watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 04, 2011, 05:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4999/9/dembele-targets-legendary-status-fulham

Dembele targets legendary status at Fulham

By Alex Prior

Thursday, February 3

Fulham's in-form striker Moussa Dembele hopes his performances for the club can make him a legend in west London.

The Belgium international has been one of the Cottagers stand-out performers this season, the culmination of which saw the 23-year-old score a scintillating individual goal against Tottenham in the fourth-round of the FA Cup.

The £5m signing from AZ Alkmaar put in another strong display in Wednesday's win against Newcastle and is hoping his fine form continues so he can write his name into the Craven Cottage history books.

"Hopefully I can make the fans very happy because I want to be an important player for this club and one they talk about for years to come," he said.

"I'm here to make a difference and I believe I can help this club move forward. "I have always had complete faith in my ability and knew that I could compete at this level.

"We're on a good run of form at the moment and we want to keep that going for as long as possible."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/one_year_on.php

One Year On

Posted by Phil Mison 4 hours, 7 minutes ago

© Getty Images

A somewhat laboured but deserved victory over Newcastle concludes a good month for the Whites. Despite the woes of autumn, our season seems back on track.

Let's begin with a snapshot of our latest win. It was the Whites third game in a week and for much of the first half it showed. Neither the pitch nor a whistle happy ref helped, with Fulham disjointed and a long way short of their vibrancy against Spurs. Misplaced passes and hesitancy in midfield kept the home fans largely mute, although we had a full house.

Credit to Newcastle for frustrating us and breaking up the flow of the game. I never thought I'd be writing this, but Joey Barton kept them ticking over, had plenty of the ball, and remained disciplined throughout - even in a losing cause. Not a sign of petulance from him.

The half-time chat from the Sky studio featured Lee Clark and Chris Coleman. Both wore the captains armband for the Whites, both were adamant Brede had been unfairly manhandled in the box going for two first-half free-kicks. Video vindicated their view, but Brede is almost too saintly for his own good - neither complaining nor seeking to exploit the situation. The first obstruction by Williamson was the more outrageous of the two, the lino on the Riverside too pusillanimous to raise his flag. Mark fired off a dose of verbals in his direction, now why can't the FA show some guts and suspend the official concerned?

No matter, some strong words must have been exchanged at half time. Fulham upped the tempo immediately and created three good chances in the first 5 minutes after the restart, with the last Duff skewed a ricochet horribly wide of the post from close range. A howler and he knew it. However, Fulham's fleet-footed forwards were now hitting their stride, Sidwell settled and that allowed Murphy more time, while our back four remained as solidly dependable as ever.

The breakthough came with our captain's great long pass over the top putting Duff in the clear and this time the Irishman made no mistake on 67, the way he celebrated his first goal of the season told you how relieved he was to get that monkey off his back. In the last 20 minutes Fulham returned to some of the swagger we'd seen Sunday. A clutch of openings came the way of Dempsey, Moussa and sub Kakuta - the product of quicksilver passing, alert running and great control. With more composure in the box, and without ever playing close to our best, Newcastle could have been on the end of a thrashing. Man of the match? Take your pick between Pants and Moussa.

As we move up to 12th I am very optimistic about our last third of the season. Fulham's attacking players will pose problems for anyone. How we are going to integrate Zamora into this mix I would not like to hazard a guess. I'd be very interested to canvass opinion as to who you think should makeway for the return of the big man. Not Dembele or Dempsey. AJ...Duff? Does Kakuta get a look in? Surely he must on the evidence of his 20 minutes yesterday. And what now for Gera, Davies and Kamara?

Managers value two qualities above all other in the modern era. Pace and power. A generation ago there was room in the game for elegant passers like Jim Baxter and our own Johnny Haynes. The game now is much more demanding, fitness levels have taken a quantum leap. What Fulham - after astute building in the past six months currently have - are what I call explosive players across the pitch. Footballers all with a turn of pace and no little skill who make things happen, or hustle opponents into errors - AJ, Clint, Moussa, Damien up top and Sidwell in midfield. It's simple to define our upswing in form when you consider pre Christmas we had just ONE player offering this dimension consistently, the matchless Mr. Dempsey. Tireless and brave, give thanks our saviour has remained injury free this campaign.

With the spectre of relegation hopefully banished before Easter, though we have both Chelsea and Man City coming up, I've drawn a comparison between where Fulham stand now and this time last year. After a 0-2 home reverse to Villa at the end of January 2010 we were on the wobble, not having picked up a win for 6 weeks. That put added pressure on our midweek game with bottom side Portsmouth four days later. but we scratched out an unconvincing win at home 1-0, turned the corner and went on a nine match unbeaten run in all competitions that took us up to the two legs with Juventus. And we all know what happened after that...

