watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 22, 2017, 07:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who is Man United and Arsenal target Matt O'Riley? Fulham 16-year-old is latest Motspur Park wonderkid

The teenager made his debut for Fulham in their 2-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers in the Carabao Cup

Matt O'Riley is Fulham's latest academy graduate turning heads (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Matt O'Riley is the latest young talent to emerge from Fulham following in the footsteps of Ryan Sessegnon and Dennis Adeniran - who recently secured a move to Everton - and the latest to attract Premier League attention.

O'Riley, who joined Fulham at Under-9 level, has steadily progressed through the ranks in south-west London. Last season he played for the Under-18s before becoming the club's youngster goalscorer at Under-23s level.

This season he has broken into the first team for Carabao Cup action, and starred in Fulham's 2-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers.

The 16-year-old midfielder joined Fulham at Under-9 level (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

The 16-year-old has recently caught the attention of both Arsenal and Manchester United, who appear keen to secure the youngster's signature before his reputation grows, and with it, his transfer fee.

Here's everything you need to know about the starlet.

Where is he from?
Born in Hounslow, O'Riley represented NPL Youth in Teddington prior to joining Fulham. The teenager is an English youth international, but is also eligible to play for both Norway and Denmark.

What position does he play?
O'Riley is a creative central midfielder player, but has the capability of operating in a number of positions. He's calm and comfortable on the ball and commanding in the middle of the park.

O'Riley was born in England but is eligible to play for both Norway and Denmark (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

He's capable of pulling strings by spraying the ball out wide, but is also partial to pushing forward and going for glory.

How good is he?
The important thing to remember is O'Riley is only 16 years old, and very much a work in progress. But you don't attract the attention of the Premier League elite if you're not talented.

What's immediately noticeable when watching O'Riley in action is his presence. He's tall, commanding and, as aforesaid, comfortable on the ball.

The teenager has caught the eye of the Premier League elite (Image: Getty Images Europe)

At youth level he showed he is capable of controlling a game from the middle of the park, slowing the tempo, picking out teammates with long, accurate passes, and initiating attacking play.

His eye for a pass is arguably his best attribute - highlighting his maturity and intelligence - but he can also beat a player if need be, and, as also previously mentioned, push forward and score a goal.

What's been said about him?
Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic hailed the youngster after his appearances in the Carabao Cup, and tipped him to play an important role at Fulham in the future.

"This player is in the process - he's very talented player and he makes his job good enough for his age," Jokanovic told Get West London.

"In general, the games were one of the first challenges for him in senior football, he played good against Wycombe and he moved and try to offer the quality against Bristol too.

"It's early and his first steps, but I used a lot of young players in these games and what I said before, they're in the process of learning and I expect he can be an important player for our club in the future."

O'Riley has represented England through the age groups (Image: Getty Images Europe)

While academy director Huw Jennings, one of the men responsible for Fulham's influx of youth talent, told the club's official website: "Matt is a very talented midfielder who has been with us since Under-9.

"He has excellent creativity, is a terrific passer and makes intelligent decisions. It was excellent to see him make his debut in the Carabao Cup game against Wycombe. He showed maturity beyond his years and will have benefited greatly from the experience."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/matt-oriley-man-united-arsenal-11211756

WhiteJC

'The whole emphasis at Middlesbrough has changed, they've sent out a statement to the Championship'

Bernie Slaven praises 'raw and enthusiastic' Marvin Johnson :: He also has his say on Patrick Bamford and the striker's battle for a starting spot

As much as I'm a Patrick Bamford fan, I want to see the same Middlesbrough starting line-up at Fulham that took to the field against QPR.

Certainly in the attacking areas anyway. If there's going to be changes at Craven Cottage they're most likely to be in defence after a shaky Boro showing at the back against Ian Holloway's side.

But we'll come to that in a bit.

One of the first names on the team sheet at Craven Cottage for me should be Marvin Johnson.

What a performance from the boy last week.

Two assists, pace, trickery. Johnson is raw, enthusiastic.

He's also fearless and unfazed, and he's an unknown quantity at this level which gives him an element of surprise.

Bigger tests are to come when the season unfolds as other teams get a read on him and learn his traits.

But you've only got to really concern yourself with your direct opponent as a forward, especially when you're a winger.

Win that battle and you can help your side win the war.

Boro sent out a statement to the rest of the Championship against QPR that they can come through adversity.

To come back from one goal down - great. Two - fantastic.

Aitor Karanka's Boro side wouldn't have been able to do that in a million years.

But the whole emphasis has changed at Boro and they look like they've got goals galore in them.

People were coming away from the Riverside after the QPR game feeling royally entertained. Mistakes, sitters, drama, excitement. You name it, it had the lot.

Neither manager would have been overjoyed with the defending, but Boro got the job done and it was one of those games that neutrals would have loved.

Full credit to Bamford for getting his first Boro goals of the season against Villa in the cup for a much-changed side which showed that the squad has genuine strength in depth.

He will be champing at the bit to stay in the side at Craven Cottage, but at the same time he will be realistic.

In the past if you were left out, you were dropped. Nowadays it's tactical and you've been rested.

The modern mindset is that it doesn't matter if you score three or four, there's always a chance you are going to be left out of the next game.

I was having this conversation with Jim Platt. In our day if you played well you would stay in the side.

Players on the bench couldn't complain because they knew you were in there on merit.

But nowadays you can't really read too much into individual displays.

Players who perform get left out of sides and players who don't stay in - that was certainly the case with the previous Boro manager.

Guaranteed team places can be few and far between now but it's great for Bamford to get off the mark.

If you're feeling any sense of frustration, the best way to ease it is to take it out on the opposition.

Bamford's shown he's still hungry and has got an appetite to force his way back into the side, which is great for competition and keeping everybody on their toes.

