Wednesday Fulham Stuff (17.02.10)

Started by White Noise, February 16, 2010, 07:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_5953518,00.html

Double deal for Imps

Broughton joins from Millers and Saunders re-signs from Fulham

Last updated: 16th February 2010   

Lincoln City have signed Drewe Broughton on a month's loan from Rotherham United and brought Fulham midfielder Matthew Saunders back to the club.

Broughton has started just four games in League Two for Rotherham this season and has accepted a move to struggling Lincoln.

He will go into the squad for the Imps' game against Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night and will help to solve Chris Sutton's problems up front after Delroy Facey returned to Notts County last week.

Rotherham's chief operating officer Paul Douglas said: "Drewe hasn't been in the first XI of late, Lincoln have had injury problems so came in with an offer and Ronnie (Moore) felt that this is an opportunity for Drewe to get some games.

"We wish Drewe well for the month ahead and then we look forward to seeing him back here for what will be an important run-in."

Meanwhile, Lincoln have regained the services of Saunders, who played three games for the club in January before injury cut short his spell, on a one-month loan deal.

The 20-year-old is back after proving his fitness and is set to go straight into manager Sutton's squad for the match against Accrington.

White Noise

Darijo Srna out to impress Tottenham and Chelsea as Shakhtar star faces Fulham

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:28 PM on 16th February 2010

Tottenham Hotspur are ready to check out Shakhtar Donetsk captain Darijo Srna at Craven Cottage this week.

Spurs are ready to make a new move for the Croatia captain, according to reports in the Ukraine, and have the chance to see how he performs against Fulham in the Europa League last 32 tie on Thursday.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is also an admirer of the raiding right-back, but was put off by his wage demand when mulling over a January bid.

The 27-year-old, who has also appeared on Bayern Munich's radar, is keen to test himself at a higher level after winning the UEFA Cup with the side he joined seven years ago.

Redknapp has made no secret of his joy at working with Croats and currently has Vedran Corluka, Luka Modric and Niko Kranjcar on the books at White Hart Lane, with keeper Stipe Pletikosa expected to join from Spartak Moscow in the summer.

Srna can also play on the right side of midfield as well as defence, while Corluka is often deployed at centre half when they play together at international level.

Srna was last week named the best foreign footballer in Ukraine for 2009.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1251503/Darijo-Srna-impress-Tottenham-Chelsea-Shakhtar-star-faces-Fulham.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0fjMk5tgf

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_5953402,00.html

Pilgrims in Stockdale talks

Mariner optimistic Fulham will agree to extension

Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Mariner is in talks with Fulham over a deal to extend the loan of goalkeeper David Stockdale.

The 24-year-old has made five appearances for Plymouth since arriving on a month's loan in January and his initial deal expires after Tuesday's game against Swansea City.

However, Mariner is keen to keep Stockdale at Home Park and is optimistic that Fulham will agree to an extension.

Mariner told The Herald: "We are trying to extend David's loan and it's looking extremely positive.

"I will probably have more information after the game tonight.

"He has fitted into the squad very well. He's an amiable lad and he works very hard at his game.

"I think he has proven to everyone that he's very commanding in the box.

"He's a young goalkeeper so he has still got things to learn. He's by no means the finished article and David understands that."

White Noise

Loan Star

Tuesday 16th February 2010

Fulham FC News

Roy Hodgson's decision to sign Nicky Shorey on loan for the remainder of the season looks like being one of the most astute signings of the January transfer window.

Since the left back arrived at the Club on transfer deadline day, Fulham's defensive record makes for impressive reading. The Whites have yet to concede since Shorey was handed his debut against Portsmouth, notching up four successive clean sheets.

Shorey's recent performances for Fulham have impressed supporters and pundits alike and when the question of a recall to the international fold was posed to him by journalists on Sunday evening, the defender's response was typically modest.

"I don't know about that," said Shorey of an England recall. "I'm just enjoying playing my football. I really enjoyed playing for my country, it was great, but I'll leave that for other people to talk about.

"It's nice to be out there playing and being a part of the Team. There's nothing worse as a player than not playing and it's nice to come back and play in the Premier League with Fulham.

"I'm enjoyed it and the games have come thick and fast since I joined which is the best way for it to be when you join a new club. The lads have made it easy for me – they're a good group and it's a good setup at Fulham. I'm just glad I could come in and help out when they needed someone to fit in there."

Whilst stating that Fulham are 'taking it one step at a time,' Shorey admitted that he is desperate to help Fulham through to the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup, a competition he clearly adores, after overcoming Notts County on Sunday.

"The main aim was just to get a win on Sunday and I don't think the score line reflected how hard it was," Shorey explained. "It was a tough game and they made it that way.

"We're just taking it one step at a time. Sunday's match was always going to be a tricky tie so it's just nice that we got through. When I was at Reading we didn't get too far because we were so focused on staying in the Premier League.

"This is the furthest I've been in the competition. Sunday was my first game in the competition for Fulham so the lads have to take the credit for getting us this far. It would be a great experience to be involved in the Quarter Final - I love the FA Cup."

Shorey was full of praise for striker Bobby Zamora after Fulham's FA Cup victory and having played with the striker at youth level, the left back is more than qualified to discuss the striker's pedigree.

"I've known Bobby for a long time and he's always been a good player," said Shorey. "It's nice to see him getting the credit he deserves at the minute. I used to play with him and Konch as we were from the same area of Essex and it's great to see him doing well – he's a big target man but he can do the lot."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/ShoreysCupReaction.aspx#ixzz0fjOEfJXv

White Noise

Leading the Line

Fulham FC News

With preparations well under way for Thursday evening's game against Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Europa League Round of 32, Fulham striker David Elm is expecting a challenging encounter. 

Elm watched his former side, Kalmar FF, lose to two-nil to Shakhtar in the recent Copa del Sol tournament in Marbella and he was certainly impressed with what he saw.

"They're a very skilful team with many Brazilian players," Elm told fulhamfc.com. "So we have to really be on top of our defensive game and make sure we keep a good shape.   

"I'm not sure if they played their best team against Kalmar because they have a big squad - but they still have good players. 

"It's important for us not to concede any goals in the home leg and hopefully we'll be able to score one or two."

Elm played a starring role in Fulham's Barclays Premier League victory over Burnley and once again led the line in fine fashion with Bobby Zamora just days later as Fulham put four goals past Notts County. Indeed, Elm's fledgling partnership with Zamora is showing positive signs for the future.

"It's very easy to play with Bobby he's such a good player and he makes it easy for his team-mates," Elm explained. "He also takes some of the physical focus away from me so I really enjoy working with him. Most of the people in Sweden would probably say that I'm a target man but I think I've developed the other side to my game too.

"It's worked really well with Bobby so far, he maybe plays a little higher up the pitch than I do.  But I can work in the space behind and do a lot of running - I like working hard.

"It took me about four or five months just to settle down and adjust to the tempo and the aggression here. I think I'm just starting to learn how to play the English game and where to be on the pitch so I can link up better with my team-mates. 

"I just want to keep working as hard as I can. I think the fans have been great and I'll be very pleased if I can help the Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/ElmShakhtarPreview.aspx#ixzz0fjOUaCEa

White Noise

Saunders Loan Extended

Fulham FC News

The Club can confirm that Matthew Saunders'| loan spell with Lincoln City has been extended.

The Fulham Academy Graduate impressed during his three appearances for the Imps in January before injury ruled the midfielder out of action.

Having returned to full fitness Saunders will return to Lincoln ahead of Tuesday night's game against Accrington Stanley at Sincil Bank. Saunders will remain with Lincoln until the 16th March 2010.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/SaundersLoanExtended.aspx#ixzz0fjOhNnHK

White Noise

Shakhtar Preview

Fulham FC News

Fulham v Shakhtar Donetsk

UEFA Europa League, Round of 32 First-leg

Thursday February 18th 2010, KO 8.05pm

It's a return to European action on Thursday evening as we welcome UEFA Cup holders and Ukrainian powerhouses Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Europa League Round of 32.

