watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zoltan Gera

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, February 21, 2011, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Our current Player of the Year did little favours for himself yesterday in my book. I feel sorry for him that he has been shunted back out to the wing but he has not been offering much off of the bench recently either. With Bobby back, he will be fighting with Dembele, Gudjohnsen and Kakuta for that secondary role. I feel the end is near and he will head out at the end of his contract

According to Jacob Murtagh of the Hammersmith Chronicle:

Gera's weighing up his options. He's been offered a new deal, but will wait until the summer to decide his future.

Would people like to see him stay another year or is it time for him to move on?

As a horribly fickle fan, I would not be upset if he left. He still has lots to give, but not in our current set up I feel.

BalDrick

Same answer to a lot of players that shone under RH but MH doesn't really fancy - if he's not getting game time, and his exit would mean another, better player coming in, then yep let him go.

With Gera in particular though, because he and Zamora gelled so well, I'd be loath to see him go just yet. The jury's out on the AJ/Zamora pairing still really. Personal opinion is Gudjohnsen may well be the best bet to play alongside BZ, but we shall see - hopefully next weekend.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

I think the squad needs freshening up with younger players.

Gera has been shunted about this season but hasn't offered much off the bench so if a sub is all he's going to be he might as well leave.

A fit Zamora begs the question of how the team should be set up with him included and we saw last season how Gera is an ideal partner. It's possible Hughes will see that and give him a chance but my guess is that Dembele, Dempsey, AJ and Gudjonsson are probably ahead of him.

I favour a 4-2-3-1 with the 3 being Duff, Dempsey and Dembele in which case Gera is competing for support places with Davies, Gudjonnson, Kakuta and AJ. That really makes him surplus to requirements.

For next season I'd want at least 1 full back, probably 2 plus a couple of younger players who are genuine prospects. Some decent older squad players will have to leave including Gera.

Burt

I am a big Gera fan and would be sorry to see him leave.

However if all he can expect under Hughes is the bench then in his shoes I would reject the contract extension and move on to where there were better prospects.

WBA seems the obvious choice - he's been there before, the fans liked him, and their current gaffer would be very supportive of him....

FatFreddysCat

sipwell

I don't think he has added anything to the game of Fulham this season. For me he seems over his top. Had a good run last year but the box seems to be completely empty.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

RidgeRider

Quote from: sipwell on February 21, 2011, 02:03:47 PM
I don't think he has added anything to the game of Fulham this season. For me he seems over his top. Had a good run last year but the box seems to be completely empty.

I tend to agree with this. He does give us some options up front with BZ though, as has been stated, but it seems others could do that job as well. He needs to be playing and I just don't see him getting much pitch time unless someone goes down.

Tom

Quote from: sipwell on February 21, 2011, 02:03:47 PM
Can't disagree at this point.
Fulham for life!

MrFFC

Come on you Whites!! :)

Lighthouse

Let's be honest. The Europa flattered and suited some players. Gera being one of them. He rarely hit the heights in the Prem and was only used when better players were missing. I did like his defensive support and he did work very hard at times. But too many poor passes and too many ill advised decisions made him a luxury player.

Hodgson will take him back.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

lamby

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 21, 2011, 05:49:24 PM
Let's be honest. The Europa flattered and suited some players. Gera being one of them. He rarely hit the heights in the Prem and was only used when better players were missing. I did like his defensive support and he did work very hard at times. But too many poor passes and too many ill advised decisions made him a luxury player.

Hodgson will take him back.

I think Gera is a confidence player. He was awful at the start of last season - his game against Chelsea at home was one of the worst I have seen, he turned over the ball almost every time he got the ball. The more games he got, the more confidence he had and the better he played - so well that he got player of the season. He only got game time because he was part of the 'backup' team that played those early Europe games. When he gets 5-10 minutes at the end of the game he tries too hard, puts too much pressure on himself and seems to make mistakes.

I think he plays best in front of BZ - but probably Dembele and Dempsy get that spot first