Main Menu

Will We Be Too Tired Against Villa?

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2011, 05:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Duff haunts Newcastle

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Fulham 1 Newcastle 0:

Fulham captain Danny Murphy admitted his side had been flat against Newcastle — but was pleased to see the Cottagers grind out a 1-0 home victory.

Former Magpie Damien Duff, who missed a glorious chance in the first half, grabbed the only goal of the game after 67 minutes as the hosts moved up to 12th in the Barclays Premier League.

Murphy said: "Without making excuses we had a tough game at Anfield last week and against Tottenham on Sunday, and to keep churning out performances is difficult. But in the second half we turned it around a bit.

"We were a bit flat and Sunday's win over Tottenham was such a fantastic display that there is a danger you think it will happen again.

"But also credit to Newcastle, they showed great spirit after a tough few days, losing their best player. But we have played better recently and lost games so we were due a scrappy win."

Duff said: "I had been getting a bit of stick all night, I didn't have the best time up there but that was my first goal of the season.

"It's taken a while and I'm overjoyed."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/duff-haunts-newcastle-15072114.html#ixzz1CsAKB8nR

AlFayedsChequebook

This was a worry heading into the game. I think that we will lose against Villa unfortunately because they have lots of your legs. Would be delighted with a draw up in Aston.

Tom

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 03, 2011, 09:10:40 AM
This was a worry heading into the game. I think that we will lose against Villa unfortunately because they have lots of your legs. Would be delighted with a draw up in Aston.
We should get a point from this game.
Fulham for life!

cebu

Villa Park isn't a happy hunting ground for Fulham, so even a draw would be great.

Burt

Tiredness shouldn't be an excuse.

They are highly paid professionals and train for this sort of thing.

That said, apart from *that* FA cup win all those years ago I can't remember the last time I saw us beat Villa at theirs, so would be delighted with a draw.

Jimpav

I think it depends on the individual players.

Murphy and the back 4 should be okay because they don't spend too much time tearing about.

Sidwell, Dembele and Aj should be fine as they have been out for long periods.

I think Dempsey could do with a rest - would rather see him at his peak for our match against Chelski.

RidgeRider

because of our success under Hodgson, last season we played many weeks with two matches a week, so I expect our boys know what to expect from their bodies and will be fine physically. Agree with everyone else a draw would be a good result against Villa however I think they are vulnerable so you never know.....

jarv

Tiredness? No, I expect the line up to be the same with possibly the use of all 3 subs. Sidwell is fresh as can be. Davies has had a few weeks break. Dembele and AJ are just back. Two new signings are as fresh as daisies.
I expect a bit of a dull first half and Fulham try to nick it in the second.
Happy with a draw. 1-1.  AJ (or Dempsey as usual).

epsomraver

Suprised Murphy mentioned the spurs game, the second half we coasted it , I assume to conserve for last night.