watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Coleman

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, November 17, 2017, 08:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

To resign as Wales coach to take over at Sunderland.

Just in time to play us, so they can get their first home win of the season.

Mince n Tatties

He must be insane going there,umpteen have turned it down...He can do better than that,they are a poison chalice...If he holds on till after our game tomorrow he might get his old job back...lol
Ooooops shouldn't have said that,a certain poster will be frothing at the mouth again.😁

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 17, 2017, 08:08:05 PM
He must be insane going there,umpteen have turned it down...He can do better than that,they are a poison chalice...If he holds on till after our game tomorrow he might get his old job back...lol
Ooooops shouldn't have said that,a certain poster will be frothing at the mouth again.😁

I am not a big believer in the prodigal son returning and all that but if he held back until Monday and we pull out another decidedly average performance tomorrow there is the potential of another vacancy.
There that's two of us.

The Old Count

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 17, 2017, 08:20:28 PM

I am not a big believer in the prodigal son returning and all that but if he held back until Monday and we pull out another decidedly average performance tomorrow there is the potential of another vacancy.
There that's two of us.

You both know better than that - It wouldn't work.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: The Old Count on November 17, 2017, 08:38:51 PM

There that's two of us.

Damn your eyes sir. Okay then next topic.

filham

Sure a lot of good men have failed at Sunderland but you can see the temptation for Chris. Sunderland are a big club with a large ground and a big fan base and a good history.

If Chris could turn things around in a couple of years his reputation would soar and he would become a man wanted by top teams.

Rhys Lightning 63

I was prepared to see Coleman leave, I NEVER would have guessed it would be for Sunderland.
Don't know if I'm more shocked or confused.
The next appointment is going to be tough, not too dissimilar to replacing Fergie. BIG shoes to fill
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Old Count on November 17, 2017, 08:38:51 PM

There that's two of us.

Yes I wouldn't be too keen on it.

HatterDon

there's a large part of me that would have liked Cookie to take over the shambolic US national team. He did so well with so little with Fulham and did a fine job with Wales.

Yes, Sunderland is always a potential poisoned chalice, but it is also a big club that -- given stability -- can command a huge support base.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on November 17, 2017, 09:11:20 PM
The next appointment is going to be tough, not too dissimilar to replacing Fergie. BIG shoes to fill

The dirty work was done by Speed who had them on the crest of a wave. The tragic events re Soeed only instilled the togetherness and connected the fans and players as one.
Throw in a world class player, benefitting from The exposure Cardiff and Swansea for from getting to premier league : Williams, Taylor, Ledley, Allen, adding to the fact they have some great players at big clubs:  Ramsey, Williams, Davies, Chester

Would agree that he has done a great job, but he's been in a position to manage very good players. Other than 2 wins v Belgium, beating Russia, every result has been expected and the failure to beat Serbia or Ireland in either qualifying game was disappointing.

Like I said he done a decent job but I wouldn't build it up . However I agree the next appointment is important. Giving it to someone like Giggs just for sentimentality would be absurd , just as silly as giving it to Pulis just because he will probably be sacked soon. It's a highly coveted international job now but would also be daft giving it to a non Welshman as I mentioned at the start, the connection between manager/ players/ fans has been their key strength.

aaronmcguigan

Coleman is bound to have realised that he could have had his fair share of jobs throughout Europe so choosing Sunderland is puzzling. He's well known in European football and has experience of international football, managing in Greece, Spain and managing a world class player.
The only logic would be the challenge of actually turning something around , stopping an ingrained rot. Hes kind of had experience in the past I think, didn't he take the Sociedad and Larissa jobs when they were both just relegated?
he's clearly stated his aim is Champions League football, so perhaps just a stepping stone until the summer when decent jobs will be available across Europe?

EJL

Coleman's about to undo years of hard work.