Now he needs to open his account in the league, but he's had a bit of a strange start to the campaign.

To be brutally honest, I couldn't see why he was dropped because he had played well when he started.

But I only get to see him on a Saturday and Tuesday and the manager obviously sees him on a daily basis.

I'm old school and think that players should be given a run of games if they're on form.

I've even said to managers in the past - Lennie Lawrence and Colin Todd being two of them - that they were only dropping me in favour of players who they'd signed to justify the money that they had spent on them.

But Bamford will know how it works now. There are no guarantees that he will start on Saturday at Fulham, and Britt Assombalonga is on fire.

Bamford will know in his heart of hearts that he has given his best and that's all he can do.

Stay sharp and ready and take your opportunity when it comes and he did that, and he's got to keep doing that.

Maybe it's inevitable now that the Boro defence will make the odd mistake.

The whole tactical set-up has shifted, whereas before it was one big defensive shield and the mantra was not to concede at all costs.

Darren Randolph has got to learn from his mistake against QPR which led to their second goal because it was his fault, as far as I'm concerned.

The keeper is the last line of defence and he sees the whole pitch and the big picture.

Ben Gibson had his back to the defender.

Randolph has got to make sure that the ball doesn't go past him - end of.

Could Garry Monk bring back George Friend against Fulham?

George and Fabio are much of a muchness for me. Attack-minded and energetic, but defensively flawed.

Boro look like they are going to be a handful for anybody in the final third though and they should only improve the more the players get to know each others' games.

If they concede a goal, we've all seen that they have got the firepower to come roaring back.

I scored my 200th career goal for Darlington against Fulham, but I'm struggling to recall much about playing for Boro at Craven Cottage if I'm being honest.

Fulham's former Boro loan man Tomas Kalas didn't leave much of an impression on me when he was here either.

But I'm fully expecting Boro to return from the capital with maximum gains after beating a Fulham side who are yet to get going this season.

Boro broke their year-long away win drought at Bolton, now they've got to win on their travels on a regular basis.

*The Reds Academy that a few of us ex-Middlesbrough players are part of continues to hold regular coaching sessions for Under-16s.

We're located at Middlesbrough Sports Village and in Billingham and Ingleby Barwick.

You can contact us for more details on 07490 736988.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/the-whole-emphasis-middlesbrough-changed-13649935

WhiteJC

Can Fulham keep hold of Manchester United and Arsenal target?

Whites young gun O'Riley is a man in demand

Can Fulham hold on to Matt O'Riley? That will be the question on the lips of Whites fans this week.

The highly-rated midfielder has been linked with moves to both Arsenal and Manchester United, having broken into the Fulham first team this season at the age of 16.

Having stepped up from the U23s side to make his full debut in the Carabao Cup win at Wycombe, O'Riley also played in the next round against Bristol Rovers, having in between also featured against Portsmouth in the Checkatrade Trophy.

He has also been called up to the England U17 squad for their September friendlies against Brazil and South Africa ahead of next month's World Cup, despite also being eligible for Norway and Denmark.

Young lion: O'Riley in action for his country (Image: Aurelien Meunier/Getty Images)

Fulham will naturally want to keep hold of a player they rate very highly, but fans will point to the sale of another young prospect, Dennis Adeniran, to Everton on transfer deadline day.

At the same time, the club have managed to hold at bay any suitors for the likes of Ryan Sessegnon and Tayo Edun, so they have also showed they can keep hold of their hot properties.

Earlier this month, Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic said of O'Riley: "This player is in the process - he's very talented player and he makes his job good enough for his age.

"In general, the games were one of the first challenges for him in senior football. He played good against Wycombe and he moved and try to offer the quality against Bristol too.

"It's early and his first steps, but I used a lot of young players in these games and what I said before, they're in the process of learning, and I expect he can be an important player for our club in the future."

Born down the M4 in Hounslow, O'Riley, who played for NPL Teddington as a youngster, is seen as a creative midfielder at his best playing in the centre of the park, with a coolness on the ball and an ability to run the game – showing great maturity for his age.

Fulham academy director Huw Jennings said of him: "Matt is a very talented midfielder who has been with us since U9s. He has excellent creativity, is a terrific passer and makes intelligent decisions.

"It was excellent to see him make his debut in the Carabao Cup game against Wycombe. He showed maturity beyond his years and will have benefited greatly from the experience."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/can-fulham-keep-hold-manchester-13652292

WhiteJC

Fulham and Norwich City target - what do we know about Jordan Jones?

Everything you need to know about the Kilmarnock player

Fulham have this week been linked with a move for Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones – but what do we know about him?

Reports in Scotland suggest Slavisa Jokanovic's men are locked in a battle with Championship rivals Norwich to secure the 22 year old's signature in January.

Here's everything Fulham fans need to know about a player that could well light up the second half of their season.

Target? Jones in action for Kilmarnock

Hometown boy
Born in Middlesbrough, Jones came through the ranks at his hometown club but was restricted to just one first team appearance for Boro – in the FA Cup against non-league Hastings United. He was released a year ago, having spent three years with the club.

Loan ranger
He had two loan spells in the English lower divisions during his time at Boro, playing 11 games for Boro's north-east neighbours Hartlepool United towards the end of the 2014-15 season, and joining Cambridge United early in the following campaign but managing just one appearance for the Us.

International experience
Jones was a full international for Northern Ireland's U19s, despite having been born in England, playing a number of times for them before turning down the chance to step up to the U21s, hoping to instead break into the England set up - something he has since regretted.

Second chance
Despite turning his back on the Irish, there was redemption for Jones earlier this year when he was invited to a training session for the full Northern Ireland team, before their friendly against New Zealand and World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan in June.

Scottish success story
Despite failing to set the world alight in England, Jones has been a huge success north of the border, earning rave reviews while playing for Kilmarnock. He has played 53 times so far for the Scottish Premiership side, scoring four goals.

