https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Its All Part Of The Learning Process Stocko - Schwarzer

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2011, 07:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Winning Ways

Thursday 3rd February 2011

Mark Schwarzer made a match-winning return to the Fulham line-up on Wednesday evening as he was thrust straight back into the action having only arrived back from international duty with Australia at the Asia Cup on Monday of this week.

The experienced goalkeeper suffered the disappointment of defeat in the tournament final on Saturday evening, but showed no signs of lethargy as he helped the Whites to three points and a clean sheet in his first game back for Fulham.

"There wasn't really much chance of jet lag as there's only a three hour time difference between here and Qatar so I felt very good, very fit. I felt very sharp in training yesterday and again today," he revealed.

"The Manager made a decision yesterday after I trained. We trained with the team and the rest is history. There were no special conversations about it; it's just the way it unfolded."

Although the 38-year-old did express some sympathy for David Stockdale who had performed so admirably in his absence over the past few weeks.

"It's always tough when you come in and do well but then get left out again, but it's all part of the learning process and it's all about how you react afterwards," he said of his highly-rated understudy.

Since Schwarzer departed for the Asia Cup at the start of January, the Whites have enjoyed a run of four wins from six games, progressing to the Fifth Round of the FA Cup, and rising to 12th place in the league as a result of this win, but the big Aussie explained that such form comes as no surprise to him, as his team-mates were already turning the corner before the turn of the year.

"The signs were there before I left," he stated. "We had a great result away at Stoke City, we were unlucky away at Tottenham and after those two games it felt like it was a case of onwards and upwards.

"Tonight might not have been the best performance but we were playing against a side that tries to stop us from playing. But in the second-half we got more space and took control of the game and I think we deservedly won.

"I think you can see there's confidence in the team and that they're really building momentum. And having players coming back from injury makes a big difference."

As well as returns for the likes of Andy Johnson and Mousa Dembele in recent weeks, the team has been strengthened this month with several new signings, and Schwarzer says he has been impressed by what he has seen of his new colleagues.

"Steve did very well today and Gael up front looks very lively - he had a couple of half-chances today. Sometimes new players take a little bit of time to settle, but they look like very good acquisitions."

And finally, despite Fulham climbing three league places on Wednesday, Mark is refusing to get too carried away with the improved league ranking just yet.

"Of course, it's always nice to look at the table and see yourself higher but at this stage of the season it's all about picking up points, and not where you are in the table from week-to-week," he opined.

"The sooner we get to 40 points, the sooner we can then turn our attention to what position we're in."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/SchwarzerNewcastleReaction.aspx#ixzz1CsUCCmvt