more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

To have any chance of beating Brighton

Started by Riversider, January 23, 2019, 03:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Our transfer action has to spring in to life today and tomorrow,
To do nothing is a clear statement that the club have already accepted their fate,
I would urge all supporters though not to hold their breath.

The Rational Fan

If Fulham have no chance to beat Brighton at Home without transfers, then I fail to see how we can beat one of Everton or West Ham Away or Wolves Away with transfers. A true Fulham fan or player or coach doesn't need any executive signals, we fight to the death anyway.

The executive and accountants may have decided they have already lost £35 million in player transfers this season; FFP rules say once we lose "£35 million in transfers" that's it no more spending allowed.

The Old Count

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2019, 04:35:21 AM
If Fulham have no chance to beat Brighton at Home without transfers, then I fail to see how we can beat one of Everton or West Ham Away or Wolves Away with transfers. A true Fulham fan or player or coach doesn't need any executive signals, we fight to the death anyway.

The executive and accountants may have decided they have already lost £35 million in player transfers this season; FFP rules say once we lose "£35 million in transfers" that's it no more spending allowed.

How have we lost £35 million in transfers when we haven't sold anyone (Stephen Humphys aside who made a paper profit)?

A lot of people on here get their knickers in a twist about FFP when, for us at least, the situation is manageable.

Still doesn't necessarily mean we'll sign anyone though (just to keep the negative vibe going here)

Roberty

. . . we need to avoid giving away a penalty in the last ten minutes !!

Without a silly handball - we were home and dry when we played them on the south coast
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

nose returns

Quote from: Roberty on January 23, 2019, 12:03:56 PM
. . . we need to avoid giving away a penalty in the last ten minutes !!

Without a silly handball - we were home and dry when we played them on the south coast

I was thinking the same, I was also thinking we need to score 3 because we tend to concede twice in most games, even against oldham.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on January 23, 2019, 03:10:24 AM
To do nothing is a clear statement that the club have already accepted their fate,

The club has been sleep walking for a while now. It would not surprise me that they never actually became proactive over recruitment until January 2nd, when the crack recruitment unit returned from their Christmas and New Year festivities from wherever they were on the planet, and rebooted their computers.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

You may argue that we need signings in order to stay in the PL, but to claim that we have no chance of beating Brighton without additions is in my opinion a huge exaggeration. They are a decent team but hardly great, and of course we can win with our current squad. Isn't our situation bad enough without these doomsday threads?

Riversider

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 03:30:51 PM

You may argue that we need signings in order to stay in the PL, but to claim that we have no chance of beating Brighton without additions is in my opinion a huge exaggeration. They are a decent team but hardly great, and of course we can win with our current squad. Isn't our situation bad enough without these doomsday threads?

Don't really understand your point ?
Take a look at our league position,  and our last ten results and come back and clarify for me why we don't need any additions before next Tuesday,  as I'm a little confused.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on January 23, 2019, 03:41:53 PM

Take a look at our league position,  and our last ten results and come back and clarify for me why we don't need any additions before next Tuesday,  as I'm a little confused.

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand should it? Did we have no chance of beating teams like Wolves, Leicester or West Ham for example (teams that are not obviously worse than Brighton)? Because if you saw the games we were absolutely in them with a chance, even though we were by no means dominating. I didn't state that we are favorites, or that it wouldn't be good to get some more options in, but we are hardly without a chance.

So, my point (that was very clearly stated by the way) is that saying that we have no chance against Brighton with our current squad is an exaggeration. In my opinion of course. If you are still confused as to what my point was I am not sure I can explain it better, but will try if you want to.

Riversider

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 03:56:25 PM
Quote from: Riversider on January 23, 2019, 03:41:53 PM

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand should it? Did we have no chance of beating teams like Wolves, Leicester or West Ham for example (teams that are not obviously worse than Brighton)? Because if you saw the games we were absolutely in them with a chance, even though we were by no means dominating. I didn't state that we are favorites, or that it wouldn't be good to get some more options in, but we are hardly without a chance.

So, my point (that was very clearly stated by the way) is that saying that we have no chance against Brighton with our current squad is an exaggeration. In my opinion of course. If you are still confused as to what my point was I am not sure I can explain it better, but will try if you want to.