Nightclub brawl
Jones was given a four-month custodial sentence suspended for two years, with 120 hours' unpaid work, and ordered to pay £1,000 compensation with £1,800 costs, following a brawl outside a nightclub in Redcar four years ago.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-norwich-city-target-what-13652948

WhiteJC

Fonte in, £4m-rated man dropped: The Fulham XI Jokanovic needs to field against Boro on Saturday

In what was a dismal performance, Fulham fell to Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium in their last fixture, and boss Slavisa Jokanovic will be keen to bounce back from the defeat with three points against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Cottagers shock loss in Staffordshire will have come as a blow to the Serbian boss, whose side have picked up just two wins from their opening eight encounters.

Victory over the visitors will not be easy, with a star-studded Middlesbrough side beginning to flex their muscles in the division.

The Teessiders enter the game on the back of a professional performance in a 2-0 Carabao Cup win at Aston Villa, and striker Britt Assombalonga is beginning to settle into his new surroundings at the Riverside Stadium.

Five goals in the league so far makes the former Forest man a real threat, and Fulham's back-line must be resolute if they are to hold the big man out.

The hosts need a win, and this is the starting XI Jokanovic should consider sending out this weekend...

David Button retains his place in goal behind the back-line that started the defeat at Burton, with Ryan Fredericks and Ryan Sessegnon flanking Tomas Kalas and Tim Ream in the middle.

Against Boro's midfield, which will be packed, Fulham will need some extra help, so Oliver Norwood must be deployed in a holding role to shield the back four from the likes of Lewis Baker, who likes to occupy the space between midfield and defence.

In front of him Jokanovic has to continue with Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald in the absence of Tom Cairney, who remains sidelined with a persistent knee injury.

The fit again Rui Fonte should come in for the £4 million rated Neeskens Kebano, with Sheyi Ojo and Floyd Ayite making up the rest of the attack at Craven Cottage.

Fulham have a strong side, and simply had a bad day at the office against Burton Albion.

Wholesale changes are not needed ahead of Saturday's game, and Jokanovic would struggle to make them anyway, with the squad as a whole in west London looking considerably weaker from the team that clinched playoff football last term.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fonte-in-4m-rated-man-dropped-the-fulham-xi-jokanovic-needs-to-field-against-boro-on-saturday/

WhiteJC

QPR striker 'frustrated' at lack of opportunities but is keen to impress as former Leeds and Fulham star prepares for Burton Albion test

Despite being the Hoops' joint-top goal-scorer, Smith has found a place in the starting XI hard to come by due to what Conor Washington and Jamie Mackie bring to the team.

QPR striker Matt Smith says It's been a 'frustrating' start to the season after dropping down the pecking order at Loftus Road.

Despite being the Hoops' joint-top goal-scorer, the former Leeds United and Fulham front-man has found a place in the starting XI hard to come by due to what Conor Washington and Jamie Mackie bring to the team.

Smith, however, is remaining upbeat.

Speaking to Get West London, he said: "It's frustrating because all strikers want to be playing but I'm sure I'll be given plenty more opportunities as the season progresses to stake my claim for the number one spot.

"Conor and Jamie have done really well starting together and certainly set the tempo for the team, so it's up to me to take these opportunities when I'm given them."

Ian Holloway has made it clear that Mackie and Washington are his preferred front two, but Smith says that he knows the manager still has faith in him to do a job.

He said: "I just need to keep going really. Obviously the thing we have to factor in is that Conor , Jamie, (Idrissa) Sylla and I all bring different skill-sets to the team.

"My skill-set is very different to the other three so it's a case of what that brings to the team as a whole. I can only do it when called upon, and I know the manager has belief in me, so as and when required I can hopefully make it a more regular occurance."

On current form, many would argue that the 28-year-old is deserving of a starting spot, but Smith says there is still plenty of time to stake his claim.

He said: "Three goals in two starts is pleasing. For me the season is just getting going. Once the season starts the games come thick and fast through October, November and December and then once the league starts to take shape you can make more of an assessment on how things are going."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-striker-frustrated-lack-opportunities-13653657

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough boss Garry Monk to remain patient over Martin Braithwaite ahead of Fulham trip

The Boro boss has no fresh injury concerns ahead of Saturday's game at Craven Cottage - and was asked if the Dane would be involved

Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk is unlikely to risk Martin Braithwaite at Fulham on Saturday - despite the attacker's return to the first-team picture.

The summer signing has been sidelined for the last seven weeks with a hamstring injury, but returned to full training on Monday as he closes in on a Boro return.

Braithwaite started the Championship opener at Wolves on August 5, but has not been seen since - a bitter blow for the Denmark international who was hoping to hit the ground running on Teesside.

But despite the 26-year-old returning to the first-team fold at Rockliffe Park, Monk says he is unlikely to feature in Saturday's game at Fulham as he continues to get back up to full speed.

Boro may see a fully-fit Braithwaite after the next international stoppage, but the former Toulouse captain will be hoping to play some part in next week's Riverside double-header against Norwich and Brentford.

As for his other options, Monk will again be without winger Adama Traore at Craven Cottage - who serves the final game of his three-match suspension.

But Adam Clayton returns after his one-game ban, while Ryan Shotton and Marvin Johnson are expected to return to the squad after they were cup-tied for Tuesday's Carabao Cup victory over Aston Villa.

Boro are likely to come up against a few familiar faces in west London this weekend, with former loan pair Ryan Fredericks and Tomas Kalas both regulars in the Cottagers' XI.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-boss-garry-monk-remain-13653973

WhiteJC

MIDDLESBROUGH: Martin Braithwaite ruled OUT of Boro's trip to Fulham

MARTIN BRAITHWAITE has stepped up his training this week, but will not be available for Middlesbrough's trip to Fulham at the weekend.

