watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26.02.2011)

Started by White Noise, February 26, 2011, 07:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/885834/fulham-survive-flight-scare?cc=5739

Fulham survive flight scare

February 26, 2011

Fulham's players were left shaken by an aeroplane scare on their return from Portugal on Thursday night, manager Mark Hughes revealed on Friday.

Bobby Zamora: Better than Edin Dzeko, says Mark Hughes

The Cottagers' plane, which was carrying them home from their mid-season training camp, was forced to turn back and land shortly after take-off due to a malfunctioning undercarriage. The squad then had to wait several hours before boarding another aircraft and returning home.

Hughes said: "In fairness to the people on the aircraft, they were very calm. Any anxiety there was - which we were made aware of after - didn't show thankfully because we've got a few nervous fliers. The problem was with the undercarriage. It came down but it wouldn't go back up. We got over it thankfully but it was a bit scary for some of the guys who are a bit nervous.''

Those players will quickly need to shake off any nerves as they have been booked on another flight on Sunday, which will carry them home after their Premier League game at Manchester City. Hughes hopes to see the benefit of this week's four-day training camp when he returns to Eastlands for the first time since his sacking as Blues boss just over a year ago.

"I've always done it at every club I've been to,'' he said. "There has always been a positive effect, so hopefully that will be the case again. It was good for the guys to get together. They've had a lot of games in the last couple of years, a lot of success. But they have never been taken away and, as a consequence, they really enjoyed it.''

He added: "I think the staff had a few beers. I don't know about the players! Some of the guys had games of golf. Others went on boat trips and caught squid and other different types of fish. That wasn't something that appealed to me, I have to say, bobbing up and down on the Atlantic. But it was a good break. I really enjoyed it.''

It is fair to say Hughes did not enjoy his final days as City boss, where he appeared a dead man walking for some time before eventually being sacked. Friday was the third time this season he had to answer questions about his demise, having been quizzed at his unveiling as Fulham manager as well as before November's 4-1 defeat to City. Reiterating he felt no lingering bitterness towards his former club over the way he was treated prior to his departure, he nevertheless insisted he would have no qualms derailing their ailing title aspirations.

He added: "I know I can walk through the doors with my head held high and look everyone in the eye, because of the job I did there. Whether or not that can be said of some people there, that is for you to decide.''

City slipped eight points behind arch-rivals Manchester United following their recent derby defeat and Hughes wrote off their title bid.

"That was probably, from their point of view, the result that cleared their minds of what they can achieve this year,'' he said. "They can focus on getting a Champions League place without the distraction of people saying they can still win the league.''

Hughes also defended his transfer policy while he was City boss, despite successor Roberto Mancini having discarded the likes of Robinho, Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge. Insisting he signed three of their best players in Carlos Tevez, Vincent Kompany and Nigel de Jong, Hughes claimed he would rather have Bobby Zamora in his side than City's new £27million striker Edin Dzeko.

Hughes, who is sweating on the fitness of Zamora for Sunday's game, said: "Fit and well, who would you take? I would probably take Bobby.''

clint23

:Sparkyticus:  White Noise, you're doing an incredible job here, posting every morning Fulham stuff.

"Fit and well, who would you take? I would probably take Bobby.''   Sparky, well said!  :045:

White Noise

Cheers Fella. Sparky knows when he's well off. :033:

White Noise

MARK HUGHES GAVE MAN CITY THE SPARK SAYS KOLO TOURE  

Saturday February 26,2011

By Richard Tanner 

KOLO TOURE believes Mark Hughes will deserve a lot of the credit if Manchester City achieve their top-four target and end a 35-year wait for silverware this season.

"Sparky" Hughes returns to Eastlands tomorrow for the first time since he was unceremoniously sacked 14 months ago, having lost only two out of 17 Premier League games and guided City into the Carling Cup semi-finals.

The backbone of the current team is formed by Hughes's signings – Toure, Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong, Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez – while his decision to send England goalkeeper Joe Hart on loan to Birmingham last season to gain experience is now benefiting City.

There are many at City who think the club would have made similar progress had Hughes been given more time. Even his successor, Roberto Mancini, admitted earlier this season that if City win a trophy Hughes deserves 50 per cent of the credit and Toure, whom Hughes installed as his captain after buying him from Arsenal, agrees.

"Yes, that's a really fair comment," said Toure. "They have both done a very good job.

Mark Hughes signed me, he's a very good manager and I had a great time with him 
Manchester City's Kolo Toure

"I came here because the club had a great project. Mark signed me, he's a very good manager and I had a great time with him. He made me captain and that made me very proud. I have big respect for him.

"It was difficult for all the players when he left but what can we do? We just have to carry on with our job and that is what we have done.

"It happens to managers and it happens to players. I can be here one minute and somewhere else the next. Look at Emmanuel Adebayor. He did fantastically well last season but he's not here any more. We have to be ready for that. I am professional and I get on with anyone.

