more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Women goalkeepers

Started by jayffc, August 12, 2023, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

Absolutely shocking goalkeeping again in the England Columbia game

Is it unreasonable to suggest the Women should be playing in slightly smaller goals than the men give they are on average considerably smaller?

England keeper is 5ft 8,
A bit unreosnable to expect her to get about the same sized goal as her 6ft 1 counterpart pickford

H4usuallysitting

Didn't Seaman get done by a cross/shot thing

Holders

Earps is normally very reliable and her positioning was just slightly wrong this time - like male keepers sometimes. She made a similar save later. She often catches where men might punch and needs no concessions in my view.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Can these women possibly manage to run for over 120 minutes. These poor fragile souls.

The hardest penalty against Nigeria was a stronger shot than anything in the Mens game. It is what it is.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

However short she might be, she pulled off a magnificent save on 76 minutes.

At 5'8" she is about the same height as Eddie Hopkinson who England capped during the time that Macedo was the best keeper around.

RaySmith

I think a smaller goal has been suggested in the [past, and a smaller pitch.

I think the reasons  given against this are a feeling that this would give the women's game even more of an image of a second rate competition compared to the men's game.

The keepers are a lot better than they used to be, as are the players generally, and Earps is a very good keeper.

jayffc

Quote from: Holders on August 12, 2023, 01:39:24 PMEarps is normally very reliable and her positioning was just slightly wrong this time - like male keepers sometimes. She made a similar save later. She often catches where men might punch and needs no concessions in my view.

She also made a couple of balls ups and made a big save our of something that should have been a comfortable catch... But that's fine, keepers do that male or female

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 12, 2023, 01:29:39 PMDidn't Seaman get done by a cross/shot thing

Unsurprisingly the comments are filled with shining knights acting like it's not an issue that women are generally several inches shorter than their counterparts or that suggesting an adjustment of the post is some patronising patriachal mysogonistic comment

It's not
Woman are generally shorter.

I enjoy the women's football enough to watch the major tournaments, the games come on leaps and bounds... but the goalkeeping situation is a real thing. The level is poor, and that's fine nothing can be done about that it's just a matter of talent pool depth, and something that will improve the more people play the sport. Great... But...

They are naturally at a major disadvantage no matter their positioning.

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

It just " is what it is "

No need to take it as an opportunity to prove ones virtue for crying out loud. Trying to have a perfectly reasonable discussion about the topic

LittleErn

Quote from: cmg on August 12, 2023, 02:07:53 PMHowever short she might be, she pulled off a magnificent save on 76 minutes.

At 5'8" she is about the same height as Eddie Hopkinson who England capped during the time that Macedo was the best keeper around.
I share your pain.

jayffc

Quote from: cmg on August 12, 2023, 02:07:53 PMHowever short she might be, she pulled off a magnificent save on 76 minutes.

Magnificent?

It was a massive meal out of something that should have been a catch give over now. I find this more condescending than suggesting we should reduce goal size...

If that's a man we say he's showing off making a big save out of something he should catch

Honestly be real about it

Willham

I've talked about a similar thing on another thread, I think it's a lot because the science of training goalkeepers is a lot smaller and it's a very hard position to train and while the money going into the women's game gives the clubs the resources to give the women world class training it means the speed their outfield abilities are hitting far outweighs the speed of the goalkeepers ability,

You can already see since the euros the improvement in goalkeepers in the women's game and I feel we will only continue to see this, it will just take more time.

WOTM

Quote from: jayffc on August 12, 2023, 02:10:50 PM
Quote from: Holders on August 12, 2023, 01:39:24 PMEarps is normally very reliable and her positioning was just slightly wrong this time - like male keepers sometimes. She made a similar save later. She often catches where men might punch and needs no concessions in my view.

She also made a couple of balls ups and made a big save our of something that should have been a comfortable catch... But that's fine, keepers do that male or female

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 12, 2023, 01:29:39 PMDidn't Seaman get done by a cross/shot thing

Unsurprisingly the comments are filled with shining knights acting like it's not an issue that women are generally several inches shorter than their counterparts or that suggesting an adjustment of the post is some patronising patriachal mysogonistic comment

It's not

I enjoy the women's football enough to watch the major tournaments, the games come on leaps and bounds... but the goalkeeping situation is a real thing. The level is poor, and that's fine nothing can be done about that it's just a matter of talent pool depth, and something that will improve the more people play the sport. Great... But...

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

No need to take it as an opportunity to prove ones virtue for crying out loud. Trying to have a perfectly reasonable discussion about the topic

It's the "shocking" comment.

I personally don't understand the need to keep comparing. If forced to I'd say that there are very few primadonnas and lots of very good examples of sportsmanship in the women's game. It's constantly improving and developing as opposed to the men's game. And Sweden's goalkeeper was glorious against the US!

Changing the size of the goal or the pitch would not work in favour of the women's game. It would just disadvantage clubs and countries who cannot keep separate pitches for men and women. Even just changing goals would be a logistical difficulty.

Holders

Ask the women - I bet they'd be offended

Women's goalkeeping has come on enormously and I was remarking just a few minutes ago at the fewer prima donnas. I think that's part of what makes it good to watch.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jayffc

Quote from: WOTM on August 12, 2023, 02:31:18 PM

It's not

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

I personally don't understand the need to keep comparing. If forced to I'd say that there are very few primadonnas and lots of very good examples of sportsmanship in the women's game. It's constantly improving and developing as opposed to the men's game. And Sweden's goalkeeper was glorious against the US!

It was shocking goalkeeping and I'd say that if it were men's or women's, and it's true to suggest the standard is pretty poor in that department across the board... But as I also say, not surprising, smaller talent pool and a position where height and spring matter tenfold.
Condescending to not call it as I would with men tbh.

It has improved and it will continue to proving the game gets support. I just think it's one adjustment that would improve things and not out of some wish to demean it. I'm here watching it and cheering along.

I wouldn't think less of female athletes playing in a couple inch smaller goal any more than I don't think less of the Williams sisters playing less sets

H4usuallysitting

It's not

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

Do what

jayffc

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 12, 2023, 02:45:59 PM

It's not

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

Do what

Sell routine saves and make them look more dramatic than they really are

WOTM

Quote from: jayffc on August 12, 2023, 02:42:45 PM

It's not

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

It was shocking goalkeeping and I'd say that if it were men's or women's, and it's true to suggest the standard is pretty poor in that department across the board... But as I also say, not surprising, smaller talent pool and a position where height and spring matter tenfold.

I saw it more as a really well taken goal.  ::scarf::

jayffc

Quote from: WOTM on August 12, 2023, 02:58:08 PM
Quote from: jayffc on August 12, 2023, 02:42:45 PM

It's not

Average female 5ft 4
Average male 5ft 9

I saw it more as a really well taken goal.  ::scarf::

Well, Good for you ha

I'm certain most of us would be slagging off our keeper if they failed to stop that... And completely fairly.

WOTM

Quote from: jayffc on August 12, 2023, 03:01:03 PMWell, Good for you ha

I'm certain most of us would be slagging off our keeper if they failed to stop that... And completely fairly.

It helps when you are a neutral spectator!

Colton F.C.

I would argue that the goals need to be made bigger to facilitate the scoring of goals in the penalty shoot-outs.  The penalty takers have been the worse I've seen since the... err..........the last Euros mens final!

_Putney_

I was shocked the Colombian goal went in.