more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Why you need at least one Belgian in your circle of friends

Started by sipwell, February 18, 2011, 08:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Mr Sipwell,
When I grew up I read The Adventures of Tintin all the time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin. That was made by a Belgian.

Topshelf cartoon. At one point I even tried to grow a Tintin haircut but didn't have enough thickness in the front to make it. Beside my uncle who I lived with at the time was a member of the why-waste-money-at-the-barbers-when-you-can-do-the-2-min-bowl-on-the-head-and-just-cut/shave-around school of hairdressing. I am sure he thought Vidal Sasoon was the name of a hurricane.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

My only experiance of Belgium is breaking down in the early hours on the way to the final, then snorting some of Columbia's finest whilst driving at over 100 mph to celebrate getting going again. You try doing a line at 100mph not easy. Almost run out of petrol in Belgium on the way back and had to reverse back up the slip rd of the motorway to get some but that might have been Holland.

jarv

Many years ago, I travelled on business all over Europe.  Belgium....  liked it a lot. The guys at the office were like the Brits, they liked a few pints after work. Also, the indian restaurants in Brussels are riight up there with the UK.

However, most amusing memory was back in the 70s....easter week-end, football tour in Belgium. Can't
remember the town but after our game on Sunday (score 2-2 but we were all still legless from night before) our opposition entertained us at their local pub.
There was a little guy, about 50 with his mates having a few. (Little = about 4'10"). His wife came in, caused a major scene yelling and swearing at him (she was even smaller) then she punched him in the face twice and stormed out. All his mates fell about laughing. We asked what was going on and it simply was he should have been home for dinner instead of drinking with his mates and she had thrown his dinner in the bin. I often wonder what kind of reception he got when he eventually found his way home.

Excellent week-end, good time had by all.

FatFreddysCat

I wonder if any of the Fulham supporters who jump started us in Belgium read this forum ? Very weird they stayed in the same hotel as us, jay had cut one of their mums grass that morning, one of them was an uncle of twins in my class at school and they had a fecking nightmare on a massive scale on the way back by all accounts. Bought one of them a pint at Brentford pre season before meeting the lovely bloke Vic Haloms Love Child for the first time, top bloke as Suffolk White seems to confirm.

CorkedHat

As Mr Sipwell knows I lived in Belgium for a while where I drank Stella, smoked Gitanes, and discovered white chocolate all at the age of fourteen
The relatives with whom I stayed were defiant Flems and loathed anything Walloon. They seemingly got on with their rural lives without reference to anybody encapsulated in their own little world mirrored in the (now defunct) publication Het Volk which everyone read with fervour.
In Australia we have many layers of Government which is often a bureaucratic nightmare, and it leads me to wonder whether anarchy wouldn't be the most ideal system of all.
But I have a soft spot for Belgium- well the Flanders part of it anyway – and I can tell you now that I know a group of people living just outside Vilvoorde who wouldn't know, or care, if Belgium had a Government or not. :019:

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

b+w geezer

If I had a Belgian in my circle of friends, my first request would be cheese croquettes, served with a touch of fried parsley. Why can you get them all over Belgium -- Brussels and Flanders anyway -- but absolutely nowhere else? (If available in England, details please.)

sipwell

Quote from: b+w geezer on February 19, 2011, 09:02:25 AM
If I had a Belgian in my circle of friends, my first request would be cheese croquettes, served with a touch of fried parsley. Why can you get them all over Belgium -- Brussels and Flanders anyway -- but absolutely nowhere else? (If available in England, details please.)

You can make them yourself. It takes some practice but in the end it is easy as hell. You'll need a typical Belgian frying pan though   ;-)

@ CH: you wouldn't recognize Vilvorde (as it is pronounced now). AFter the Renault factory closed, it became a depressing place!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!