To have any chance of "beating" Brighton , was the title of this piece, which is what we have to do,
You objected to my post, saying that we don't need new additions to beat Brighton,
To make your point you put forward 3 teams as an example of why we don't need any new players,
In all 3 games we failed to get a single win !
Thanks for clearing it up and making your point so well and so succinctly.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on January 23, 2019, 04:12:26 PM

To have any chance of "beating" Brighton , was the title of this piece, which is what we have to do,
You objected to my post, saying that we don't need new additions to beat Brighton,
To make your point you put forward 3 teams as an example of why we don't need any new players,
In all 3 games we failed to get a single win !
Thanks for clearing it up and making your point so well and so succinctly.

I am aware that we didn't win them, but that is not the same as saying that we never stood a chance. Did you watch those games, and can you genuinely say that we didn't have a chance of winning any of them? That would also mean that Wolves and Leicester didn't have a chance to beat us as they drew. I guess that means that if neither teams make any additions there is a 100 % chance of a draw next time as well? Or does that only apply to Fulham? Because then it is strange that we lost to Burnley since we had a 100 % chance of beating them.

Sting of the North

I will now leave this thread, since I am fairly sure that you understand my point. Just to clarify, I understand that you believe that we are not giving ourselves a good enough chance to survive by being so seemingly inactive in the transfer window, but I am a bit allergic to hyperbole. My apologies for not being able to just ignore it all the time.

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2019, 03:08:38 PM

The club has been sleep walking for a while now. It would not surprise me that they never actually became proactive over recruitment until January 2nd, when the crack recruitment unit returned from their Christmas and New Year festivities from wherever they were on the planet, and rebooted their computers.

Disappointing if that was the case.  That said, I'm not holding my breath for any late signing difference makers.  The redball pickup was a good one, but this team needs defense more so than offense.   

Bassey the warrior

We can beat them with what we have but it won't be easy. They can go direct with all their pacy wingers or be more patient, as they have creative players like Gross. Up front Murray is a natural finisher and quite adept at cheating. They have big men who can score from corners. They're a good team.

We need to ideally go 2 up to have a chance of winning.

jarv

Play as well as the lads did against Spurs, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves... cut out schoolboy mistakes. That's how they win. Easier said than done though.

davew

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 23, 2019, 04:22:10 PM
I understand that you believe that we are not giving ourselves a good enough chance to survive by being so seemingly inactive in the transfer window
Well done you have understood his point!! No point me saying any more, as you and I disagree on almost everything on this forum! While all might seem rosy to you on what we do or don't do, most of us just go by results, performances and most importantly our league position or am I wearing rose tinted glasses? Our owner is not stupid, once bitten twice shy, why on earth would he invest more money in this window on a hopeless cause? Accept our fate this season (even if we don't like it) and look forward to next season in a league we should be able to compete in!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: jarv on January 23, 2019, 05:58:37 PM
Play as well as the lads did against Spurs, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves... cut out schoolboy mistakes. That's how they win. Easier said than done though.
We have had 23 games to cut out the schoolboy mistakes and are no nearer to doing so, what make you think all will have been corrected this week in training? How many times have we heard from both of our managers how well everything is going on the practice ground and then match day, same old, same old! If we are lucky we might secure a draw against Brighton.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on January 23, 2019, 05:23:45 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2019, 03:08:38 PM

Disappointing if that was the case.  That said, I'm not holding my breath for any late signing difference makers.  The redball pickup was a good one, but this team needs defense more so than offense.   

That is right, as there has been no indication that there has been any movement of incomings regarding rumours and activity.
So maybe it's the lull before the storm, and perhaps there maybe a late flurry which may be too little too late, and as you say defence is priority, and we really do need a centre back and full back minimum.
So unfortunately I shall not hold my breath either.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

We came very close against Spurs and a similar performance against Brighton could just secure three points.

However, we really do need a couple of new proven players and to have those available for the Brighton game would be a tremendous boost. Needs to happen in the next couple of days though and there is no indication of anything happening.

HV71

I can't work out whether it's the alcholic mist or what but I agree with you DaveW. The main point is that we still cannot defend despite the fact that we brought in a defensive coach . That is after 23 games . We have improved , but the improvement has only been marginal and  currently not enough to make us competitive. The worst of it is that most teams in the bottom half look a good deal better than we do. Sadly we will go down - we need to rebuild our style and the way we set ourselves up now. No time to waste and certainly no time to dither and be indecisive. Team and management building should begin ASAP