https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lineup for Cardiff

Started by bornafulhamfan, October 07, 2018, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: west kowloon white on October 08, 2018, 01:26:45 PM
What scorline is a disaster?
the scoreline was, the tactical change was, the three at the back wasn't.
Just the views of a long term fan

west kowloon white

Matt10

I feel like we should give the 3-back another go. However, I'd replace Zambo with Johansen to see where he's at as a starter versus coming off the bench. He's been playing great for country. I think Seri and Zambo are too similar in their demeanor. Very relaxed, safe passing, a bit too obvious in nature - other than Seri rarely loses the ball while Zambo gets caught in possession consistently. Yes, you lose a bit of size, but what you get is a midfielder who has consistently dropped further back to help the defense and is aggressive both on and off the ball. A true box-to-box player. Not to mention, he led the team in assists last year. Just saying, we put Mitro's goal scoring on high regard, yet forget about Johansen playing a critical role in most of those goals.

I like Mawson on the right because he can have a bit more freedom to use his trusty right foot for passes into space, etc. MLM has been pretty good, and had a good match against Arsenal. I feel he is reading the game incredibly well right now. Ream closer to Sess is ideal as they have worked good together, and that puts Ream's left foot back in play. My only concern is the 3-back is easily exposed as soon as the midfield is breached, like it was consistently against Arsenal. In addition, we're not a very pacey group, so it's even more important to be in high communication. 

Not super ideal, but here's my proposed lineup for a 3-back:

Betts

Mawson   Ream    MLM

Odoi      Seri   Johansen      Sess

Vietto        Mitro      Schurrle

---
Now, my personal preference would be to run a 5-4-1. I think we need a clean sheet pretty badly, and this would be the ultimate intent. It does make it difficult to choose between having Schurrle, Sess or Vietto. All been playing well for us. I'd hate to put Sess at LB as well, so in this case I'd drop a CM and put Schurrle in the center. My worry is his stamina levels and having to deal with more tackles, etc. He's in decent form though, so considering the 5-back is more defensive minded, he'd have more freedom to get in on the attack. With Odoi and MLM overlapping, this could really allow us to build numbers, while not being caught out in transition, even against a 4-3-3, which is what Arsenal put on display against our 3-back and 4-back systems. This is also allows us to bring in any of the central midfielders in Cairney, McDonald, Johansen or Zambo, in later parts of the match.

Betts

Odoi   Mawson  Chambers   Ream  Le Marchand

Vietto    Seri    Schurrle   Sess

Mitro

Woolly Mammoth

Whatever else happens I would stick with Marcus Bettinelli. Let's face it, it must be unsettling and would give any Goalkeeper the jitters playing behind a defence which produces too much uncertainty, and no depth at the back. Betts has had no protection, totally exposed, which undermines his performance.
Bringing in Rico or the man in the moon will not make any difference, especially with Rico's lack of English, if anything it will make matters worse.
It's not Betts fault, it's the system or lack of one.
Yesterday we were punished for marking zonel, well space cannot score goals but players can.
Every time Arsenal attacked in the second half, the defence opened up like the Red Sea did for Moses.
It's a shame really, because I feel we can reduced the goals against dramatically if the defence can be disciplined as a unit at the back, and as a team behind the Ball to delay the opposition.
Jok must concentrate on what every player needs to know and do when we lose possession, rather than run around like headless chickens.
Whether it's playing a sweeper behind the a flat back 4, or in front of.
Whether to pack the midfield with plenty of traffic.
We have to start with preventing damage, rather than going toe to toe with opponents.
Anything to make us hard to score against, because their are about a dozen matches before the January window, and that's 36 precious points up for grabs against all kinds of opponents, that's the reality.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Riverside

I have to assume that Cairney will not be fit
And have to hope that after the international break Ream and Mawson will be fitter
Therefore I am minimising the changes

