watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our new style of football

Started by The Swan, November 16, 2018, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

According to our new manager Mr Ranieri our style of football will have to change if we hope to avoid relegation.
He won't mind if we play ugly but win the games.
He won't like it if we play well and lose ( like we did against Man City and Liverpool.
We must expect a type of football that means we are very tight at the back, We will have to defend as a team and attack as a team.

We must start with a win against Southampton. We play Chelsea away the second game , not much chance of getting anything there.
Then we play Leicester at home, another game we must win. Following that we play Man U away not much chance of getting anything there.
All in all we must win our home games and make Craven Cottage a Fortress once again.
The Swan

hovewhite

More defence based no more flowing football I don't think which will be ok if we achieve wins,think if it doesn't work I expect the boo boys to get on his back especially on boards like this!!

TC's Sporran

I can see one of my faves - Tom Cairney watching mostly from the sidelines the rest of the season  as he showed for Liverpools second that defending isn't his thing.

Tom has been lucky in that his last two managers have been prepared to accept his defensive frailties due to his flair.
I think tinkerman might not give him that much leeway.

Andy S

All speculation. Let's wait and see

Woolly Mammoth

The players will have to change their mentality very quickly, and realise this will be no holiday camp.
The players contributed to getting us in this mess, not all of them, but a large percentage of them.
Claudio has no doubt been given his orders as to why he has been brought on board his pirate ship, he knows he is expected to deliver, and he will leave no stone unturned, and who can blame him. 
His remit is to prevent Fulham going back down whatever it takes.
So let's let him get on with the job his way, and hope he and the players can do what's needed, and without any interference from amateurs like the Chairmans son, who was the one person who should have been dismissed, not Slavisa.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

I think we'll go with two DM. He liked that in Kante and Drinkwater. Expecting Zambo and KMac/Chambers Infront of a back 4 of Odoi RB, Mawson, MLM CB and Bryan LB
I was there, standing in the Putney end

MrFFC

Cairney will still be vital under Ranieri he may be pushed further forward with 2 DMs behind him
Come on you Whites!! :)

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: JoelH5 on November 16, 2018, 11:54:26 PM
I think we'll go with two DM. He liked that in Kante and Drinkwater. Expecting Zambo and KMac/Chambers Infront of a back 4 of Odoi RB, Mawson, MLM CB and Bryan LB

Is Bryan a good defender?   I know his name comes up a lot, and he's naturally left footed...but he hasn't spent most of his career defending correct?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: MrFFC on November 17, 2018, 12:25:24 AM
Cairney will still be vital under Ranieri he may be pushed further forward with 2 DMs behind him

In a 4-2-3-1  Cairney can find a home at the #10 spot if the two DMs behind him are focused completely on defending.

colinwhite

Quote from: hovewhite on November 16, 2018, 10:16:37 PM
More defence based no more flowing football I don't think which will be ok if we achieve wins,think if it doesn't work I expect the boo boys to get on his back especially on boards like this!!
..and they will probably be the same ones that called for Slavisas head.....

hovewhite

Quote from: colinwhite on November 17, 2018, 06:29:02 AM
Quote from: hovewhite on November 16, 2018, 10:16:37 PM
..and they will probably be the same ones that called for Slavisas head.....
Exactamar!

toshes mate

Ranieri, in his opening remarks, said Khan Snr asked him to 'make us safe', which means goodbye entertainment and style, hello results.  Those results may even mean they are derived from just one attack in a game spent defending for almost all the ninety minutes.  It could be a massive culture shock after Jokanovic but may serve a useful purpose to get fans thinking harder before they make their furture wishes for change.  Can Ranieri produce better than that?  For sure, but first you have to buy him what he needs not unlike a certain Serb has in the past inferred.

Jonnoj

We are bottom with a record goals against tally.
It has to change.
I suspect it will develop a bit like Hodgson where we spent time tightening up and then got more expansive once we knew how to build form the back with a tight defence.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Jonnoj on November 17, 2018, 08:34:39 AM
It has to change.
I suspect it will develop a bit like Hodgson where we spent time tightening up and then got more expansive once we knew how to build form the back with a tight defence.

+1

I Ronic

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on November 17, 2018, 09:33:36 AM
Quote from: Jonnoj on November 17, 2018, 08:34:39 AM
It has to change.

+1

:plus one: My feeling is the players haven't lost any confidence in their own abilities but that of their team mates. I believe there are enough good players in the squad for Ranieri to tighten the defence. SK's team against Liverpool showed that.

Holders

It has to change but it won't be pretty. Let's just hope it's effective.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

The references to Hodgson are perhaps a little overstated under current recruitment policy.  He brought in players aged 30, Duff and Murphy for example.  As I have already said much depends on whether or not the recruitment team functions as a support unit to Ranieri and not as dictator.  We will never know how well that may have worked for Jokanovic.

filham

Well I would be much happier if we had played a few more boring defensive games this season but had come away with three points on three or four occasions.

bill taylors apprentice

Fighting spirit!

We showed it last season when things were going well, now the players need to dig in even harder.

An obvious thing to say but good football is more than keeping the ball in the middle third against Championship players until they make a mistake.

If the players don't buy into the new regime they need to be pushed aside.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Honestly I couldn't care less how we play as long as we get a result.