watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Press

Started by JimmyConway, April 22, 2024, 10:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Well in yesterday's case the high press. We looked extremely uncomfortable and often flustered for a fair amount of the game. Did Klopp's team selection throw a spanner in the works for Marco? Three or four influential regulars on the bench in a game which had they not won would likely see any chance of winning the league vanish. Quite a brave team selection with it on the line. Yes they have a big squad some might argue did not weaken them but I personally think having played us often this season in close games he changed four key players to ones who were arguably quicker. I'm not their biggest fan but tip my hat to good game management. Not sure Marco could of done anything with the make up of our team yesterday as a distinct lack of genuine pace throughout the squad apart from Traore got exposed often. Yes individual mistakes some costly but mainly down to opposition forcing the error. Our midfield is pedestrian like slow and Joao struggled to give defence any protection let alone the wingers not covering themselves in glory where defensive duties were required. Thought both our full backs worked admirably on a difficult afternoon. Move on no complaints with the result.

filham

Liverpool deserved winners but we were not at our best with too many passed going to opponents.
our most potent striking force is that triangle of Cairney, Robinson and Willian, a nice blend of pace and skill. That was missed yesterday.

bog

Quote from: filham on April 22, 2024, 10:55:02 AMLiverpool deserved winners but we were not at our best with too many passed going to opponents.
our most potent striking force is that triangle of Cairney, Robinson and Willian, a nice blend of pace and skill. That was missed yesterday.

+1 100%

JimmyConway

But don't you think that was down to the opposition forcing the many passes going astray? I agree Willian is always a big miss and even at his age probably the most influential player we have. Some of the recent quotes makes you think there's a good possibility he won't be here next season which will be an enormous blow to us.

Mullers OG

Willian was presumably injured.  Cairney was not.  Quite why he sits on the bench remains a mystery to me.  He is clearly our most progressive player and the team always looks better when he plays.

Yesterday we were casual at the back, weak in midfield and poor up front (Muniz excepted who fought a lone battle with strength and determination).  Liverpool played well but we allowed them to do so.  Let's hope this was a one off poor performance. 

We need to stop picking hard working journeymen like DR and get some proper footballers on the pitch like Wilson and Cairney.  Those two, and Traore, can't always be called upon when it's too late in a losing cause.     

Hugh Janus

The wings offered little yesterday. Liverpool flooded the midfield. Liverpool wanted it more. We were on the beach in the second half. Palhinha edges ever closer to 15 yellow cards and a suspension that drags into the start of next season.

Bill2

Quote from: JimmyConway on April 22, 2024, 11:05:53 AMBut don't you think that was down to the opposition forcing the many passes going astray? I agree Willian is always a big miss and even at his age probably the most influential player we have. Some of the recent quotes makes you think there's a good possibility he won't be here next season which will be an enormous blow to us.
No, just watched it back on MOTD2 and we were too casual. It was not about Liverpool intercepting the ball it was about the pass was never going to get to the Fulham player, Iwobi's being the perfect example. Every goal they got you can track back to a Fulham mistake.

Nick Bateman

Silva allowed Liverpool to control the match opting for headless chickens instead of intelligent playmakers. Fulham did not press, permitting an unchallenged Liverpool defense to waltz the ball up to the halfway line, while we were harried when we had possession at the back.

Useless strategy, playing like the away team, letting them dominate while our captain Cairney languishes on the bench as inferior players get picked before him.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Thailand Mick

I managed to watch the game live in a bar on a very large tv, first half we were very poor, and I was so relieved we went in on level terms. I was hoping it might be a reverse of the Newcastle game but within ten minutes of the second half everyone could see that Liverpool scoring was just a matter of time. I still cannot believe that Marco didn't make any changes until about the 70th minute, for me I would have had Traore on for Iwobi, Reed for Lukic and Wilson on for BDR before they scored their second goal. I feared before the game we would gift them a goal and we gave them two. On a side note, Muniz was unlucky with his overhead kick which I think wrong footed the goalkeeper and was heading in before Tosin got in the way.

Whitestone

Quote from: Mullers OG on April 22, 2024, 11:11:40 AMWillian was presumably injured.  Cairney was not.  Quite why he sits on the bench remains a mystery to me.  He is clearly our most progressive player and the team always looks better when he plays.

Yesterday we were casual at the back, weak in midfield and poor up front (Muniz excepted who fought a lone battle with strength and determination).  Liverpool played well but we allowed them to do so.  Let's hope this was a one off poor performance. 