To put things in perspective then, despite the slow decline from last October onwards as the goals dried up, this time last year we sat 10th in the league with 30 points from 24 games, now its 12th and 29 from one game more. The conclusion to draw from this is that 12 months on, and following the change in management and coaching staff, Fulham is right back on the even keel established under Roy.

Fears that Hughes might impose a more robust and direct style have proved unfounded. The only side without a sending off to date and the lowest number of yellows. Our magnificently drilled back four is last year's model, minus Konchesky. We are still playing football the right way, with signs a more adventurous and - hopefully - winning mentality to away games is on the horizon. In fact, in light of the three new faces arriving in January, one could argue the Fulham of 2011 now carries more promise than Woy's.

Despite the injury setbacks, amidst the volatility and transient nature of football our great little football club must be congratulated for sound governance and solid progress. One final theme that shows a consistency of purpose over time.

Consider the back four for Wednesday's game. In my preview I doubted Newcastle's ability to get behind them. They could not. Since the stumble against West Ham we have three straight shut outs in league action at the Cottage, barely conceding a sniff of goal to opponents. Woy was responsible for Pants, Brede and Mark. The much maligned Sanchez however brought in Hughes, Baird, and crucially Danny Murphy back in 2007 - three of our most consistent players.

This weekend we have a winnable game at another of our bogey grounds, Villa Park. The Villans will hopefully see a team transformed from the one that needed a stoppage time header by Hangeland to snatch a point in early November.

COYW! Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/the-other-midfielder/

The other midfielder

Filed under: Analysis — timmyg @ 5:41 pm

About this time year ago, practically to the date, Fulham labored to a 1-0 win over Portsmouth. After a horrid January that saw many losses and injuries to several first-team squad members, the win over Pompey began an unbeaten run that lasted until mid-March.

Yesterday's result occurred in the midst of a good patch of form — only two losses in 7, both 1-0 away to Spurs and Pool. But, we can still hope it spurs a similar run like we saw last year.

Anywho, yesterday confirmed to me the big difference between Steve Sidwell and Dickson Etuhu. I've posted last night's passing chart from Sidwell and Etuhu's performance against West Brom (his last full 90). It's not so much the passing completion percentage, of which Etuhu dominates, but the location of where each player receives and then passes the ball that we should pay attention to.

I don't really have any video or other footage to prove my point, but watching Sidwell play the ball is like watching a baton exchange during a relay race. During the exchange, the racer without the baton often runs a few strides with his team-mate before the baton-holder passes it to him/her. Likewise, Sidwell runs with the ball for a few paces before making his first touch. It's not that he doesn't go to the ball, or let the ball come to him (every youth coach's nightmare), but he tries to make the defender commit before making a touch. Sometimes this works, sometimes it ends poorly (as evidenced in the low completion rate).

Compare that with Etuhu. In comparison, he's a bit more static. Now, it must be said we've seen Etuhu come out of his shell going forward this season. But Dickson often uses his massive frame to block opponents attacks, and then quickly distribute to (usually) Murphy or Hangeland. It's not a knock against him, but he's playing to his strength — much like Sidwell or any other footballer. He may not spray a 'killer' ball, but you can't get the ball off him.

What this means for either, or our starting midfield as a whole, I'm not too sure. Sidwell offers us a little bit more fluidity, but Etuhu keeps shape.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Etuhu returns in a few weeks time.

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/02/03/manual_220319.html

SCHWARZER: FULHAM NOT SAFE YET

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is taking nothing for granted as the Cottagers bid to stay in the Premier League this season.

Mark Hughes' side claimed a 1-0 victory at home to Newcastle on Wednesday evening, a result which moved them up 12th in the table.

But Australia international Schwarzer insists Fulham cannot afford to relax until they have reached the 40-point mark.

"You're looking at points, not necessarily at the position you are in the table," said Schwarzer.

"The sooner we get to 40 points, the sooner we can start to look further up the table."

The keeper was a surprise starter against the Magpies, appearing just four days after the end of his country's Asian Cup campaign.

He immediately displaced Cottagers understudy David Stockdale, denting the 25-year-old's hopes of a maiden England call-up.

"It's always tough when you come in and you do well and then you get left out again," added Schwarzer.

"But it's also part of the learning process and you've got to see how you react."

Stockdale impressed while standing in for the absent Schwarzer, helping Fulham to four victories in six games and keeping three clean sheets.

White Noise

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/2011/02/ghana-defender-john-pantsil-yet-open-talks-over-new-fulham-deal/

Ghana defender John Pantsil yet open talks over new Fulham deal

Posted On Friday, 4th February 2011

Fulham favourite John Pantsil has yet to hold talks with the English Premier League club over a new deal at Craven Cottage.

