watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Willian may be on his way...

Started by Jim©, March 27, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabby

He and his agent are currently negotiating for a contract next season. Would be strange to say that he will 100% stay at Fulham in that case.

A non story other than that we've offered him a contract.

I Ronic

I think Robinsons progress from just bombing up and down the wing is having Willian in front of him, these last two seasons. Keep him, line him up to be Marco's no2. His skill set is incredible, he looks perfectly at ease around players almost half his age and in the best league.
   I think his comments are straight forward, frank and honest. Another plus for me.

King_Crud

He wants to win league 1 with Milwall

Thailand Mick

Quote from: I Ronic on March 27, 2024, 03:39:11 PMI think Robinsons progress from just bombing up and down the wing is having Willian in front of him, these last two seasons. Keep him, line him up to be Marco's no2. His skill set is incredible, he looks perfectly at ease around players almost half his age and in the best league.
   I think his comments are straight forward, frank and honest. Another plus for me.

He has already stated he wants to be an agent when he retires

I Ronic

Quote from: Thailand Mick on March 27, 2024, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on March 27, 2024, 03:39:11 PMI think Robinsons progress from just bombing up and down the wing is having Willian in front of him, these last two seasons. Keep him, line him up to be Marco's no2. His skill set is incredible, he looks perfectly at ease around players almost half his age and in the best league.

He has already stated he wants to be an agent when he retires

What a shame but I guess agents make more than managers and get fired less often.

hovewhite

Quote from: alfie on March 27, 2024, 11:08:49 AM
Quote from: jayffc on March 27, 2024, 10:53:57 AMHe's a top player who wants one last shot at winning a title to retire at the top... OK

On a personal level, I get it, but I agree that no title-contending club wanted him, he was considered washed by those clubs, and we trusted him, believed in him and gave him that platform again. So this is a pretty ugly kick in the teeth in my opinion, basically advertising himself out to other bigger London clubs? Dare I say it - I get the sense he'd probably jump at the chance to rejoin Chelsea and retire there.

No thanks pal, off you trot then, have loved watching him but clearly, when it comes to sense of belonging here- there's little to none for him. He messed about last year with Nottingham Forest too didn't he?

In reality - he's 35, and we'd be replacing him in a year anyway - so looks like time to turn our attentions to the next generation. So be it.
He has given us 2 years of fantastic football, personally I think he has paid his dues, and if he wants a final chance to win something then good luck to him.
me too.he has been brilliant for us but we have wide players in abundance traore will offer as much and younger to,add Wilson Iwobi can play there.

Eton White

We had this same uncertainty with him during the summer and it sounded like he would probably be off, but we re-signed him and he's still here.

I would love to see him stay with us next year as well as it's been a privilege to have him in the team, but if he really wants to go this time round, then let him.

perry geyton

Whatever he does IF he stays you can guarantee him and his agent will try and milk us for even more extortionate amounts of dough on his next proposed contract

Twig

Quote from: perry geyton on March 27, 2024, 10:15:00 PMWhatever he does IF he stays you can guarantee him and his agent will try and milk us for even more extortionate amounts of dough on his next proposed contract

What do you mean "milk us for even more"? He has been one of our very best players for the past two years and we got him on a free, are you suggesting we've been milked?  personally I think his performances have comfortably justified his costs. And if he signs another 1 year contract I will be delighted.

Eton White

Quote from: Twig on March 27, 2024, 10:49:06 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on March 27, 2024, 10:15:00 PMWhatever he does IF he stays you can guarantee him and his agent will try and milk us for even more extortionate amounts of dough on his next proposed contract

What do you mean "milk us for even more"? He has been one of our very best players for the past two years and we got him on a free, are you suggesting we've been milked?  personally I think his performances have comfortably justified his costs. And if he signs another 1 year contract I will be delighted.

Not meaning to answer for Perry, but I think there was an element of playing for more money last season when Willian was threatening to leave. No transfer fee, but his wages aren't cheap!

perry geyton

Twig the way him and his agent played us against Notts Forest in the last window was rather classless, especially after revitalizing his career after a good season at Fulham
Just saying

perry geyton

Quote from: Eton White on March 27, 2024, 10:59:27 PM

Not meaning to answer for Perry, but I think there was an element of playing for more money last season when Willian was threatening to leave. No transfer fee, but his wages aren't cheap!
Exactly

The Rational Fan

Willian left Arsenal that didnt really want him. So, if Marco Silva is looking to upgrade, then Willian will be asking to leave. But, if Marco Silva really wants him, then Willian will probably stay. Marco Silva won't be pushing Willian out of the club, but unless Marco Silva really wants Willian he will be looking to move on.

btffc

There isn't a great option for him if he wants to stay in London. Arsenal won't want him back. Spurs still hate him after he left them at the altar for Chelsea. Chelsea aren't competing for titles(haha) and he is way too old for them. A Chelsea return is the most likely though if they decided they wanted a good mentor for all their children.

