News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do You Think John Pantsil Will Get A New Contract?

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

Quote from: Chopper on February 03, 2011, 04:09:43 PM
I appreciated he has his limitations but I really hope he gets a contract extension.

I think it's often much harder to upgrade then you'd think and even if we did get someone else in he'd be a great squad player.

Chris Baird had another storming game at Left Back on Wednesday but I wonder if we'd be better off trying to fill that position with a proper left footer and then moving Chris back to the right hand side.

I worry about Baird at right back....earlier when he was forced into that position he tended to get sucked in to the centre and allowed opposition chances down the touchline and behind him......

...and yes, keep Pantsil...I think he interacts well with Duff, and each is better with the other.  

NogoodBoyo

The two full back positions are currently the weakest links in the squad. 
Baird is not a natural full back but is a very attractive footballing and financial proposition because he can play in so many positions.  Remember, his best position by far at Soton was CB!  His second best position with us has probably been defensive midfield.  His third best is left back.  His least successful place has been at right back.
So, one incredible piece of luck (physical excellence and/or good management) has been the lack of injuries at CB over the last three seasons.  H&H keep turning up for work in stellar form (both physical and mental). 
Hughes M. has quickly realised that the team has been built around five people: Stockdale, H&H, Murphy and Zamora.  Baird could be a revelation if either H was crocked. 
We need him for that most vital of backup plans. 
We need another left back, or for Briggs to mature into a top class left back - and he's a long way from that in my opinion; so we might need another foray into that segment of the market in the summer. 
We need Salcido to "man up" - a distinct possibility with shrewd and careful management. 
We need a top class right back with JP on reduced wages as no more than 3rd string backup (behind new man and roving Baird).  He probably won't take that, but I don't think anybody else will step in for him either.  Managing the wage bill for seniors is where clubs like ours stand or fall.
What great problems to debate.
Nogood "savouring the moment, isit" Boyo

sunburywhite

Don't forget also that half the reason we had a good run in Europe last year was Baird played some stormers at C Half in the early rounds which also turned his fortunes at the club
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Crede15

Its harsh because he seems a great guy and he has played well for us at times but I just think we can do better. He's a nightmare with the ball at his feet and while I think he's a pretty good defender he is prone to errors. Plus he's getting a bit older. I think the preferred scenario is we find a good LB this summer and move Baird over to the right.

All that being said I certainly wouldn't be upset by them renewing his contract, he's a very likeable guy and not a bad player.

HatterDon

Whether you like his play or not, you should hope that we do sign him up for an extension. Why? Because he's going to be sought after this summer for sure. He's a full international with a good World Cup behind him. He's got a great attitude, and -- regardless of the views of many -- he's better than many starting #2s in this league.

If we're going to let him go this summer, it would be nice to get some money for him rather than just letting him go on a free. After his work with us, certainly he's worth twice what we paid The Cheats for him.

So, sign him up Sparky, and get some money for him if he's gone -- along with Gera and Duff -- this summer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Bronsons

I agree JP has been flaky since his injury. But cast your mind back to the game at Chelsea, where he had Drogba in his pocket. The game turned when JP went off injured and Bairdinho switched to his Sanchez position of RB. Drogba promptly found space and headed in.

I think JP was in the form of his life at that point (Ghana's player of the year, and they have a few). If he could get back to that form he'd definitely be worth keeping.

Can he get back to it, though? - no idea. Depends how much of it was Roy's doing, either because JP responded especially well to him or because JP happened to suit Roy's way of playing. Or maybe Pantsil just happened to peak then and will never be as good whatever anybody does for him.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Admin on February 03, 2011, 03:49:12 PM
Hopefully not! Nice guy and all that but going foward he is a nightmare and a headless chicken going back. 2 stupid own goals to his name this season, so many missed placed passes and his goal ratio shows it all. A big fat "0". If anything, I think it's a postion we can improve on come the summer.

+1, sums up my thoughts! 

It should be one of Sparky's top priorities to sign a new fullback in the summer window.