watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FFC TV - Jamie - what the!!

Started by howitis, July 04, 2020, 04:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Im not sure what is more painful Fulhams performance or Jamie commentary. Love Jim but his sidekick is agony to listen to. Its like he is planted by Tony Khan/Scott Parker to cover up the inadequacies of our performances.
He talks utter garbage and am now being forced to watch without commentary.
After suffering his naive to ridiculous comments through the leeds and qpr games he now is saluting some aspects on Fulhams first half performance against Birmingham.
Its half time and we have not had a shot yet !!!!

Sack Parker and let him take this Jamie character with him .....

Luka

Yep, he is very irritating and so is Jamie 8-)

grandad

I will never complain about GJ & Jamie. They are 100% Fulham. Better by far than the commentators & pundits on the BBC & Sky.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Whitestone

Not sure what the issue is here. The guy is on the payroll of FFC so why would anyone expect him to be anything other than corporate.

Hatch007

Quote from: jayffc on July 04, 2020, 05:24:14 PM
I'll never forget todays game, when following one of the most hapless displays by a fulham winger in years, Cav was subbed off (rightly and not soon enough!) and he said...." I though Cav was having quite a good game".....  :doh:What qualification does this guy have to comment on football, what on earth were you watching pal?

Jamie is a BBC London Sport presenter and commentator so that makes him pretty qualified I would say.

I've had the pleasure of dinner with Jamie and GJ. They are both top guys and Fulham through and through.

Jamie's style may not be palatable to you but don't tell me Cav's first half performance (I didn't see the 2nd half - admittedly) was "one of the most hapless displays by a Fulham winger in years". He was one of our better performers in the first half amongst many dire performances, IMHO. Linked up well early on with TC down the left. Put in a very good centre on the run with his left foot and then played an intelligent header across the six yard box (instead of being greedy and going for goal from an impossible angle) that BDR should have scored from if he wasn't "caught on his haunches" to use the words of Jamie who was spot on with that assessment.

jayffc

Sorry if that seemed over the line, I appreciate it didn't come across nicely... I hadn't spoken much about it before and I've grown increasingly tired and frustrated with his, frankly, inane commentary - especially when frustrations are already bubbled up with the team. And if you understand human interaction much, or have studied it at all, you can tell Jim also doesn't know how to respond to much of the random nonsense he comes out with..there's alot of humoring him that goes on and I just would rather go back to the days of Jim on his own to cut all that out.

Again, he's harmless, and I'm sure he has a good heart, but it's fairly clear from the hours of recording and footage of him that he's very socially awkward and doesn't pick up on social cues well. therefore I find him a very odd appointment as someone to front up interviews.I'm not @'ing him or the club calling for his job  ... but am voicing my long felt annoyance here.

I feel for Jim every week having to rephrase the same forced response... "yep, we got it, there are fulham fans all over the globe".

Anyway, again, sorry if that was expressed too harshly.

jayffc

Quote from: Hatch007 on July 04, 2020, 05:51:35 PM
I'll never forget todays game, when following one of the most hapless displays by a fulham winger in years, Cav was subbed off (rightly and not soon enough!) and he said...." I though Cav was having quite a good game".....  :doh:What qualification does this guy have to comment on football, what on earth were you watching

Jamie is a BBC London Sport presenter and commentator so that makes him pretty qualified I would say.

I've had the pleasure of dinner with Jamie and GJ. They are both top guys and Fulham through and through.

Jamie's style may not be palatable to you but don't tell me Cav's first half performance (I didn't see the 2nd half - admittedly) was "one of the most hapless displays by a Fulham winger in years". He was one of our better performers in the first half amongst many dire performances, IMHO. Linked up well early on with TC down the left. Put in a very good centre on the run with his left foot and then played an intelligent header across the six yard box (instead of being greedy and going for goal from an impossible angle) that BDR should have scored from if he wasn't "caught on his haunches" to use the words of Jamie who was spot on with that assessment.

