watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Evolution of the World Cup ball

Started by BarryP, February 04, 2011, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryP

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

richie17

you can buy most of them on ebay - Adidas re-released them in the exact specs as from the first time around.  I have the 1970 version and it's lovely.

FC Silver Fox

To my mind (literally), the biggest change was 1966 to 1970. We went from a wet heavy, sometimes round lump of leather that either gave you concussion when you headed it or a double-dotted line across your forehead if you had the misfortune to head the laces and valve.
Then we moved on to a plastic covered football with which you bend passes and shots and not get headaches every Sunday.
The old leather ball tended to be either under-inflated, deadly when wet and almost impossible for a lad to kick more than 20 yards, or over-inflated like a rock. When you headed it, you had to take the recoil factor into account where you neck vertebrae crunched down between your shoulder blades.  Ah, those were the days.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

FC Silver Fox

I think the most aesthetic ball was 1966 (and not just because we won).
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.