Braithwaite has been sidelined since damaging his hamstring in the opening week of the season, and has not been involved since the opening-day defeat to Wolves.

He has trained with the first-team squad this week, but with Boro boss Garry Monk reluctant to do anything that might jeopardise his chances of a long-term recovery, will not be part of the squad at Craven Cottage.

Boro will also be without striker Rudy Gestede, who is continuing to recover from leg surgery following a training-ground collision.

Monk said: "It's the same group as we've been having. Martin Braithwaite is back in training, it's just about building him up now and getting some fitness into him from the football perspective. The weekend game will probably be too soon, but we're looking into next week (to get him back).

"Rudy is a difficult one to assess because it's a case of how the wound heals. He's doing well though, and we're hoping its sooner rather than later."

Boro head to Fulham on Saturday looking to extend their unbeaten run to six games in the wake of Tuesday's Carabao Cup third-round win over Aston Villa.

The fourth round draw has handed the Teessiders a trip to Bournemouth, and while Monk is reluctant to look too far into the future, he is not fazed by the prospect of having to travel to the opposite end of the country.

He said: "It's just down the road! It's another away trip, but we'll deal with that when it comes. It'll make it three away games in a week, so it'll be a difficult period for us, but we'll have time to prepare.

"We want to go into each game and try to win it, and the cup game on Tuesday was important to us. We won it with a good display."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/15549880.MIDDLESBROUGH__Martin_Braithwaite_ruled_OUT_of_Boro_s_trip_to_Fulham/

WhiteJC

Store Closure

The Stadium Store will be closing after Saturday's fixture against Middlesbrough as the Club prepare to create a new store in readiness for the Preston North End game in October.

A temporary location will be created in the Cottage Café. The hours will be: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm and Sundays 11-4pm.

There will be a selection of home and away kits along with hats, caps, scarves and other top selling gifts and souvenirs.

Shirt printing will also be available and the full range is still available online.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/21/store-closure

WhiteJC

Whatever happened to this Fulham record breaker?

All but forgotten by many football fans, but he still holds a Premier League record

The question was asked on social media this week, via a Twitter poll, who the youngest player ever to play in the Premier League is.

Just over a quarter of those who responded were able to identify former Fulham left back Matthew Briggs as the man in question, having made his debut at 16 years and 65 days when he replaced Moritz Voltz in a 3-1 defeat at Middlesbrough in May 2007.

A far higher percentage of those who voted thought the honour was held by Everton's Jose Baxter. To be fair, he does hold the record for the youngest ever starter, having been thrown in at the deep end against West Brom in August 2008.

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 21: Matthew Briggs of Fulham runs with the ball during the UEFA Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round 2nd Leg match between Fulham and Crusaders at Craven Cottage on July 21, 2011 in London, England. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)

This was a week after he made his debut as a sub against Blackburn at the age of 16 years and 191 days, but by this time Briggs was already the record holder, having taken the crown off Aaron Lennon.

Former England winger Lennon was 16 years and 129 days old when he came off the bench for Leeds in a 2-1 defeat at Spurs in August 2003. He held the record for four years, and 25 per cent of people who voted in the poll thought he still did.

The final player in the poll, taking 16 per cent of the vote, was Chelsea starlet Izzy Brown, who has never in fact held the record, but remains second in the list behind Briggs, having been 16 years and 117 days when he made his debut as a sub for West Brom in their 3-2 defeat to Wigan in May 2013.

It seems strange, therefore, that Briggs has held this particular record for more than a decade now, but doesn't seem to be particularly memorable for it.

Perhaps it's because, unlike the other three, his career has slipped right off the radar. Lennon was never far from the spotlight, having made more than 300 Premier League appearances as well as playing for England. Baxter is now back in the top flight with Everton having spent five years away forging a career with Oldham and Sheffield United, and while Brown appears no closer to adding to his solitary Chelsea appearance, he has impressed in loan spells at Huddersfield and Rotherham.

But what became of Briggs in the meantime? Injuries hampered his progress under Mark Hughes, and despite Martin Jol earmarking him as a first team regular under his watch, Briggs managed just 29 appearances over the seven years after his debut before being released.

Only 13 of these came in the Premier League – and many of them came in Fulham's Europa League campaign of 2011-12.

There were loan spells with Leyton Orient, Peterborough United, Bristol City and Watford, but it was fellow London club Millwall who snapped Briggs up when he was one of eight players let go following Fulham's relegation from the top flight.

A crazy debut for the Lions saw him both score the winner and later be sent off as Millwall knocked Wycombe out of the Capital One Cup, but after just 12 appearances for his new club, he went out on loan to Colchester the following January.

After his release from Millwall, the move became a permanent one the following summer, and Briggs looked to finally have somewhere to call home, making 65 appearances over two years with the Essex club.

But he was again released this summer and, at the age of 26, was signed by Chesterfield, for whom he has made three appearance this season. Sadly, the Spirites haven't won any of them and remain second bottom of the entire Football League.

As an aside, Briggs played for every England age group from U16 through to U21 but switched his allegiances to Guyana two years ago, making his debut for them in a 2-0 win over Grenada in March 2015 – his only appearance so far for the South American country.

OTHER PREMIER LEAGUE YOUNG GUNS:

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (Aston Villa) 16 years 176 days – 2015

Gary McSheffrey (Coventry City) 16 years 198 days – 1999

Reece Oxford (West Ham) 16 years 235 days – 2015

Jack Robinson (Liverpool) 16 years 250 days – 2014

Jack Wilshere (Arsenal) 16 years 256 days – 2008

Angel Gomes (Man United) 16 years 263 days – 2017

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/whatever-happened-fulham-record-breaker-13654777

WhiteJC

Two Middlesbrough men Fulham need not worry about

Strike duo ruled our for Boro, but Monk's men still have plenty of firepower

Fulham's defenders won't be having any nightmares about facing Middlesbrough strikers Martin Braithwaite or Rudy Gestede in the coming days.

