here's a few snippets from an interview that Willian had with a Brazilian sports news outlet:

Fulham winger Willian is still not sure whether he'll stay at the club for another season or leave this summer.

Since Willian's contract with Fulham expires at the end of the season, he was quizzed whether he's keen on signing a new deal with the club, with his answer making it clear he hasn't taken a decision yet.

"Staying in London, I think it would be good, it would be perfect. But I still haven't decided what my next step will be. As you said, I'm already 35, I'm coming to the end of my career, right? So you have to think very carefully about your decisions, what's going to be the best place, what's going to be the next step. But if I could, of course, stay in London, be in London, it would be good, it would be perfect."

Now even though the player is still to make up his mind, he revealed that Fulham's wish is to keep him in the squad.

"Fulham have already signalled that they want me to stay. They want me to stay, to renew my contract. But together with my agent, we've said that we'll only resolve this at the end of the season. I think the best way to do it at the moment is to tell them to wait, because I also have to decide if it's going to be here or if I'm going somewhere else, so I told them to wait a bit."

In the same interview, Willian claimed that he'd still like to fight for titles, so depending on the offers he has on the table, that may be a decisive factor for his choice.

Featuring for Fulham this season, the winger has five goals and two assists in 30 games so far.

I feel a tiny bit pi**ed off with him reading this. We gave him a way back to the Prem after a torrid time in Brazil (and at Arsenal) and you'd think he'd repay a bit of that faith? It could of course just be posturing, but not sure he's the type to do that?

Thailand Mick

I was someone who thought we should have given him the two-year contract that he was rumored to be after last year, but now I think we should give him the contract and say if you don't sign it by the end of the season then it's off the table. We can't keep having this uncertainty every year. He says he wants to fight for titles and staying in London would be perfect so where is he going to go because it won't be to Arsenal. I would think he probably only has a maximum of two years left playing at the top and at the moment he is a first-choice player for us. I already stated in another post that we should target two forwards this window (ffp allowing) that can play anywhere across the front line so that would cover his position, from what I've read he is one of the top earners at the club and he has had a few Niggling injuries which is to be expected at his age. Without doubt he has been a joy to watch and an asset for our club but sometimes its best to move on.

jayffc

He's a top player who wants one last shot at winning a title to retire at the top... OK

On a personal level, I get it, but I agree that no title-contending club wanted him, he was considered washed by those clubs, and we trusted him, believed in him and gave him that platform again. So this is a pretty ugly kick in the teeth in my opinion, basically advertising himself out to other bigger London clubs? Dare I say it - I get the sense he'd probably jump at the chance to rejoin Chelsea and retire there.

No thanks pal, off you trot then, have loved watching him but clearly, when it comes to sense of belonging here- there's little to none for him. He messed about last year with Nottingham Forest too didn't he?

In reality - he's 35, and we'd be replacing him in a year anyway - so looks like time to turn our attentions to the next generation. So be it.

Whitestone

Regardless of his personal position I hope the club are targeting his replacement. If he stays great but the club comes first and another summer of him hedging his bets isn't good.

bog

At the final whistle in the 2nd leg of the League Cup semi he looked extremely dejected. He is used to the big games and playing in finals. I hope he stays for one more season.       

alfie

Quote from: jayffc on March 27, 2024, 10:53:57 AMHe's a top player who wants one last shot at winning a title to retire at the top... OK

On a personal level, I get it, but I agree that no title-contending club wanted him, he was considered washed by those clubs, and we trusted him, believed in him and gave him that platform again. So this is a pretty ugly kick in the teeth in my opinion, basically advertising himself out to other bigger London clubs? Dare I say it - I get the sense he'd probably jump at the chance to rejoin Chelsea and retire there.

No thanks pal, off you trot then, have loved watching him but clearly, when it comes to sense of belonging here- there's little to none for him. He messed about last year with Nottingham Forest too didn't he?

In reality - he's 35, and we'd be replacing him in a year anyway - so looks like time to turn our attentions to the next generation. So be it.
He has given us 2 years of fantastic football, personally I think he has paid his dues, and if he wants a final chance to win something then good luck to him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

H4usuallysitting

If he goes, it opens up a first team spot for somebody else.... nobody is bigger than the club....

He wants to stay in London & win titles.... can't think of a London team that suits.....

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes over to the States, as that's the other place he wants to live

Lighthouse

I think we should thank him for his time with us whatever he decides. He is an outstanding player at the top level but he is 35 and we may have players who can do a job for us who are younger and happy for the chance. We should be used to it by now. Players still use us as a way back or a way forward. Not many see Fulham as a long term career anymore. Football has changed. Players just don't stick with one club and to be fair it isn't always the players fault.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jamie88

I wouldn't read into that that he's on his way. He literally said staying in London would be perfect and that Fulham want him to stay.

I guess what it might mean is, he wants to wait and see how it plays out because he won't want to be second fiddle if we bring in a new winger or two.

btffc

My guess is he wants to skip part of preseason to have more time off so he is stalling and will sign in mid-to-late July like he did last year.

jayffc

Quote from: alfie on March 27, 2024, 11:08:49 AM
Quote from: jayffc on March 27, 2024, 10:53:57 AMHe's a top player who wants one last shot at winning a title to retire at the top... OK

He has given us 2 years of fantastic football, personally I think he has paid his dues, and if he wants a final chance to win something then good luck to him.

No issue with him wanting a final chance to win something if the opportunity arises, just this interview sounds like pimping oneself out to other rival London clubs before the seasons even out, which if the case would be a bit distasteful really.

