News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Talksport Scores 'Sensational Coup' - Can Ya Guess What It Is Yet?

Started by White Noise, February 08, 2011, 02:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/08/richard-keys-andy-gray-talksport

Richard Keys and Andy Gray join TalkSport

Station says it has scored 'sensational coup' by signing former Sky Sports presenters who were caught up in sexism storm

Share9  Comments (2) John Plunkett guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 February 2011 14.17 GMT

Andy Gray and Richard Keys left Sky Sports after a row over sexist comments thay made about a female football official. Photograph: Fiona Hanson/PA Wire

Disgraced former Sky Sports presenters Richard Keys and Andy Gray have been signed up by TalkSport to present a flagship daytime show on the talk radio station.

TalkSport moved in for the pair just two weeks after they were engulfed in a sexism storm which began after they made disparaging comments about a female football official off air that were leaked to the Mail on Sunday.

Gray was sacked by Sky Sports after new evidence of "unacceptable and offensive behaviour" came to light. Keys later resigned after giving an ill-advised radio interview about the incident, coincidentally on TalkSport.

The pair will present a three-hour weekday show between 10am and 1pm, beginning on Monday next week.

Keys said it was the "start of something new and very exciting for Andy and myself". He added: "We are delighted to be joining the TalkSport family and can't wait to get started."

The TalkSport programme director, Moz Dee, described the signing as a "sensational coup" for the station.

"The events of the last couple of weeks have been a lesson and has changed them," said Dee.

"One thing that hasn't changed however is that they are two iconic broadcasters who have a wealth of experience in the world of sport and that's what we have to do now – move forward with them as sports broadcasters.

"I think it's a sensational coup for TalkSport and great for radio. These men have carved out amazing careers in television and were at the forefront of the Sky revolution. I think they are going to have a massive impact on the radio scene."

Dee has known both Gray and Keys for some time, working with the former on the original incarnation of TalkSport, Talk Radio's coverage of the 1998 football World Cup. He later worked with Gray at BBC Radio 5 Live and its coverage of the 2002 World Cup.

Gray said: "I can't tell you how excited I am to be joining TalkSport. It's a wonderful opportunity for Richard and I to do what we do best and that's talk about sport."

Keys and Gray were the long serving faces of Sky Sports' Premier League coverage until the sexism row that engulfed both them and the broadcaster after they were recorded suggesting that female officials "don't know the offside rule".

Further clips emerged showing Gray exchanging sexist comments with a Sky Sports touchline reporter before the match and to a female Sky Sports presenter.

Another clip emerged of Keys discussing a former girlfriend of Sky pundit Jamie Redknapp.

TalkSport broadcasts 64 live Premier League games a year and celebrated record audience figures of more than 3 million in the final three months of last year.

ron

Stand back ! Stand back ! Let me tune my radio in to their wit and wisdom without delay !

.....Something's up, I can't find "Neanderthal Radio" on my DAB......

epsomraver

That's brilliant news!  keeps all the crutch pieces together on one station, savage looking for a move!

JBH

Just about sums up that station Talk Sport = Talk Bollox now = Talk down to Women

I admit to listening to Hawksby and Jacobs at the moment but after this peice of news I will boycott the sexist staion completely.

:59:

LBNo11

...which only goes to prove that crap eventually sinks to the bottom.

This is no surprise at all, let's face it talksport are so up sky's behind they have colonised their upper regions, and no decent radio station would have them; a marriage made in heaven...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Abbotsbury White

I must be a bit sad I actually listen to talksport,I just take most of what they say with a pinch of salt I am old and ugly enough to differentiate between utter boll~x and breaking sports news,wind up merchants etc,I suppose its a secret pleasure,I will have a quick listen to Gray/Keys and make up my mind but the sad news is that Mike Parry has walked out,he actually did make me laugh at times with theories that jockeys should have wing mirrors attached to their caps and that one day a man will run the 100 metres in 1 second crazy as a box of frogs but entertaining nevertheless.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

JBH

Chopper

Quote from: epsomraver on February 08, 2011, 02:39:27 PM
That's brilliant news!  keeps all the crutch pieces together on one station, savage looking for a move!

Quality!

This is the least surprising bit of news I can remember hearing since I was told money doesn't grow on trees.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Abbotsbury White

Quote from: JBH on February 08, 2011, 05:15:50 PM
Mo is there an article on Parry's walkout??
Just an announcement today that how they thanked him for his work etc etc but he has decided to move on,he didnt do his normal slot Last Friday??
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

mccscratch

I listen to Talksport during the day here in the States just because our sports stations suck most of the time and nobody talks footie... I personally believe in 2nd chances as well so I will give them a listen... I think a lot of the fellas on here are being a little over-reactionary about the sexism, I know that I am not a sexist but I can't sit here and claim to have never said something inappropriate when around my buddies having a drink... Their problem was they were doing at work which is just dumb... hopefully they learned.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

JBH

Quote from: JBH on February 08, 2011, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: mccscratch on February 08, 2011, 07:19:29 PM
I listen to Talksport during the day here in the States just because our sports stations suck most of the time and nobody talks footie... I personally believe in 2nd chances as well so I will give them a listen... I think a lot of the fellas on here are being a little over-reactionary about the sexism, I know that I am not a sexist but I can't sit here and claim to have never said something inappropriate when around my buddies having a drink... Their problem was they were doing at work which is just dumb... hopefully they learned.

The point is mccscratch:

When the story broke every presenter to a man on Talk Sport were quick to condem  both Keys and Gray calling them every thing under the sun and now they have to work with these 2 Dinasaurs all except Mike Parry (because at least he has stuck to his principles on those 2 and quit the station) have nothing to say anymore about them especially that special special one Knob Durham

Double standards from presenters who funnily enough work on a Radio Station which coincedentally has no Females Presenting a show!  :046:

mccscratch

Quote from: JBH on February 08, 2011, 07:40:37 PM
Quote from: JBH on February 08, 2011, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: mccscratch on February 08, 2011, 07:19:29 PM

The point is mccscratch:

When the story broke every presenter to a man on Talk Sport were quick to condem  both Keys and Gray calling them every thing under the sun and now they have to work with these 2 Dinasaurs all except Mike Parry (because at least he has stuck to his principles on those 2 and quit the station) have nothing to say anymore about them especially that special special one Knob Durham

Double standards from presenters who funnily enough work on a Radio Station which coincedentally has no Females Presenting a show!  :046:

Well noted but Radio is all about hyperbole... have we confirmed that Mike Parry is leaving because they are joining? I mean they cant exactly come out say they agreed with them, they have to take the proper stance at risk of their own peril...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise