A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham biggest rival according to you?

Started by Fulhamfan666, April 22, 2017, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With Brentford our next game, which is the team that you personally dislike the most tho?

Brentford
7 (6%)
QPR
42 (35.9%)
Chelsea
45 (38.5%)
Arsenal
1 (0.9%)
Spurs
2 (1.7%)
Crystal Palace
2 (1.7%)
Gillingham
12 (10.3%)
Other? (answer below)
6 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: April 29, 2017, 08:18:05 PM

e4b

Since i started supporting the Mighty Whites a few years ago it's always been that lot at the rough end of the road.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Barrett487 on April 22, 2017, 11:03:28 PM
Local rivals must be Chelsea

Dislike Derby & Gillingham
Agree with Derby for '83.
Gillingham for Matthew Fox.
and as for rivals.. QPR who think that they are a big club sleeping!! More like a little club in a coma!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

toshes mate

Fulham's biggest rivals are always the team they are playing next in my book.  Never really got into the bragging rights afterwards because football is transient and it's the prospect of change that keeps you afloat when times are not good.  I dislike many things about football and the clubs and their supporters in the professional game but, like everything else, they too are transient and changeable depending on the good and bad things that happen.  Even the worse excuses of human beings can redeem themselves and have plenty of opportunities to do so; hating them is just a waste of energy, indifference is much more powerful.

Luka

Chelsea are our major rivals. QPR and Brentford are just irritations that would like to think they are our rivals.  As far as dislike then it Spurs for me.

General

I still remember when we got our first win against Chelsea in the Premiership when Luis Boa Morte scored and there was a pitch invasion...

You would never have got that reaction against any other team...

QPR is a rivalry which is more realistic to us as a club as more recently we've been in similar leagues, but their stadium, off field antics etc doesn't do much for me in seeing them as a real rival. It's nice, but I value Fulham as a stadium, history and club as better... especially in my life time.

Bassey the warrior

This year it's been Derby for me. They did their utmost to kill our season by unsettling Martin and took four points off us.

gezkc

I think rivalries and dislike/hatred are different things. I've voted for Chelsea as a team I dislike, but in terms of local rivalry, I'd say QPR are probably the ones I'd choose, just because of it usually being a closer battle (apart from the times when we've thrashed them!)

Burt

Hasn't rivalry got to be a two-way street?

Chelsea view us as a minor irritant relative to their rivalry with other larger London clubs.

So it has to be QPR, probably.

Twig

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 23, 2017, 10:51:06 AM
Chelscum have always been the bigger club and we have hardly ever been real rivals. But they are our closest club so some real rivalry on our part exists. QPR on the other hand have a history with Fulham Park Rangers and we seem to be playing them a fair bit since I have been a fan. Always disliked them more. As for Brentford, I really don't think we play them that often. They however consider us their local rivals and sadly are always up for a fight.

Not quite true.  Chelsea: Divn 2 1988/89, 79' - 84, 75 - 77, 62/ 63.  That's in the years I have been following The Whites.
Better than Fulham yes, but there have been times when we have stood a division above Chelsea and I certainly hope that happens again one day.

Twig

Quote from: Burt on April 23, 2017, 12:34:51 PM

Chelsea view us as a minor irritant relative to their rivalry with other larger London clubs.

Chelsea are the most local by a long way.  We have NOT always been in their shadow, see my post above.  As far as I am concerned rivalries with the likes of Brentford or QPR are just plastic, manufactured nonsense.

FFCFOREVER

It has to be Chelsea for me.The fact their ground has a SW6 postcode riles me even more.Get a ground in your own borough I say.

Skatzoffc

Most hated for me, (& prob still is), has to be Tranmere Rovers.

When I used to watch them play us in 2000/1, they were by far the dirtiest scumbag team I have ever seen.

That curly haired lout John Aldridge was in charge at the time.
Obviously taught on the training ground to cheat at every opportunity. Total anti football.
Still get angry today and cant say their name without swearing.

Ho hum

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

ffc73

Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2017, 12:47:27 PM
Chelscum have always been the bigger club and we have hardly ever been real rivals. But they are our closest club so some real rivalry on our part exists. QPR on the other hand have a history with Fulham Park Rangers and we seem to be playing them a fair bit since I have been a fan. Always disliked them more. As for Brentford, I really don't think we play them that often. They however consider us their local rivals and sadly are always up for a fight.

Not quite true.  Chelsea: Divn 2 1988/89, 79' - 84, 75 - 77, 62/ 63.  That's in the years I have been following The Whites.
Better than Fulham yes, but there have been times when we have stood a division above Chelsea and I certainly hope that happens again one day.

In my time as a supporter (73/74) I cannot recall us ever finishing a division above Chelsea.  The one time I remember us above them in the table at a seasons end was no celebration either.  82/83.  We blew promotion and they escaped relegation to the Third Division.

