watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is The Cottage Big Enough

Started by filham, March 18, 2024, 06:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I have a vision of Fulham becoming a regular premier league top ten team, that is up there with the big boys.
However doubt is then raised regarding our ground capacity as at below 30,000,even with the new Riverside fully operational, may not generate sufficient income.

Can any other areas be enlarged, it seems not, we are hemmed in by luxury flats, Bishops Park and Stevenage Road.

Look at other top ten competitor's grounds

Man.U., Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal--- Above 60,000

Man.City, Liverpool,  Newcastle,----Above 50,000

Villa,  Chelsea,  Everton ----------Above 40,000.

Even Brighton have a larger ground capacity than us.

No way do we want to move from the Cottage but--------------.

btffc

Could probably get into the 35000+ range with new Hammy and Putney ends that are more vertical and rise as high as the Riverside. Lack of space and the Haynes stand being untouchable will always be major limiting factors though.

H4usuallysitting

Thought Brighton was 30k....I suppose they could develop the Putney end

Eton White

The Cottage will always be big enough. We'll just have to sit closer together!

Seriously though, I don't think it matters too much whether we have a capacity of 30,000 or 40,000. The difference in income wouldn't be huge and it's unlikely we'd be able to fill a big stadium anyway.

St Eve

Quote from: filham on March 18, 2024, 06:53:41 PMI have a vision of Fulham becoming a regular premier league top ten team, that is up there with the big boys.
However doubt is then raised regarding our ground capacity as at below 30,000,even with the new Riverside fully operational, may not generate sufficient income.

Can any other areas be enlarged, it seems not, we are hemmed in by luxury flats, Bishops Park and Stevenage Road.

Look at other top ten competitor's grounds

Man.U., Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal--- Above 60,000

Man.City, Liverpool,  Newcastle,----Above 50,000

Villa,  Chelsea,  Everton ----------Above 40,000.

Even Brighton have a larger ground capacity than us.

No way do we want to move from the Cottage but--------------.

You forgot Forest, Wolves and Sheffield United. Regardless, we will probably get to around 35,000 which is fine

Kimbleman

It's not just about the seat capacity rather than how much you charge for the seat.
Man city capacity is 53,000 but tickets are circa £27-30 each as it's 'tup north.
If we have a 30,000 capacity but at an average of what, £50 it's pretty similar gate receipts.
Its all pretty small beer against the TV cash in any case.

btffc

Quote from: Kimbleman on March 18, 2024, 08:20:45 PMIt's not just about the seat capacity rather than how much you charge for the seat.
Man city capacity is 53,000 but tickets are circa £27-30 each as it's 'tup north.
If we have a 30,000 capacity but at an average of what, £50 it's pretty similar gate receipts.

The real money is in hospitality seats which is why the Riverside was rebuilt and why I think it's fairly unlikely we do anything with the Hammersmith and Putney Ends anytime soon as those would be rebuilt to add a few thousand seats and very few if any hospitality seats making recouping the investment difficult.

WhiteJC

Quote from: btffc on March 18, 2024, 08:27:32 PM
Quote from: Kimbleman on March 18, 2024, 08:20:45 PMIt's not just about the seat capacity rather than how much you charge for the seat.

The real money is in hospitality seats which is why the Riverside was rebuilt and why I think it's fairly unlikely we do anything with the Hammersmith and Putney Ends anytime soon as those would be rebuilt to add a few thousand seats and very few if any hospitality seats making recouping the investment difficult.

they could add more hospitality boxes for either stand which would surely add more revenue?

btffc

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 18, 2024, 08:42:29 PM

they could add more hospitality boxes for either stand which would surely add more revenue?

They could but just those boxes don't have many seats so they'd likely need to use a half or a whole section for hospitality which in the Hammy end surely wouldn't go over well given current relations between fans and the club. Also before they would even consider any of that they will need to see how demand is for all the new hospitality opening up in the Riverside over a decent length of time to gauge whether adding more would even sell well.

I'm hoping the Khans decide to do it as more of a vanity project/increased long term value of the club and stadium because I just don't see it making a lot of sense financially at least in a way that doesn't reduce the number of regular priced seats.