The Boro due have both been ruled out of their trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday, Braithwaite having been sidelined since damaging his hamstring in the opening week of the season, while Gestede continues to recover from leg surgery.

Danish international Braithwaite has managed just one game for Boro since signing from Toulouse in the summer, but Gestede is well known on these shores having scored more than 50 goals for Cardiff, Blackburn, Aston Villa and now Boro.

"Martin Braithwaite is back in training, it's just about building him up now and getting some fitness into him from the football perspective," said Boro boss Garry Monk.

"The weekend game will probably be too soon, but we're looking into next week (to get him back).

"Rudy is a difficult one to assess because it's a case of how the wound heals. He's doing well though, and we're hoping its sooner rather than later."

Boro have plenty more firepower for Fulham to worry about, however, including former Chelsea starlet Patrick Bamford, who bagged a brace in their midweek Carabao Cup win over Aston Villa.

Despite not scoring, Marvin Johnson was in red hot form in Boro's win last weekend over Fulham's West London rivals, QPR, while Ashley Fletcher has also been in good form and Britt Assombalonga has five goals so far.

Fulham are 13-10 to win with most bookies, while Boro are 2-1 on with many, and a draw also seems to be popular at 12-5.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/two-middlesbrough-men-fulham-need-13655199

WhiteJC

Fulham v Middlesbrough - Match Officials

After the loss last weekend, away to Burton Albion, Fulham welcome Middlesbrough to Craven Cottage this Saturday.

Slavisa Jokanovic will be hoping that he can guide his side back to winning ways thereby earning the three points that will lift Fulham up the Championship table and do something to revive our flagging promotion aspirations.

Ahead of the fixture we now have the names of the officials who will in charge of this fixture:

Referee - Oliver Langford

Assistant Referee - Robert Merchant

Assistant Referee - Steven Meredith

Fourth Official - Trevor Kettle

With regards to the referee, Oliver Langford, he has taken charge of 11 games this season and issued 28 yellow cards and 0 red cards.

Last season, he took charge of the following Fulham fixtures:

• Championship - 3rd Dec - Fulham 5 Reading 0 - Yellow Cards 5, Red Cards 1
• Championship - 26 Dec - Ipswich 0 Fulham 2 - Yellow Cards 3, Red Cards 0

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=505714#ixzz4tOGIOP4R

WhiteJC

EFL clubs in favour of summer transfer window closing before start of season with QPR, Fulham and Brentford among the clubs to vote in February

The move comes after a vote from the Premier League clubs to change the date of the end of the transfer window from the end of August, to before the start of the new season, with the majority of the top-flight's clubs voting in favour.

Club in the EFL are in favour of plans to close the summer transfer window before the start of the new season, according to Sky Sports.

The move comes after a vote from the Premier League clubs to change the date of the end of the transfer window from the end of August, to before the start of the new season, with the majority of the top-flight's clubs voting in favour.

It's proved a popular decision, and one which clubs in the EFL seem to be in favour of despite being under no obligation to replicate the agreement.

Although the change has been responded to with favour, the formal vote on the change won't take place until February, when all 92 clubs in the EFL will get to have their say on the plans.

It's also thought that clubs in the EFL want to remain able to sign players on loan deals until August 31st.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-clubs-favour-summer-transfer-13656536

WhiteJC

Arsenal and Man City interested in Fulham 's teen sensation Matt O'Riley

Arsenal and Manchester City are reportedly keeping tabs on 16-year-old Fulham midfielder, Matt O'Riley.

O'Riley, who's broken into Fulham's first team this season, has caught the eye of Arsenal and City, claims the Mirror.

After making 19 appearances for the Cottagers' youth teams last term, the 16-year-old central midfielder has now managed to make his mark in the first team, which is reportedly how he's been noticed by some of the Premier League's top clubs.

Breaking into Slaviša Jokanović's senior squad is a big deal at such a young age and if he's truly attracting attention from Premier League clubs, he must be an exciting prospect.

His manager certainly thinks so.

"This player is in the process – he's very talented player and he makes his job good enough for his age," Jokanović told Get West London.

"In general, the games were one of the first challenges for him in senior football, he played good against Wycombe and he moved and try to offer the quality against Bristol too.

"It's early and his first steps, but I used a lot of young players in these games and what I said before, they're in the process of learning and I expect he can be an important player for our club in the future."

Since he is only 16, there's bound to be significant room for improvement. However, if Arsenal are genuinely interested, I highly doubt they're looking to bring him into the Gunners' first team...

The Englishman played 171 minutes for Fulham in the League Cup during his side's 2-0 win over Wycombe and 1-0 loss to Bristol City.

He played an entire 120 minutes against Portsmouth in the Checkatrade Trophy, which Fulham won 7-5 on penalties.

The creative teenager was also on the bench for the Championship club's 1-1 draw against Cardiff.

O'Riley played for NPL Youth in Teddington before joining Fulham and while he's an England youth international, he's also eligible to play for both Norway and Denmark.

Manchester United have also been linked.

http://dailycannon.com/2017/09/arsenal-and-man-city-interested-in-fulham-s-teen-sensation-matt-oriley/

WhiteJC

Fantastic offer for Fulham

Supporters can take advantage of a discounted ticket offer and watch Nottingham Forest in action against Fulham for just £20.

Mark Warburton's side take on The Cottagers on Tuesday 26 September (kick-off 7.45pm) in the second game a part of the Super September ticket offer.