Having navigated our way through the qualifying rounds and group stages, the competition now reverts to a two-legged format, and the winners of this tie will face either Ajax of Holland or Italian giants Juventus in the last 16.

After finishing second in the Ukrainian Premier League last season, Shakhtar initially started this season in the Champions League, but a shock qualifying round defeat, albeit on away goals, to Romanian side FC Timisoara meant that they dropped into the Europa League where they qualified for the group stage courtesy of a 5-0 aggregate win over Turkish club Sivasspor.

Shakhtar were also decisive in the group stage, winning their first four games including a double against Toulouse, before easing slightly in the final two games with a home draw against Club Brugge and a defeat in the last match at FK Partizan of Belgrade. The Donetsk club are no strangers to success on the European stage having beaten Werder Bremen 2-1 in last season's UEFA Cup final.

When the Ukrainians arrive next week it will be their first competitive action since December 16th, as the Ukrainian Premier League is currently in the midst of its winter break. At the halfway stage they are currently second, two points behind Dynamo Kiev who inflicted their only defeat to date, a 3-0 reverse in Kiev. Shakhtar have won all eight of their home games and gained four victories from their nine away trips.

A large number of the Shakhtar squad are home-based players, although there is a considerable Brazilian influence in midfield with Fernandinho, Jadson and Ilsinho all regulars.

The club captain is Darijo Srna who appeared against Fulham in the UEFA Cup in 2002 for Hajduk Split. Their top scorer is Luiz Adriano who has nine goals in 14 League appearances as well as five in European competition. 

Ticket Information (General Sale)

Season Ticket Holder prices:
- Adults £15
- Concessions £10
- Juniors £5

Non-Season Ticket Holder and Match day prices:
- Adults £20
- Concessions £15
- Juniors £5

How To Buy Tickets:

- Online| or by Phone on 0870 442 1234  (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Alternatively tickets can be bought in person from the Craven Cottage Ticket Office which is open Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.

Fulham's Complete Home European Record

P12 W8 D4 L0 F18 A6

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/NextUpShakhtar.aspx#ixzz0fjTBLQgG

White Noise

Shakhtar Travel

Fulham FC News

Due to high demand on the Official Fulham flyer| , more seats have just been added to accommodate our fans.

Fulham's away UEFA Europa League tie against Shakhtar Donetsk on Thursday 25th February presents Fulham fans with not only the chance to witness Roy Hodgson's side take on last season's UEFA Cup winners in the last 32 of the competition, but also the opportunity to visit Shakhtar's magnificent Donbass Stadium. 

If you are a Season Ticket Holder, or Club Member, you can now book your place| to Donetsk and enjoy another magical night of European football at one of Europe's highest rated stadiums.

With a capacity of 55,000 and built to UEFA's five-star standard, the Donbass Stadium was unveiled in August 2009 and has already been earmarked as a flagship stadium for the UEFA Euro 2012 Tournament. The soaring roof effect resembles a flying saucer, whilst the glazed façade – a huge glass wall of 24,000 square meters – also give the venue iconic status on the landscape of Eastern European stadia.

Book your place today| . Prices start from only £474pp .

The Official Fulham Flyer trip includes:

Direct return flights from Gatwick to Donetsk
One night's accommodation
All overseas private coach transfers
Your ticket to the match
Please note flight times are:

25 Feb 10  Thursday  MON9132  LGW-DOK  0825-1410
26 Feb 10  Friday      MON9133  DOK-LGW  1400-1620

For more information, or to secure your seat on the plane please visit the Official Flyer website| or get in touch with a member of our team.

Fulham Flyer to Donetsk, book now|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/ShakhtarTravel.aspx#ixzz0fjTmT51C

White Noise

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/argyle/Pilgrims-hoping-extend-Stockdale-stay/article-1835357-detail/article.html

Pilgrims are hoping to extend Stockdale stay

Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 07:00

3 readers have commented on this story.

