watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- The Villans v. The Good Guys

Started by HatterDon, February 06, 2011, 01:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Before I begin the match report proper, I'd like to say a huge thank you to the traveling supporters today. You were loud and clear for 90+ minutes -- especially on television [I listened to GJ live and watched some 9 hours later]. I heard all the songs, and sang along with most of them. It was an impressive display that I know inspired the lads. RESPECT!

Sidwell Makes the Difference

Steve Sidwell had a satisfying return to Villa Park on Saturday, epitomizing the "box-to-box" midfielder by breaking up attacks, linking between defenders and forwards, hammering several shots on goal, and leaving his autograph on Stylian Petrov in the process. Once again, it was apparent that the majority of the entertainment at a Fulham match is going to come in the second half – unless we're playing Spurs in the FA Cup, of course – but the entire 90 minutes plus provided a good showcase for two teams who should move comfortably higher in the table before this campaign has ended.

Villa scored twice, the first on an unfortunate own goal by the increasingly snake-bit John Paintsil, the second when everyone except Sidwell stood between Kyle Walker and the goal, but couldn't stop his 40 yard shot. I still don't understand why the ball had traveled fully half its path before Schwarzer reacted, but perhaps he didn't see it coming. In both cases, Villa's goals came against the run of play.

Fulham scored twice in opportunistic fashion on what turned out to be a sub-standard day for Brad Friedel, the first when Sidwell's haymaker rebounded off the keeper's body and was found by a very quick and decisive Andrew Johnson, the second when Clint Dempsey stole in between Friedel and a Murphy corner to head solidly home. In both cases, Fulham's goals erased a Villa lead.

The first half was an untidy affair with constant changes of possession. Four consecutive passes would have constituted an attacking revolution for the opening period. The two players who most caught the eye during this half were Stuart Downing and Darren Bent. With Ashley Young taking up a more central role, Downing operated as an orthodox winger and roasted Chris Baird for the entire 45 minutes. Dempsey didn't help much – as a matter of fact, I don't thing we've seen Dempsey as quiet as he was all of the match. Bent is easily the most effective English striker I've seen this season. He made Hangeland look awkward and late. On more than one occasion, it was John Paintsil who bailed out the bedeviled Thames Embankment.

Despite all this menace from the right wing, when Villa's goal came, it was hardly reflective of the difference between the Clarets and the Whites.

The second half featured two sides fully committed to taking the three points. Fulham equalized after a lot of good play from the central midfielders as Murphy and Sidwell demonstrated their dominance of Petrov and Makoun. The former was mugged by both central mids, along with Dempsey, Dembele, and even Johnson. The latter must have left Houllier wondering why he didn't have Bradley available on the bench. And thank goodness that we won that control. It was that dominance and the substitution of Salcido for Paintsil [with the movement of Baird to right back] that finally drove Downing off the right wing. After Salcido demonstrated that he could cope, Houllier brought on Heskey for Makoun, moved Young to the right and pushed Downing to the middle of the pitch.

The only thing missing from the very entertaining second half was a 94th minute game winner. How sweet it would have been to have taken points again from Villa in the last minute of extra time. Although I thought we looked the more likely to break the deadlock, it was not to be.

Those Fulhamites who caught the eye in a positive way today included Hughes, Dembele, Johnson, Sidwell, Murphy, and Paintsil. After "scoring" our Ghanaian played brilliantly, I thought. I'm not sure why he was pulled off the pitch. He was not the fullback having problems all day.

Despite the fact that his blockbuster just barely missed getting us those three points in the last 20 seconds of the match, Chris Baird leads the list of those who were below standard. That list also includes Dempsey, Hangeland, and Schwarzer.

Although Johnson and Duff really impressed today, I'd say it's fairly clear that Fulham's man of the match was Steve Sidwell. It is going to be very difficult for Dickson Etuhu to get his starting gig back.

Chelsea is at the Cottage on Monday next, and I really like our chances of having a good result on the day. We are solid in attack, midfield, and defense. We have a very strong bench. We are organized and pass the ball well. Bring 'em all on, one at a time, and we'll take care of business.

COYW  
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

The reason given for Pants going off was that he was suffering because of the own goal. He was a bit upset. Far be it for me to doubt the official line but it looked as if Pants played better after the set back. Although Salcido did not play poorly when he came on and Baird did look happier on the right.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LordNelson

Disagree as to Murphy.  Thought he played poorly today--bad passes & poor distribution.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

finnster01

Also disagree about Hangeland. Bent didn't scare me at all except for the dodgy offside goal which had nothing to do with Hangeland.  If one of the Thames Barrier should be slagged off, it should be Hughes. He lost his man far too many times. Hangers ruled the air as usual, bailed out the team several times, especially on the horrible backpass which was followed up with the clever through ball. If Hangers isn't there, it is one on one and most likely a goal.

Other than that little disagreement in opinions, good report and a great read as always. Keep them coming Mr Hatter.  :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Ag

I also wondered if you meant Hughes instead of Hangeland, b/c that's who was losing Bent off his back shoulder.

Bit more to disagree with this week than usual (stay out in the snow too long?  :027:).  I think the impression that JP defended well was a byproduct of Villa's tactics.  They focused heavily on Downing v Baird so Pantsil wasn't under as much pressure aside from the crosses, one of which he put in our net.  Throw in his usual erratic passing and I just can't find his performance brilliant, much less good.

I think Dempsey's silence was a byproduct of our tactics (attacking Clark and Dunne with Duff and a forward) as well.  Since Duff wasn't able to provide much quality in his crosses, Dempsey didn't see much of the action.  However, Dembele and Sidwell did (due to Villa leaving the middle open) and they prospered.  To be fair though, you did say "below his standard" so that's less a disagreement than an observation.  I think our first half tactics did Baird no favors either, but he seemed off in all facets anyway.

I still don't see how you can make out the singing so well.  I don't know if it's the musician in you, the time you spent in country or both, but I envy you that.  Aside from the obvious ones, on tv I often can't tell which side is singing, much less what they're singing.  Good effort sir.  And let me know when you want to :beer:.

Steve_orino

Quote from: Ag on February 06, 2011, 03:42:59 AM
I still don't see how you can make out the singing so well.  I don't know if it's the musician in you, the time you spent in country or both, but I envy you that.  Aside from the obvious ones, on tv I often can't tell which side is singing, much less what they're singing.  Good effort sir.  And let me know when you want to :beer:.

I don't understand how he makes it out either.  Do tell Hatter, do tell us you're secrets
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

Mr Hatter has a fine ear, but the biggest secret is that it is easier to make it out when you know what to listen for.

May I suggest you all take Fulham chant lessons from  Mr HatterDon and follow up with a visit to the Cottage after graduation to test it in the real setting.

And make sure to bring cotton-wool for your ears if you are seated anywhere near Mr LBNo11's territory  :dft012:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Alright Mr. Ag, seems we have some work to do...

Start with this chant (I learned it last year - still makes me smile)
http://fanchants.com/football-songs/fulham-chants/we-are-fulham/

Make sure to click on the link towards the upper-right to listen to other Fulham chants.
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

For those of you who can remember this far back...

Remember the game where after 5 minutes we were down a goal after Trezeguet silenced the Cottage, there was a chant around the 60th minute http://fanchants.com/football-songs/fulham-chants/if-you-still-believe/

Gives me goose-bumps listening to it -- especially recalling that game
@Borino09