"People have suggested we are more solid and disciplined now but that would be harsh on Mark because he didn't have much time.

"There were new players coming and going and a lot of changes. It was difficult to set up a team like that. Now we are starting to know each other better. I just do my best whoever is the manager. I've just tried to do the same things whether it's Mark Hughes or Roberto Mancini in charge."

City swept aside Fulham at Craven Cottage in November when their 4-1 win was arguably their most fluent display this season.

But Toure says Fulham have improved and Hughes will come with a point to prove, especially after the indignity of his exit from Eastlands, when he took charge of the team against Sunderland knowing he had been sacked.

"Of course, I will be pleased to see Mark," he said. "But at the same time I have to do my job and he knows that.

"We just want to beat him. That's the way football is. It is a massive game for us and one we must win.

"But we know it is a really difficult game for us. Mark will have extra motivation when he comes back, for sure. He will push his team. I expect him to come here and try to attack us. Fulham are doing that now and they have some very good players."

Mancini believes that Hughes deserves a good reception from the Eastlands faithful – but is more concerned by City's congested fixture list and a mounting injury list.

Belgian defender Kompany is the latest doubt for tomorrow after injuring a hip in Thursday's 3-0 Europa League win over Greeks Aris Salonika.

If City need a replay to beat Aston Villa in the FA Cup they will face four games in eight days, including a trip to Ukraine to play Dynamo Kiev in the Europa League last 16.

"Every two or three days we play and it's impossible," said Mancini. "In my career as a player and manager I have never seen anything like this. We arrive in February and March playing every two days.

"It is not just us, of course, but it's an unbelievable situation. Something must be changed. Every time England reach the World Cup or European Championship there is a big problem because all the players are tired. We are not machines, we are humans.

"It is very difficult for us to play all these games and if we draw against Aston Villa in the Cup next week then we have a really big problem.

"I have only 15 fit players. Usually I have 18 or 19, so it's OK to rest some. At the moment that's impossible."

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/231309/Mark-Hughes-gave-Man-City-the-spark-says-Kolo-Toure/Mark-Hughes-gave-Man-City-the-spark-says-Kolo-Toure#ixzz1F321SKJJ

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/178629/Mark-Hughes-hopes-Fulham-can-give-Manchester-City-a-fright/

MARK HUGHES HOPES FULHAM CAN GIVE MANCHESTER CITY A FRIGHT

26th February 2011

By Mike McGrath

FULHAM suffered mid-air drama this week – and Mark Hughes now wants to give ex-club Manchester City a scare in their top-four bid.

Fulham were returning from a training break in Portugal and had to turn back just after taking off on Thursday.

"They got us down safely but we had to wait a few hours before they got another plane," Hughes said.

"It was a bit scary for some of the guys who are a bit nervous."

Hughes returns to City tomorrow for the first time since he was sacked 14 months ago.

He added: "I know I can walk through the doors with my head held high and look  everyone in the eye.

"Whether or not that can be said of some people there, that is for you to decide."

Following his recovery from a broken leg, Bobby Zamora is a huge doubt  after going over on his ankle in  training yesterday.

"It is the same leg but it's nothing to do with the break," Hughes said.

White Noise

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=afp-fblengprmancityfulham

City ready for return of Hughes

by Neil Taylor

6 hours, 44 minutes ago

Aleksandar Kolarov believes Manchester City are still very much in the title race as Mark Hughes prepares to make his first return to Eastlands since his sacking 14 months ago.

City start the weekend eight points behind leaders Manchester United with just 10 games remaining after Sunday's visit of Hughes's Fulham.

Hughes was dismissed as City manager in December 2009 after 18 months in charge, with Roberto Mancini quickly unveiled as his successor.

City's squad has undergone a major revamp under Mancini and only one or two players from Hughes's time in charge, Carlos Tevez included, are expected to face Fulham.

And Serbian international Kolarov, a £19 million Mancini signing from Lazio last summer, believes City are well equipped to win silverware this season.

After securing a place in the last 16 of the Europa League in midweek, Mancini's side are still in the FA Cup while Kolarov has not given up on the title, despite losing to fierce rivals Manchester United in their last league outing two weeks ago.

"Our position is good in the table, we can be better but we try to do our best in all the competitions - FA Cup, Europa League and Premier League," said Kolarov.

"We are trying for next season to play Champions League and trying to win some trophies if possible this year."

With back-to-back league games at home to Fulham and Wigan before travelling to Chelsea on March 20, Kolarov insists City must take six points ahead of the trip to Stamford Bridge.

"Fulham will be a very difficult game because they are in a good moment," he added. "It will be a good game, we hope to win it - we have to win the game."

Vincent Kompany is a major doubt after the Belgium international limped out in the first half of Thursday's 3-0 Europa League victory over Aris Salonika with a hip injury.

Kolo Toure could come in as a direct replacement, although Jerome Boateng is also capable of filling the void.

Hughes has played down his return to City but the former Manchester United player is expected to receive a warm reception from fans, many of whom had sympathy for the way he was ruthlessly dismissed.

