more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FFC TV - Jamie - what the!!

Started by howitis, July 04, 2020, 04:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cravenette

Quote from: grandad on July 04, 2020, 07:31:20 PM
They work well together. I love it when Jim says " That was never a foul, get up" Jamie then says " In fairness Jim he did have both of his legs taken out." Jim " Yes, just seen a replay"

True. Love this, normally happens at least once every match.

clarkey

I think Jamie is inept and not really cut out for what he tries to do. For TV commentators both he and Jim talk FAR too much. They need to be quiet, but sadly they are commentating for both TV and sound only, so the two mediums fight each other in this respect. He is also unbelievably bland and just does not really "know" football. I suspect he never played at a very good level.

In addition he falls over himself to avoid making any qualitative or value calls.So very very bland.

His role is also not clearly defined, he is there as either a commentator back up or a summariser but does not have the knowledge to summarise, so is left to sort of give a man on the street version of events. Again not really very good at that either and not useful to most fans who have at least as much knowledge as he does.

Jim is excellent and compared to most Club commentators is miles ahead, he adds character, humour and personality.There is a massive gulf between them.He loves the team and shows his feelings. Like all of us.He is just right.Also not afraid of calling out some of the awful Championship level reffing.

I would far prefer to have just Jim and no Jamie.He adds zilch. In fact I turn the sound down now as there is no crowd. I know who the players are and can do without the endless wall to wall meaningless Jamie stream of no content.

jayffc

Quote from: clarkey on July 05, 2020, 09:53:24 AM
I think Jamie is inept and not really cut out for what he tries to do. For TV commentators both he and Jim talk FAR too much. They need to be quiet, but sadly they are commentating for both TV and sound only, so the two mediums fight each other in this respect. He is also unbelievably bland and just does not really "know" football. I suspect he never played at a very good level.

In addition he falls over himself to avoid making any qualitative or value calls.So very very bland.

His role is also not clearly defined, he is there as either a commentator back up or a summariser but does not have the knowledge to summarise, so is left to sort of give a man on the street version of events. Again not really very good at that either and not useful to most fans who have at least as much knowledge as he does.

Jim is excellent and compared to most Club commentators is miles ahead, he adds character, humour and personality.There is a massive gulf between them.He loves the team and shows his feelings. Like all of us.He is just right.Also not afraid of calling out some of the awful Championship level reffing.

I would far prefer to have just Jim and no Jamie.He adds zilch. In fact I turn the sound down now as there is no crowd. I know who the players are and can do without the endless wall to wall meaningless Jamie stream of no content.

Would be a nicer way to put it than how I originally did in the moment 😂.

Basically all of the above. But we are stuck with it as it is for now, a couple people appear happy enough with him, for many I've spoken to it detracts from their enjoyment of the streams as a whole. But ...Each to their own ay.

jayffc

Quote from: rebel on July 05, 2020, 07:35:36 AM
Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 04, 2020, 09:14:54 PM
They are biased but then so are every other club tv commentating teams that I have heard. It is only natural.

Some of them are way too biased, their team are losing 6 - 0, they still commentate as if their team is Brazil. Jamie is Jamie, the best bits are when Jamie makes a 'gaff', Jim picks him up on it and you hear Jim laughing throughout the rest of the commentary.

If you don't like the commentary, just turn it off. 

A bit like the classic, "if you don't like it living here in *insert country* -  move then.... "
I like commentary generally, its useful, especially if you don't have a TV to stream the game on,  I like Gentleman Jim alot, he embodies the feel of many fulham fans, but I, and clearly a number of others, prefer it with someone other than Jamie alongside. That's all... given an opportunity to vote on it from the club, I wholeheartedly would. But instead, we're left voicing our opinion on a fulham board.

as for other comments on this thread along the lines of clearly having nothing to do in life...
There are, of course, more important things in the world, it's not life-ending stuff, but we're all on a football board discussing, often passionately, our feelings and thoughts on a group of men, kicking a ball into, or failing to kick a ball into a net... so let's pop the high horse back in the cupboard.

grandad

My final say on the matter is, listening to GJ & Jamie is like sitting at the game with your mates.. Perfect for us living abroad. Keeps us in touch.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Andy S

I love the commentary and know how difficult it is to not show your frustration. It is also important to try and remain objective. The two of them Jamie and Jim are perfect together and necessary as it is too much to commentate on your own for 90 minutes and still remain interesting. Keep it up boys. It is keeping us sane

Carborundum

Watching the games, we've kept the sound on. They are doing a decent job.  Listening to GJ is indeed like sitting next to a good mate.  But let's face it, even ones mates do sometimes come out with complete nonsense.  Jamie does a good line in balancing things up.  Their reactions to yesterday's  foul by Harry Arter I think it was, pretty much a textbook example.

