watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Balance of Team

Started by JimmyConway, September 30, 2021, 10:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Been trying to figure out the missing link/s just keep thinking balance is not quite there at the moment. The back four seem fairly solid whoever you play or whoever might be injured.
Could it be in the middle where we have just not got it right or perhaps could a change of position between one or two make us more balanced.
Not trying to make this a criticism just feel it could be slightly better as i thought last night though reasonably comfortable there were times when it felt especially in the middle they were quicker to a lot of loose ball and found lots of gaps between BDR and Reed/Seri in the first half. Perhaps it was the 3-4-2-1 formation they played which i am a fan of if you have the personal.
Could Reed play the holding role and Seri with his vision play more advanced as perhaps it is vision we lack with Cairney's absence? Thought Seri was one of our best players last night but because of the pace in this league both him and Reed do get caught from time to time perhaps it might need a bit more adjusting to Championship.  My main worry there would be is Seri quick enough to get back? I wonder if BDR'S lack of composure as opposed to Carvalho's in that position is a contributor. His lack of ball retention is not the best and it is such a crucial link between midfield and attack. Having BDR in the ten position gives us more potential goal threat with Carvalho out injured but does not having the likes of Chalobah or Onomah weaken the midfield with Reed and Seri more holding than attacking but neither seem what i would call flair type? Does picking BDR'S versatility as per last night make him a must pick? or is he at risk once Carvalho returns in the ten position? Do Kebano or Cavaleiro drop out to accommodate BDR playing on the left up front? they will both have one or two good games but history shows they are both to inconsistent for longer periods. Kebano had a good game last night but opponent allowed this to a certain extent whereas Wilson was up against a more physical type where he seemed a lot less effective.  Lots of choice when all fit and permutations a plenty but is it a case of the best players perhaps not the best team?   

filham

I think the back four and the front three are settled but we are searching for the best three for the important engine room, with Cairney and Carvalho missing we seem to be rotating Reed, Seri, Onamah, BDR and Chalobah without great success , last night we tried Mawson as the defensive midfielder.
Clearly we need Carvalho back fit then Seri could settle behind him but the third place would still be up for grabs.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2021, 10:50:09 AM
I think the back four and the front three are settled but we are searching for the best three for the important engine room, with Cairney and Carvalho missing we seem to be rotating Reed, Seri, Onamah, BDR and Chalobah without great success , last night we tried Mawson as the defensive midfielder.
Clearly we need Carvalho back fit then Seri could settle behind him but the third place would still be up for grabs.

I don't see how anyone can drop Seri or Reed - both are exquisite. Yes they're both diminutive which is a problem for set pieces no doubt, but I can't see either of them being dropped, and I see it as grab between Chalobah, Onomah, and maybe BDR/Kebano assuming that Carvalho takes one of their spots.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Holders

I thought Kebano held the position rather well in the absence of Carvalho.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Holders on September 30, 2021, 01:08:11 PM
I thought Kebano held the position rather well in the absence of Carvalho.

I love Kebano. I would honestly prefer to see him get a solid run into the side, even at the expense of BDR coming on as a substitute.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

grandad

BDR needs to be benched for a bit. In the last 2 games he has missed 4 golden chances to score & messed them all up. He is currently our weak link. He needs time with the coaches at MP to get his confidence back.
Where there's a will there's a wife

millsy

Reed is, of course, the third, with Seri and Carvalho when fit.
I've been thinking though, surely Reed as the ball winner and Seri further up as playmaker.

colinwhite

Quote from: millsy on September 30, 2021, 03:18:21 PM
Reed is, of course, the third, with Seri and Carvalho when fit.
I've been thinking though, surely Reed as the ball winner and Seri further up as playmaker.

Seri is playing deep and taking the ball off the defense ,and that doesnt look likely to change as he is key in that position.No-one else in the squad (including Cairney ) can play that role like Seri,in my opinion. His class on the ball is there for all to see.
The extra mobillity and speed of Carvalho not only gives us a greater offensive threat but also provides the  extra man tracking back and nicking the ball ,meaning opposition midfielders are less likely to take risks and cant outnumber us in the middle. In my view this makes us better balanced.

millsy

Fair comment and I agree Seri is great taking, holding and turning with the ball coming out of defence but my feeling is that he can still do this from centre mid, with Reed offering greater protection to the back four and blocking runs and tidying up loose ends etc.

filham

Quote from: millsy on September 30, 2021, 03:55:34 PM
Fair comment and I agree Seri is great taking, holding and turning with the ball coming out of defence but my feeling is that he can still do this from centre mid, with Reed offering greater protection to the back four and blocking runs and tidying up loose ends etc.
in the second half last night against Swansea Seri did play in the more advanved midfield role but did not look as good when he was playing deeper. I think our best engine room trio is:-

Reed         Seri
                                                                   Carvalho
The problem is getting them all fit and playing together for a while.

FulhamStu

If you look at the way Swansea played, they were very much focussed on keeping the ball with slow build up.  This was classic old Fulham, good on the eye but a bit boring.  When we are now at our best it's when we are quick going forward, breaking from the back as per the 3rd goal.  Carvalho, Kebano and Wilson do this best.  Seri is very good at linking it all together, BDR and Cav lack that extra bit of quality but are good backups.  Reed is best at breaking up play and giving it to the more creative guys.  It's finding the right balance and maybe after a little while chalobah will work well with Reed and Seri, Wilson Carvalho and Mitro Beijing must starts.

Milo

Perhaps just sticking with current line up? Less chopping and changing, bit of luck with injuries etc. See if this team get a run playing week in week out. Then I'd re-assess.

Baszab

I thought we were really good last night but seemed something slightly lacking in central midfield

Tactics are 1. Long ball down line for Kebano and Wilson - who are excellent
2. Work one two with midfield to set wingers off
3. Central thru to Mitro to hold and lay off - but he often has 2 men on him

Nobody drives forward from the middle / need someone like Loftus Cheek (kidding)
I think Onomah can do it .. but his form is patchy