City were sixth in the table when the ex-Wales manager was given his marching orders after steering to the team to victory over Sunderland, a 3-0 defeat at Tottenham having sealed his fate three days earlier.

He was out of the game for seven months before taking over Fulham in the wake of Roy Hodgson's move to Liverpool.

Hughes hopes that a spot of warm weather training will catch his former club cold after taking Fulham, who start the weekend in 13th spot, four points above the relegation zone, to Portugal ahead of the City match.

"We really enjoyed it and it was good for the guys to get together," said the Fulham manager. "They've had a lot of games in the last couple of years and enjoyed success together.

"But they've never been taken away. It was a new experience for them. I'm hoping we'll get a positive reaction on Sunday."

Midfielder Steve Sidwell has been ruled out for at least a month after damaging knee ligaments while striker Bobby Zamora, who has only recently returned to action following a broken leg, is a doubt with a damaged ankle.

White Noise

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/76282.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I signed City's 'main performers' - Hughes

ESPN staff

February 25, 2011 

Manchester City thrashed Fulham 4-1 when the sides met at Craven Cottage earlier this season ©

Mark Hughes has launched an impassioned defence of his tenure as Manchester City manager by hailing his work in the transfer market.

The Fulham boss, who was dismissed by City just over 12 months ago, has seen several of his signings moved on by his successor Roberto Mancini.

But Hughes has suggested that City's current standing - third in the Premier League, eight points off the lead - would not have been achieved without the players he purchased.

"We had to very quickly move in the market and bring in better players and stronger players, and that's what we did," Hughes said. "If you look at the City side now, I would suggest some of their main performers, and strongest, are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong and Carlos Tevez. They've had a huge impact for City.

"Along the way, some purchases haven't worked for whatever reasons, not really in terms of the ability those players have, but because of circumstances and the thinking of the management team and the coaches. And that happens when there's a change in management."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/25/mark-hughes-manchester-city-fulham

Mark Hughes says he has 'no qualms' going back to Manchester City

• 'I can walk through the doors with my head held high'

• Hughes says he was sacked due to altered expectations

Share   Press Association guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 February 2011 22.30

The Fulham manager, Mark Hughes, believes he can return to his former club, Manchester City, with his 'head held high'. Photograph: Lefteris Pitarakis/AP

Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, makes his first return to Manchester City on Sunday and suggested he will do so with his "head held high" following his dismissal at Eastlands 14 months ago.

The 47-year-old hinted at the problems City have faced with having being thrust into the spotlight following Sheikh Mansour's takeover and the heavy spending that followed. One of the reasons for his sacking, Hughes claimed, was a change in expectations from the top-six target he was given at the start of the season.

"Unbeknown to me, I think that maybe the targets were moved and shifted and maybe the progress that they wanted was accelerated," he said. The manner of Hughes's sacking and Roberto Mancini's immediate appointment was controversial but the former Wales manager added: "I have no qualms with going back to Manchester City. I know I can walk through the doors with my head held high and look everyone in the eye, because of the job I did there. Whether or not that can be said of some people there, that is for you to decide. Certainly I will have no problem there walking through the door and seeing people I am fond of."

Hughes believes changing the mentality of the club – into contenders for a Champions League place – was his biggest obstacle. He revealed a certain resistance during his time at City and this season Mancini's players have been pictured fighting in training and accused of dissent when substituted. "If they feel they are not going to prosper then sometimes you can get a reaction," he said.

"Certainly during my time we were trying to drag it to where it needed to go and some players were a bit against it because change sometimes doesn't sit comfortably with some players." Hughes added: "There is a reason why they are top players, they have qualities and the work ethic they have has enabled them to get to the top, that stands you in good stead if you give them good coaching and the quality of work that they need."

Fulham's preparations for City were disrupted by mid-air drama on their return from a training break in Portugal on Thursday, with their plane encountering problems with its undercarriage and forced to U-turn. Hughes added: "We got over it thankfully but it was a bit scary for some of the guys who are a bit nervous."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/25/shaun-wright-phillips-manchester-city?INTCMP=SRCH

Shaun Wright-Phillips wants to stay at Manchester City

• England winger says he never wanted to leave City

• Wright-Phillips sees a 'bright future' if he gets chance to play

Press Association guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 February 2011 15.39

Shaun Wright-Phillips, left, might get more opportunities at Manchester City with Adam Johnson ruled out for three months with injury. Photograph: Sotiris Barbarousis/EPA

Shaun Wright-Phillips believes he still has a future at Manchester City.

The England midfielder recently bemoaned his lack of first-team appearances, which was taken as confirmation the 29-year-old would be moving clubs this summer. However, it appears that is not the case. With Adam Johnson ruled out for three months with an ankle injury, Wright-Phillips has come back into the picture.

A late substitute role in Thursday's Europa League win over Aris Thessaloniki was the winger's third outing in a month, and with injuries continuing to affect Roberto Mancini's squad, Wright-Phillips's services are likely to be required over the coming weeks.

