watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our record against the top 6 this season

Started by MJG, February 22, 2011, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Was answering someone on the official forum about how we had only got 2 pts from 8 games against the top 6 teams and thought I would look at other clubs against them.

if you take just the bottom half of the lge here are how many pts they have got off of Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man City/Man Utd & Spurs and how many games played.

Blackburn 4pts from 9 games

Everton 13-9

Birmingham 8-9

AV 6-10

Blackpool 6-7

WBA 5-8

wigan 6-8

WHU 3-7

Wolves 12-11

Now what do people think that means about us as a team?

White Noise

It means that it is very difficult to score goals against the top teams because they are all so well organised defensively but if you play without any recognised strikers against them it is pretty much impossible. 

ImperialWhite

Quote from: White Noise on February 22, 2011, 06:54:04 PM
It means that it is very difficult to score goals against the top teams because they are all so well organised defensively but if you play without any recognised strikers against them it is pretty much impossible.  

But that doesn't explain why teams even worse than us at scoring goals are doing well against the big sides.

Birmingham - bottom of the goals scored table - 6 more points than us.
Wolves - second from bottom of the goals scored table - 10 more points than us.
Wigan - third from bottom of the goals scored table - 4 more points than us.

(we're 17th in the table)

MJG

If we take the 8 games we have played against them and say we have had two players upfront on each occasion (one withdrawn maybe).
They have been filled in those games by:
Dempsey 5
A Johnson 4
Dembele 3
Kamara 2
Zamora 1
Gera 1

I would also say that the other 9 teams I listed must have had injures as well so the striker issue is a factor but I dont think its the only one.

White Noise

TonyGilroy

It means we did better against lesser teams.

However you crunch the stats the fact is that we are currently 12th which I reckon most of us would accept as OK.

ImperialWhite

For the two Chelsea games, I think fear is certainly a factor. We went for two 0-0s, and we almost managed it. Possibly explains the thrashing by Man City too.

MJG

I see blackpool are keeping these stats going against spurs. Wonder if they can blow another ht lead.