Fair dos, I was certainly being verbose with my description of his performance, but it was largely feckless imo, many, many instances of running into nowhere and losing the ball with the occasional, half glimpse of something OK....That header for instance, I assumed he was going to shoot, because I felt that was the right thing to do, it was actually a good oppurtnunity to do so, but saw it as making the wrong choice rather than being unselfish and giving up an opportunity to score instead opting to provide an assist that BDR...in which case, you can blame BDR for messing up by not being further forward but Cav clearly saw BDR's position at that point and put the ball too far ahead of him. (In my opinion, BDR was more likely assuming, as I was, that Cav was going to shoot, as that was probably the best thing to do!)

Anyway...again, Love Jim, Think Jamie is no doubt a nice enough human, and for sure big on fulham. But just my opinion, how he's carved any sort of career out involving interviewing or presenting is beyond me. I may have been a little over forceful in that, but it's how I feel.

Whitesideup

I think they do ok, and so what if they try to see the positive in our play and players?

With about 10 minutes to go, they said they could still see us getting a win, whereas I didn't rate our chances of scoring. So hats off to them.

I think it's ok to be critical of our team, individual players, manager, crowd, ground, commentators etc etc  but we should always use measured and polite terms.

Btw - I would hardly describe Cav's performance as hapless .. Jees  .. did you ever see Eddie Johnson play?

jayffc

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on July 04, 2020, 06:06:32 PM
I'll never forget todays game, when following one of the most hapless displays by a fulham winger in years, Cav was subbed off (rightly and not soon enough!) and he said...." I though Cav was having quite a good game".....  :doh:What qualification does this guy have to comment on football, what on earth were you watching pal?... socially awkward, clueless oddball and borderline autistic with little understanding of football...yeah let's give him the job. Listen, he's harmless, but my god is he an awful pundit.

Well you're welcome to that belief. As I am to disagree. Once again, happy to see that it was put a little harsher than I'd have liked on reflection. But, having studied the condition, and having lived closely observing others with it, there's plenty in the countless hours of footage of him and his interactions that leave me wondering if there's a touch of it there. Which, when you're main job is talking with others on camera/audio, just seems an odd choice personally. As stated above that's not to say he's not a wonderful human being, or worthy as a person, just makes him an odd choice for a commentator. Again, you are welcome to disagree and your own opinion

Logicalman

Both Jim and Jamie work well together from my experience. Jim has that passion we have all come to love over the decades he has been commentating for FFC, and Jamie provides both that little expertise and acts as a foil to Jims overt passion. We all think commentary is easy, I promise you, it's not so much, especially at the speed footie is played and the match changes.

As for his qualifications, yes, he has plenty of testimonials in sport, and I doubt you would call him socially awkward if you actually knew anything of him.

Bottom line is mate, they are both one of our own, they are there to be as upbeat as the players allow them to be, as they are the voice of Fulham FC to fans around the world, and however much more of a fan one might consider themselves than either of them, they do a job much better than most any of us on here. Disagree by all means, but don't just dis, please.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

jayffc

Quote from: Whitesideup on July 04, 2020, 06:13:43 PM
I think they do ok, and so what if they try to see the positive in our play and players?

With about 10 minutes to go, they said they could still see us getting a win, whereas I didn't rate our chances of scoring. So hats off to them.

I think it's ok to be critical of our team, individual players, manager, crowd, ground, commentators etc etc  but we should always use measured and polite terms.

Btw - I would hardly describe Cav's performance as hapless .. Jees  .. did you ever see Eddie Johnson play?

Oh lord don't remind me of Eddie!! true, I think some of my frustration with higher expectations for Cav left me more verbosely critical than I could have put it, when really I was intending to just flippantly describe what I felt was a deeply ineffectual performance from him. Wasn't literally the worst (of course) just another in a string of frustratingly poor showings.

SuffolkWhite

Not just this topic, but why do we end up with painful discussions that take such a negative turn and arguement. I get difference of opinion and even heated debate but why not with courtesy and respect. We are all Fulham at the end of the day and if in a pub talking face to face would be more respectful.

Fof is a great.

My two pennies anyway.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

filham

I am pleased to be able to watch these games on FFCtv and am quite happy with the commentators, who have a Fulham bias and clearly feel for Fulham in the same way as I do. What would we doing without them right now.

jayffc

Quote from: Logicalman on July 04, 2020, 06:18:02 PM
Both Jim and Jamie work well together from my experience. Jim has that passion we have all come to love over the decades he has been commentating for FFC, and Jamie provides both that little expertise and acts as a foil to Jims overt passion. We all think commentary is easy, I promise you, it's not so much, especially at the speed footie is played and the match changes.