And if he feels he can play a part for the Blues in the seasons ahead, Wright-Phillips would love to stay. "Football works in mysterious ways," said Wright-Phillips, who joined City as a schoolboy and has been there since, apart from three difficult years at Chelsea.

"If I am wanted here I will stay. I never wanted to leave in the first place. I still see a bright future for me here. It is just about getting chances.

"I have played a few games recently and now I just want to keep doing well."

Wright-Phillips will meet up with an old friend thanks to City's progress in Europe. He shared a Stamford Bridge dressing room with Andriy Shevchenko and understands the difficulties the former world player of the year experienced at Chelsea.

Now back at Dynamo Kyiv, Shevchenko will be on the opposing side when City head to the Ukraine for the first leg of their last-16 tie on 10 March.

"Criticism is part of football," Wright-Phillips said. "Everybody gets it at some point. I have had it, most players do. But [Shevchenko] is a fantastic talent and playing in the same team as him was an enjoyable experience."

After coming through FA Cup and European tests in the past week, City turn their attentions to the Premier League on Sunday, when Fulham visit Eastlands.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/25/squad-sheets-manchester-city-fulham?INTCMP=SRCH

Squad sheets: Manchester City v Fulham

Share   guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 February 2011 17.57 GMT

Probabale starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Manchester City won the corresponding fixture 4-1 in November and Mark Hughes could be in for a difficult time given his former club have won seven home games on the bounce. With 24 goals scored in the process, Roberto Mancini is removing the suspicion that he may be too restrained in his tactics, with Mario Balotelli, Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko all starting the win over Aris Thessaloniki on Thursday. Bobby Zamora's hopes of a first start for Fulham for five months are in the balance after he twisted his ankle in training. Daniel Taylor

Venue City of Manchester Stadium Tickets £28-£30 (0870 062 1894) Last season Manchester City 2 Fulham 2 Referee P Walton

This season's matches 17 Y57, R6, 3.71 cards per game

sportingbet odds Man City 4-9 Fulham 6-1 Draw 11-4

Manchester City
Subs from Taylor, Zabaleta, Jô, Vieira, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Nimely, M Johnson

Doubtful Kompany (hip)

Injured Milner (hamstring, Mar), Boyata (hamstring, Mar), Richards (calf, Mar), De Jong (ankle, Mar), Given (shoulder, May), A Johnson (ankle, May) Suspended None

Form guide LWDLWD Disciplinary record Y54 R5

Leading scorer Tevez 18

Fulham
Subs from Stockdale, Pantsil, Etheridge, Kelly, Briggs, Riise, Halliche Greening, E Johnson, Dikgacoi, Gera, A Johnson, Gudjohnsen, Zamora

Doubtful Zamora (ankle), Etuhu (hamstring) Injured Kamara (back, 6 Mar), Senderos (back, 6 Mar), Sidwell (knee, Apr)

Suspended None Form guide DDWLWD

Disciplinary record Y32 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 9

Match pointers
• Manchester City have won only one of their last seven league games against their opponents from London

• Fulham striker Moussa Dembélé has committed 38 fouls without being booked this season, more than any other player

• Five of City's last six goals have come in the first half of their matches

• Fulham have conceded just five league goals since the turn of the year – no side has let in fewer

• City and Fulham have both scored in the last 13 fixtures between the sides

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/25/football-manchester-city-mancini-sport?INTCMP=SRCH

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini says players are treated like machines

• Fixture pile-up could see team play five games in 11 days

• 'Every two or three days we play and it's impossible'

Daniel Taylor guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 February 2011 23.00 GMT

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini has criticised the football authorities, with his side facing a fixture pile-up. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images

Roberto Mancini has angrily criticised the football authorities in England, accusing them of treating players like "machines" as he contemplates a Manchester City fixture pile-up that could conceivably see his team play five games in the space of 11 days.

Mancini, preparing to face his predecessor Mark Hughes when City host Fulham on Sunday, is concerned his team's hectic schedule could undermine their chances of qualifying for the Champions League or winning their first trophy in 35 years.

They play Aston Villa in the FA Cup fifth round on Wednesday and if that game goes to a replay the FA has designated the following Monday night, two days after City are at home to Wigan and three days before a Europa League last-16 trip to Dynamo Kyiv. The problem is exacerbated by a lengthening injury list, with seven players undergoing treatment, leaving Mancini short of numbers after trimming his squad in the January transfer window. The Italian was unusually animated, saying he had only 15 fit players and expressing concerns that fatigue would catch up with them later in the season.

"Every two or three days we play and it's impossible," he said. "In my life I have never seen this. We arrive in March and we could be playing every two days. Seriously, I have never known this in my career. It is not just us who have difficult fixture lists, of course, but it's impossible. Something must be changed and we must start to respect the footballers.