Tickets are available for just £20 for adults and a full list of prices is as follows (matchday price in brackets):

General sale

Adults - £20 (£22)
Seniors - £14 (£16)
Under 18s - £12 (£12)
Under 12s - £6 (£6)

Family Area

Adults - £15 (£17)
Seniors - £10 (£12)
Under 18s - £10 (£10)
Under 12s - £5 (£5)

To book your seats for the game, please visit tickets.nottinghamforest.co.uk, call the ticket office on 0115 982 4388 or visit in-person.

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2017/september/fantastic-offer-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Kalas: Consistency Needed

Tomas Kalas knows Fulham need to start putting winning runs together if they're to launch a successful assault on the Championship this season.

The Whites have only won twice in the league so far, and the Czech defender is keen to add some consistency to avoid any feelings of regret at the end of the campaign.

"We need to start winning more than just one game in a row," Kalas told fulhamfc.com. "The sooner we start doing that, the better for us.

"Then at the end of the season hopefully we won't be looking back in hindsight thinking, 'if we'd won this game or that game then things would be completely different.'

"So it will be for the best if we can begin stringing wins together as soon as possible, so let's start on Saturday."

The weekend's game sees one of the division's biggest spenders Middlesbrough make the long journey south.

Kalas spent a successful 18 months on Teeside on loan from Chelsea, and he's well aware of the quality in their ranks.

"They are always strong," he admitted. "They were strong two years ago.

"They always know what they're doing, they've always got good players, and they're always going to be favourites to be promoted. I would agree that they've got one of the strongest squads in the league."

Fulham go into the game on the back of a defeat at Burton Albion last time out, one that Kalas knows was unacceptable.

"It was a disappointing result, not only for us but for the fans and for everyone," he stated. "It was kind of embarrassing because, with all respect to Burton, that's not a game we should be losing.

"We didn't get three points against one of the sides who people thought might struggle this season, so now we have to go and do it in a fixture that is probably more difficult."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/21/tomas-kalas-consistency-needed

WhiteJC

Club Statement on the Management Team

The Board of Chesham United Football club is reluctant to announce the departure of Danny Talbot as Joint Manager of the club, however would like to go on record as wishing Danny all the very best at this exciting time in his career as he takes up the offer of Senior/European Scout for Championship side Fulham.

Sharing the news, Danny explained, "Its with an extremely heavy heart that I am leaving this great club. When I got the opportunity to be Chesham United manager I was very proud and looking forward to the challenge ahead in my new career. I have put absolutely everything into the job along with Jon Meakes since getting the opportunity and it definitely has not been a matter of managing a group of players into the new season. We have managed to put together a whole new squad with every player being a debutant in the pleasing 3-0 win at Biggleswade.

"As for the reason of my departure; I have taken a new full time job which I felt I couldn't turn down. It wasn't without a lot of thought and discussion with my wife and family as it is going to change my day to day life and my personal business that I put in place.

"I am going to be working for Fulham FC as a Senior/European Scout for the 1st team, my passion is football and this is something that I will regret if I do not give it my very best shot to succeed. I have built a great relationship with many people at the club and a much closer one with the chairman, Brian McCarthy in recent months, he has kindly said that if I can stay involved at any point with training etc then I am welcome. I'm extremely grateful for that and hope to take up that offer whenever I can.

"I wish the club every success this season in what is an exciting new era, I wish Jon well and also my apologies for leaving him! We will stay in close contact and I hope to be a part of it whenever I can. Thanks for all your support."

Jon Meakes, now about to be joined by his third different partner in the dugout also shared his thoughts: "Following Daniel's announcement I would like to go on record and thank him for his support since joining up with me. He has work extremely hard throughout the close season in putting the squad together & planning pre-season.

"He only knew for definite that he had been offered the job a few weeks ago and that is when he told the Chairman and I. It did come as a shock to both of us, as we were both looking forward to the challenge of the new season. As I said to Daniel, it's a job you would regret not taking and I would have made the same decision. Daniel and I are mates and when he has settled into his job, we will know more on whether he will be able to offer his services with the odd training session or watching a game/player for me. You never know he might find a gem on his travels for Chesham - Though I'm not sure the Chairman could afford the players Daniel is watching!!

"Now that the news of Daniel's departure is out, I can announce that John Lawford will be my new Assistant Manager and I will also be bringing in a new coach, which I should be able to announce next week. John is no stranger to Chesham as he ran our U18's team and was known as a Chesham Legend on the pitch over the years as a goal scorer, so he will be looking after our strikers and improving our goal ratio from the last two years.

"That just leaves me to wish Daniel all the best in his new job."

Chairman Brian McCarthy added, "It is with mixed feelings that we have to have a management change so early in the season. Naturally we are disappointed to lose Danny, but equally are very proud that he has gone on to be offered such a prestigious job at one of the country's top clubs and would certainly not want to stand in the way of such progress. I am confident that this is not the last we will see of Danny, I hope he will be back to help out at some training sessions, possibly some additional scouting on behalf of the club or at the very least returning to enjoy the hospitality on a matchday.

"Myself and the fellow Directors wish Danny all the very best in his exciting new role, and we thank him for the work he has done with Jon to build a completely new squad that is already looking like an excellent team here at The Meadow. I have no doubt that Jon will continue this good work and we are delighted to welcome Chesham legend John Lawford to the First XI coaching staff. If Biggleswade on Saturday is anything to go by, we have an exciting season ahead and everyone at the club appreciates your support."

http://www.cheshamunited.co.uk/news/club-statement-150817

WhiteJC

Micky Adams on the stresses of being a modern-day football boss: If you like sleep and love your family do not be a football manager

Micky Adams has managed an array of clubs in the English Football League
    Adams hasn't been in charge of a side since he left Sligo Rovers in late 2015
    He is a former boss who understands the stresses of football management
    The 55-year-old advises young coaches to be as well educated as they can

When the Welsh FA wanted someone to deliver a talk on crisis management to their aspiring young coaches they booked Micky Adams.

