watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aaron Hughes Should Never Have Left

Started by White Noise, February 02, 2011, 01:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/fulham_star_should_never_have_left_united_1_3035229

Fulham star should never have left United

Versatile ... Fulham's former Newcastle defender Aaron Hughes.

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Wed Feb 02 12:29:45 GMT 2011

FULHAM'S Aaron Hughes was an unsung hero of the Sir Bobby Robson-era at St James's Park.

And the defender should never have been sold by Newcastle United, according to his former team-mate Steve Harper.

But the goalkeeper will put his friendship with Hughes to one side at Craven Cottage tonight.

Hughes is one of two former Newcastle players in Mark Hughes's side, with Damien Duff having left United for the west London club early last season.

Hughes reluctantly left St James's Park in the summer after being sold to Aston Villa by then manager Graeme Souness.

The 31-year-old had been a regular under Robson, playing across the back four as Newcastle challenged at home and abroad.

And Harper would have liked to have seen the Northern Ireland international stay on Tyneside.

"It seems a long, long time ago since he left here, but he's gone on to have a fantastic career," Harper told the Gazette.

"I thought he was a very versatile young player here, and at the time he was sold, I'd have wanted to keep hold of him if I was in charge, as he could do a job in any position in the back four.

"He was moved on, and he's gone from strength to strength for Fulham and his country. It'll be great to see him."

Duff, meanwhile, never rediscovered the form he had enjoyed at Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers after his high-profile move to United in the summer of 2006.

The winger, 31, was hit by a career-threatening injury early in his time at the club, and eventually left after scoring for Newcastle on the opening day of last season.

"Duffer came up here a long time ago as well – Glenn Roeder brought him up here," Harper added.

"He scored an important goal for us at the start of last season – people shouldn't forget that – and moved on.

"I'm sure he'll be very happy down there, but we'll be hoping to make them very unhappy when we leave."

AlFayedsChequebook

cebu

Aaron's been a great signing for us. The H&H CB partnership must be one of the very best in the league.

BalDrick

Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ImperialWhite

Quote from: cebu on February 02, 2011, 03:29:53 PM
Aaron's been a great signing for us. The H&H CB partnership must be one of the very best in the league.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics[/url]

Add to that Schwarzer/Stockdale - who also contribute to our being in the top 6 for defense, joint with Spurs and behind City, Arsenal, United and Chelsea.

White Noise

Can anyone think of a CB pairing in The Prem that have played together more in the last 3 years than H & H - or, indeed, been more successful?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on February 02, 2011, 04:04:38 PM
Can anyone think of a CB pairing in The Prem that have played together more in the last 3 years than H & H - or, indeed, been more successful?

Not necessarily more but Vidic and Ferdinand have been pretty sweet.

HatterDon

Just image how well Newcastle would have done had they been able to keep Oguchi Onyewu and Titus Bramble as a CB pairing.  :011: :011: :011:  :011:

Gooch has a lot of talent, and Bramble actually had a couple of very good seasons at Wigan, but together in Toon Town they might have been the worst CB pairing I've ever seen in the English top flight.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Stan Brown was said by Johnny Haynes to be "only noticed when he's not playing".......Hughes for me is a player like that.....not flash....not headline grabbing......but what would we be without him?