"Every time England reach the World Cup or European Championship there is a big problem because all the players are tired. We are not machines, we are humans. It is already very difficult for us to play all these games but if we draw against Aston Villa in the FA Cup then we have a really big problem."

Mancini, however, has no plans to bring in some of his reserves for the Villa tie. "I will not play a weak side in the FA Cup. We want to win it. We left out some players in the Carling Cup and if we had not done that [losing at West Bromwich Albion] we would probably be in the final this weekend."

City have won their last seven home games, scoring 24 goals in the process, as Hughes makes his first return to Eastlands since being sacked 14 months ago. Mancini said he hoped the former manager would get a good reception. "He was here for two years. He did a good job."

Mancini said he had no plans to bring in another goalkeeper now Shay Given has been ruled out for three months with a shoulder injury. "No, we will just hope Joe Hart stays fit," he said.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8348783/Mark-Hughes-returns-to-Manchester-City-for-the-first-time-since-his-sacking-with-his-head-held-high.html

Mark Hughes returns to Manchester City for the first time since his sacking with his 'head held high'

Mark Hughes always relished confrontation as a centre-forward and the opportunity to put his marker through a 90-minute ordeal, so the Fulham manager will take a devilish delight from any discomfort that his return to Manchester City will inflict on his former bosses on Sunday.

Proud of his record: Fulham manager Mark Hughes Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Mark Ogden 11:00PM GMT 25 Feb 2011

Hughes has already served notice of his reluctance to forgive and forget, having sent a congratulatory case of wine back, unopened, to City chief executive Garry Cook following his appointment as Fulham manager last summer.

Similarly, the calls and texts from former City colleagues which went unanswered by the Welshman following his controversial sacking as manager in December 2009 highlight his sense of injustice as he prepares to return to Eastlands with Fulham tomorrow for the first time since his departure 14 months ago. Little wonder then that Hughes is vowing to stride defiantly into his former workplace.

"I have no qualms with going back to Manchester City," Hughes said. "I know I can walk through the doors with my head held high and look everyone in the eye because of the job I did there.

"Whether or not that can be said of some people there, that is for you to decide.

"Certainly, I will have no problem walking through the door and seeing people I am fond of. I'll say hello to those guys. There are good people there, but my focus is to do well in the job I have at the moment and that is Fulham."

The manner of Hughes's dismissal remains a stain on Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan's ownership of City. Results had gone awry and star players were beginning to agitate, but the moves to line up Roberto Mancini before sacking Hughes – hardly a unique tactic in the industry – led to the sense of Hughes being publicly humiliated. The whole world seemed to know his fate as he patrolled the touchline during a 4-3 victory against Sunderland, seemingly unaware of his own impending demise.

That version of events, the one played out in front of the cameras and accompanied by Cook's claim that Hughes's ''trajectory of results'' had left him fatally compromised, still sits uneasily among the City hierarchy.

Privately, reservations over Hughes's ability to deliver Champions League football were aired by senior figures in the summer of 2009, but the support of Cook and Brian Marwood, City's football administrator, secured a stay of execution for the former Blackburn manager.

Hughes was then informed in the autumn of 2009 that his position was becoming threatened by results, but when the break came, it was anything but clean.

Kolo Toure, appointed captain by Hughes, said: "When he left, it was a bit difficult for us, for all the players, but that's the way football is. We just want, when he comes back, to beat him. That's it. Of course he will have extra motivation when he comes back. He will push his team. Mark is a very good manager and he's done very well for Fulham already. I have big respect for him and I will be happy to see him.

"Mancini says Mark deserves credit [for his work at City] and that's a really fair comment. He will mean that."

Hughes's departure was ultimately sanctioned as a result of concerns over City's ability to qualify for the Champions League by finishing in the top four last season. Mancini's arrival failed to turn the tide, with Tottenham edging City into fifth position, but the Italian's win ratio in the Premier League stands at 52 per cent, as opposed to the 40 per cent registered by Hughes.

Progress appears to have been made, hand-in-hand with a £160million investment in new players by Mancini, but Hughes insists that City have still to learn how to deal with their financially-driven status.

"It's a huge profile that Manchester City have to deal with now," he said. "When I first went there that profile wasn't in place and overnight it changed. When it came, you had to learn very quickly and get on with it, and understand that it was always how it was going to be.

"That is how it is now for them and they have to deal with that on a regular basis."

White Noise

Fulham hit by Steve Sidwell injury blow

By Jacob Murtagh

Feb 25 2011

STEVE Sidwell has been ruled out for a month with a knee injury.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes revealed the former Aston Villa midfielder has suffered ligament damage.

The setback will keep him out of the games with Manchester City, Blackburn and Everton.

Hughes said: "Unfortunately we've lost Steve Sidwell for four weeks.

"He's done a ligament on the outside of his knee, so he's not going to be available for three to four games."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/25/fulham-hit-by-steve-sidwell-injury-blow-82029-28237034/#ixzz1F3ANWX84

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6778305,00.html

Hughes demands full commitment

Boss eyeing better performance after 4-1 drubbing at hands of City

Last updated: 25th February 2011   

Mark Hughes is demanding a much improved performance as Fulham seek to gain revenge on his old club Manchester City.

The Cottagers crashed to a 4-1 home defeat to the Premier League big-spenders in November, with Zoltan Gera netting a late consolation after City had gone 4-0 up after just 56 minutes.

Hughes believes some of his side were not fully committed that day and he expects a much better performance on Sunday as he heads to Eastlands for the first time since he was sacked just over a year ago.

The Fulham boss said: "We couldn't afford to have anybody not fully committed (against City at Craven Cottage).

"What happened on the day, I think, some were, some weren't, some showed a little bit of apprehension in what we were trying to do.

"We've moved on from that. We're better now in terms of understanding what we have to do. As a consequence, we expect a much improved performance and result."

But their cause has not been helped by the news that returning striker Bobby Zamora is a doubt after twisting his ankle in training on Friday morning.

"We're just going to have to see if that settles down quickly enough for him to be involved," Hughes said of the forward, who only returned from five months out with a broken leg in the FA Cup defeat to Bolton last Sunday.

Defended record
Meanwhile, the Fulham boss has defended his transfer record while in charge at City after spending millions trying to fulfil the lofty ambitions at the club following Sheikh Mansour's takeover two and a half years ago.

Current City boss Roberto Mancini has undertaken something of a cull of players recruited by his predecessor, with the likes of Robinho sold and Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge all out on loan.

But Hughes has rubbished suggestions his transfer policy had been flawed, insisting he brought three of their best players to Eastlands.

He said: "We had to very quickly move in the market and bring in better players and stronger players, and that's what we did.

"If you look at the City side now, I would suggest some of their main performers, and strongest, are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong and Carlos Tevez. They've had a huge impact for City.

"Along the way, some purchases haven't worked for whatever reasons, not really in terms of the ability those players have, but because of circumstances and the thinking of the management team and the coaches.

"And that happens when there's a change in management."

Hughes also refused to be drawn on whether Mancini's overhaul had made City a stronger side.

"It's not for me to judge," he said. "I think they're very strong. Obviously, they're making inroads into the top four in terms of Champions League football, which is what they need.

"And they'll go very close this year, I'm sure. But, in terms of their overall development (and) are they further down the road or behind the targets they set themselves, I don't know.

"You'd have to ask other people that."

White Noise

Toure: City owe a huge debt to Hughes

Published 23:00 25/02/11

By David McDonnell

Kolo Toure says Manchester City will owe Mark Hughes a huge debt if they end their long wait for a trophy this season.

Hughes returns to City for the first time tomorrow since he was sacked in December 2009 when the club's mega-rich owners decided the job was too big for him.

While his successor Roberto Mancini has made City a more solid side, the spine of the team is still made up of Hughes signings - Toure, Vincent Kompany, Gareth Barry, Nigel De Jong and captain Carlos Tevez.

And Toure, appointed City captain by Hughes before Mancini handed the armband to Tevez, said the contribution of City's former boss should not be forgotten.

Before they beat Fulham 4-1 at Craven Cottage last November, Mancini said Hughes would deserve "50 per cent" of the credit if City won silverware or clinched a top-four spot this season.

It is a sentiment with which Toure agrees. "That's a really fair comment," said Toure. "For sure he will mean that because Mark did his job and Mancini has done his job.

"They've both done a very good job. Mark is coming back here and it will be good to see him. I'll be pleased to see him. He signed me and I had a great time playing under him.

"When he left it was a bit difficult for us, for all the players. But that's the way football is.

"What can we do as players? We just do our job and that's what we've done since.

"This is football. Emmanuel Adebayor was here but he's not anymore.

It can happen to me, it can happen to anybody. It can happen to the manager or players.

"When Ade was here he did fantastically, but he's not here anymore. It's the game. I can be here, but next time I can be somewhere else.

"You never know in football. It's the same with players, managers. We all have to be ready for that."

Given the undignified manner of his sacking, when Hughes was forced to manage City in a 4-3 win over Sunderland with everyone - including him - aware he was about to lose his job, there is understandable sensitivity at Eastlands over his return.

There is no desire among the City hierarchy, management or players for Hughes to be undermined any more than he was on that day when he received his marching orders after the final whistle.

But Toure, like many at City who had respect for Hughes, believe their former boss was simply a victim of timing and circumstance, rather than his own failings costing him the job.

Crucially, though, Hughes was also not the appointment of City owner Sheikh Mansour, who has bankrolled the revolution at the club through his huge personal fortune.

"There were new players coming and going and a lot of changes," said Toure. "It was difficult to set up a team like that.

"Now we are starting to know each other better and only a civil way can bring us happiness and that's what we are trying to do.

"Of course Mark will have extra motivation when he comes back. He will push his team to win and they will attack.

"It won't be difficult to face him, even though he brought me to this slub. My job is to try do the best for the team, like every other player.

