watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey has high hopes Cottagers forward keen to compete at the very top

Started by FFCcravencottage, January 30, 2011, 01:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCcravencottage

Well reading between the lines I think Mr Dempsey is up for a move in the Summer. I may be completely wrong but that is how this interview has come across to me.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6710674,00.html

Clint Dempsey admits he has ambitions of playing in the UEFA Champions League at some stage of his career.

The United States international is currently on the books of Fulham, where he has spent the last four years.

During that time he has become an established Premier League performer, with his ability to provide a goal-threat from a deep-lying position making him a useful asset to any side.

He has played a leading role in the Cottagers' recent successes, with a run through to the 2010 Europa League final marking a significant high for both Dempsey and the club.

The 27-year-old forward admits he would relish the opportunity to turn out at such a lofty level on a regular basis, with continuous improvement the target for any player.
Experiences

Dempsey said: "I have been here for four years and, with Simon Davies, I am one of the longest-serving players.

"That's the way things are now in the game because it is so competitive and it is all about winning. It has been a good time and I've enjoyed my experiences.

"I still have ambitions. I'd like to play in the Champions League. You want to win cups, too.

"Anyone who plays wants those things and all you can do is make the most of where you are at, and that is what I am doing.

"I have won two CONCACAF Gold Cups with my country, now maybe I can win a final with a club."

RidgeRider

He is either being completely honest and suggesting he would like to do all those things, like most footballers would, or he is being honest and subtly suggesting a move away would be whats next to get what he desires.

Thing with Dempsey though is, at least in the Prem, he wouldn't walk straight on to any team that is in the CL right now. He would have to be a sub and work hard to get a spot that may never appear given the depth of those teams.

Can't blame him for wanting more though.

Lighthouse

Yeah I put this in somewhat abbreviated form on Fulham Stuff. But really this is a non story.

Good Player wants to play at highest level. Hardly news is it?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

duffbeer

It shows he would leave,though, for a team more likely to compete in Europe and win cups.  I thought maybe he was happy enough in London and would realize how difficult it would be for him to crack the starting XI of any of those teams, as Ridge pointed out.  Guess not.  Dempsey's not afraid of a challenge.  I really dont see any of those teams wanting him, though. 

PaulUMD

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 30, 2011, 01:50:25 PM
Yeah I put this in somewhat abbreviated form on Fulham Stuff. But really this is a non story.

Yup, and these quotes are a bit out of context as well.

But nevermind all that, bring on the posters who think Demps would never get time on a Champions League side...

jarv

CD has been outstanding for Fulham, like Cahill for Everton and Adam for Blackpool. It is, and always has been, questionable if a stand out player for a mid table club can perform the same with bigger club.
Others that spring to mind...Joe Cole since leaving West Ham, Malbranque after Fulham, Sean Davis, Bentley (all to spuds).

LordNelson

The way I read it, he meant achieving those goals and working to achieve those goals at Fulham.  Maybe I've got blinders.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

goffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 30, 2011, 01:50:25 PM

+1