News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Marco Silva the Best Manager Fulham have ever had ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, April 17, 2024, 04:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

I think the way he has dealt with this season, that he may well be. It could easily have been a nightmare the way things were at the start, I definitely thought it would be a relegation battle season.

I really hope he is not going anywhere, he is truly the most important part of this team, and really hope and think he will push on and maybe win a cup or two and also get into Europe.

His manner and demeanour are very impressive, and he sets his teams out in a positive way, from what isn't the strongest squad.

I think he may well be the best manager Fulham have ever had.

Rambler

Until he exceeds what Roy did taking us to a major European cup final then the answer is no

bog

He is certainly one of the best. I just hope he stays next season.

ChesterTheTabby

He's up there with Roy, he's surpassed Tigana for me.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

WindyCity

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on April 17, 2024, 04:43:22 PMI think the way he has dealt with this season, that he may well be. It could easily have been a nightmare the way things were at the start, I definitely thought it would be a relegation battle season.

I think this is the most important thing....the way this season started, the Metro departure, the possible departures of MS himself, Willian and Palhinha.  And at the time, no identifiable striker.  Then later on, a full month with no Iwobi/Bassey.  Quite a bit of confusion and uncertainty.  I can't comment on whether or not he is FFC's best ever, but I do think this has been a terrific season and accomplishment, all things considered, and big wins v ManU, Arsenal and Spurs.  Would be a shame if he were to depart next season.

gang

Eton White

I think he may well be the best we've had.

Roy will always be up there because of the Europa League final, the great escape, and the succession of years in the top flight, but his football philosophy is very different to Marco's. Instead of being pragmatic, solid and difficult to break down, Marco is achieving similar levels of success in the league playing attacking attractive football.

Marco also seems to have the ability to motivate and improve players. So many players have joined Fulham since he came and are playing better than they ever have at other clubs. Team morale seems to be sky high at the moment - I don't think I've ever seen a tighter knit, happier Fulham squad. The players seem to really enjoy playing for him.

If Marco stays with us for a few more seasons, I really think he can surpass what we achieved under Roy.

Nick Bateman

He probably is. My other favourite was Kevin Keegan. While Silva is tactically superior, Keegan was all-out-attack and he took us through the divisions once at the helm. We were scuppered by the FA who stole him from us and they still haven't repaid the favour with the treatment we get from the refs today!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

General

We need to go up to the next level with Marco.

In current terms we need more consistency performance wise and with that some top ten finishes and European football, or at least increase the chances of it. On Curr form, incoming and outgoings player wise we're more likely to get to a final of a domestic cup.

The question then is whether we win that and whether we sustain our growth beyond that or don't make the most of it.

Then it'll be a question of whether a European final is equal, greater or less of an achievement than winning a domestic final..?

I'd argue the competition is harder in Europe, there's more travel and circumstantial differences, like differences in tactics, style of play etc and so an European final would, for me at least, be considered a greater feat.

With that in mind though, if we won a domestic title it would for me be an equal footing, as you'd undoubtedly need to be a top team to do so, just not as many and they'd be more familiar for us, both in terms of stadia and tactics.

I think the gauge of which would be greater is to ask if we'd win both, or got to the final of both, which would carry greater weight. Europe would win in both instances there.

So if we won a domestic title, Marco would go to an even keel for me with Roy.

That being said it'd be very close and I would consider Marco closer to surpassing Roy if he stayed and continued to build here, due to longevity, winning us the title in the championship and achieving the above, I also think Marco is an equal or better man manager but has the benefit of youth on his side.

If we keep Marco and back him properly, it doesn't feel as it any of the above is out of reach.

demeant0r

Quote from: WindyCity on April 17, 2024, 05:34:57 PM
Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on April 17, 2024, 04:43:22 PMI think the way he has dealt with this season, that he may well be. It could easily have been a nightmare the way things were at the start, I definitely thought it would be a relegation battle season.

I think this is the most important thing....the way this season started, the Metro departure, the possible departures of MS himself, Willian and Palhinha.  And at the time, no identifiable striker.  Then later on, a full month with no Iwobi/Bassey.  Quite a bit of confusion and uncertainty.  I can't comment on whether or not he is FFC's best ever, but I do think this has been a terrific season and accomplishment, all things considered, and big wins v ManU, Arsenal and Spurs.  Would be a shame if he were to depart next season.

The Iwobi/Bassey thing could be easily avoided if we didn't buy players who were always going to be away for a month mid-season. But they make up for it fully by being undroppable the rest of the season.

As to whether he's the best manager we've had, he's certainly the best attacking-minded manager we've had after giving us two semi-finals in two years. But still some ways to surpass Hodgson.

sunburywhite

Romantically nobody will ever beat Roy

It then comes down to the time with Keegan, what Tiigana did, the rise and fall under Slav
For me he is better than the last three but he will have to walk across hot coals to beat Roy
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

alfie

I must be the odd one out here, as I didn't like Roy'S football.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Angus Telford

Still ranks behind Roy for me for the reasons given above, but I think he's the first for 40 odd years to have the potential to do better if/when he leaves (unlike Roy)

colinwhite

its not just a question of results or how we play (which have been fantastic ) but his ability to get the best out of and develop players in multi positions and regardless of age which impresses me.Roy did a fantastic job for us so it hard to compare them but for me Marco is the more complete trainer.

gang

Quote from: alfie on April 17, 2024, 08:34:20 PMI must be the odd one out here, as I didn't like Roy'S football.

I agree, under Roy I always felt 0-0 was on the cards.
However,it was a great time and introduced me to Fulham from Sankt Pauli.

Chi_FFC

Quote from: alfie on April 17, 2024, 08:34:20 PMI must be the odd one out here, as I didn't like Roy'S football.
I'm with you. The results were certainly good, but the football (especially in the PL) was far too dull for my liking. Fulham scored 95 goals in the 94 PL matches managed by Roy. We passed the 95 goal total under Marco a few weeks ago against Tottenham...in only his 67th PL match in charge.

Southcoastffc

Tigana, Roy, Slavisa and Marco all deserve great credit for what they have brought to the club.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

spikey norman

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 17, 2024, 10:12:23 PMTigana, Roy, Slavisa and Marco all deserve great credit for what they have brought to the club.
As well as Alec Stock

H4usuallysitting

I think Roy is still first, but Marco does seem a very good fit for Fulham....with a fair wind we could have a decent cup run with him... problem is - we always have one eye looking over our shoulder at the magic 40 point's