News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where Did The Money Come From For These Three?

Started by White Noise, January 29, 2011, 08:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

Money? They played for the love of the game in those days

White Noise

Quote from: leonffc on January 29, 2011, 08:14:12 PM
Money? They played for the love of the game in those days

Haha! Seriously though, they must have cost a packet by the standards of those days. I thought we had always been skint as a club so how come we managed to bring in players like them and Mullers all of sudden?

TonyGilroy

Ernie Clay.

He once had genuine ambitions for the club and liked the idea of being a big player in the game. A character very much in the Ken Bates mold. He might have done big things for the club had he not decided to sell the ground instead. He threw in his soul as a job lot.

bog

Regardless of the money what a photograph that is. Brilliant.   

White Noise

Quote from: bog on January 29, 2011, 10:14:28 PM
Regardless of the money what a photograph that is. Brilliant.   

Its worth keeping an eye on the Ebay ads at the top. Some good and inexpensive Fulham stuff comes up. Thats where I copied that pic from.

The ground looks is good nick as well. In all your years of watching Fulham , when do you think the ground looked at its best?

Mike

When beat Chelsea during the day and Juve at night. :yay:
1879 a good year for football

CorkedHat

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 29, 2011, 09:29:23 PM
Ernie Clay.

He once had genuine ambitions for the club and liked the idea of being a big player in the game. A character very much in the Ken Bates mold. He might have done big things for the club had he not decided to sell the ground instead. He threw in his soul as a job lot.

I know that Ernie Clay has a bad rap and quite right too but he had a warmer side too.
An Aunt of mine met him on holiday in Spain and in conversation she mentioned that her nephew (me) was a fanatical supporter of Fulham FC.
He asked her to give him my address and he would send me something from the Club. Although she handed him my name and address she never thought he would go back to England and fulfil his promise, but I am here to tell you that a Fulham book duly arrived for me with Mr Clay's compliments.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

SG

CH he may have had a warmer side but as far as I am concerned he can rot. If I recall initially the ground was owned by the Church commissioners and we used to pay a peppercorn rent to them. He secretly bought it from them for peanuts and then proceeded to make a fortune at the club's expense and sold us down the river to Marler/Cabra. Perhaps the commissioners should never have sold it but that is another matter

Blingo

Quote from: SG on January 30, 2011, 08:19:34 AM
CH he may have had a warmer side but as far as I am concerned he can rot. If I recall initially the ground was owned by the Church commissioners and we used to pay a peppercorn rent to them. He secretly bought it from them for peanuts and then proceeded to make a fortune at the club's expense and sold us down the river to Marler/Cabra. Perhaps the commissioners should never have sold it but that is another matter

+1

finnster01

Wherever the money came from, they clearly couldn't afford a trip to the barbers then.  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ron

I remember the press reporting at the time that Besty was on £500 per game with a no play no pay clause.

...and Alf Garnett saying "Of course Bobby went to Fulham, 'cos they play a more elderly sort of game over there...."

The passing of time is what made them all affordable

Senior Supporter

Quote from: ron on January 30, 2011, 10:34:01 AM
I remember the press reporting at the time that Besty was on £500 per game with a no play no pay clause.

...and Alf Garnett saying "Of course Bobby went to Fulham, 'cos they play a more elderly sort of game over there...."

The passing of time is what made them all affordable

Blimey, Alf Garnett's  words are still true of today, aren't they? :hook:

Lighthouse

I guess we more than made up for the money as the crowds and publicity all went up. One of the most exciting times in our history. Few players transfers have caused such a great excitement. There are few games that I can say I still remember the whole day, the game and the aftermath like I do the debut of a certain G Best.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope