https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1879 what we can do to get our club back

Started by Jim, May 01, 2016, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

Quote from: Ols_S on May 04, 2016, 10:59:14 AM
Quote from: Holders on May 04, 2016, 10:06:43 AM
It amazes me to hear that NFL can sell out Wembley. I wouldn't have thought that there were enough American ex-pats suffering withdrawal symptoms ro merit Woking.

I go every year to all three. Its a brilliant day out. Spectacle and more entertaining than much of the cottage this year unfortunately. Not that I'll stop going to either!

Its hugely popular!

:plus one:

VicHalomsLovechild

Jim, I've worked for companies that didn't invest in non related business activities.  Like heating, toilets, computers, transport etc. I've worked for companies that did. Guess which ones I preferred enjoyed and I believe I worked harder for!
Directors. Again I've known a few mostly from afar. They weren't always expert in that companies chosen business but they were expert in something. Usually something the company was after.
Investment. As MJG pointed out in a previous post. Investment in the ground is outside of the fair play rules. However investment in the players is but this is something we can actually get involved in. Correct me if I'm wrong but a club can spend more if it earns more. So if we all buy extra tickets, pies, several XXXL (to accommodate the pies) replica kits this will allow us to spend more. It's a risk, granted. We may do badly but it's cheaper than the 250 mil someone forked out.
No one's happy with things but moaning while it might makes us feel better short term doesn't long term.
Shout and cheer for 90 plus minutes. Win, loose or draw show you really care that way. That's how you get YOUR Fulham back.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Jim

Obviously there has been a lot of debate on my post. I would say two things; I was asked by a member of FOF to start the thread. Those really interested in who it was can crawl through the posts.

Another individual described my post as a  tantrum. It is obvious that they can no longer recognise passion for Fulham as he hasn't seen it on the pitch for three years.

It it easy to do nothing than do something. The Fulham Board must love are lethargy as it is becoming the norm.

snarks

The thing is you are saying to do something about what you and a few others perceive, a lot on here (from reading this thread) don't view the situation as you do, or see the conspiracy that you believe you see.

Hence my decision to carry on supporting the team and ignoring the protest whisper

win-dup

Quote from: MJG on May 03, 2016, 12:28:51 PM
Quote from: win-dup on May 03, 2016, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: Tonywa on May 03, 2016, 10:24:41 AM
Quote from: MJG on May 03, 2016, 09:19:52 AM
Question  ..."give us back our Fulham"

What is it you want back exactly?

Well quite. It's a phrase I hear bandied around frequently on this group, but I confess I don't have the first idea what it means.  Could the person who started the thread please elucidate.

Well, I'll have a go.  It surely means an owner who gives a toss
about the club ,and  a manager who can motivate his players to at least run until they die even if they are technically not very good footballers. Simples.
So Fulham have always had managers who did that have they?
Which one do you want back....Sanchez, Dicks, Jol.... Anyone else?

If Clay or Bulstrode were alive would have them back? did they give a toss?

What you mean is you want a good performing Fulham back. you want a winning team back?

But this is football, its full of highs and lows. As I tweeted today Ive seen 4 promotions and 4 relegation's at least.

What about Mo, maybe he will come back and move us to QPR again while he tries to build on CC....oh wait I'm sorry he gave a toss didn't he. 

Ok, so who do you want Khan to sell to then?  Anyone with a spare £250M to pay him back?

Blimey, calm down dear.

Off the top of my head, good chairman/management combinations? How about Charles Dean/ Frank Osborne, Tommy Trinder/ Alec Stock, Jimmy Hill/Micky Adams. At least those people cared some of the time, unlike the current Laurel and Hardy clowns.

HatterDon

Well, it's been a while since I've posted this, but the idea that the NFL is bringing a franchise to London is a bad joke. Here are some of the reasons:

Television: it's difficult enough for us to shuffle through 4 time zones; England would make TV coverage even more problematical. It's why we don't have a team in Honolulu

Business models: The NFL ownership structure contravenes several British and EU laws. Each player's contract is controlled by the league, not the owner. Movement between clubs is impossible without the imprimatur of the league.

Tax: The NFL has swindled the US government into believing that it's a non-profit organization. These billionaires have a huge cash cow because of that. The NFL also receives the monies for television, radio, kit sales, everything -- all in a tax-free swindle. None of this would be legal in the UK or Europe. And, of course, there's a question of taxation of American players who will have to live in England.

Why does the NFL regularly play games in England if they're not expanding to the UK? The NFL wants to eclipse the Premier League as the worlds #1 televised sporting event. London isn't the only place where they've played. Japan and Mexico are others. They want kids all over the world to ignore their Man U shirts and wear Chicago Bears shirts instead.

I'll be happy to repeat this later when more speculation about Khan's secret plan to bring the NFL to London arises again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Patrick

Quote from: Jim on May 04, 2016, 05:41:56 PM
Obviously there has been a lot of debate on my post. I would say two things; I was asked by a member of FOF to start the thread. Those really interested in who it was can crawl through the posts.

Another individual described my post as a  tantrum. It is obvious that they can no longer recognise passion for Fulham as he hasn't seen it on the pitch for three years.

Jim.....thanks very much for posting this thread...and the one that you posted on Cottage Corner...at a minimum these threads have produced debate...and perhaps re-assessment of viewpoints..for some people.
I will be at the Cottage this Saturday...like I have for every home game since 2012...however I doubt very much that I will be 'clapping/applauding the boys' at the game end.     Relationships are a two-way transaction...and for the past 3/4 seasons everything has been in one direction......in additionto this the contemptible and patronising PR' crap from 'Galey' and even Sean D has added insult to injury

It it easy to do nothing than do something. The Fulham Board must love are lethargy as it is becoming the norm.

Jim

Patrick thank you for sharing your perspective. I know that all of us want was is best for Fulham COYW

Jim

Snarks  good luck with your approach. I hope you are right let's open the conversation again after the summer and after the first 10 games.

Jim

Doing nothing has always moved mountains lol. All progress is made by the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw. No he didn't play for Fulham lol.

Patrick

Quote from: Jim on May 04, 2016, 07:24:58 PM
Doing nothing has always moved mountains lol. All progress is made by the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw. No he didn't play for Fulham lol.

Agreed Jim....and a quote from a greatest English of the 20th Century writer that is apt for FFC's current status...

''We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men''

George Orwell

Jim

Patrick a great quote. O for intelligent men with passion

cmg

Quote from: Patrick on May 04, 2016, 07:38:55 PM

''We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men''

George Orwell

I'm not sure that old George, despite a handy turn of phrase, was a great admirer of sport:

"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting" (The Sporting Spirit - 1945). He must have taken in a Stoke game on the road to Wigan pier.

or, indeed of the beautiful game itself:

"I loathed the game, and since I could see no pleasure or usefulness in it, it was very difficult for me to show courage at it. Football, it seemed to me, is not really played for the pleasure of kicking a ball about, but is a species of fighting." (Such, Such Were The Joys - published 1952)

Holders

[/quote]

George Orwell
[/quote]

Perhaps we could get that translated into Latin and used as the FoF motto until such time as we're moved to "believe" again.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

westcliff white

I read most threads as a Mod and don't remember that but then probably only remember those that contain something that could turn to an argument.

I personally think the idea of a waving cards saying we want our Fulham back and chanting the same is quite funny, same as i laughed at the arsenal fans when they did it last weekend, I mean how many fans would gratefully accept finishing top 4 almost every year? Seriously only one team can win the league out of those that take part, anyway I digress for which I give apologies.

The leaving on 79 minutes, each to there own, the club already have your money from the season ticket or any other ticket purchased, any program or  merchandise purchased and of course from any food purchased, the only thing your hurting is the players and the result, the team need to be supported through thick and thin. We are in a thin period for sure but walking out for me is a moribund point. This is all about success and what we got used too, people never did this 30 years ago, our relative success, by Fulham standards, has bought this on in my opinion and it is for me a sad state of affairs. Don't misunderstand me I am not saying withdraw our support financially, I am renewing my two season tickets and we will go as often as we can, I was just pointing out chanting certain terms or walk outs will have very little effect and will be detrimental to the team overall.

