watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nottingham Forest accuse referee and VAR of bias

Started by Nick Bateman, April 21, 2024, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Quote from: perry geyton on April 21, 2024, 09:23:37 PMMight also have something too do with them not wanting Everton to go down considering the premier league took points from them twice this season...

The P.L. didn't take points from Everton - two different independent panels did. It is reported the P.L. asked for Everton to receive a 12-point deduction for the original offence and a 5-point deduction for the rollover into last season: 17 points in total as opposed to the 8 Everton have actually lost. If so, I would say this puts to bed any notion the P.L. want Everton to stay up.

https://talksport.com/football/1818606/everton-points-deduction-premier-league-relegation/

ffcne

When Anthony Taylor or Michael Oliver are the referee.
VAR officials seem scared to question their decisions .
As they are the '' so called senior and top refs''.
Anthony Taylor yesterday was not called to have a look at those decisions.

Willham

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 22, 2024, 12:05:43 AMWhatever people think of their complaints. There can be no argument that VAR has proved as inconsistent with the same incidents week in week out, game in game out. Frankly it is an embarrassment. Deciding that an attacker is offside by the shape of a knee cap. Yet an attacker in the opposing goal is not offside as the ball goes hurtling past him.

A handball isn't a handball one week but is the next. So VAR is as inaccurate and as annoying as allowing the referee to decide. Is VAR biased. You bet your life it is.

My biggest gripe is when it's certain teams, they'll scrap through the rule book to rule in their favour, when it's a smaller club they'll take one look and say not a clear enough error.

The newcastle offside penalty shone a massive light in that. It's a absolute farce and I'm glad nott forest are saying something. Something needs to be done, I hope the smaller clubs rally around forest.

Watford_fc

Quote from: ffcne on April 22, 2024, 08:19:12 AMWhen Anthony Taylor or Michael Oliver are the referee.
VAR officials seem scared to question their decisions .
As they are the '' so called senior and top refs''.
Anthony Taylor yesterday was not called to have a look at those decisions.

Has been said a few times before and probably more likely to happen than what Forest are saying .

There is definitely an element of the refs not wanting to go against each other .

Main flaw is it's used for subjective decisions which change from ref to ref and week to week .

Don't think people thought of that when calling for VAR to come in .

H4usuallysitting

I haven't seen the incidents, so feel perfectly correct in commenting on them....is it 42

ffcne

My opinion
First one no penalty .
The handball penalty.
Foul on Hudson Odoi penalty.

Roberty

I did not watch the game, I never watch match of the Linaker and have no interest in seeing any of the highlights.

This event demonstrates everything that is wrong in the officiating of football/soccer; the lack of respect for the officials and acceptance of their decisions. The lack of respect for them is systemic.

Off hand, I cannot name a sport where challenging an officials decision is accepted and not punished at the time or after the event.

Lack of on and off field discipline has been complained about for the whole of my 75 years but the punishments have never been made to fit the crime, it is always lip service and a slap on the wrist.

Tell me; is the players bad behaviour and now these public comments by the club is accepted in any other professional sport ?

I think not and I would guess that most sports have some severe sanctions to discourage it.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Forest, I'm sure it will be an example to others - to show that crime does pay !
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Holders

I didn't watch the game but they must feel very strongly to make public comments like this from an official source. Many fans of non-top 6 teams must feel similarly throughout the season.

I have no love for Forest after their spending misdemeanours, in fact I'd like to see them relegated for that reason, but wouldn't it be ironic if these comments led to a points deduction? 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

KJS

VAR has been open to corruption since day one so I'm suprised it hasn't been raised publicly before

Sammyffc

I actually agree with Forest bizarrely, they have gone public which i have to respect.

They have clearly had enough of the dark boardroom apologies by the PGMOL and being told to remain silent as its all part of the process.

The decisions against them were absolutely shocking, i couldn't help but laugh how none of them were given as pens when all three were stone wallers.

The issue around the var being a luton fan also holds weight, if they have already reached out the POGMOL as stated asking why a known luton fan is in charge and that person should be switched out then i think thats a very valid point. Of course the PGMOL can't show biased with vars however having a var whos already been complained about denying three clear penaltys to a team who is in battle with the team they support is a massive issue in my opinion. Im not saying its corruption or that the var meant to do it, we will never know, but the optics look horrendous.

Its all good fans saying they should be keeping quiet, which also goes against everything us fans stand for when it comes to the secrecy of the league and how the big clubs control what happens behind closed doors.

Sometimes in life the sheep have to try and put up a fight or the wolves will just keep being in charge.

Watford_fc

Mark Clattenburg wasn't the most popular ref I don't think so maybe hasn't got the respect of the PGMOL as he might like.

Must admit I am surprised they allowed 2 Luton officials to be on the game in case this sort of thing happened but then who is to say anyone would have made a different decision!

Angus Telford

I don't think VAR has increased inaccurate decisions or even biases such as the big club bias. Those things occurred to at least the same degree before VAR. The problem IMO is that they've been continued in the VAR decision-making which has made them more visible and stark, and less forgivable. With the angles and replays VAR should be getting decisions right 99% of the time. So they do need to change it. Releasing full written reasons for each VAR decision after the game would help IMO. Possibly they need two VAR refs in the room, not just one...

Still have limited sympathy for Forest, though. Every club, especially in the bottom half of the table, has been afflicted by these bad decisions. Forest's problems are derived more from their own borderline absurd transfer policy these last two seasons.

Super Mick

Well we had a ref from Manchester refereeing us at old trafford last season in the cup and ended up getting fines and bans due to his blatant bias.

Nick Bateman

Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

MikeTheCubed

Mark Halsey was praised for his 'integrity' in not wanting to referee QPR games, but made a career out of stitching up Fulham.

Volz

Personally I find it backwards and idiotic that VAR doesn't utilize AI, especially when it comes to offsides. An AI would easily been able to identify any type of offside in an instant, instead of having two humans in a back room in need of watching videos from several angles, several times, then in slow motion, then ask the referee to take a look. I am pro VAR, but they should start utilizing technology for all its worth. Tech is inherently neutral, it is a hundred times more efficient, and you'll get the result immediately instead of pausing a match for 5 minutes. The entire structure of using humans to go through everything is archaic and plain silly to do in 2024 in my opinion.

LittleErn

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 22, 2024, 12:05:43 AMWhatever people think of their complaints. There can be no argument that VAR has proved as inconsistent with the same incidents week in week out, game in game out. Frankly it is an embarrassment. Deciding that an attacker is offside by the shape of a knee cap. Yet an attacker in the opposing goal is not offside as the ball goes hurtling past him.

A handball isn't a handball one week but is the next. So VAR is as inaccurate and as annoying as allowing the referee to decide. Is VAR biased. You bet your life it is.

I share your frustration Lighthouse but, for me, the answer isn't to scrap VAR but to clarify and SIMPLIFY the rules. For example Offside measurements could be made at the respective shoulders of the players or could only apply if there is clear daylight between attacker and defender. All these overlapping instances are so tight that it is pure luck as to whether VAR gives it or not. After all, offside was originally intended to stop "goal-hanging" not to stop the genuinely quick players from profiting. The players who take up an offside position just to un-sight the goalie are cheats in my book and deserve to be punished. As for the handball rules - 😤😱🤬

Sting of the North

Quote from: LittleErn on April 22, 2024, 03:08:44 PM

I share your frustration Lighthouse but, for me, the answer isn't to scrap VAR but to clarify and SIMPLIFY the rules. For example Offside measurements could be made at the respective shoulders of the players or could only apply if there is clear daylight between attacker and defender. All these overlapping instances are so tight that it is pure luck as to whether VAR gives it or not. After all, offside was originally intended to stop "goal-hanging" not to stop the genuinely quick players from profiting. The players who take up an offside position just to un-sight the goalie are cheats in my book and deserve to be punished. As for the handball rules - 😤😱🤬

It would be exactly the same discussions on where the line for "clear daylight" goes. The line always have to go somewhere. I see zero benefit from such a change, it would only slightly alter what situations are onside or offside, but not make it any less controversial whatsoever.

Watford_fc

Quote from: LittleErn on April 22, 2024, 03:08:44 PM

Will the semi automated offside system improve things ?

Willham

Quote from: Roberty on April 22, 2024, 09:19:45 AMI did not watch the game, I never watch match of the Linaker and have no interest in seeing any of the highlights.

This event demonstrates everything that is wrong in the officiating of football/soccer; the lack of respect for the officials and acceptance of their decisions. The lack of respect for them is systemic.

Off hand, I cannot name a sport where challenging an officials decision is accepted and not punished at the time or after the event.

Lack of on and off field discipline has been complained about for the whole of my 75 years but the punishments have never been made to fit the crime, it is always lip service and a slap on the wrist.

Tell me; is the players bad behaviour and now these public comments by the club is accepted in any other professional sport ?

I think not and I would guess that most sports have some severe sanctions to discourage it.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Forest, I'm sure it will be an example to others - to show that crime does pay !

I absolutely sing with your points but our fundermental enemy is wrong, you say they need to step this behaviour out, I say this behaviour needs to hit 10 fold for action to be made,

I say these issued have been caused by referees assiociation and their affiliations. Notts forest have very valid issues and every other sport would give credence to those issues and investigate, therefore bypassing the need for public dissidents. The issue here is clubs and fans alike feel powerless when clear issues with the game arise, their needs to be avenues for clubs to make complaints and hard action made against very bad decisions. If something extremely bad has happened without punishment then why not replay a game starting from when said issue happened, other sports have procedures in place for these kinds of issues, human error is real so plan accordingly, but they do not, they silent clubs and fans and push us away from the sport itself.

I was worried with the introduction of VAR that we may miss the little arguments about decisions but instead of clearing up these arguments it's massively shone a light on the refs corruptions and faults. I feel the game is under real threat of disrepute and stamping out Notts forests cry for help i feel would cause a negative reaction in the long run.