Adams can recognise a crisis. Fulham were 91st in the Football League when he took control. Brighton were homeless and broke. Leicester were in receivership.

He took them all up. But his crisis talk was about La Manga, 13 years ago, when nine of his Leicester players were arrested and three charged with rape, the beginning of the end for him as a Premier League boss.

Micky Adams knows what it is like to be a football manager under stress and pressure

Adams can recognise a crisis and has had his fair share of difficult managerial jobs

But whenever he was offered a crisis job he didn't turn it down... he looked at it as a challenge

A small room filled with enthusiastic coaches. Among them, Thierry Henry, Arsenal legend, Sky TV pundit and assistant manager of Belgium, sitting front and centre.

Pressure, but not the pressure Adams used to operate under. Straight-talking used to cost him jobs. These days, it gets him work as an adviser or assessing referees. Or as a crisis management expert.

'Every young coach wants to be a manager,' said Adams. 'Forget the money, everybody would love to be Jose Mourinho and if someone said you can be Jose Mourinho but you can't have the money I think they'd still strive to be there.

'I say to young coaches, be the best you can be and be as well educated as you can. You can't know everything. That was the arrogance of my generation. It was our way or no way — and we were wrong.

'But nowadays if you're sensitive, if you can't handle criticism, if you like sleep, if you love your family, don't f****** go anywhere near football management.

'Do not go anywhere near it because it has serious consequences. That's true. I'm lucky, I survived.'

Adams kicked the habit in 2015 when he opted not to stay at Sligo Rovers having led an unlikely escape from relegation in the League of Ireland's top flight. At 55, he cannot envisage a return to the touchline. His consultancy business is taking shape and led him 3,500 miles east from his Leicestershire home last week into central Asia to coach the Kyrgyzstan Under-13 team.

The 55-year-old kicked the habit of football management after managing Sligo Rovers in 2015

He has written his book, Micky Adams: My Life in Football, and enjoys not being answerable to a chairman, although an advisory role beckons at Port Vale, where he was twice manager.

Vale fired Michael Brown last week. The sacking season is well and truly open. Frank de Boer, Justin Edinburgh, Gary Caldwell and Harry Redknapp can all testify. 'Sometimes, it comes as a relief,' said Adams.

'I see managers on TV looking tired and then they get the sack and three weeks later they look 10 years younger.

'They're striving. I see in first-time managers how badly they want it. If they fail at the first attempt they're very rarely seen again. Sometimes you build that pressure in your own mind.

'I've been there. You can't sleep, you wake up, bang, and you're on it again. You're driving along, not concentrating on the roads, thinking about what you'll say and how you'll deliver it.'

After a playing career which included a decade in the top flight with Coventry and Southampton, Adams made management look easy. He led Fulham and Brighton up out of the fourth tier, unearthed Wayne Bridge and Bobby Zamora and, at the age of 41, took Leicester into the Premier League.

'I got there quickly but I wasn't ready,' said Adams. 'I didn't have the mental capacity to be a top Premier League manager. I had the opportunity but not the mental strength. I did OK, but I look back and realise I didn't have the tools. There's nothing you can do about that.

'After La Manga, I was tired and I make awful decisions when I'm tired. There's been bits in my life which have been maybe too much drinking and not enough sleeping, sleeping tablets, and that's how the game gets to you.'

It was March 2004 when Adams decided to take his Leicester squad on a mid-season break in Spain. On a night out, nine players were arrested and three charged with rape. Paul Dickov, Frank Sinclair and Keith Gillespie faced up to 14 years in prison but the charges were dropped and apparently the whole incident had been an elaborate attempted set-up.

'Of course I regret it now,' said Adams. 'At the time I thought it was the right thing to get them away.

'I'm not a bitter and twisted man, banging my head on the granite saying the game owes me everything and La Manga, and all that. The game owes me absolutely jack s***, but it was a turning point.'

Leicester were relegated and Adams quit in October, soon after Mourinho had arrived at Chelsea, with the Premier League striding towards its global appeal.

'They spend a fortune on the sexy foreign coaches and it pushes everybody down the leagues and leaves good people without jobs,' says Adams, the first manager to be fired from an English club by a foreign owner when Mohamed Al Fayed replaced him with Ray Wilkins at Fulham.

It was his second claim to infamy.

He was already in the history books for the Premier League's first red card, dismissed, coincidentally, after punching Wilkins.

Adams sped from Coventry, back to Brighton and to Port Vale before leaving for his beloved Sheffield United and returning, six months later, to Vale where he won another promotion.

He feels more comfortable in the lower leagues but, even there, the psychology of football has changed greatly.

'When I started it was one man pointing a finger in your face, calling you names, testing you,' said Adams, recalling the confrontational charm of Chris Nicholl, his boss at Southampton. 'I've a lot of affection for Chris but he left no one in any doubt what he thought. He'd go round pointing the finger, 'You, did all right. You, s***. You, w*****. You, s***'. If he thought I was s*** I'd try to show him he was wrong on the Monday.

'I'm not sure they do that now. They're a bit softer and more sensitive and they go, 'Yeah, f*** you'. The players have got the power, not the clubs. It's easier to get rid of one man and his staff than a squad of players. If they down tools, that's it. At Coventry, we were sixth in the Championship, just before Christmas and we got smashed at West Brom and I thought, 'You know what, I'm going to do what Chris Nicholl did'.

'So I went in and went, 'You, not bad. You, s***. You, f****** rubbish'. We didn't win another game. I lost my job a month later.'

Having failed to stop Tranmere crashing into non-League, he crossed the Irish Sea to save Sligo, where he witnessed perhaps the most bizarre scene of his life in football.

Patrick Nzuzi, one of his players, had been arrested after an alleged assault on a woman but no charges were pressed and rumours developed about retribution from the victim's family.

