watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Why you need at least one Belgian in your circle of friends

Started by sipwell, February 18, 2011, 08:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

As all of you know, Belgium yesterday broke a WORLD RECORD. We are the (democratic) nation on earth which needs the longest time to form a government, 250 days and counting... It seems like the politicians want to make the record hard to beat for anyone else, since it will still take a long time before we actually form a new one.
Do the Belgians despair? Absolutely not! The fact that we have a caretaker government means that it cannot do much, apart from managing the finances of the state and paying off existing debt. As Belgian always had coalition governments, it often led to what is called "waffle iron politics", meaning that if one party/region got something, the other parties/regions wanted something too. There is actually a quite funny "tour of Belgium" in which you can visit absolutely surreal buildings/roads which make no sense at all...

And so some people decided that the world record needed to be celebrated...

Belgium becomes World Champion in Government Formation: 17th February 2011

CNN vraagt uitleg aan Geert Hoste

We are the champions - the #nogov-versie

In Ghent a big party was organized in which "Iraqis" gave us the "#nogov cup". Rather than be sad, we are actually happy we finally managed to win something as a nation.

Surely you cannot unlike a sarcastic bunch like that?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

ImperialWhite

Belgium, World Champions  :Sparkyticus:

Do you think Belgium will still be a pariah state when I visit in March?!  :dft011:

sipwell

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 18, 2011, 08:49:20 AM
Belgium, World Champions  :Sparkyticus:

Do you think Belgium will still be a pariah state when I visit in March?!  :dft011:

Tsk, we are not a pariah state at all!
Go wash your mouth with white soap and say fifteen Lord's Prayers.

LBNo11

...best leave it as it is by the sound of things; keep things ticking over but without giving the opportunity for egotistical politicians with their own agendas and personal policies that will be rescinded when the next government comes in, ad infinitum.

Chuck out the politicians and let countries run themselves, well done Belgium for creating the new visionary outlook on future democracy...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Tom

Fulham for life!

Blingo

One of my best friends is from Antwerp Sippy, his name is Marc Boeding and he used to own a company called boedings blinds before he sold it and moved over here. He is the one who told me about MD and what a steal we had made. (Yes Marc is CRAZY about football).

Burt

And the amazing thing is how things have managed to carry on without a government in place for so long.

Now, what is the moral of that particular story??

Up the Belgians  :yay:

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on February 18, 2011, 12:58:29 PM
And the amazing thing is how things have managed to carry on without a government in place for so long.

Now, what is the moral of that particular story??

Up the Belgians  :yay:

Funnily enough we have a caretaker government which has been "resigning" for 250 days. There is probably nobody on the planet who has been in a process of resigning for that long ;-)

Our prime minister is not called as such anymore. He is the "resigning prime minister".

finnster01

Just goes to show how much surplus to requirements politicians are.  :011:

Mind you, not much different to Britain and the US though. It is the men in grey suits and the lobbyists that really runs the country
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Quote from: sipwell on February 18, 2011, 08:59:09 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 18, 2011, 08:49:20 AM
Belgium, World Champions  :Sparkyticus:

Do you think Belgium will still be a pariah state when I visit in March?!  :dft011:

Tsk, we are not a pariah state at all!
Go wash your mouth with white soap and say fifteen Lord's Prayers.

Sorry, I have no soap and water (for I am just a poor student) - will frites and Duvel do?

HatterDon

I always thought it the supreme irony that the most divided nation in Europe was chosen as the home of European unity.

As long as they don't take your Internet away M. Sippy, we'll not be too concerned.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

sipwell

Quote from: HatterDon on February 18, 2011, 02:42:51 PM
I always thought it the supreme irony that the most divided nation in Europe was chosen as the home of European unity.

As long as they don't take your Internet away M. Sippy, we'll not be too concerned.

The explanation is very simple:
1) we are excellent in fixing other people's problems as we have the tools and diplomats to do so (we do try in our national politics, but fail miserably). Just count the number of Belgians in international top positions (we do speak at least 3 languages and most of us speak/understand at least 4);
2) France and Germany wouldn't give in to each other as to create the capital of Europe. Luxembourg was too poor, Holland too far and Italy too much Italy...
3) Belgian politicians decided early on that they wanted to give all the buildings for a European Community for free, since that would be a massive source of employment (it is not guesstimates that in or around 150.000 Belgians work directly or indirectly for the European institutions), so it was just a case of smart long term planning;
4) they knew I would write a PhD on the topic and they knew I didn't want to travel too far... 15 minutes by tram is already lengthy :P

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on February 18, 2011, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on February 18, 2011, 02:42:51 PM

The explanation is very simple:
1) we are excellent in fixing other people's problems as we have the tools and diplomats to do so (we do try in our national politics, but fail miserably). Just count the number of Belgians in international top positions (we do speak at least 3 languages and most of us speak/understand at least 4);
2) France and Germany wouldn't give in to each other as to create the capital of Europe. Luxembourg was too poor, Holland too far and Italy too much Italy...
3) Belgian politicians decided early on that they wanted to give all the buildings for a European Community for free, since that would be a massive source of employment (it is not guesstimates that in or around 150.000 Belgians work directly or indirectly for the European institutions), so it was just a case of smart long term planning;
4) they knew I would write a PhD on the topic and they knew I didn't want to travel too far... 15 minutes by tram is already lengthy :P

So you are basically saying that Belgium is one large Civil Service effectively?

I guess its better for you guys to focus on something you can do well at rather than something that you can't, like football  :hook:

sipwell

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 18, 2011, 03:49:41 PM
I guess its better for you guys to focus on something you can do well at rather than something that you can't, like football  :hook:

Mail sent to Dembélé with this quote, combined with some Belgian swear words. He mailed me back and said he would end his contract immediately. Yes, you forgot that Belgium is a SMALL country and everybody knows everybody. Speaking of, better get ready for my dinner with the resigning prime minister... pals on a night out ey ;-)

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on February 18, 2011, 04:23:02 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 18, 2011, 03:49:41 PM

Mail sent to Dembélé with this quote, combined with some Belgian swear words. He mailed me back and said he would end his contract immediately. Yes, you forgot that Belgium is a SMALL country and everybody knows everybody. Speaking of, better get ready for my dinner with the resigning prime minister... pals on a night out ey ;-)

So a bit like this then:

Meanwhile, In Australia...

Ah The Simpsons, never fails to illustrate a point perfectly!

sipwell

@ AFC: Indeed! By the way, I am still waiting for that apology :)

sipwell

Dembélé will, after all, stay at Fulham for a little longer :)

Airfix

HatterDon

another diplomatic triumph.  :clap_hands:

And thanks, AFC, for posting the Belgian national anthem. 50+ years of watching the Olympics and I'd never heard it before.  :hook:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel