News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


Ban on football fans drinking in stands is branded as discrimination

Started by Roberty, September 24, 2026, 04:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: KJS on September 24, 2026, 07:54:42 AMAnother sound bite to boost dwindling support for this inept government, it will drive people away from going to football if they bring this back, its bad enough mow with people going in and out of their seats during a match, plus we all know people with beer will launch it if a goal is scored covering other fans with beer which in turn would probably lead to an aggressive response, its not broken dont try and fix it 🙄


Well since the government is up in the latest polls your comment is somewhat diminished.  However I confess I do agree it's a bad idea.

Andy S

I also agree it is a bad idea. If it was allow3£ I can see everyone getting showered with beer every time we scored only for VAR to disallow the goal 5 minutes later

SG

Quote from: Thailand Mick on September 24, 2026, 11:22:10 AMLooking at social media I think he will be surprised at the reaction to this suggestion. Maybe OK for lower league clubs financially but that would be the only good reason. He seems to be trying to please everyone instead of dealing with the real problems.
He wants to be seen as a man of the people and needs to be popular. Governing the country means making difficult and unpopular decisions- get on with it man, move onto the important issues


Somerset Fulham

I don't know why but I am quite surprised that pretty much everybody is against this.  It has been interesting though, because as a result of this conversation I do agree tahat it is a non-thing really and probably not a good idea.

Also quite surprised that the person that turned it 'political' appears to have had no sanction where as the person that replied is now gone.

KentFulham

I occasionally go to watch Maidstone, no issue with beer in the crowd

Friendsoffulham

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 24, 2026, 09:55:11 PMI don't know why but I am quite surprised that pretty much everybody is against this.  It has been interesting though, because as a result of this conversation I do agree tahat it is a non-thing really and probably not a good idea.

Also quite surprised that the person that turned it 'political' appears to have had no sanction where as the person that replied is now gone.

So General, just because someone turns a post 'political', it then gives everyone else the right to continue down that path, does it?

Also, how do you know what we are or aren't dealing with behind the scenes, before publicly accusing the moderators.

Time and time again, we have expressed that politics on this forum is BANNED, and time and time again people just ignore it.


Roberty

My reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.

I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.

If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban

Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.

The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.


For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?

 
It could be better, but it's not a fantasy:

Dodgin

I can see the spray of booze as the equaliser or winning goal goes in.

RaySmith

Quote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.

I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.

If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban

Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.

The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.


For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?

 

Having a drink in your seat seems normal in most  forms of sport and entertainment, yet football fans aren't trusted to do this without causing problems!


cookieg

Quote from: KentFulham on September 24, 2026, 03:22:26 PMI dont think people will be up and down going back and forth for a pint anyway, at Twickers they supply 4 pint holders to ensure you dont need to keep going back and forth, plenty of solutions out there
Potentially you could have 3 or 4 blokes together each carrying 4 pints. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster or at least endless interruptions to people around them when they keep going to the toilet.   

cookieg

Quote from: Ruislip White on September 24, 2026, 07:21:19 PMThey'd be less clamour for drinking beer during the game if we could just get a beer efficiently 20 mins before kick off and at half time.

Crazy idea - but pints could be pre poured and ready to go, just incase fans want a beer.

Instead (in the JH), you often give one person your order at half time (who is flanked by someone looking vacant). They turn around to another person who looks surprised that a lager is being ordered, before reconfirming and pouring it.  Then vacant person comes to life and takes your payment.
 
If they slickened this up a touch, I reckon we could all have our fill of beer without rushing it, and happily watch the football afterwards.

I'm sure they could get mobile drink dispensers out on the pavement where they open up the gates at half time.

cookieg

Quote from: RaySmith on September 25, 2026, 08:52:41 AM
Quote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.

I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.

If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban

Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.

The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.


For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?

 

Having a drink in your seat seems normal in most  forms of sport and entertainment, yet football fans aren't trusted to do this without causing problems!

History would suggest exactly that.


Grumpy Worthing White

It`s great having a beer at a non league game in the stands, mind you it has to be non alcoholic for me coz all the tablets I`m on, mind you we only get about 60 to 90 spectators except when we play Lancing in a cup game.

Snibbo

Question for older viewers: Did people have beer in their hands back in the 60s and earlier? I couldn't afford to drink then, but I don't remember it as a thing on the terraces at the time. I don't even remember a bar under the stands, but again, I was young and broke. Lots of smokers of course, and half-time steak and kidney pies and cups of hot tea or Bovril. It could get so crowded on the terraces that you wouldn't be able to hang onto a pint anyway.

SG

Quote from: Snibbo on September 25, 2026, 10:02:25 AMQuestion for older viewers: Did people have beer in their hands back in the 60s and earlier? I couldn't afford to drink then, but I don't remember it as a thing on the terraces at the time. I don't even remember a bar under the stands, but again, I was young and broke. Lots of smokers of course, and half-time steak and kidney pies and cups of hot tea or Bovril. It could get so crowded on the terraces that you wouldn't be able to hang onto a pint anyway.
Never. Before and after regularly but never during the game. Never really understood the need during the match but it's big money for clubs nowadays and the money will ultimately be the driving force I guess


john dempsey

According to Police/ Home Office Data
Drink related arrests for Fulham fans are one of the lowest in Prem. roughly 10 per season.
Whilst Everton rank as one of the highest.56 last season with a further 31 banning orders made.
 So no thanks i am happy with the current situation.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.

I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.

If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban

Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.

The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.


For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?

 
You have made a fair point about Smoking, an unpleasant habit.
Especially if you don't smoke like me having to be in the company of a smoker.
The only time I smoke is when I am on 🔥 fire.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jimsbeerbelly

Stupid decision, and unpractical in this day and age of football.

Whilst I enjoy a beer or 10 at footy, what I don't miss, is being covered in sticky beer by some intoxicated fan.

Even if people aren't intoxicated, I've had it down my back before, simply because someone had tripped getting back to their seat, or losing control of the plastic cup.

All this is just aimed at getting a certain group onside, without looking at the practically of it.


alfie

Non political comment. It is Mr Burnham's idea but he won't be sitting in the stands, being that he is Prime minister he will be sitting in the executive seats, not likely to have beer spilt down his back.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Quote from: KentFulham on September 24, 2026, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 24, 2026, 11:43:24 AMAnd, what would Mr Burnham's suggested move do to the hospitality industry near football grounds??

Probably nothing, this is about drinking in the stands when the game is on.

I am not particually against the idea, works in Europe for Football and in the UK for other sporting events. I guess the concern is UK football fans basically cant handle their beer and become idiots.

Just start selling only American Beer.  Monty Python was right way back in '82 with their 'Bruces' sketch, that'll put a stop to drinking on the terraces!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.