HV71

You've heard of Cottage hospitals - well it is now Cottage Hospitality ! Tourists and corporate money will be our saviour and future. " Swimming pools movie stars, that's the way it's going to be " ( for those of you of a certain age we are the Fulham Hillbillies)

Progress I suppose and maybe the only sustainable option. ( though it hurts )

LC

You would have to rebuild the Hammersmith and Putney end. You could probably fill in the sides and join them up to the riverside stand overtime. I think you could get to 35,000 or so, which would probably give you an extra £7m or so in revenue a year.

If we establish ourselves you'll get more revenue in sponsorships- Chelsea is a prime example of this, they have 40k seater stadium.

itombomb

As has been said, you could conceivably rebuild and increase the capacity of the Hammersmith and Putney ends.

The problem is the lack of space either side (unless you could buy up some of Bishop's park) means to add a significant amount of seating would mean you would have go pretty high/steep, probably even with a second tier - and I don't even know how you could do that safely with so little space for steps/exits.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: btffc on March 18, 2024, 06:59:26 PMCould probably get into the 35000+ range with new Hammy and Putney ends that are more vertical and rise as high as the Riverside. Lack of space and the Haynes stand being untouchable will always be major limiting factors though.

This is untrue about the JH stand, it's not 100% untouchable.

The outside facia is, the turnstiles etc, but the roof isn't, and I believe as long as the original steels remain, the wooden seats can come out.

Also, we own the pathway outside all way up to road edge, which is an extra 4M.

If they wanted to expand the JH Stand they'd have to look at an Ibrox type solution, although I fear the residents opposite will object.

perry geyton

I like our littleish beautiful ground, wouldn't want it any other way

ianthailand

Quote from: HV71 on March 18, 2024, 09:30:18 PMYou've heard of Cottage hospitals - well it is now Cottage Hospitality ! Tourists and corporate money will be our saviour and future. " Swimming pools movie stars, that's the way it's going to be " ( for those of you of a certain age we are the Fulham Hillbillies)

Progress I suppose and maybe the only sustainable option. ( though it hurts )
Talking of Hillbillies, watched episode 1, Series 1 of the Beverly Hillbillies yesterday. So silly but a classic of its time.

ianthailand

Quote from: itombomb on March 18, 2024, 11:18:00 PMAs has been said, you could conceivably rebuild and increase the capacity of the Hammersmith and Putney ends.

The problem is the lack of space either side (unless you could buy up some of Bishop's park) means to add a significant amount of seating would mean you would have go pretty high/steep, probably even with a second tier - and I don't even know how you could do that safely with so little space for steps/exits.
Perhaps some deal could be done with the Council where we get some land but, provide changing facilities, equipment and upkeep of a couple of Sunday League pitches over an extended period. Even then we could only get up to 40,000ish with Hammersmith End taken into account also. Many hurdles to cross though.

Penfold

Quote from: btffc on March 18, 2024, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on March 18, 2024, 08:42:29 PM

They could but just those boxes don't have many seats so they'd likely need to use a half or a whole section for hospitality which in the Hammy end surely wouldn't go over well given current relations between fans and the club. Also before they would even consider any of that they will need to see how demand is for all the new hospitality opening up in the Riverside over a decent length of time to gauge whether adding more would even sell well.

I'm hoping the Khans decide to do it as more of a vanity project/increased long term value of the club and stadium because I just don't see it making a lot of sense financially at least in a way that doesn't reduce the number of regular priced seats.

At a recent meeting between club and trust club advised they have no plans for Hammersmith or Putney Ends.

bencher

After the debacle of the Riverside Stand, I'm surprised anyone is even considering more stadium expansion works. Let them put in sanitary toilets around the ground and finish the Riverside Stand, and then we can have a think.

Yorkie_FFC

Possibly going onto a different topic altogether but could a safe standing area in the Hammy end be a way forward to increase capacity, even if its just 2 blocks on the outside wings. Alternatively either a 2 tier Hammy end or cantilever steep "kop" style could work. 

I Ronic

I appreciate that the way to more money is hospitality but if you lose the atmosphere and noise then it becomes less inviting for the hospitality market.
Women's football is starting to pull in fans why not develope that side of our business and give them and their fans access to the Cottage.