Adams advised Nzuzi to get out of Ireland and head home to England when, on Monday morning, a masked gunman appeared on the training pitch and made a beeline for Jennison Myrie-Williams.

There were two black players in the squad. One, Nzuzi, was on his way out of the country. The other was Myrie-Williams. Players scattered as Adams and his No 2 Alan Rogers screamed about mistaken identity.

Myrie-Williams was on his knees with a gun to his head when the assailant removed his mask and started to laugh. It was in fact an injured player called John Russell, who had devised the prank in cahoots with the physio, who filmed it on her phone. 'The players were still shaking 20 minutes later,' said Adams.

Adams, who still takes a major interest in football, is out of the game and enjoying life

It was another story for the book. To go with Ron Atkinson's lost tooth, Terry Hurlock and the flying crystal ashtray which landed Adams in a police cell in Jersey, and Al Fayed's arrival at Craven Cottage with a plan to sign Ian Rush.

At least his sense of humour has survived the ordeal. Walking to a game at Old Trafford during Leicester's title run-in, a group of fans asked him to stop for a photograph. As he smiled for the camera, one of them said: 'I just want a reminder of how bad we were when you were manager. Look at us now.'

'Bit harsh,' said Adams. 'But you have to take it.'

Micky Adams: My Life in Football is released on Friday priced £20. See www.bitebackpublishing.com

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4907908/Micky-Adams-stresses-modern-day-manager.html#ixzz4tOJjOiGK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

MIDDLESBROUGH: Garry Monk - 'Fulham will provide a barometer of our progress - they were the best team in the Championship last season'

HIS side might have racked up a six-game unbeaten run, but Garry Monk expects tomorrow's trip to Fulham to provide a measure of where Middlesbrough find themselves as they look to mount a successful promotion charge.

The Teessiders head to Craven Cottage in a buoyant mood having seen off QPR in their last league outing and progressed to the fourth round of the Carabao Cup courtesy of a comfortable victory at Aston Villa on Tuesday night.

Fulham's last Championship outing saw them lose at Burton Albion, and Slavisa Jokanovic's side go into this weekend's game seven places below their opponents in the table.

Nevertheless, Monk regards the Cottagers as one of the favourites for promotion this season, having been hugely impressed by their performances against his Leeds United side last term. As a result, he see tomorrow's game as a useful barometer of Boro's progress since his appointment at the start of the summer.

"For me, Fulham were the best team in the league last season," said Monk. "They were the most difficult team we played against and played very good football. Another season forward, they will have improved on that.

"They're a team that are going in the right direction. They've got a very good manager, and he sets them up in a really good way. It's a way that's going to test us for sure, and we have to be ready for that. I think (Tom) Cairney is probably due back for this game, and that's another thing we'll have to be aware of.

"The game is definitely going to test us, and it will be a marker in some respects of where we are at this point. No game defines your season at this stage, but it'll show us where we are. We're on a good run, and we'll try to take that confidence and momentum down there with us."

Monk has been pleased with his side's progress since their opening-day defeat at Wolves, with their only other reverse having come in a game they dominated at Nottingham Forest.

There have been signs of increased cohesion in the last few weeks, most notably in the 3-0 win at Bolton and last weekend's victory over QPR, although Boro's players are yet to hit the heights for a full 90 minutes.

That is understandable given the number of changes that were enacted this summer, and Monk expects his side to continue improving as the season progresses. Nevertheless, he is happy with the signs he has seen so far.

"I don't think we've been at our best yet, right across the team," he said. "But that improvement and consistency is what we're striving for. The attitude towards fighting for that improvement is there on a daily basis, and I have to give the players credit for that.

"They're fighting for that very hard, all of them. As a manager and staff, that's what gives you confidence you're on the right path. That improvement will come with time."

Tuesday's performance at Aston Villa has provided Monk with a welcome selection dilemma, with Patrick Bamford having made an especially compelling case for his inclusion in the starting line-up.

Bamford scored his first two goals of the season at Villa Park, but could find himself back on the substitutes' bench with Monk expected to stick with Britt Assombalonga, who scored in the win over QPR.

Bamford's versatility means he could replace either Marvin Johnson or Lewis Baker from the side that started last weekend, although the former was in especially impressive form as he made his first Boro start six days ago.

Martin Braithwaite and Rudy Gestede remain the only injury absentees, with the former still not ready for a first-team return despite being back in full training and the latter continuing to recuperate after leg surgery.

"It's the same group as we've been having," said Monk. "Martin is back in training, it's just about building him up now and getting some fitness into him from the football perspective. The weekend game will probably be too soon, but we're looking into next week (to get him back).

Boro's reward for Tuesday's win at Villa was a fourth-round tie at Bournemouth, and while Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has called for the League Cup to be scrapped to ease fixture congestion, Monk remains a big fan of the competition.

"I love the League Cup," said the Boro boss, who picked up a winners' medal at Wembley after coming off the bench in Swansea City's 2013 win over Bradford. "I've always been a traditionalist, and I've grown up watching the cups in this country. They've got a great tradition and history, and history is always important.

"Of course the FA Cup is the most historic tournament, but the League Cup is just as important. You can make changes, and people might say that's devaluing it, but I think you could see from the commitment of the players we put out on Tuesday what it meant to them.

"I've made changes at all my teams, but you're paying respect to the cup as long as your team displays the right approach and attitude. We want to do well in the League Cup. We want to try to have a good cup run and win as many games as possible."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/15550188.MIDDLESBROUGH__Garry_Monk____Fulham_will_provide_a_barometer_of_our_progress___they_were_the_best_team_in_the_Championship_last_season_/

filham

Riley sounds like an ideal understudy for Cairney, I wonder when we can expect to see his first team debut, we could do with him right now.