Even rained on our parade by winning the Europa.  They annoy and irritate me but I just do not consider them to be a rival as they have always trumped us and we never seem to get any closer to them.  I mean we are eternally grateful for Fayed coming in.  They then produce the Russian billionaire...

1 win against them in 13 Premiership years + the various League Cup and FA Cup defeats tells the story for me.

Burt

Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2017, 12:50:04 PM
Quote from: Burt on April 23, 2017, 12:34:51 PM

Chelsea are the most local by a long way.  We have NOT always been in their shadow, see my post above.  As far as I am concerned rivalries with the likes of Brentford or QPR are just plastic, manufactured nonsense.

I'm sorry but we don't come anywhere near that lot down the road. In terms of size, success, etc. with the odd exception here and there they have been and still are way ahead. 

There is also another reason why I don't really consider them as rivals and that is because where I went to school most of my mates supported them so one week I would be at the Cottage, the next week at the dog track.

Personally speaking the only team I have "hated" has been Derby, given the events at the Baseball Ground in May 1983.

gerrys

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 22, 2017, 08:40:08 PM
I don't see the big deal with Brentford but that could be my age. The last time we'd played them before the prem years I probably wasn't even 10. To me a realistic rivalry for us is a club we have something in common with, similar in goals, size and history.

Everton v Liverpool
Spurs v arsenal
Sunderland v Newcastle
Celtic v Rangers
Villa v Birmingham

So for me Chelsea probably laugh at us for hating them and see us as a little brother. Likewise I find it funny Brentford put so much into a rivalry that isn't really that realistic anymore or wasn't until 3 years ago. It's gotta be QPR for local rival even though they are a smaller club, it's still the most realistic one for me.

For non local rivalries it's got to be Gillingham. And it's probably them that are most hated by Fulham because hate is a strong word after all.

Must admit Brentford are becoming irritating so I hope they don't burst our bubble next week. Fingers Crossed!

Remember that Chelsea were a second division side and were nicknamed "The Pensioners" after the ex-soldiers up the road. Furthermore they were invented after Mears built the stadium at Stamford Bridge and Fulham turned it down, so he had to create a new team and couldn't call it Fulham.

Twig

Quote from: FFC73 on April 23, 2017, 02:08:35 PM
Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

In my time as a supporter (73/74) I cannot recall us ever finishing a division above Chelsea.  The one time I remember us above them in the table at a seasons end was no celebration either.  82/83.  We blew promotion and they escaped relegation to the Third Division.

Even rained on our parade by winning the Europa.  They annoy and irritate me but I just do not consider them to be a rival as they have always trumped us and we never seem to get any closer to them.  I mean we are eternally grateful for Fayed coming in.  They then produce the Russian billionaire...

1 win against them in 13 Premiership years + the various League Cup and FA Cup defeats tells the story for me.

So let me help you: 62/63 FFC divn 1 Chelsea divn 2, 63 to 68 we were both divn 1, then we did slip below them, 75 to 77 we were both divn 2, then they got ahead of us, 79 to 84 we were both divn 2, then they got away from us until 2001 when we returned to the prem 2001 to 14 both teams in the prem.
I didn't disagree that they are a bigger club just corrected your statement that we have hardly ever been rivals.

YankeeJim

Quote from: General on April 23, 2017, 11:56:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcqStB5P1tA

This reminded me as to why I hate Chelsea and why that hate transfers to any team that "the special one" manages. He is the only piece of crap worse than 'airy in English football. 'airy is just a crook. Jose is an arrogant crook.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

AlexW132

Brentford absolutely despise us and because we got relegated and they got promoted in the same season, they've all come crawling out of the woodwork and thinking they're the dog's b*llcks. They're a small club, who have managed to get themselves into the 2nd tier, much like Burton, they belong in League one. To give you an idea of how pathetic they are, they have a banner with 'Jota in the last minute' on it to 'commemorate' Jota scoring against us in a standard league game. () One reason I hope we get promoted is that we won't have do deal with their lot again.

Woolly Mammoth

Historically Chelsea are our rivals, but they do not see it that way, they probably look upon us as an itch they cannot scratch. As we have not been a real threat of any kind since the 70s. When I think it was John Mitchell, Chris Guthrie and either Teddy Maybank or George Best scored against them in a 3 1 Fulham Victory, on an Easter Good Friday, Ray Wilkins scored for them. Since then I think we have beaten them only once, but I will stand corrected if that is not the case.
I think QPR in their hearts know their place. But as for Brentford, only they know why they have this resentment, which will only achieve bitterness and the fact that they beat themselves up over it. That's their Funeral, and Fulham on Saturday will be driving their Hearse to the Cementary after they have been buried under an avalanche of goals.
Just like delivering the Coup De Grace.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.