ARGYLE are close to reaching an agreement on extending the loan spell of Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.

His initial one-month stint with the Pilgrims is due to end after the Championship clash against Swansea City at Home Park tonight.

But Argyle have been in talks with Fulham about 24-year-old Stockdale staying at Home Park.
He can spend a maximum of three months on loan to the Pilgrims, which would take him up to late April.

Stockdale was signed from Fulham on January 22 and has started the last five matches for Argyle, taking over between the posts from club captain Romain Larrieu.

His debut came in the 1-0 home defeat of Derby County on January 26.

Argyle head coach Paul Mariner said: "We are trying to extend David's loan and it's looking extremely positive.

"I will probably have more information after the game tonight.

"He (Stockdale) has fitted into the squad very well. He's an amiable lad and he works very hard at his game.

"I think he has proven to everyone that he's very commanding in the box.

"He's a young goalkeeper so he has still got things to learn. He's by no means the finished article and David understands that.

"We have a fantastic rapport with (Fulham manager) Roy Hodgson and Mike Kelly (the Premier League club's goalkeeping coach).

"Roy has let David out to us, and Mike Kelly, who is his mentor, speaks very highly of him. So we are thankful to them for letting us have him so, all in all, we are very happy."

White Noise

http://thelinc.co.uk/2010/02/big-match-preview-lincoln-city-v-accrington-stanley/

Big match preview: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

By Adrian Bell

| Published On February 16, 2010 | In Lincoln City

Lincoln City will be looking to end a run of five games without a win as they host Accrington Stanley tonight. Photo: Lincoln City Football ClubLincoln City will look to end a winless run of five league matches as they host Accrington Stanley at Sincil Bank on Tuesday night (kick off 7-45pm)

Imps manager Chris Sutton has been boosted with the arrival of two loan signings as they look to steer themselves away from the League Two relegation zone. Experienced striker Drewe Broughton has penned a one-month loan deal, while Matthew Saunders returns to Sincil Bank from Fulham on a similar loan deal.

Broughton signs from League Two rivals Rotherham United, who beat City 2-1 in an action-packed encounter at the weekend. Meanwhile Saunders, signed for Lincoln on a loan deal in January, before returning to his parent club following an injury which cut short his loan spell.

Broughton will add vital experience to the Lincoln City frontline following the end of Delroy Facey's loan last week. The 31-year-old is no stranger to the lower echelons of the Football League, having played for 16 clubs before signing for Lincoln. Michael Saunders, back from Fulham, was impressive in his three games for the Imps in January, and his arrival will bolster Sutton's midfield. Both should be available for Tuesday's encounter.

City will look to bounce back from Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Rotherham, as they host mid-table Accrington Stanley. Goals from Adam Le Fondre (penalty) and a Gary Roberts strike put the Millers 2-1 up, before Rangers loanee Steven Lennon pulled a goal back for the Imps. City had to play 75 minutes with just ten men following the sending off of centre-half Moses Swaibu, who is suspended for tonight's game.

Paul Green will again miss out due to a groin injury, whilst both Ian Pearce and Michael Gordon are struggling with illness. England Under-19 international defender Nathan Baker, who has missed the last three games through injury, may make his return.

Stanley have had an impressive season to date, sitting just three points outside of the League Two play-off places. Stanley's form has been stuttering of late, losing to Northampton Town and recording a goalless draw at Macclesfield Town on Saturday. Leam Richardson looks set to miss out on the game with a groin injury whilst Luke Joyce is struggling with a dead leg.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/16/the-fiver-milan-manchester-utd-preview

This is about the time it used to get good, with English teams excited about their chances of European glory. However thanks to Uefa's constant meddling, insisting on turning the tournament into an ill-designed bloated mess, excitement is low: Liverpool players have been notoriously sniffy about it since being expelled from Big Cup, while Fulham's Roy Hodgson is rumoured to be simply not bothered, as he'd rather stay at home and finish the JP Donleavy novel he's halfway through.