"I wish the best for him, but we will be focused and want to win the game. We still have a chance of winning three trophies."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-owe-Mark-Hughes-a-huge-debt-if-they-go-on-to-trophy-glory-insists-Kolo-Toure-article706839.html#ixzz1F3JkPuAh

White Noise

Hughes: I'll walk back into City with my head held high

Published 23:00 25/02/11

By Darren Lewis

Mark Hughes insists he will be able to look the men who sacked him in the eye when he returns to Manchester City tomorrow.

The Welshman is returning to Eastlands for the first time since being replaced by Roberto Mancini 14 months ago in acrimonious circumstances.

Hughes had lost only twice before Christmas, but his job was offered to Mancini before City's 4-3 home win over Sunderland. He was dismissed shortly after the final whistle that day and Mancini was installed hours later.

Executive chairman Garry Cook and Football Administrator Brian Marwood are the men believed to have been behind the Hughes' City demise.

But the former striker, now Fulham boss, insisted yesterday it was water under the bridge.

"I have no qualms with going back to Man City," he said. "I know I can walk through the doors with my head held high and look everyone in the eye, because of the job I did there.

"Whether or not that can be said of some people there, that is for you to decide.

"Certainly, I will have no problem there walking through the door and seeing people I am fond of. I'll say hello to those guys."

Hughes also hopes to be boosted by the return of striker Bobby Zamora, who is expected to overcome a minor ankle injury to start his first game in six months.

Zamora came out on top when he last encountered City's £27million striker Edin Dzeko. The Fulham marksman netted twice, home and away, in a Europa League tie against Dzeko's Wolfsburg last season as the Cottagers triumphed 3-2 on aggregate.

Hughes insisted yesterday that, as things stand, he would rather have Zamora.

"I have been really impressed with Bobby and that's been the biggest disappointment this year - that I haven't been able to pick him as much as I have wanted to," he said.

"Until you actually work with a player, sometimes you don't understand what a good player they are. You can admire them from afar and think they are a certain type of player with certain strengths and weaknesses, but until you actually work with them you don't realize what a good player they actually are.

"In terms of: Is he as good as Dzeko, I haven't seen enough of Dezko. I would say he's a more experienced Premier League player. So at the moment you would have to say - 'Fit and well, who would you take?' - I would probably take Bobby."

City have already beaten Hughes' Fulham team once this season, a comprehensive 4-1 demolition at Craven Cottage back in November.

But Mancini's men have lost their league momentum since going top in January, managing only four points from as many games.

Hughes, on the other hand, has presided over just one defeat in the last seven for Fulham.

He insists his side were still adapting to his methods when City beat them and feels their performance two weeks ago in nearly beating Chelsea was more of a barometer of their progress.

A point - or even all three - for Fulham on Sunday would put a significant dent in City's minimum ambitions of a Champions League place.

"We were up against City at a time when we couldn't cope with the intensity when a top side raises their game and starts playing with power and pace," said Hughes.

"We struggled with that against City, but against Chelsea we showed how far we had come, because even though - at times - we came under pressure, we were resilient and strong.

"We repelled attacks and yet still had a threat, which we certainly did not have against City. But they are a good side. They have matchwinners, they are solid and difficult to break down."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-insists-he-will-be-able-to-look-the-men-who-sacked-him-in-the-eye-when-he-returns-to-Manchester-City-for-the-first-time-since-his-firing-article706819.html#ixzz1F3KVS0Bs

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3434421/Air-scare-Fulham-switch-to-railway.html

Air-scare Fulham switch to railway

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

FULHAM are taking the train to Manchester City today following a mid-air scare while returning from a Portugal training camp.

The plane carrying the entire first-team squad was forced to make an emergency landing when its wheels got stuck after take-off on Thursday.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes said: "It was a bit scary for some of the guys who are a bit nervous.

"We are going up by train to Manchester but we are flying back."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/25/2369387/mark-hughes-rates-bobby-zamora-a-doubt-for-manchester-city-clash-

Mark Hughes rates Bobby Zamora a doubt for Manchester City clash after ankle knock

Striker only returned from a broken ankle last Sunday

By Chris Davie

25 Feb 2011 22:30:00

Bobby Zamora has been rated doubtful for Fulham's match against Manchester City by manager Mark Hughes after the striker suffered a minor ankle injury in training.

The 30-year-old broke his ankle at the start of the season in September and only returned to action last Sunday in Fulham's FA Cup defeat to Bolton at Craven Cottage.

Hughes was quick to play down fears regarding the severity of the injury but insists the forward needs to recover in time for their trip to Eastlands.

"He [Zamora] went over on his ankle in training this morning so we'll see if that settles down before the game on Sunday. We'll wait 24 hours before making a decision," Hughes told the club's official website.

"It's nothing to do with the break he suffered. He just went over on his ankle and it's sore. He's not compromised his injury situation. He just tweaked it but we're very hopeful it will settle down."