Don't generally begrudge players big moves if they arise, it just makes it a bit hard to carry on enjoying that player at the club I love, when we're clearly stated by them as the backup option to that person.

peachcobbler

The dissonance in this thread....

You wanted him for 2 years, you sign him for 2 years... you don't sign him for a year and then expect loyalty from a player when the club showed none.

Willian owes us nothing, he came on a free, and he has earned his way back into the Prem. Whatever loyalty he might have owed us was used up when we refused to sign him to a 2 year.

Just like clubs will do what is in their best interest, players can too. He has every right to wait till the end of the year.

jayffc

Quote from: Jamie88 on March 27, 2024, 11:25:05 AMI wouldn't read into that that he's on his way. He literally said staying in London would be perfect and that Fulham want him to stay.

I guess what it might mean is, he wants to wait and see how it plays out because he won't want to be second fiddle if we bring in a new winger or two.

This is rose tinting what he's saying, He's "literally" saying - London...not Fulham.

Depends on exact wording of interview and if translation is correct

But if this translation is accurate - he says he wants to stay in London, live in London, but he's openly courting with his agent to see what London teams challenging for titles might want him.

reads very much from that wording as - I would sign for a bigger London club - because I like living in this city (as he's mentioned before) .... and Fulham want me so I have that option, but if there's a better london club I'll go there because I want to finish my career challenging for trophies while ideally living in London still.

If it's between us and say, a bigger club out of London - it seems then perhaps he tosses up challenging for silverware to end his career but not living where he loves, with staying where he likes living but having a smaller chance of winning anything by staying at Fulham.

jayffc

Quote from: peachcobbler on March 27, 2024, 11:48:22 AMThe dissonance in this thread....

You wanted him for 2 years, you sign him for 2 years... you don't sign him for a year and then expect loyalty from a player when the club showed none.

Willian owes us nothing, he came on a free, and he has earned his way back into the Prem. Whatever loyalty he might have owed us was used up when we refused to sign him to a 2 year.

Just like clubs will do what is in their best interest, players can too. He has every right to wait till the end of the year.

He's 35 now 36 by the new season- no one was offering him a 2-year deal at that time, and that's perfectly reasonable to understand why, you don't know how his body will continue to hold up and so you continue to monitor. His only other option was Nottingham Forest and they only offered him a year also. He's basically been on a year rolling contract and we've again very early it seems made clear we want to keep him on.

That's the reality of being that age and wanting to play at the top table. No ones saying he has to stamp Fulham on his forehead, but it's fine and justified to feel it a bit distasteful to be outwardly pimping oneself out to rival London clubs specifically in interviews before the seasons out.

filham

I have really enjoyed watching Willian and it has been great having a player of his quality at the Cottage.

However if he now wants to play at a top club where he can pick up silverware so be it but he can't expect us to be his fallback option in the event of none of the big clubs being prepared to offer him a contract.

Thailand Mick

My wild guess he has seen that Chelsea have to sell players because of FFP and maybe someone has suggested he could go back there on a free and play a part while they get their finances sorted out.

Holders

I think that's a ratter pessimistic reading of what he said, he wants to review it with his agent at the end of the season, as he did last year. Fair enough. If we'd signed him for two years it would be different. Cake/eat.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

General

Weren't there articles in the last week or two saying he had a chat with Ten Hag at utd last summer before deciding to stick with us. I'm glad he's at the club, he's quality in every way and we're lucky to have him. If he can keep performing I hope he stays.

I really want us to keep our best players and keep building the squad.

We were very close to getting to a cup final this year and that was without iwobi and bassey and one or two others. We're very close to competing for silverware, even more so on the evidence that we can beat the top teams e.g. our wins vs man utd, arsenal and spurs recently.

Rupert

If he wants to stay, and we want him for another year and can agree terms, then he will stay. If not, he will not stay. I do not understand why some people have an issue with this. He has been a great asset for us as we have re-established ourselves in the top flight, and I am grateful for his contribution, without demanding that he bleeds black and white.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Jim© on March 27, 2024, 09:42:54 AMHere's a few snippets from an interview that Willian had with a Brazilian sports news outlet:

Fulham winger Willian is still not sure whether he'll stay at the club for another season or leave this summer.

Since Willian's contract with Fulham expires at the end of the season, he was quizzed whether he's keen on signing a new deal with the club, with his answer making it clear he hasn't taken a decision yet.

"Staying in London, I think it would be good, it would be perfect. But I still haven't decided what my next step will be. As you said, I'm already 35, I'm coming to the end of my career, right? So you have to think very carefully about your decisions, what's going to be the best place, what's going to be the next step. But if I could, of course, stay in London, be in London, it would be good, it would be perfect."

Now even though the player is still to make up his mind, he revealed that Fulham's wish is to keep him in the squad.

"Fulham have already signalled that they want me to stay. They want me to stay, to renew my contract. But together with my agent, we've said that we'll only resolve this at the end of the season. I think the best way to do it at the moment is to tell them to wait, because I also have to decide if it's going to be here or if I'm going somewhere else, so I told them to wait a bit."

In the same interview, Willian claimed that he'd still like to fight for titles, so depending on the offers he has on the table, that may be a decisive factor for his choice.

Featuring for Fulham this season, the winger has five goals and two assists in 30 games so far.

I feel a tiny bit pi**ed off with him reading this. We gave him a way back to the Prem after a torrid time in Brazil (and at Arsenal) and you'd think he'd repay a bit of that faith? It could of course just be posturing, but not sure he's the type to do that?

How can you be peed off with him? He's given us two good seasons and more than repaid our faith in him. Hopefully he stays but there will be no hard feelings from me if he doesn't.