White Noise

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/sport/Fulham-ace-Jono-Greening-looks.6073545.jp

Fulham ace Jono Greening looks to the future

Published Date: 16 February 2010

By Staff Copy

SCARBOROUGH-born Jono Greening is aiming to stay in football when his career comes to an end.

The midfielder has signed a contract at FA Cup quarter-finalists Fulham that will keep him at Craven Cottage until the age of 33, and he is relishing another shot at the big time of the Premiership after making the move south from West Brom earlier this season.

"I was offered a new five-year contract at West Brom, but I thought that if I didn't go for it now with Fulham then I might not get another chance.

"Things are going really well at Fulham. I haven't played in every game, like I might have done at West Brom, but it is just great being involved at the top level.

"I have played in the away game at Basle in the Europa League and in both legs against Roma, which was another great experience.

"My aim is to prove myself in the remaining few years of my contract.

"If I can keep free of injury then I don't see why I can't carry on for some time yet, a lot of players do now - look at Gary Speed, Teddy Sheringham and my good friend Kevin Phillips."

Jono is already taking the first steps on the path into coaching and added: "I took my level two coaching badge last year and now I'll be looking to bag my level three and four.

"The level four allows you to coach at youth and reserve team level, so that could be an option when I do pack in.

"Coaching is about being in the right place at the right time and if you are given an opportunity, then you need a bit of luck in the early days.

"There is the chance of working in the media, although I'm not sure that many people would be able to understand my Yorkshire accent.

"Who knows, I could finish up coaching a Scarborough team, although it would be difficult if my brother Josh was playing for them.

"He already tells me that I do a lot of things wrong when I'm on the pitch - but it's easy for him to say when he's watching a game at home with a beer in his hand."

White Noise

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/default.aspx?Tab=1&Page=6&Article=1482

Club Focus - Fulham - Small squad, limited options for Hodgson

By Matt Domm

Before the 2009/10 season kicked off most Fulham fans would have gladly taken a top-half Premier League spot, an FA Cup quarter-final and progression from the Europa League group stage.

Half way through February the above is exactly how the season has panned out. And there is a real chance for further progression on all three fronts. Players are returning to both fitness and form just in time for a push for the European places in the league - with Birmingham, slightly above the Whites in the league, hitting a slump just in time for the weekend's clash at Craven Cottage. The FA Cup quarter-final draw provided another home tie and, although it will be against top-flight opposition, a genuine opportunity for a last-four spot. And this Thursday sees Europa League holders Shakhtar Donetsk arrive in town for what must be a solid home win if the Cottagers are to have a chance of reaching the latter stages of the tournament. Undoubtedly, the visit of the Ukrainian side is the toughest tie of recent weeks, but games are starting to come thick and fast so Roy Hodgson will have to decide whether to stick with his strongest possible side to have the best chance of taking a solid lead to Eastern Europe, or whether to rotate (as much as the still-thin squad will allow) his line-up with his priorities in mind.

Just has he did throughout the group phase, Hodgson will most likely try to rest as many league players as he can. This would mean drafting Stefano Okaka, who finally opened his Fulham account against Notts County at the weekend, into the starting XI - most likely to replace Bobby Zamora, who is seen by his manager as the Whites' star striker - were he not cup tied. The Italian, Okaka, has already featured in two of Fulham's European games this season, playing against his current employers for parent club Roma in both group games. Having scored a good header in Rome, he would certainly cause problems for the Donetsk defence. Of course, so limited are Hodgson's rotation options that there have been several fringe players masquerading as first-teamers in recent weeks, and thus there are positions on the pitch where those playing need all the football they can get, rather than be rested. One such position is right-back. Even before John Pantsil's injury, Stephen Kelly was the regular for European games, and he performed adequately, until he was called upon in the league. Since the Ghanaian has been out, Kelly has vied with Chris Baird to play on the right, but neither has proven himself to be a comfortable replacement. Baird has had the nod in his unfamiliar position in recent league and FA Cup fixtures, although he was skinned a few too many times by the League Two opposition to make the role his own, and so rather than Hodgson deciding which man to rest, he will instead be trying to choose which one will cope better with the Shakhtar left.

