more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Match Day Music/ A Song for Craven Cottage

Started by MickyAdamsFamily, August 19, 2021, 10:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyAdamsFamily

Bit of a switch, topic-wise, but...
Does anyone here know the people (or know someone who knows the people) who  are involved in choosing the match day music at Craven Cottage? I enjoy hearing "London Calling", mostly because I like the song and The Clash, and that album played a big role in a certain era of my life, but it has no obvious connection to Fulham any more than a dozen other London clubs. I have to admit that I think Frankie Valli's "Can't take my eyes off of you" (you're just too good to be true) is completely naff, and it does nothing for me, plus has no connection to Fulham, but I have heard it at the Cottage for years and begrudgingly accept it as a Fulham song (but not an anthem).
I heard a song the other day and can't stop humming it (and replaying it on Spotify), and feel convinced it would be a great anthem for Fulham and the Cottage (particularly with the new Riverside Stand opening up):
It's the Inmates' post-punk version of the Standells' 1960's classic "Dirty Water".
It's got a completely infectious caveman rhythm that can be clapped along to (or stomped with the feet), and a shout-out chorus possibility when the song says "London, your my home", we could yell "Fulham". If you don't know it or haven't heard it in a while, take a listen and imagine it playing at the Cottage.

https://youtu.be/Rw1qX2xKQYw

I'd totally love to hear that blasted out on a match day once, and who knows, it could become a regular thing...
Thoughts?

RaySmith

I like London Calling, even though has nothing really to do with Fulham or football, but is about London, and also like 'Can't take my eye off of you,' both songs  are catchy, well known and  London Calling inspiring, with it's words a call to arms, while the other is more emotional and sentimental, suitable for  after a game that Fulham have won.

The song you chose is ok, if not that well known, but a song I'd like to hear at games is London you're a lady, by the Pogues, but think this is unlikely to be played -

https://youtu.be/41aOYa8SLLs

Andy S

I like London calling as well. And neither dirty water nor you're a lady would ever be likely to catch on. The best bet would be to get somebody to write a singalong song especially about Fulham. Until then let's be grateful that we don't have to enter the pitch to the theme from z-cars like Watford and Everton do. Didn't Mo come up with a song a while back? And Viva El Fulham was pretty Naff as well

mrmicawbers

Clubs Anthems don't have to have any association with the club or location.Stokes Delilah for example.

MickyAdamsFamily

Ray, I love the Pogues, and like that song a lot, but not sure how it'd play at football match. Also "Lullaby of London" by them is another great tune, but probably also unlikely. People might go for a sing-along like "Dirty Old Town", though....
And it is true that sometimes the signature tunes, like Delilah at Stoke, have seemingly no connection whatsoever

Andy S

It may be what they need but it's not what we need. Good luck to them it's a nice away day

Ruislip White

I love the build up to the walk on music and the walk on music itself.  It then descents into some strange house and garage mix, which could be better.  I love you baby would good at the start.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on August 19, 2021, 10:09:52 AM
Bit of a switch, topic-wise, but...
It's the Inmates' post-punk version of the Standells' 1960's classic "Dirty Water".
It's got a completely infectious caveman rhythm that can be clapped along to (or stomped with the feet), and a shout-out chorus possibility when the song says "London, your my home", we could yell "Fulham". If you don't know it or haven't heard it in a while, take a listen and imagine it playing at the Cottage.

Can't believe this! I have advocated Dirty Water for ages, and even more so after I did the sleeve notes for an Inmates CD box set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSFZR21/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4Y4XXNK3XY2GE474551K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

London Calling will have a place in my affections as I saw Strummer do it live, but it will never be truly ours. Dirty Water is an anthem, it is singable and I love it!

MickyAdamsFamily

Thanks, Mickey.
I feel the same way.
It's nice to know I'm not completely mad, or at least I'm not the only one who is.
That's very cool that you got to write the liner notes for one of the Inmates' albums.
Anyway, until we hear "Dirty Water" rocking the Cottage, I'll still enjoy "London Calling" and have to continue to tolerate the Frankie Valli song....

Bokonon

Funny, being from the US Boston, the Standell's version of Dirty Water is played whenever the Boston Red Sox (baseball) win at home. Can confirm it works quite nicely in that role.

Twig

Don't care what else is played but you mess with London Calling at your own risk! As far as I am concerned it's our rallying cry.