Betts

Mawson   Ream    MLM

Odoi      Seri   Anguissa      Less

Vietto        Mitro      Schurrle

FFC NY

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 08, 2018, 01:56:16 PM
Whatever else happens I would stick with Marcus Bettinelli. Let's face it, it must be unsettling and would give any Goalkeeper the jitters playing behind a defence which produces too much uncertainty, and no depth at the back. Betts has had no protection, totally exposed, which undermines his performance.
Bringing in Rico or the man in the moon will not make any difference, especially with Rico's lack of English, if anything it will make matters worse.
Yesterday we were punished for marking zonel, well space cannot score goals but players can.
Every time Arsenal attacked in the second half, the defence opened up like the Red Sea did for Moses.
It's a shame really, because I feel we can reduced the goals against dramatically if the defence can be disciplined as a unit at the back, and as a team behind the Ball to delay the opposition.
Jok must concentrate on what every player needs to know and do when we lose possession, rather than run around like headless chickens.
We have to start with preventing damage, rather than going toe to toe with opponents.
Anything to make us hard to score against, because their are about a dozen matches before the January window, and that's 36 precious points up for grabs against all kinds of opponents, that's the reality.

People were very quick to jump on Fabri's back saying too many goals conceded per game (2.5 goals per game), couldn't Fabri be defended on the same basis that the defence is basically non-existent at present? Betts has now conceded 16 in 6 @ 2.67 goals per game.... I'm not saying he should be replaced but I don't think he has done anything particularly well that he would warrant keeping his place if either of our other goalkeepers have been playing well in training

Twig

Betts
Odoi Mawson Ream Mlm
Seri Anguissa Cairney
Schurrle Mitro Sess

Betts did make a mistake with the second goal but he also pulled off a great save just prior to that.  He can't really be faulted for any of the other four.  I'd stick with him for now but I do understand the argument that we are shipping too many goals so something has to change.  For me the change has to be to our full backs. We need better defensive cover on the flanks and Odoi should help there. Unfortunately that means Ream and Mawson in the centre (or Chambers and Mawson but I haven't seen Chambers give one decent appearance yet).  Hopefully we have Cairney back because he gets the midfield ticking better and I think he would help Zambo and Seri settle down a bit.  One of Shurrle or Vietto has to drop to the bench, probably Vietto.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC NY on October 08, 2018, 04:31:08 PM

People were very quick to jump on Fabri's back saying too many goals conceded per game (2.5 goals per game), couldn't Fabri be defended on the same basis that the defence is basically non-existent at present? Betts has now conceded 16 in 6 @ 2.67 goals per game.... I'm not saying he should be replaced but I don't think he has done anything particularly well that he would warrant keeping his place if either of our other goalkeepers have been playing well in training

Fabri could be defended for the same reasons, but he isn't because Marcus has possession of the Shirt, and possession is 9 tenths of the law in a team.
Clearly Marcus has impressed Slavisa enough in training and on the pitch, as he has impressed Gareth Southgate.
Why would jok change it again, he could be out of the Frying Pan into the Fire, and at the same time knocking Betts confidence. As for Fabri he has to find his own way of getting back, but he is going to need a lot of patience and a lot more luck.
I thought he was fortunate to start the season, on his showing thus far, and I do not see him being an upgrade.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 08, 2018, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: filham on October 08, 2018, 12:10:35 PM
After yesterday I think I can be positive in some areas, I would go for:-

Betts
                                          ?          ?                  ?          ? 
                                                               ?
                                                  ?                      Cairney
                                   ?                                                                       ?

Mitrovic

Jocanovic must forget his experiment with three at the back , it was a disaster.

Positive for Bettinelli? On what basis?

And the disaster only came after we went 4 at the back.

Betts has put in good performances game after game and should not take the can back for those goals yesterday. Our right flank was wide open from the beginning of the game and presented an invitation that could not be ignored by any Arsenal player with pace. We have to shut down the routes down our flanks with strong full backs supported by wide midfielders dropping back.