He's not going to Brentford or Palace over Fulham considering neither offers more competitiveness and he has a Brazilian/Portuguese contingent already here. West Ham is slightly more competitive than us I suppose and could offer bigger wages, but I don't really see that happening. That rules London out and then City and Liverpool aren't going to have any interest in a 36 year old so that rules out title contenders.

Basically, I don't see him leaving unless he really wants to chase the money in Saudi or something and if he does want to string us along to milk us for money then I really wouldn't be too bothered if we just moved on. He obviously still has class, but he has definitely declined a bit from last year and I would expect another slight drop next year. He does link up perfectly with Robinson with his weighted balls on the overlaps and that would be a little hard to replicate with our existing wingers outside of maybe Iwobi but I'm sure we can manage and we can bring in a new strong winger signing.

I'd like him back but not on increased wages and not for more than 1 year then it should be time to move on, but I will also not be too upset if we move on. Between Iwobi, Wilson and Adama I think we have 3 strong wingers before any additions that can do a job.

RaySmith

Quote from: Eton White on March 27, 2024, 10:59:27 PM

Hardly surprising that he and his agent  want to maximise his earning potential, in the short  period of his playing time left.

No one's doing anyone any favours in the modern elite level game, and if the club didn't want him, or he picked up a serious career ending injury, then the boot would be on the other foot, it would be 'Seeya Willian, it was good while it lasted!'

It's been brilliant to see him at Fulham, and he's really helped us do so well, so I agree that it would be great is he signs a new contract, and would fully justify the cost, as Twig says.

Thailand Mick

Last pre-season with all that went on I think we were quite desperate to keep Willian although the club didn't want to openly show it but now with the squad we have I don't think that's the case anymore. Willian is quoted as saying the club want him to renew his contract not offer a new contract which means the same terms and conditions as last season. Depending on who you believe he is our third top earner behind Raul and Palhinha on 90,000 a week, this season he has scored 5 goals and only 1 assist although a fairer judgement would be 'involved in goals scored' it's all very well these players demanding more but it's the fans that will be paying it. In a time when the price of tickets at our club has come under criticism more than ever before I can't see how we can justify giving more. We gave him the opportunity to return to London and the premier league When Brazil became unbearable for him and his family and I don't remember us fighting off any other competition to do so. As already mentioned by others last season he played us off against Forest which I don't think was fair to either club. I am a big big fan of Willian the player not so much now of Willian the person. Just my opinion.   

btffc

Quote from: Thailand Mick on March 28, 2024, 06:07:06 AMWe gave him the opportunity to return to London and the premier league When Brazil became unbearable for him and his family and I don't remember us fighting off any other competition to do so. As already mentioned by others last season he played us off against Forest which I don't think was fair to either club. I am a big big fan of Willian the player not so much now of Willian the person. Just my opinion.

Not only did we not fight off other clubs to bring him back to London, he came here on a 2 week trial. That shows how desperate he was because a player of his stature going on trial is completely mad. You would think he would show a lot of appreciation for that but to be fair he has always been extremely complimentary of Fulham when he does interviews. I'm never going to begrudge him for trying to maximize money if that's his prerogative. He's not a Fulham legend, he's a Chelsea legend. I have no expectation of loyalty from him and I'll be thankful for what he's done after he's gone unless it is some unusually nasty exit which would shock me.

Coast94

He's given us two years of fantastic football. I'd love him to stay another year but if not, so be it. As for loyalty, it works both ways. The club were only willing to offer him a short-term deal so it makes sense to keep his options open.

Either way, we should sign a long-term replacement this summer.

ianthailand

There could be a number on their way. Palhinha, Robinson, Tosin, Tete, Reed, Decordova Reid, Adama, Raul, Vinicius, Stansfield, Muniz (unlikely), Rodak as well as Willian. Probably missed one or two others as well. With the possibility of so many changes i hope we don't qualify for Europe as it would possibly be too great a strain on our potentially, new squad.

Deeping_white

In my opinion there are some odd takes towards Willian in this thread. He's not really insinuated anything about leaving etc. in that interview and reiterates that the club want him to stay, which is a naturally understandable assumption that we would. He was a free agent and we've had two fantastic years out of him when originally nobody expected a thing from him. He's been arguably our most consistent player in the last two seasons and a vital cog in our success, and it seems like people have got their knives out for him based on an interview he's done where most people's opinions have been inferred from what he's said. He's always going to leave at some point, and if we can get in a long term solution this summer then it might be a good time to let him leave, albeit I would love for another year of him as a starter or rotation player.