watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR...The Beatles new Doc "Get Back"

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, November 25, 2021, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

I found it somewhat amusing "woke" Disney put a warning message that there was SMOKING in this 70's footage. One cannot make it up!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

RaySmith

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 01, 2021, 10:52:40 PM
I found it somewhat amusing "woke" Disney put a warning message that there was SMOKING in this 70's footage. One cannot make it up!

OneĀ  reviewer said that John Lennon was 'stoned out of his gourd ' most of the time.

I actually read a book about the Beatles and drugs - Riding So High - it'sĀ  a great read, and I was quite surprised to read how into drugs all members of the group were.

Well, Paul wasĀ  really into smoking dope, though they all smoked it, as was Linda when he met her; and has been arrested numerous times, including being detained inĀ  jailĀ  in Japan, arrested at the airport, where he wrote Band on the Run.
Ringo wasĀ  into booze and pills, and GeorgeĀ  into cocaine.

Anyway, both John and Yoko were takingĀ  heroin at this time apparently - I'd thought he only got into that on his 'lost weekend' episode, in the States.

So, the health warning about the comparatively innocentĀ  fag smoking habit, which most people had at the time, seems very ironic.

The book raise the question - how much was the Beatles creativity linked to drug use?
Well,Ā  probably true about most 60's musician's, in that extraordinarily creative time, and musicians and artists generally - but you still need the basic talent, of course, and the ability to beĀ  creative withoutĀ  outside stimulants.

Also, the 60's culture of self- expression and 'doing your own thing' must have helped. Imagine if the Beatles, insteadĀ  going to art college in some cases, and then toĀ  work as a band in Hamburg and honing their trade, hadĀ  all got regular jobs instead.

RaySmith

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on December 01, 2021, 09:22:27 AM
There are many clips popping up on YouTube now, here's a moving and sadly prophetic moment of Paul and Ringo after George had "left the band" and John hadn't turned up that morning...

https://youtu.be/RYzjNE0_NKY

And, yes, sadly prophetic of course.

Agree. As another great songwriter, Joni Mitchell, wrote - 'You never know what you've got til it's gone.'

I think Paul really wanted toĀ  keep the band going and go back on the road, which he did with Wings.
He's recently shown regret that the band broke up when they still seemed very creative and producing good work, and theĀ  sum was more than the parts, so their solo work was never going to be as good - though George might have some disagreement with that!

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: RaySmith on December 02, 2021, 03:57:22 AM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 01, 2021, 10:52:40 PM

OneĀ  reviewer said that John Lennon was 'stoned out of his gourd ' most of the time.

I actually read a book about the Beatles and drugs - Riding So High - it'sĀ  a great read, and I was quite surprised to read how into drugs all members of the group were.

Well, Paul wasĀ  really into smoking dope, though they all smoked it, as was Linda when he met her; and has been arrested numerous times, including being detained inĀ  jailĀ  in Japan, arrested at the airport, where he wrote Band on the Run.
Ringo wasĀ  into booze and pills, and GeorgeĀ  into cocaine.

Anyway, both John and Yoko were takingĀ  heroin at this time apparently - I'd thought he only got into that on his 'lost weekend' episode, in the States.

So, the health warning about the comparatively innocentĀ  fag smoking habit, which most people had at the time, seems very ironic.

The book raise the question - how much was the Beatles creativity linked to drug use?
Well,Ā  probably true about most 60's musician's, in that extraordinarily creative time, and musicians and artists generally - but you still need the basic talent, of course, and the ability to beĀ  creative withoutĀ  outside stimulants.

Also, the 60's culture of self- expression and 'doing your own thing' must have helped. Imagine if the Beatles, insteadĀ  going to art college in some cases, and then toĀ  work as a band in Hamburg and honing their trade, hadĀ  all got regular jobs instead.

Yeah, that book looks really interesting, I think I saw a guy on YouTube talking about it and highly recommending it too, and I also think he said Paul was kind of into cocaine quite a bit around the time of this Get Back documentary, which might account for his seeming "business" or some might say "bosiness" (I don't, I think that he was doing what was necessary to keep them going, I think he did brilliantly really).

Stevieboy

Actually saw The Beaties twice at Hammersmith Odeon in 1965 for their Christmas Shows.
Nobody has mentioned who compared the gigs............šŸ¤«....!!

Dr Know

Quote from: Stevieboy on December 02, 2021, 06:39:43 PM
Actually saw The Beaties twice at Hammersmith Odeon in 1965 for their Christmas Shows.
Nobody has mentioned who compared the gigs............šŸ¤«....!!
Wasn't it Jimmy Sa Vile !