watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark Hughes To Replace Carlo Ancelotti

Started by White Noise, February 20, 2011, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

The News of the World are claiming Fulham boss and former Chelsea striker Mark Hughes is in contention to replace Ancelotti if he does leave the Blues at the end of the season.

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

ImperialWhite

It seems increasingly likely that Ancelotti will be sacked, but why Mark Hughes? The only time he has ever been at a big club (Man City) he was shite.

Blingo

Willard

This item from the NOTW does raise a question though.

One view is that Mark Hughes is at Fulham simply to get his reputation and credibility as a top level manager back on track so that he can move on to a bigger club. Which is the bigger club that will hire him? Where would he go? I'm assuming he'll stay in England (I don't know obviously - he might be craving the opportunitity to work in the Bundesliga).

I appreciate that, as in most jobs, people look to move on to the bigger role, more responsibility, more money etc. But who is this big club or will it be a "step up" from us?

Tottenham perhaps when 'arry boy becomes England manager?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Lesley has a two year contract at Fulham and I really believe he will honour it,  unlike the wag from Wandsworth  :038:
........and no, he was not sh.... at Citti his record stands up well against the scarfed one .

b+w geezer

Quote from: Willard on February 20, 2011, 11:30:42 AM
is at Fulham simply to get his reputation and credibility as a top level manager back on track so that he can move on to a bigger club.
What most of us presume, surely -- MAF (or at least Mackintosh) included. However, it won't be easy moving from us to a Champions Leaguer or even aspirant in one go, there being so few candidate clubs left. The thought of his one day taking charge at Old Trafford remains conceivable, but Fergie will be retiring too soon for that. As the man after next, though....?

His opposing manager today may by then be in with a similar shout, but while it's easy to think of clubs they might go to next who are institutionally bigger than FFC/Bolton -- like Everton, Villa, Newcastle, maybe Leeds -- that's unlikely to give them Champions League experience. So I agree: Spurs may be the best next bet for Hughes and indeed Coyle. They'll need to produce silverware where they are first, and at the time of writing (pre-match) both must begin to fancy their chance this very season.

jarv

It's the news o.t.w.for goodness sake. Any statistics on how often they are ight??? The notw employee (refuse to call him a reporter) probably asked some geezer clad in blue outside the bridge who they fancy to replace the italian. :tom:

AlFayedsChequebook

If Hughes went (which he wont) it would be Roy Hodgson mark II. He would take over an ailing side and be blamed for everything going wrong at the club before a former chelsea 'legend' comes in and turns them around (Mourinho).

I feel Hughes should actually 'do' something with Fulham before he deserves a shot at a bigger club. Avoiding relegation with a European finalists team is hardly much to shout about. He needs to get Fulham into the Europa League to get his move to a bigger club as far as I am concerned.

BalDrick

There's always been a feeling he'll take over at United one day, though this might be a case of putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4,000. But as b+w says above, however far he takes us, it's still one hell of a leap to go to the biggest club in the country after us.

Looked at another way, it's up to us, well Fayed, to make him see he's as well to stay with us for the time being. We can grow alongside each other - the other thing about the United job is would they be looking at someone who was only at his previous club 2/3 years? I suspect not - the mark of a truly great manager is someone who can stay for a lengthy spell, not just a quick in and out job. The analogy that strikes me is music-based - does a band that makes 3 good, even great, albums really deserve to be seen in the same light as one that has made 7/8 really good albums. Nirvana were really good for a while but since their demise, their drummer's band has already made twice as many albums (roughly) as they did. Not quite the longevity achieved by, for instance, The Jam, Primal Scream or the Mary Chain. Who themselves never approached the apotheosis of The Stones.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

McBridefan1

well it only makes sense if the most successful manager in our history would up and sprint when Liverpool started flirting, then what chance do we have at keeping an ex-chelsea man from rejoining such a prestigious club... I hope it's a load of shlt.