The right-back, who turns 30 in June, is out of contract this summer and is therefore now free to open up discussions about a free transfer move to another club at the end of his current deal.

But Pantsil, who joined Fulham from West Ham in July 2008, is desperate to prolong his stay with the Cottagers.

Ghanaian international Pantsil has played a key part in Fulham's greatest spell in their history that included last season's dramatic run to the Europa League final and he is keen to be a part of Mark Hughes' plans.

However, Pantsil confirmed to the Chronicle that discussions have yet to take place.

"There has been nothing like that yet," he said.

"For now, I am concentrating on my game and see what the manager comes up with.

"It is not about me proving myself. I know I am doing well, my team-mates have been here for me and the manager.

"I am just going to focus on my game and not about the contract, if I do that then I do not think I can perform. I will leave that to my agent and the manager."

Pantsil endured an Anfield nightmare last Wednesday when he scored a crucial own goal, but the Craven Cottage faithful were chanting his name again during the 4-0 FA Cup thrashing of Spurs and he celebrated with his now customary victory lap of honour at the end.

And Pantsil aims to repay the fans' faith in him by helping Fulham climb away from the relegation zone, starting tomorrow at Aston Villa.

"If you look at the players in and around the team then we do not deserve to be in this position," he added.

"We are not even thinking of going down. The performances have been good recently and I think we can find ourselves halfway up the table by the end of the season."

White Noise

THE FIRING LINE: Do they Av enough to survive down at West Ham?

By Dan Ripley

Last updated at 12:01 AM on 4th February 2011

The results may be starting to trickle in for Avram Grant at West Ham but that does not mean his position is any safer.

If co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan wanted another fight against relegation they would have stuck with Gianfranco Zola. And with the Hammers still sitting in the bottom three, Grant still has much more work to do yet.

Elsewhere, Alex McLeish's Birmingham are still struggling to pick up wins and along with Roberto Di Matteo's West Brom look most likely to fall into the clutches of West Ham and the relegation zone.

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street. Here's Sportsmail's sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line.

1 West Ham - Avram Grant Has done something right to get Robbie Keane working again and after the semi-final woe, West Ham are starting to pick up healthy points. Still in bottom three though. NON-MOVER

2 Birmingham City - Alex McLeish The Blues are living dangerously despite their draw against Man City. Only goal difference is keeping them out of the drop zone and the owners are not convinced with McLeish. NON-MOVER

3 West Bromwich - Roberto Di Matteo The Baggies continue to stumble from one result to the next and Di Matteo will be more than concerned his team  could not put away a Wigan side on the ropes. Man City away next. UP THREE

4 Aston Villa - Gerard Houllier Houllier's faith in spending a fortune on Darren Bent is being justified but after a defeat at Manchester United, Villa will hope to get back to winning ways at home to Fulham. NON-MOVER

5 Wigan - Roberto Martinez His team have not given up the fight for survival by any means but you have to question the lack of quality in the Latics who have only won four games all season. Blackburn next. NON-MOVER

6 Wolves - Mick McCarthyFailure to take their chances (and kamikaze defending) cost Wolves a point at Bolton. Sitting bottom of the table, fine margins like that can often prove crucial at the end of the season. UP TWO

7 Fulham - Mark Hughes Hughes' team have showed much more venom in recent weeks. The thrashing of Spurs was followed by a slick win against Newcastle. Fulham no doubt enjoying a fine spell. DOWN FOUR

8  Blackburn - Steve Kean
The 7-1 loss in front of the owners at Man United proved to be the catalyst for Sam Allardyce's sacking. Maybe they are a jinx after again being present in Rovers' defeat to Spurs. UP TWO

9 Man City - Roberto Mancini Their title chances are slipping away after throwing away two points at Birmingham. City are just not ruthless enough but are still looking good for a Champions League spot. NON-MOVER

10Chelsea - Carlo AncelottiSpent £75m in the transfer window and it could have easily been £100m. After a mid-season crisis, owner Roman Abramovich has 'backed' his man rather than 'sacked' him. DOWN THREE

11 Newcastle - Alan Pardew Will be gutted not just to have lost his star striker but also by having no time to find a replacement. Newcastle look desperate in attack without Andy Carroll and could now struggle. NON-MOVER

12 Sunderland - Steve BruceLeading contenders to challenge for what is currently the last Europa League spot in fifth but faces a tough task in holding off a vastly improving Liverpool side.  At Stoke next. NON-MOVER

13 Everton - David Moyes Moyes is becoming a very frustrated figure on the Toffees touchline and even a few fans are starting to lose patience with the Scot. Is still much more likely to walk rather than get sacked. UP THREE

14 Stoke City - Tony Pulis
Two recent defeats are a setback for the Potters' hopes for Europe but they can still count themselves in the mix. If the league route doesn't work there is always the FA Cup. NON-MOVER

15 Bolton - Owen Coyle Will be more relieved than pleased after seeing new loan signing Daniel Sturridge stick an injury time winner past Wolves. Time to kick-start their challenge for a European spot. DOWN TWO

16 Blackpool - Ian Holloway It was inevitable Blackpool would hit a poor run of form at some point. Having lost five of their last six they're the most out of form side in the league and are looking down rather than up. DOWN ONE

17Tottenham - Harry RedknappSigns of cracks emerging at White Hart Lane. Redknapp was very disappointed at not being able to bring a striker in the transfer window and Spurs are far from their fluent best. Bolton next. UP ONE

18 Liverpool - Kenny Dalglish
It's all starting to click under King Kenny, albeit with a few million spent here or there. Liverpool have won their last three games and that's before Carroll has even featured. DOWN ONE

19 Arsenal - Arsene Wenger Arsenal are flying and currently the only club in realistic reach of Manchester United in the title fight. Wenger's silence in the transfer market shows he is more than happy with his squad. NON-MOVER

20 Man United - Sir Alex FergusonThe class of 1992 may be starting to wheel out their Zimmer Frames but there is no sign of Fergie and a delivery van of medals heading for the old folks home yet. Wolves next. NON-MOVER

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1353366/THE-FIRING-LINE-Avrams-pressure-Hammers-target-safety.html#ixzz1Cxylh6gG

Tom

You are up early WN. I love being able to read all the Fulham headlines before I go to bed. Thanks and I appreciate all you do on the board!  :54:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

Quote from: Tom on February 04, 2011, 05:53:29 AM
You are up early WN. I love being able to read all the Fulham headlines before I go to bed. Thanks and I appreciate all you do on the board!  :54:

No worries Tom. Thanks.  :54:

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on February 04, 2011, 06:12:21 AM
Quote from: Tom on February 04, 2011, 05:53:29 AM

No worries Tom. Thanks.  :54:
All I got to say is, you are the man WN!  :54: :54:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/preston/9386897.stm

Eddie Johnson hopes to reignite career at Preston

Johnson has made over 40 appearances for the United States

Preston North End midfielder Eddie Johnson believes that his loan move to Deepdale on transfer deadline day will reignite his career.

The 26-year-old United States international moved to Deepdale on loan for the remainder of the season from Premier League Fulham.

"The bottom line is I've come to score goals," he told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"I like to stretch the back four and use my pace to get in behind defenders and hold the ball up."

He added: "I'm adjusted to English football and now I can show my worth and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity for a team who needs a guy to come in and score goals."

Johnson joined Fulham in January 2008 after starting his career with Major League Soccer side Sporting Kansas City.

Phil (Brown) has come in and he's really ambitious about bringing players in that can make an impact

But he admitted that limited opportunities at Craven Cottage had contributed to his arrival at Deepdale.

"I was at home with my wife and new baby, and I got a call from my agent saying, 'Would you be interested in going to Preston?'

"I said, 'Let me talk to my wife first to see how she feels about me being away'. She said, 'This is what you've been waiting for.'

"So I spoke to my agent and said, 'Yes, I think it's a perfect move for me if Fulham's willing to let me go'."

Preston are currently rooted to the bottom of the Championship, seven points adrift of safety following Tuesday's 2-0 defeat at Barnsley.

But despite their current problems, Johnson is sure manager Phil Brown is the right man to turn the club's fortunes around.

"Phil's come in and he's really ambitious about bringing players in that can make an impact," said the Florida-born forward. "He's someone who is trying to get the best out of the entire squad."

Johnson could make his debut against Bristol City in the Championship on Saturday.

White Noise

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2011/02/duff-curse-ful-1-0-ncu.html

Duff curse - FUL 1-0 NCU

Newcastle United's players looked gigantic compared to Fulham's. Properly huge. And protected the ball with their bodies better (and more often) than any team I'd seen, causing the Fulham midfield to make lots of niggly little fouls which they're not really renowned for. They swarmed around the Fulham players when in possession, robbing them of time in which to ply their craft, which meant the ineffective 'long ball to Johnson' tactic reared its head far too often in the first half.

Newcastle played very much like a team who last season were in the Championship - that's not a criticism though. They were earthy and the right side of line, unlike some other teams currently 'gracing' the Premier League. It made for a crap spectacle though.

It was probably the poor entertainment in the first half which meant the 'Blues Brothers' entertainment at half time was so warmly received. Not by me though. If you're trying to promote the singing and dancing tribute act to the Blues Brothers, you should a) sing and b) have a dance choreographed. And if you can't do a, then at least record yourselves singing and mime to that rather than a 30 year old recording of the original band from the widely seen film. Outrageous.

Fortunately the second half stepped up a gear, with Danny Murphy somehow finding the energy reserves to fashion a little space in the middle of the pitch, ably assisted by a workman-like Sidwell and the eventual exhaustion of the Newcastle players.

Fulham had started to get on top, but had not made the breakthrough, leaving Sparky with one of those awkward decisions of whether to stick and hope for a goal or twist and potentially accede dominance. Thankfully for him the goal arrived before he had to decide.

It's no exageration to suggest Duff should have already scored twice before finally putting one past Harper from a long Murphy pass. In fact the Newcastle goalie was probably man-of-the-match with some eye catching saves, one from Dempsey was particularly impressive. It appeared particularly cathartic for Duff, who'd been getting quite a bit of stick from the rather impressive turnout of the Toon Army. The goal settled most nerves, simultaneously taking the wind out of the Toon's sails, and both the fans and Hughes relaxed.

While the fans baited their north eastern counterparts, Sparky chucked on Gael Kakuta for a surprisingly effective debut. He was fast, direct and incisive and maybe should have finished the game with a goal and an assist, but his performance in the hole (I think - it was hard to tell who actually was leading the line when Johnson came off) was very promising for the remainder of the season. He offered a definite glimpse on why it was worth the 'neighbours' breaking all manner of rules to get him.

White Noise

Cottage Cup Clash

Thursday 3rd February 2011

There is yet more action at Craven Cottage this Friday when Fulham's Youth Team take on Watford| in the Fifth Round of the FA Youth Cup sponsored by E.ON (Kick-off 7pm).

Kit Symons' team have already recorded victories over West Brom and Norwich City en route to the last 16, and with a place in the quarter-final at stake, Symons is anticipating another entertaining encounter.

"It will be a tough game. I watched Watford play against Wigan in the last round and they're a good team with some exceptional individuals and a good work ethic," he explained. "We're under no illusions and I've made sure the players know that.

"Our players are in good form and in a good state of mind. We're a good side and I'm very much looking forward to it.

"We know their quality players and who their biggest threats are – but if you just focus on individuals, the others will come back and bite you. We've got to be solid as a unit, from the goalkeeper right through to our centre forwards.

"I'm a big fan of balance, you need an element of strength throughout the side, you need flair, pace, a little bit of everything. If you've got that, then quite often you're going to come out with a decent side.

"We're also lucky that we've got people pushing for places on the bench who can come on and change the game for us. We haven't got the biggest group numerically but I'm delighted that we've got quality all the way through."

With tickets available to buy online as well as on the gate|, a healthy turnout is expected on Friday evening.

"I thought the atmosphere at the Norwich game was brilliant," recalled Symons. "That game was also on a Friday night and it worked so well, obviously the result and performance was excellent but I really enjoyed the overall atmosphere. I think the people who came also enjoyed it, so I'm hoping that even more will come to the game this Friday."

Matchday Retail Offer
Fans coming to the FA Youth Cup match against Watford can receive a FREE Fulham FC backpack from the Stadium Store or Fulham Road Store when spending £10 or more instore. This offer is only valid anytime on Friday.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/SymonsYouthCupPreviewWatford.aspx#ixzz1Cy8Mz9gN

White Noise

Fulham v Bolton or Wigan tickets

FA Cup sponsored by E.ON

Sunday 20th February

Kick-Off 15:00

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders On sale - Seats held until midday, Tuesday 8th February (6 tickets)
Fulham Club Members 9am - Wednesday 9th February (6 tickets)
General Sale  9am - Thursday 10th February (6 tickets)
Loyalty points: 5 (more info)| 

Supporters on the Home Cup Scheme will automatically be debited and tickets will be loaded on to Season Ticket cards. If you are on the home cup tie and your card has expired or changed recently please contact the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (option 3) to update your details.

Buy tickets online|

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices   
NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Ticket Prices   Price 
Adults   £20 
Concessions (16 to under 21 & over 65)   £10 
Juniors (under 16)   £1 (£5 on matchday) 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FACup5RoundCupHome.aspx#ixzz1Cy8f25Wz

White Noise

http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/avfc-opinion/team-of-our-generation-fulham-matters-and-three-points-/

Fulham matters

As things stand at the moment, three extra points would see us move up quite a few places and the way this season is panning out - you wouldn't be surprised to see that happen if we won tomorrow, which is why it is important.

I am expecting Jean Makoun to play again. Did you know, he made 94 passes when we played Manchester United and 85 were successful. Eighty-five successful passes from one player in one match. He looked very good and composed and it was only his second game. If he gets better again tomorrow against Fulham, I'm started to get a little worried about how good he could become.

I'm also not sure, so maybe someone can confirm, but is Bradley available tomorrow? I know I've read something somewhere, but I'm not sure,although I'm sure it will be interesting to see him alongside Makoun. I have a feeling that Houllier has been very specific with who he brought in this window and I think he knows exactly what he wants to achieve.

Which is why I think Bent is going to score. The lad is a machine. He was built to score goals. Not create them or do much else, simply put the ball in the back of the net. Darren Bent probably sleeps 16 hours a day, longer when there is no football match, because if there isn't a goal to score, he doesn't know what else to do.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/48960/aston-villa-vs-fulham/preview

Aston Villa - Fulham Preview: Philippe Senderos to face late fitness test as Luke Young visits specialist

By Ben Bradley

TEAM NEWS

Aston Villa

Villa don't have any fresh injury concerns ahead of their clash with Fulham.

Defender Luke Young has been sent to see a specialist to try and solve his back problem.

Fabian Delph and Stephen Warnock also miss out through injury, whilst Nathan Baker is suspended.

Possible starting XI: Friedel; Walker, Collins, Dunne, Clark; Albrighton, Petrov, Downing, A Young; Bent, Agbonlahor.

Fulham

Philippe Senderos and Dickson Etuhu are expected to return to first team action within the next few days and will face late fitness tests.

Bobby Zamora is to return in the next couple of weeks from a broken leg but the game will come too soon for the striker.

Aaron Hughes will definitely miss the game with a hamstring injury.

Possible starting XI: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Baird, Hangeland, Salcido; Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey; Dembele, A Johnson.

End of a long wait

Fulham will bid to end a disastrous run that hasn't seen them win at Villa Park in the league for over 25 years.

The last time Fulham won at Villa Park in the league was March 1973, where the Cottagers came out 3-2 victors.

Since that fixture the two teams have met 11 times, with Villa winning six of those ties. The remaining five were draws.

Not so mid-table

Both teams are currently sat mid-table in the Premier League at the minute but the way that things are going it could instantly change.

In the worst case scenario Villa could be just one point above the drop zone following the weekend's games and Fulham just two points clear.

Just a few weeks ago Villa found themselves in the bottom three and in a precarious position, but a run of results has seen them rise the league.

Both teams will be anxious to avoid defeat and prevent them being dragged into the scrap once again.

White Noise

http://www.leazesterrace.com/fulham-newcastle-analysis-020211/

Fulham (A) in 5 key points

02.02.11 – Wednesday 8pm

Barclays Premier League

Fulham 1 Duff 67

Newcastle 0

Following a football free weekend, after their early FA Cup exit, Newcastle were back in Premier Leauge action with a trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham. Clad in their unluckly blue away kit, Newcastle succumbed to a 67th minute Damien Duff goal, the former Newcastle player latching on to a pinpoint Danny Murphy pass before slotting the ball into Steve Harper's goal, as Newcastle registered their first league defeat of 2011.

We take a look at the 5 key points from a Newcastle perspective:

1. Tactics and team selection – 442 vs 442

Alan Pardew named the same starting 11 that started the previous game against Tottenham, almost by default such was the number of injured players and lack of strength in depth, however was dealt a blow after only 13 minutes when Shola Ameobi went off injured with a suspected fractured cheekbone and had to be replaced by substitute Nile Ranger.

Both sides lined up in a 442 formation and for the majority of the game cancelled each other out, as was the case at St James' Park earlier in the season. Fulham applied a 442 formation with inverted wingers, players occasionally exchanged positions while the two forwards dropped deep and mixed their runs to maintain their unpredictability. Newcastle however looked rigid in their allocated positions and, although discipline was a part of the gameplan, it reduced their freedom going forward.

2. Congested midfield leads to tight game

With Fulham playing inverted wingers, Dempsey a right footer on the left and Duff a left footer on the right, there was a tendency for the wingers to cut inside onto their stronger foot when in possession, as highlighted in our preview. Newcastle lined up with Joey Barton on the right side of midfield who often drifted inside to his preferred central midfield position, with Jonas Gutierrez the only out and out winger on the pitch.

With a tendency for the wide men, Gutierrez aside, to gravitate towards the middle of the pitch meant that at times there were 6-7 players in what was a congested central midfield area. Both sides pressed, were quick in the tackle and as a result were often able to prevent the opposition from building up an attacking momentum from central midfield – one of the reasons why the game remained so tightly balanced for large periods of the game as neither team could find a way through the congested midfield area.