We need to stop picking hard working journeymen like DR and get some proper footballers on the pitch like Wilson and Cairney.  Those two, and Traore, can't always be called upon when it's too late in a losing cause.     

It's very easy to come to that conclusion regarding Cairney after a defeat. Hindsight and all that but seven days ago we comprehensively beat West Ham without him getting any game time.  Yesterday we played a very good Liverpool side who have superior squad to ours and fully deserved the win. Willian was a big loss for us but our second half performance was disappointing.

LittleErn

Quote from: JimmyConway on April 22, 2024, 10:44:58 AMWell in yesterday's case the high press. We looked extremely uncomfortable and often flustered for a fair amount of the game. Did Klopp's team selection throw a spanner in the works for Marco? Three or four influential regulars on the bench in a game which had they not won would likely see any chance of winning the league vanish. Quite a brave team selection with it on the line. Yes they have a big squad some might argue did not weaken them but I personally think having played us often this season in close games he changed four key players to ones who were arguably quicker. I'm not their biggest fan but tip my hat to good game management. Not sure Marco could of done anything with the make up of our team yesterday as a distinct lack of genuine pace throughout the squad apart from Traore got exposed often. Yes individual mistakes some costly but mainly down to opposition forcing the error. Our midfield is pedestrian like slow and Joao struggled to give defence any protection let alone the wingers not covering themselves in glory where defensive duties were required. Thought both our full backs worked admirably on a difficult afternoon. Move on no complaints with the result.

Good analysis. I agree that we were getting caught by their high press and forced into rushed clearances.

LittleErn

Quote from: Whitestone on April 22, 2024, 02:13:41 PM
Quote from: Mullers OG on April 22, 2024, 11:11:40 AMWillian was presumably injured.  Cairney was not.  Quite why he sits on the bench remains a mystery to me.  He is clearly our most progressive player and the team always looks better when he plays.

It's very easy to come to that conclusion regarding Cairney after a defeat. Hindsight and all that but seven days ago we comprehensively beat West Ham without him getting any game time.  Yesterday we played a very good Liverpool side who have superior squad to ours and fully deserved the win. Willian was a big loss for us but our second half performance was disappointing.

Can't disagree, but it must also be said that once Cairney came on yesterday we seemed to have a calmer period with more of the ball, though we never really looked like getting back in the game. By that time, of course, Liverpool had won the game and weren't pressing in the same way.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: LittleErn on April 22, 2024, 02:49:30 PM

Can't disagree, but it must also be said that once Cairney came on yesterday we seemed to have a calmer period with more of the ball, though we never really looked like getting back in the game. By that time, of course, Liverpool had won the game and weren't pressing in the same way.
Quote from: LittleErn on April 22, 2024, 02:49:30 PM

Cairney and Willian are the two players the ball sticks to. If you can't play both you should at least play one! If not, you cede possession and the game.

Southcoastffc

Willian had picked up a groin injury.  Liverpool were simply the better team and, crucially, much faster.
Elliott and Gravenberch in that midfield are both only 21 so it's not surprising that they so often hassled us into mistakes, and intercepted passes.  IMO we were on a hiding to nothing from early on in the game and had TC started, skilful though he is, I think he would have been floundering at the pace Liverpool came at and through us.  Just not our day.  All credit to Liverpool.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

perry geyton

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 22, 2024, 04:07:50 PMWillian had picked up a groin injury.  Liverpool were simply the better team and, crucially, much faster.
Elliott and Gravenberch in that midfield are both only 21 so it's not surprising that they so often hassled us into mistakes, and intercepted passes.  IMO we were on a hiding to nothing from early on in the game and had TC, skilful though he is, would have been floundering at the pace Liverpool came at and through us.  Just not our day.  All credit to Liverpool.
Actually you could argue that TC would of held onto the ball and took the sting out of they're game,,,, it's called possession

alfie

Quote from: perry geyton on April 22, 2024, 06:01:53 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 22, 2024, 04:07:50 PMWillian had picked up a groin injury.  Liverpool were simply the better team and, crucially, much faster.
Elliott and Gravenberch in that midfield are both only 21 so it's not surprising that they so often hassled us into mistakes, and intercepted passes.  IMO we were on a hiding to nothing from early on in the game and had TC, skilful though he is, would have been floundering at the pace Liverpool came at and through us.  Just not our day.  All credit to Liverpool.
Actually you could argue that TC would of held onto the ball and took the sting out of they're game,,,, it's called possession
Clutching at straws there, they were far superior.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Super Mick

I hate losing to them and unfortunately it happens far too often!