watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The King's Speech

Started by Peabody, February 08, 2011, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Just got back from seeing The Kings Speech. I have to say, I found unexpectesly very good. Some excellant performances, besides Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Michael Gambon is Edward V. Guy Pearce makes a really believable Edward VIII and Helen Bonham Carter is really good as Elizabeth (The eventual Queen Mother). I am pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed, because I am a bit of an agnostic when royalty is concerned.

SG

HBC - one of my favourites - she could have me any time she likes !

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Peabody on February 08, 2011, 05:51:00 PM
Just got back from seeing The Kings Speech. I have to say, I found unexpectesly very good. Some excellant performances, besides Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Michael Gambon is Edward V. Guy Pearce makes a really believable Edward VIII and Helen Bonham Carter is really good as Elizabeth (The eventual Queen Mother). I am pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed, because I am a bit of an agnostic when royalty is concerned.

I don't think you can be agnostic about royalty. I'm a firm believer - I know they exist. I'd just like to see them all guillotined.

cebu

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 08, 2011, 06:32:13 PM
Quote from: Peabody on February 08, 2011, 05:51:00 PM

I don't think you can be agnostic about royalty. I'm a firm believer - I know they exist. I'd just like to see them all guillotined.

None of these strange froggy devices sir! Good old fashioned gallows will do.   :011:

Burt

Need to go and see it... The missus saw it with some of her girlie friends and has raved about it, as have a few blokey types that I know.

Who fancies a FOF night out at the movies? Popcorn and pic 'n' mix for starters, followed by a few beers and a ruby.

jarv

Royalty????  Biggest welfare recipients in the land. They have never had a real job and fit nicely into the bracket "several generations in one family on the dole".
You know the ones, they get all the criticism in the murdoch press, but at least they only cost about 70 quid a week (or whatever the dole is these days).

Blingo

Hey Peabody, do you think he will get an o o o o o o o o o oscar for his p p p p part in iiii t

Tonywa

Saw it last week.  Really excellent entertainment.  Fairly undemanding, but very well acted.

ImperialWhite

Right, you know how Lionel persuaded Bertie to take his classes using the "listen to music and read this trick"? If this worked so well, why didn't he pull the same stunt for the proper speech?  :49:

NogoodBoyo

Good lord, I'm more than agnostic about the royal family too, but somebody told me to "calm down, young man" last time I spleened a vent about them.
Lovely film, nonetheless.
Spilt my beans at Gilroy's statement, but I fear the Mods will close this down quicker than H&H in a two-ringed binder if we carry on sergeant with the poor unfortunates.
Nogood "don't know about agnosticism when atheism will do, isit" Boyo

Whiteroom

Quote from: jarv on February 08, 2011, 09:57:33 PM
Royalty????  Biggest welfare recipients in the land. They have never had a real job and fit nicely into the bracket "several generations in one family on the dole".
You know the ones, they get all the criticism in the murdoch press, but at least they only cost about 70 quid a week (or whatever the dole is these days).

Just to put the record straight, they actually bring in a lot more money to the country, through tourist etc, than they take. Financially the royal family help Britain. Anyway, great film. One of the best.

Logicalman

Mr P, without trying to appear smart, but didn't Gambon play George V ?

Anyways - we also saw it last night, and it was a good film. Great pace without being too fast to lose the uninformed, though I didn't feel Spall gave the best Winnie (I like Spall in so many other roles though). Perhaps a little artistic licence in the addressing of the King by Logue, though, by all account,s it is rumored that the scripts was altered just weeks before shooting after his diaries were discovered and handed over to the script-writers.

Bonham-Carter puts in her usual steady role (she still gets my juices running that one does), and Pearce is a strong Edward.

Worth the price of a ticket to see. Deserving of any and all awards it is nominated for.

BTW: I can vouch for the earphones to overcome stammering, I used to go to a place just down from the Bush on the S Bush Road, near to Westwick Gardens I believe and after a few months it helped clear mine up.

Snibbo

I enjoyed it immensely.  Thought Colin Firth was fantastic.  A little sugar coated perhaps, and suspect the finale is largely fictitious.  I read somewhere that the BBC sound engineers did a lot to remove his stutters from the broadcast.  But even if its a work of largely fiction, it was splendid entertainment.

finnster01

I seem to be the only man on earth who was not overly impressed.

I thought it stuttered, sorry sputtered, at times.  :58: But then again I hated Black Swan too
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Scrumpy

Quote from: Snibbo on February 09, 2011, 03:41:26 AM
I enjoyed it immensely.  Thought Colin Firth was fantastic.  A little sugar coated perhaps, and suspect the finale is largely fictitious.  I read somewhere that the BBC sound engineers did a lot to remove his stutters from the broadcast.  But even if its a work of largely fiction, it was splendid entertainment.

Me too. I'd recommend it to anyone. But you're right about the final speech, which in reality was recorded in advance, then edited by some youngster at the beeb, then broadcast to the unwashed masses who listened faithfully to their masters every word (except for Jarv's mob, who were down the pub 'dissing' royalty  :005:)

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Peabody

Quote from: Logicalman on February 09, 2011, 03:08:18 AM
Mr P, without trying to appear smart, but didn't Gambon play George V ?

Anyways - we also saw it last night, and it was a good film. Great pace without being too fast to lose the uninformed, though I didn't feel Spall gave the best Winnie (I like Spall in so many other roles though). Perhaps a little artistic licence in the addressing of the King by Logue, though, by all account,s it is rumored that the scripts was altered just weeks before shooting after his diaries were discovered and handed over to the script-writers.

Bonham-Carter puts in her usual steady role (she still gets my juices running that one does), and Pearce is a strong Edward.

Worth the price of a ticket to see. Deserving of any and all awards it is nominated for.

BTW: I can vouch for the earphones to overcome stammering, I used to go to a place just down from the Bush on the S Bush Road, near to Westwick Gardens I believe and after a few months it helped clear mine up.

Apologies. I did mean George V.