3. Newcastle fail to see out their defensive game plan

Newcastle interceptions shown in blue

To deal with the inbound threat from the Fulham widemen and that of Danny Murphy in central midfield, Newcastle set up narrowly, with Barton tucking inside, and placed a high emphasis on pressing their opponents when in possession. The Fulham goal aside, Newcastle's game plan was relatively successful as they broke up play on 12 occasions as the chalkboard to the right demonstrates.

However, as highlighted in our preview, it is a dangerous game to give someone with the passing ability of Danny Murphy time on the ball. As if to quantify this point, in the 66th minute when Murphy was allowed time and space he played long a pass to perfection over and behind the Newcastle defence which Duff got on the end of to put Fulham 1-0 up. A moments lapse in concentration which was to prove costly for Newcastle as they failed to see out their defensive game plan.

4. Lack of quality up front

Aaron Hughes tackle success. blue = successful, red = unsuccessful

Following the injury to Ameobi and with Hangelaand winning everything in the air, Newcastle noticeably hit less high balls and instead tried to play the ball into the feet of forwards Best and Ranger to hold up. However this was all too easy for the Fulham defenders, Aaron Hughes in particular who simply pressed up high on his marker, usually Best, and before the Newcastle man had a chance to take a second touch Hughes had nicked it from him. It was simple but effective and prevented the ball sticking up front for any sustained period of time for Newcastle.

As well as an inability to hold the ball up, the Newcastle forwards also showed an inability to beat their man, vary their runs in terms of dropping deep on occasions or making runs in the channels and it became all to predictable for the Fulham defence. Such was their lack of productive involvement in the game, Best and Ranger only managed a combined 19 completed passes and 1 shot.

5. Lack of creativity from the Newcastle midfield

Barton's unsuccessful passing

With Guthrie, Nolan and Barton tending to sit deeper in the Newcastle midfield it was left to Gutierrez to bring the ball out of midfield with his forward runs and although he did this well on several occasions, too often the attacking move broke down as Gutierrez' final ball was poor or not read by the Newcastle forwards.

There was very little else in terms of link up play between the midfield and the forwards as well as a general lack of creativity, too often the passing was poor or easily read by the Fulham players. Newcastle have relied heavily on the passing and creative abilities of Barton this season especially the long diagonal pass which he has perfected, however without a big man up front to aim for this skill becomes a wasted art as there is nobody to receive the passes. The chalkboard on the right displays Barton's unsuccessful passing against Fulham, with his diagonal passing now almost redundant he may be better served in the centre of midfield where he can have more of an overall impact.

At the end of the day...

As is often the case when a game is so tight, a single goal can be enough to win it and this was the case for Fulham. Once Newcastle fell behind they looked short of ideas, quality and belief and in truth never looked likely to get back in the game. Fulham were deserved of the 3 points for their better quality in the final third.

Where Newcastle failed to build up an attacking rhythm going forward, Fulham were more fluid and inventive and bettered Newcastle in terms of chances created both in quantity, 9 shots on target to Newcastle's 3, and quality of chances, and were perhaps unfortunate not to score more than they did with Duff and Dempsey wasting good chances.

It was the worst possible preparation for Newcastle as they sold their best striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool and then spent the days after squabbling over who initiated the move with said player via the newspapers. It must have almost came as a surprise that they actually had a midweek fixture to prepare for and the lack of preparation/fallout from the transfer window seemed to have an impact on the attitude of the Newcastle players as they lacked the confidence and attacking belief that served them well against sunderland and Tottenham in the previous two games.

Of course the loss of Ameobi was a massive factor. Ameobi has his doubters but he has the most experience out of Newcastle's current selection of forwards and poses far more of a threat and concern to defenders. Following the Tottenham game I highlighted that Pardew should look at bringing in another forward and this was while Carroll was still at the club, this never happened and with Carroll now sold and Ameobi expected to be missing for up to 8 weeks the prospect of relying on Best, Lovenkrands and Ranger is bleak. It is all the more frustrating that able and available strikers such as Robbie Keane and Daniel Sturridge were scoring for their new clubs on their debuts this week.

Newcastle are now 10th on 30 points after 24 games and realistically need approximately 14 points from the remaining 42 available to be confident of survival. Achieving a third of the points remaining is more than do-able however it becomes more difficult with a depleted forward line and some difficult fixtures coming up. Next up is Arsene Wenger's Barcelona Lite – Arsenal. With a lack of available forwards, Newcastle may line up 4-5-1 with Cheick Tiote returning from suspension in midfield alongside Kevin Nolan and Danny Guthrie, with one of Best, Ranger or Lovenkrands acting as the long striker. Any points return would be welcome.

