watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Substitutes

Started by LC, April 27, 2024, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Marco Silva has come under fire for his use and timing of substitutes throughout the season. So I thought I would offer my thoughts on today.

I thought bringing on Willian around the 67th minute mark was a good move, it seems he's trying to make changes a little earlier which I like.

However, brining on 3 players at the same time when we're 1-0 up on the 85-ish minute mark, in my opinion, was a bad move for the following reasons; it takes players a little bit of time to get into the game, especially a fast moving game like today. And we were 1-0 up, you should bring on your remaining subs one at a time to disrupt the oppositions rhythm and slow the game down.

Anyhow, I think Marco Silva is a top manager and I like him a lot- I also hope he stays long term.

On reflection I think 1-1 was a fair result.

Drewry66

Quote from: LC on April 27, 2024, 05:31:55 PMMarco Silva has come under fire for his use and timing of substitutes throughout the season. So I thought I would offer my thoughts on today.

I thought bringing on Willian around the 67th minute mark was a good move, it seems he's trying to make changes a little earlier which I like.

However, brining on 3 players at the same time when we're 1-0 up on the 85-ish minute mark, in my opinion, was a bad move for the following reasons; it takes players a little bit of time to get into the game, especially a fast moving game like today. And we were 1-0 up, you should bring on your remaining subs one at a time to disrupt the oppositions rhythm and slow the game down.

Anyhow, I think Marco Silva is a top manager and I like him a lot- I also hope he stays long term.

On TV it said they had to last minute change as Reed was injured. If he stays in that is the kind of position he maybe screens/blocks. Can't help an injury and I think that clouds things a little here. Broja and Wilson fresh legs and attackers for attackers so nothing to do with conceding and although 3 subs if two attackers not sure how it is stuffing defensive organisation. Both actually did well and there were a few times that they were involved and we nearly got a second.

Cairney is the only one that can have a major impact defensively and on numerous occasions he has seem games out. As I say the thing that probably hurts us most is not having Joao or Reed on the pitch in that area but he never intended to take Reed off but for the injury.

The prob is that when managers make subs and we see a game out no one remembers it (something that has happened a lot this year). When you make them and then concede everyone remembers it.

bill taylors apprentice

There's a valid school of thought that says use the many subs available in the modern game to "bring on fresh legs" and see out the game.

Personally, I think fresh legs are often counter productive when compared to "tired" players who are at least in the rhythm of the game.

3 at a time is risky especially when the game is end to end and I think it cost us the game.

Super Mick

I'm fed up with it. Unnecessary. We havent beaten palace at home since 2005. That Schlupp only ever scores against us I swear.

perry geyton

I dunno why he made 3 changes on the 83rd minute

Unsettles the team

HV71

Quote from: LC on April 27, 2024, 05:31:55 PMMarco Silva has come under fire for his use and timing of substitutes throughout the season. So I thought I would offer my thoughts on today.

Very fair and well thought out post. I love our manager but he does leave me scratching my head sometimes

Eton White

This is the one thing that irritates me about Silva. The late introduction of large numbers of substitutes.
He's far from the only manager that does it, but I can't see the reasoning behind it. Other than time wasting. It just unsettles the team.

Somerset Fulham

Reed was injured so that makes sense and perhaps the front two changes weren't necessary but I don't think anybody can really be blamed for that goal.

It was an incredible strike.