Milo

Betts
Odoi - Ream - MLM - Sess
Seri - Anguissa - Cairney
Vietto - Mitro - Schurrle

If Anguissa struggles with pace of game like at the weekend then MacDonald comes on around 60 minutes.

SP

Such a shame Bryan is injured, his experience of trips to Cardiff with BCFC would've been useful.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: filham on October 08, 2018, 06:29:59 PM

Betts
                                                               ?

Mitrovic

Jocanovic must forget his experiment with three at the back , it was a disaster.

Betts has put in good performances game after game and should not take the can back for those goals yesterday. Our right flank was wide open from the beginning of the game and presented an invitation that could not be ignored by any Arsenal player with pace. We have to shut down the routes down our flanks with strong full backs supported by wide midfielders dropping back.

He doesn't make many mistakes, with regards to saves. But his overall distribution of the ball, and command of the defence is lacking.

I don't think we should drop him because he's been awful, but because we have Rico, a keeper who has played at the highest level for years.

@jolslover

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 08, 2018, 10:51:45 PM
Quote from: filham on October 08, 2018, 06:29:59 PM

Betts
                                                               ?

Mitrovic

He doesn't make many mistakes, with regards to saves. But his overall distribution of the ball, and command of the defence is lacking.

I don't think we should drop him because he's been awful, but because we have Rico, a keeper who has played at the highest level for years.

Real.
STH H3

AnOldBrownie

Betts
                                                               ?

Mitrovic

Moving to 4 at the back seemed to confuse the FBs and made it much tougher for us to score.   I think we looked better with 3 CBs.   If two wingers stay back that essentially gives you 5 defenders.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Milo on October 08, 2018, 06:33:33 PM
Betts
Odoi - Ream - MLM - Sess

If Anguissa struggles with pace of game like at the weekend then MacDonald comes on around 60 minutes.

Why MacDonald.   He struggled more than Anguissa.     I'd rather they bring in Johanson.   As someone mentioned earlier, he would be quicker of thought and less of a TALL Seri type player.   More of a box to box.

It's going to have to be proven to me that MacDonald can handle the pace of the Premier League. 

@jolslover

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on October 08, 2018, 11:08:32 PM
Quote from: Milo on October 08, 2018, 06:33:33 PM
Betts
Odoi - Ream - MLM - Sess

Why MacDonald.   He struggled more than Anguissa.     I'd rather they bring in Johanson.   As someone mentioned earlier, he would be quicker of thought and less of a TALL Seri type player.   More of a box to box.

It's going to have to be proven to me that MacDonald can handle the pace of the Premier League. 

Neither Johansen or Mcdonald are good enough to be regular prem starters IMO and that's sad bcos I like them both. They achieved a lot with us last season.
STH H3

Forever Fulham

If we have a three man back field, none of them can go bombing up the pitch the way Odoi does.  We had a distinctive style that worked with Betts Plus 4, and the FBs made their supporting runs up the pitch and were able to transition back fast enough to get involved in the counter when it happened.  But the PL has faster players.  Better and more accurate  passers over distance. If Odoi goes racing up, can he get back in time if he goes up like he did in the Championship?  They need to rethink the distances the are willing to drift in support of the attack, because it leaves us vulnerable on defense.  I'm not saying always stay home.  But use more positional awareness when making those supporting runs to assure you haven't left the back door open.   The Premier has better deliverers of the ball, and more overall foot speed.  The midline should be like an invisible fence to FBs until we fully gel with all of the new players. 

alfie

Do you not think that Rico might have learnt some English now for instance
"Clear the bloody ball away"
Just a thought
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on October 09, 2018, 02:48:50 AM
Do you not think that Rico might have learnt some English now for instance
"Clear the bloody ball away"
Just a thought

No ! He has not mastered the Cockney accent.

Never forget your Roots.