At least the midfield competition is starting to heat up. Since he recovered from his knock Danny Murphy has been present in every game, what with his back-up, Jonathan Greening, being forced to cover the weak left flank. But Simon Davies is now back - finally getting through full games, and even scoring - and Zoltan Gera is close to a return, meaning the wings have enough cover for Greening to be called upon in the middle should Murphy's 32-year-old legs become tired. The inclusion of Murphy will depend on whether Hodgson sees the Europa League as second or third priority. If it is third choice, then his captain will likely be rested, or possibly taken off with 20 or more minutes to spare as he was at the weekend, even if the result is not certain by that time.

Whether Hodgson picks the same team again or a freshened-up XI, whoever is on the field needs to be at their best in the toughest home fixture for some time. There is no saying whether Pantsil, Paul Konchesky, Clint Dempsey or Andy Johnson would have been selected on Thursday if fit, such has been the manager's selection policy, but his second-string progressed well from a difficult group and they will have his faith against Donetsk. A good win and this already successful season could become one that every Fulham fan hoped for last summer.

White Noise

http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/loanee_shrimpers_england_under19_call_up_will_not_miss_charlton_game_496253/index.shtml

Loanee Shrimpers England Under-19 Call Up: Will not miss Charlton game 

By westfield shrimper Monday, 15th February 2010

Southend's two premiership loanees, Arsenal's Sanchez Watt and Wolverhampton's Scott Malone, will join the England Under-19 squad the day after Blues play the Addicks.

Winger Sanches Watt and left-back Scott Malone have been called up into the the England Under-19 international squad for the match against Holland on Tuesday, March 2nd.

The good news for Blues boss Steve Tilson is that if fit and selected they will be able to play in the Shrimpers match with Charlton at Roots Hall on Friday February 26th, as they do not have to join their team mates until 24 hours later on the Saturday.

Friday night football, better atmosphere and Tilly gets a full set of players to choose from!

England squad: Baker (Lincoln, on loan from Aston Villa), Bostock (Spurs), Briggs (Fulham), Brown (Man Utd.), Caulker (Yeovil, loan from Spurs), Clyne (Crystal Palace), Deacon (Arsenal), James (Preston NE, loan from Man. Utd.), Malone (Southend, loan from Wolves), Mason (Yeovil, loan from Spurs), Mellis (Chelsea), Noble (Sunderland), Nouble (WBA, loan from West Ham), O'Brien (Portsmouth), Parrett (Spurs), Ranger (Newscastle), Rudd (Norwich), Watt (Southend, loan from Arsenal.) 

White Noise

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=16020

Aspiring to reach the Premier League is fine and a target for many clubs but these clubs are not prepared for the financial strains placed on a Premier League club. More clubs should model themselves on Fulham, who have sustained their top flight place while being financially prudent, and are now reaping the benefits. All newly promoted Premiership teams need a financial plan - and be more prepared for the worst case scenario, relegation.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamusa.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=934

UEFA Cup holders very confident coming to Craven Cottage to play Fulham

Shakhtar Donetsk won the 2009 UEFA Cup against Werder Bremen 2 -1 last season. They come to play Fulham at Craven Cottage this Thursday Night at 8:05PM UK time and 3:05 EST. This is the first leg of the Round of 32 in the Europa League. The second leg will be played the following Thursday at home to Shakhtar Donetsk. This Ukranian club is definitely going to be a huge challenge for Fulham.

Shakhtar Donetsk finished their league last year in second place. They currently sit second in the Ukrainian Premier League. They are 2 points behind Dynamo Kiev halfway through their season. What is interesting is they have not played a league game since mid December. The Ukranian Premier League has a winter break. The team should be fairly fresh.