Fulham1959

A great teaming.  I'm happy with both of them.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 05, 2020, 08:57:42 AM
Gentleman Jim is a Fulham institution and I like him. Jamie Reid has a broadcasting pedigree, a good voice for radio and, clearly, knows a lot about the game and other teams'  players. He has, IMO, a tough job in being the number 2. That said, I get very fed up of the inane wittering he introduces too often about 'Fred in Acapulco says hi' or 'Happy birthday to Daisy in Kuala Lumpur'.  Keep those messages for before the game or half time.   I really am not interested in Fred or Daisy!
It's not about you.

Oh...and Happy Birthday Jamie Reid.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Southcoastffc

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 05, 2020, 05:12:09 PM
Gentleman Jim is a Fulham institution and I like him. Jamie Reid has a broadcasting pedigree, a good voice for radio and, clearly, knows a lot about the game and other teams'  players. He has, IMO, a tough job in being the number 2. That said, I get very fed up of the inane wittering he introduces too often about 'Fred in Acapulco says hi' or 'Happy birthday to Daisy in Kuala Lumpur'.  Keep those messages for before the game or half time.   I really am not interested in Fred or Daisy!
It's not about you.

So, when he game is under way are you really interested to hear a football commentator wish me happy birthday or that my tortoise and I are listening from wherever we happen to be?  By all means have the hellos and congrats beforehand or at HT, but not during the 90 mins.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

fulhamben

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 05, 2020, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 05, 2020, 05:12:09 PM
It's not about you.

So, when he game is under way are you really interested to hear a football commentator wish me happy birthday or that my tortoise and I are listening from wherever we happen to be?  By all means have the hellos and congrats beforehand or at HT, but not during the 90 mins.
youd rather then say another backwards pass, followed by a sideways pass for best part of 90 mins
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Finnans Right Peg

In fairness its a tough job id say and I wouldn't like to do it also about the shout outs for birthdays and who is watching where I think they can be more entertaining than the football we have watched this season and if u are paying 5 or ten pound to watch a match on a stream what harm does it do to hear your name been called out

Mickeyboro

Jim yes, Jamie no.

And put the commentary back free to air while you're at it.

OtherHodgson

My wife and I met GJ and JR in McBride's after the QPR Match during our last season in the Championship.  I went up to say hi and we ended up sitting down and talking Fulham with the two of them for 45 min once they heard we made the trip over from the States.  Jamie was about as delightful and engaging as anyone I've met. It was clear to me that the two liked each other and were a team.  I think they play off of and compliment each other nicely, especially when I'm listening in without video and letting the match speak for itself just means dead air.  Perfect?  No, but JR is Fulham and truly cares about the club and its supporters. We've kept in touch and I look forward to seeing them both at the Cottage again, great blokes.

COYW!!!

Sting of the North

It is my impression that he "knows" football far better than the majority of fans, including many, many who posts on here. Very happy with Jim and Jamie's commentary, think they complement each other well.

Woolly Mammoth

I am happy to hear them continue as a duo, and long may they do so.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Perfectly good English commentary team and biased Fulham supporters, they are there to keep the audience positive and entertained, which they do, rather than dissect the clubs issues.

In the future maybe we could have some in other languages too (like French, Spanish, Portuegese and Serbian) to broaden the international support of the club's support especially to fans of particular players, like Mitrovic's fans that often speak only serbian.

Friends, family, or supporters of foreign players that might be in London (or overseas) could provide some foreign language commentary for a "typical London part-time salary", especially given we have at least five french, one portuguese, one dutch, one norwegian and one serbian speaker in the team.

RaySmith

I think Jamie tries to reign in Jim's bias-which we love of course- a bit, and give a bit more objective viewpoint, though obviously a big  Fulham fan. You can tell he has a professional commentating background, which goes well with Jim's enthusiastic, knowledgeable fan.

I haven't met Jim or him, but at the home game v Brighton when we were last in the Prem, I was down the front of the Hammy End,  on that very rainy night, which turned into a great win  for the lads, which gave us, false, hope, and Jamie walked past on his way to his  commentary position. I called out 'alright Jamie' and he turned and gave a wave.
He seems a modest, decent man, though very knowledgeable about the game, and complements  Jim very  well.

alfie

In all these years I have never listened to them.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

simplyfulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 05, 2020, 10:23:05 PM

It is my impression that he "knows" football far better than the majority of fans, including many, many who posts on here. Very happy with Jim and Jamie's commentary, think they complement each other well.

Absolutely this.

The fact is they are not commercial broadcasters so to judge them as such seems unfair at best and foolish at worst. They're not going to win any awards but they are Fulham through and through.