As for his qualifications, yes, he has plenty of testimonials in sport, and I doubt you would call him socially awkward if you actually knew anything of him.

Bottom line is mate, they are both one of our own, they are there to be as upbeat as the players allow them to be, as they are the voice of Fulham FC to fans around the world, and however much more of a fan one might consider themselves than either of them, they do a job much better than most any of us on here. Disagree by all means, but don't just dis, please.

Fair cop,

For what it's worth I'd never purport to be "more of fan" than anyone for what it's worth, and certainly no downplaying of his love for the club my end, But that's about the bare minimum I'd ask of a club commentators is all. I find myself very frequently disagreeing with his assessments or reading of the game as do many, as indeed it appears does Jim with telling silence as he scrambles to think of how to respond.

He seems a sweet-hearted bloke (might partly explain his incessant reading of fan messages during a match asking for a hello) Again, nada against him day to day,  just my observation that there is likely out there, many people more capable. Not saying any old person can do it, but know for sure there are many out there who could.

jayffc

Quote from: filham on July 04, 2020, 06:27:29 PM
I am pleased to be able to watch these games on FFCtv and am quite happy with the commentators, who have a Fulham bias and clearly feel for Fulham in the same way as I do. What would we doing without them right now.

Probably having a lower risk of heart failure!

But absolutely, grateful for footy, and grateful for FFCTV... just would hugely prefer Jim on his own as we used to have, or him paired with someone more suited for the job is my opinion. Again, happy for others to feel differently

WhiteJC

I'm not a fan of anyone co-commentating with Gentlemen Jim, I know it was a while ago but I far preferred him on his own, I wasn't keen on Sean Davies as a co-commentator either, nothing against either of them I'd just be happier with Jim on his own.

jayffc

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on July 04, 2020, 06:25:53 PM
Not just this topic, but why do we end up with painful discussions that take such a negative turn and arguement. I get difference of opinion and even heated debate but why not with courtesy and respect. We are all Fulham at the end of the day and if in a pub talking face to face would be more respectful.

Fof is a great.

My two pennies anyway.

Totally hear you, for what it's worth I'd absolutely have made my original comment to a mate in a pub, and then he'd probably know me, and know how to take it from me and know from my intonation that I'm being over the top for effect, rather than literal, and spiral into deep offence at what was said...or maybe he would, and I'd explain myself and we'd get on with it.... On messageboards, interactions don't tend to land in the same way and then people jump in and all over each other. 

The comment above about being a keyboard warrior for instance? Of course, I wouldn't walk up to Jamie and tell him he's potentially got a social condition....why the hell would I, that would be a really odd and cruel thing to do to someone randomly in the street. Doesn't change the fact that should I find myself in a situation where the club asked me my honest opinion in a discussion on his abilities that I wouldn't say exactly how I felt about it.

What I did do was voice my agreeance on a football thread that I think he's a terrible choice for a commentator. It's got naff all to being brave enough or hiding behind a keyboard...we're all talking from a keyboard here.

fulhamben

Quote from: whitejc on July 04, 2020, 06:32:47 PM
I'm not a fan of anyone co-commentating with Gentlemen Jim, I know it was a while ago but I far preferred him on his own, I wasn't keen on Sean Davies as a co-commentator either, nothing against either of them I'd just be happier with Jim on his own.
tend to agree, but there were a few occasions where Jim gets caught up in the moment and just stops talking. Which Jamie now jumps in and explains what happend
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on July 04, 2020, 06:27:29 PM

Bias? BIAS? What Bias. I find Jim's summing up of how opposition players are dirty, time-wasting, cheating, acting and fashion-challenged persons quite accurate!  As for failing to recall the name of that shower down the road whenever we have the displeasure of playing them, that's him just being absent-minded :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

jayffc

Quote from: fulhamben on July 04, 2020, 06:48:40 PM
Quote from: whitejc on July 04, 2020, 06:32:47 PM
tend to agree, but there were a few occasions where Jim gets caught up in the moment and just stops talking. Which Jamie now jumps in and explains what happens

HA! Now this is true in fairness! Though as annoying as it can be, it's part of Jim's charm!  "I love fulham"...classic