The Ukrainian team actually has been training in England. According to the club's official website the team went to the F A Cup match that Fulham played on Sunday against Notts County. The article has some thoughts on Craven Cottage and also that some of the players were recognized in the crowd.   
The article from the Press Office of FC Shakhtar on the official website also has some interesting thoughts on Fulham. According to the Press office of FC Shakhtar states " By and large the Shakhtar players agreed that our future rival hasn't amazed us by anything special. To play against them is possible,very possible. Of course, we shouldn't play relaxed and should concetrate fully." The article by the Press office of FC Shakhtar continues to go on and has some praise for Bobby Zamora and Fulham's defenders. Finally, According to the Press office of FC Shakhtar also has praise for the fans.

Based on the official website of Shakhtar Donetsk, it sounds like to me the Ukranian team is very confident going into the Europa league match. I am fine with Fulham playing a team that believes they should win. If Fulham want to move forward in the Europa League why not take on the champion. If Fulham win in the round of 32 it should give them more confidence heading into the last part of the season.

http://fulhampatsfan.blogspot.com/

White Noise

http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/sports-minister-joins-debate-over-football-club-debt-levels

Sports minister joins debate over football club debt levels

Wednesday, 17th February 2010

STEVE DINNEEN

THE government is to press ahead with calls for tougher financial controls for football clubs, despite widespread criticism from within the industry.

Sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe yesterday weighed into the debate, calling for an overhaul of the way teams' finances are regulated.

The move follows increasing concern about the long-term viability of debt-laden clubs in the wake of the meltdown of teams including Portsmouth, Cardiff City, Crystal Palace and Southend. The Premier League reacted to criticism by implementing a new "early warning" system that requires clubs to make regular account statements but critics have warned this may not be enough.

Last week Whitehall debated the formation of a new football regulator that would effectively mean the game was run in the same way as privatised utilities firms. But one analyst told City A.M. the game needed government regulation "like a hole in the head."

Another top football chairman said: "The government hasn't made a good job of regulating anything so the idea they could get involved in football amazes me."

Earlier this week Wigan chairman Dave Whelan proposed a borrowing cap of 25 per cent of turnover. The league table opposite shows by how much Premier League teams would have exceeded (or undershot) Whelan's cap in the 2008 season. Fulham came bottom, exceeding the debt limit by 1,437 per cent.

White Noise

Plymouth 1 Swansea 1

Published: Today

SWANSEA boss Paulo Sousa was left fuming after a twice-taken penalty ruined his night.
Damien Johnson's first effort was saved by Dorus de Vries, only for referee Keith Hill to rule the Swans keeper had moved from his line too early.

Johnson duly netted the 85th-minute retake and Sousa raged: "Everyone in the ground could see what I saw. The keeper's foot stayed on the line."

Darren Pratley had given Swansea a 46th-minute lead, racing onto Angel Rangel's pass before firing home a 20-yard screamer.

The same combination almost worked again on the hour, but this time David Stockdale saved.

Kari Arnason had an effort cleared off the line at the other end.

And after Andrea Orlandi's handball led to Johnson's equaliser, it took a superb save by Fulham loanee Stockdale to deny Gorka Pintado.

Plymouth boss Paul Mariner revealed Stockdale had extended his stay for a month, adding: "David made three great saves, especially the one in stoppage time."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2856888/Plymouth-1-Swansea-1.html#ixzz0fm3HLgzv

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/hold_ye_front_page/2703529/red1963red-blue33-years-at-the-top-Sir-Stans-amazing-careerblue.html

Matthews rejoined Stoke in 1961 and two years later helped them to the Division Two title and was named Footballer of the Year for the second time. Five days after his 50th birthday, the newly-knighted Sir Stanley Matthews ended his remarkable career.

After 710 games for Stoke and Blackpool and 54 England caps, his last game was a league match against Fulham on 6th February 1965. Matthews set up Stoke's only goal in a 1-1 draw.

He later said he had retired too soon.