News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


Fifty years ago, George Best made his debut for Fulham

Started by SuperFreeman, September 25, 2026, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFreeman

This month is a special month for Fulham Football Club.

Fifty years ago (September 4, 1976) George Best, who had been the greatest footballer in the world, made his debut for the Whites at Craven Cottage v Bristol City and scored after just 71 seconds. You couldn't have written the script. His inner demons eventually got the better of this footballing genius but Best re-kindled his career at Fulham and thrilled the three-times larger than average crowds wherever he played. My book, 'When George Best played for Fulham,' is available in hardback on Amazon and is packed with great action photos of Best playing for Fulham plus anecdotes and memories of the great man from former club greats Les Strong, Rodney Marsh and John Mitchell plus fans' recollections of watching Best as well.

spikey norman

Hi SuperFreeman
George made his debut v Bristol Rovers not City

sunburywhite

Oh no

Will Piers Morgan have to get these books destroyed as well?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me


RaySmith

Think I saw all our home games with George - he was brilliant in a midfield role, and still real class, though probably not at full fitness, and really added money to the Fulham gate receipts!

JimOG

Quote from: SuperFreeman on September 25, 2026, 06:57:02 AMThis month is a special month for Fulham Football Club.

Fifty years ago (September 4, 1976) George Best, who had been the greatest footballer in the world, made his debut for the Whites at Craven Cottage v Bristol City and scored after just 71 seconds. You couldn't have written the script. His inner demons eventually got the better of this footballing genius but Best re-kindled his career at Fulham and thrilled the three-times larger than average crowds wherever he played. My book, 'When George Best played for Fulham,' is available in hardback on Amazon and is packed with great action photos of Best playing for Fulham plus anecdotes and memories of the great man from former club greats Les Strong, Rodney Marsh and John Mitchell plus fans' recollections of watching Best as well.

I was talking to John Beck 20+ years ago about Best. I was asking him who was the best player he played with. He said George Best. He played with him at Bournemouth. John said Best needed a half hour or so to 'get himself' together but he then made the 5-a-sides a mess by keeping the ball - it was 2 touch so he'd play it off his opponent and start again. Some player

SuperFreeman

Quote from: spikey norman on September 25, 2026, 07:55:36 AMHi SuperFreeman
George made his debut v Bristol Rovers not City

Totally my mistake. I meant Bristol Rovers which I stated in my book.

Thank you for pointing that out.


Nick Bateman

Many of us remember the "Fulham Road Show" as it was called. Opposition fans looked forward to the visitation of Best & Marsh.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Rupert

I was at that game.

I am getting old, aren't I?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Ronnief

I remember the terrible pitch Best played on at the Cottage all those years ago. I just wonder how much better he could have performed on the pitches of today, especially our superb pitch at the Cottage/ ::wine:: 


St Eve


cwindsor

I wasn't at the game, but I used to see him at The Front Page (now The Pig's Ear), on Old Church Street, occasionally, for a pint.
Always a gentleman.

jarv

I was there too.  Sadly, I did not see very many games because I always played on Saturdays. I did go to see best whenever I got the chance.  Great entertainer.


C Block

Little did we know at the time but they really were the good old days, was it against Notts County at home that the pitch was an absolute mud bath but George still managed to glide past a couple of players then somehow lift the ball up out of thd mud to chip the keeper
I also seem to remember that Fulham were constantly playing in testimonial games such was the draw of George Best.

ffcne

I was stood in the Putney End that day.Landed at Gatwick after my first lads holiday in Benidorm. And my Dad picked me up from the airport then straight to the cottage.

SuperFreeman

Quote from: ffcne on September 27, 2026, 01:51:19 PMI was stood in the Putney End that day.Landed at Gatwick after my first lads holiday in Benidorm. And my Dad picked me up from the airport then straight to the cottage.

You lucky, lucky man! What an experience!


SuperFreeman

Quote from: C Block on September 27, 2026, 10:46:45 AMLittle did we know at the time but they really were the good old days, was it against Notts County at home that the pitch was an absolute mud bath but George still managed to glide past a couple of players then somehow lift the ball up out of thd mud to chip the keeper
I also seem to remember that Fulham were constantly playing in testimonial games such was the draw of George Best.

If George Best had been properly managed (regarding his drink problem) he would have gone on and on like Ronaldo. The way he was treated by Docherty at Man Utd was a disgrace. Luckily, George still had a bit left in the tank when he joined us. What a player!!

Bobsffc

One thing I don't think Best gets enough credit for is how brave he was. Different times back then, and the term agricultural challenge probably doesn't mean much to younger supporters, but George received a lot of them...but even with all those limited defenders taking pride in kicking lumps out of him, it rarely put him off his game...

AJW48361

I was there what an experience and at the time what an attendance.The best player I've seen play live and  people forget how hard he worked for the team and the amount of stick he took off Defenders ( Micky Droy kicked him about terrible when we played Walham)