I love the club as does my son, and we hurt with the position we are in now, I do firmly believe that us supporters can make the difference and we are needed there till the end no matter how much it hurts.
Every day is a Fulham day

VicHalomsLovechild

+1

Jim, really the only way you and others can make those who own, control and run the business understand that the product is faulty is withdraw or withhold your money.
Protests can be dealt with by any competent customer service dept.
Clubs are run as businesses. The occasions when small teams go on long cup runs, get to European finals and win leagues are few and far between. Money talks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

RaySmith

Quote from: westcliff white on May 05, 2016, 07:20:17 AM

I read most threads as a Mod and don't remember that but then probably only remember those that contain something that could turn to an argument.

I personally think the idea of a waving cards saying we want our Fulham back and chanting the same is quite funny, same as i laughed at the arsenal fans when they did it last weekend, I mean how many fans would gratefully accept finishing top 4 almost every year? Seriously only one team can win the league out of those that take part, anyway I digress for which I give apologies.

The leaving on 79 minutes, each to there own, the club already have your money from the season ticket or any other ticket purchased, any program or  merchandise purchased and of course from any food purchased, the only thing your hurting is the players and the result, the team need to be supported through thick and thin. We are in a thin period for sure but walking out for me is a moribund point. This is all about success and what we got used too, people never did this 30 years ago, our relative success, by Fulham standards, has bought this on in my opinion and it is for me a sad state of affairs. Don't misunderstand me I am not saying withdraw our support financially, I am renewing my two season tickets and we will go as often as we can, I was just pointing out chanting certain terms or walk outs will have very little effect and will be detrimental to the team overall.

I love the club as does my son, and we hurt with the position we are in now, I do firmly believe that us supporters can make the difference and we are needed there till the end no matter how much it hurts.
0001.jpeg

I  understand the OP's anger, but feel his proposed methods of protest aren't really an appropriate response to Fulham's malaise.

Yes it would be - if we were Blackpool under Oyston, or Pompey, or  Bolton, even Villa - fans of these clubs  must feel completely shafted, and that their beloved club has been stolen from  then by money -men, with no allegiance to the club or community at all, beyond financial exploitation.

But is this the case at Fulham? An owner who puts a lot of money into the club, and has  just spoken of  buying new players in the summer with a view to getting in the Prem; has appointed a new, young,  manager with a record of promotion in this division - after  previously appointing a fans' favourite, and who set up a committee to do this; and of investing in a new stadium, with firm plans seemingly being made.

So, while I agree that JIm  is right to be angry, and to want answers from Fulham, his methods don't really communicate his concerns to the club, but will effect the players on the pitch, who are blameless as far as i'm concerned. I think being involved with the  FST, and meeting with the club is a better method of communicating concerns and trying to get a response. But football fans are always kept in the dark, and do feel powerless, I agree, and mainly they only have the ultimate sanction of voting with their feet and wallets - and just not going to games.

I mean, this is Fulham - and I have seen so much failure and shambles both on and off the pitch over the years since the early 60's, and this recent period in the club's history has been probably a period of smoothest club operation ever, though, and certainly of the greatest success - until  the last couple of years,  but has the club lost some of its soul?

But Jim is entitled to his protest, but I'm not sure what he wants to achieve by it.

Apprentice to the Maestro

'Passion' is the empty word of the moment used by those who don't have a realistic grasp of the situation or what is needed to achieve their aims such as those who go on talent or cookery shows without any talent or the realisation that some careful planning and hard work may be necessary to make progress.

Jim

I can see why you are still an apprentice. We have a realistic grasp of the situation where as you are just burying your head in the sand for another year.

We want our Fulham back not amateurs and apprentices running our football team.

westcliff white

I don't have my head in the sand but still do not agree with what you say, as I said in my post earlier today.

But all please keep replies civil and don't throw insults around.

Thanks

Every day is a Fulham day