Help wanted: If anyone can explain what Martin Tyler meant by Danny Guthrie's yellow card being a Premier League yellow card? apparently the viewers knew what he meant... If you did could you kindly let us know...cheers!

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944002/Aston-Villa-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Aston Villa v Fulham: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Aston Villa and Fulham at Villa Park on Saturday Feb 5 2011, kick-off 15.00 GMT.

PREVIEW

ASTON VILLA V FULHAM Saturday, February 05 15:00
Premier League
Villa Park

By John Ley 6:00AM GMT 04 Feb 2011

Saturday, February 5

Aston Villa v Fulham
Villa Park
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT
TV: Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey; A Johnson, Dembele.
Aston Villa (4-5-1): Friedel; Clark, Dunne, Collins, Walker; Makoun, Petrov, Albrighton, A Young, Downing; Bent.
Referee: Lee Mason. Matches: 13. R3 Y58.

Tale of the game

Villa's good run came to an end at Old Trafford on Tuesday when they lost for the first time in four Premier League games.

They entertain a Fulham who side who, on Wednesday, claimed their second league win in three, the 1-0 victory over Newcastle.

In November, Fulham's Brede Hangeland stole a last minute equaliser after Marc Albrighton had given Gerard Houllier's side the lead.

Defender Nathan Baker is still suspended and also has a calf injury, while midfielder Fabian Delph is missing due to a knee complaint.

American midfielder Michael Bradley could come into contention following his move to Villa from Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Fulham may keep faith with Wednesday's side though Gaël Kakuta impressed when he came on and could start.

This season: Fulham 1 Villa 1.

Last season: Villa 2 Fulham 0, Fulham 0 Villa 2.

Stat of the game: Fulham have never won at Villa Park in the Premier League. Their last win there in the top division was in March 1966 while they last left with three points in March 1973, in the old Second Division.

Betting tip: Fulham struggle away; try 1-0 to the Villa at 6-1.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/02/football-news/hernandez-named-in-mexico-squad

Hernandez named in Mexico squad

Date: 4th February 2011 at 5:58 am |

Written by FFC News Desk

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez has been named in Mexico's squad for next week's friendly against Bosnia-Herzegovina in Atlanta.

It will be coach Jose Manuel de la Torre's first game in charge of the national team after he took over from World Cup coach Javier Aguirre.

De la Torre also named former Spurs midfielder Giovanni dos Santos, who recently joined La Liga's Racing Santander on loan, and Fulham defender Carlos Salcido in the 22-man squad for Thursday's match.

Dutch-based defenders Francisco Rodriguez (PSV Eindhoven) and Hector Moreno (AZ Alkmaar) were also selected for the match at the Georgia Dome.

The friendly is the first of three on Mexico's US tour as De La Torre prepares for the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the US in June and the Copa America in Argentina in July.

Mexico will also face Paraguay in Oakland on March 26, and Venezuela in San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium on March 29.

Goalkeepers: Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca). Defenders: Carlos Salcido (Fulham), Héctor Moreno (AZ Alkmaar), Francisco Javier Rodríguez (PSV Eindhoven), Paul Aguilar (Pachuca), Iván Estrada (Santos Laguna), Edgar Dueñas (Toluca), Jonny Magallon (CD Guadalajara), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres).

Midfielders: Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Israel Castro (UNAM), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey), Antonio Naelson Sinha (Toluca), Luis Perez (Monterrey).

Forwards: Javier Hernandez (Manchester United), Giovanni dos Santos (Racing de Santander), Pablo Barrera (West Ham United), Edgar Pacheco (Atlas), Nestor Calderón (Toluca), Jose María Cárdenas (Santos Laguna), Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey).

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1353597/Aston-Villa-v-FULHAM-Dickson-Etuhu-ruled-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-set-debut.html?

Aston Villa v FULHAM: Dickson Etuhu ruled out but Eidur Gudjohnsen set for debut

Dickson Etuhu will miss Fulham's Barclays Premier League game at Aston Villa after suffering a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury this week.

But new loan signing Eidur Gudjohnsen is in line for his debut after not being considered ready to feature in Wednesday night's win over Newcastle.

Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles) are both nearing returns.
Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Briggs, Davies, Riise, Murphy, Sidwell, Duff, Dempsey, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Kamara, Gera, Dembele, Salcido, Greening, Johnson, Halliche.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1353597/Aston-Villa-v-FULHAM-Dickson-Etuhu-ruled-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-set-debut.html#ixzz1D0JmuxeO