Hughes has also ruled out January signing Steve Sidwell for a month after the midfielder sustained knee ligament damage. Centre-back Philippe Senderos and forward Diomansy Kamara also certain to miss the match against Riberto Mancini's side.

"Unfortunately we've lost Steve Sidwell for four weeks," said Hughes.

"He's done a ligament injury on the outside of his knee so he's not going to be available for three to four games.

"Philippe Senderos has some tightness in his back and Diomansy Kamara had a spasm in his back so they're unlikely to be available this weekend."

White Noise

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/10112175.php

MANCHESTER CITY v FULHAM

BIG MATCH FACTS AND STATS

SportingPreview.com: 26 February 2011

Manchester City have won only one of their last seven Premier League home games against Fulham.

• Both teams have scored in the last 13 Premier League games between Manchester City and Fulham.

• 10 of the last 11 Premier League clashes between City and Fulham have gone over 2.5 goals.

• The home side has not won this fixture in the last eight meetings since City triumphed 3-1 in November 2006.

• Fulham have taken seven points from their last three trips to the City of Manchester Stadium.

• Carlos Tevez has scored six goals in City's last five Premier League games.

• Fulham have scored only two first half goals in eight Premier League games in 2011.

• The Cottagers have conceded just five goals in the Premier League in 2011; no side have let in fewer.

• Fulham's Moussa Dembélé has committed 38 fouls in the league without being booked this term; more than any other player.

• They have only won one of their last four league matches, earning four points out of a possible 12.

• Roberto Mancini's side are vying for a fifth straight home victory.

• City have kept an unsurpassed 12 clean sheets in the league this season.

• January signing Edin Dzeko awaits his first Premier League goal after five matches - a total of 328 minutes.

• Fulham were in the bottom three on New Year's Day but have since only lost one of their seven league matches (W3, D3, L1).

• However, they have won just once away from home in the last 31 attempts - 2-0 at Stoke in December last year.

• Mark Hughes won 36, drew 16 and lost 25 of his 77 league matches in charge of Manchester City from 2008 to 2009.

• Clint Dempsey has scored three league goals at Eastlands - only Tim Cahill (4) has scored more away goals at the stadium.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/02/next-up-man-city-a/

Next up: Man City (a)

by Tor on February 26, 2011

It's the return of Scarfy v Sparky but I have good news and bad news...

First, the bad news. The warm weather training in Portugal during the early part of the week may not have been as successful as intended. Steve Sidwell will be out for around 4 weeks after suffering knee ligament damage, and Bobby Zamora turned on his ankle (not his broken one) and is a doubt for tomorrow. Diomansy Kamara and Philippe Senderos are both potentially out with back problems too. Then to top it off, there are reports of the plane back from the Iberian peninsula having to make an emergency landing which is probably a little nerve-wrecking if you're on it at the time.

Mr Mancini on the other hand has only Vincent Kompany a doubt for the match, and as many multi-million pound strikers to choose from as he likes. Well, as long as they're called Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli or Edin Dzeko. Plus Edin Dzeko's found his light-blue-and-white scoring boots. Not in the Barclays Premier League yet, but he scored twice in 5 minutes during Thursday's Europa League (*sighs*) match so it's only a matter of time.

And they utterly spanked us at Craven Cottage in the reverse fixture earlier this season.

Want the good news now?

We ROCK at Eastlands. In the last three league meetings, we've nabbed 7 points. Chuck in a Carling Cup match from last season and our last 4 games there haven't seen us defeated once. *thumbs up*

We've possibly got Dickson Etuhu and Damien Duff back from injury to join Captain Dan and top-scorer Dempsey which should make for a nice strong midfield. We've no injury concerns in defence (Senderos aside, but honestly, do we expect to see him anytime soon?) and Dembele and Johnson should both be fit. Now that we're back to the bread-and-butter of league football we can ignore any cup-tied nonsense and throw Gael Kakuta and/or Eidur Gudjohnsen on to shake things up a bit. And boy, can that Kakuta shake things up a bit. Remember Aston Villa? I think we may need him this weekend.

We (well, the players) have had a nice few days in sunny Portugal and not much else. Our opponents had to stay in Manchester and play Aris Salonika so possibly aren't the freshest they've ever been. Mancini opted to play a full-strength team too so we'll either see some changes to their line-up or some tired legs. A bit of both would be quite nice.

In conclusion, it could go either way. How do you like that for analysis? To be honest, it very much depends on which Fulham turns up on the coach tomorrow. Will it be the Fulham who played so valiantly against Chelsea two weeks ago or defied Stoke's physicality to beat them 0-2 at the Britannia? Or will it be the pretenders that showed up for the first half against Bolton last week, and that rolled over and let Man City stomp all over us on our turf back in November?

Predictions then? Lawro's going for 2-0, Phillips Idowu for 2-1 and FourFourTwo for a bore draw. It won't be boring. Our games against Man City rarely are. The last 0-0 draw was 7 years ago. I'm unsure as to whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Sod it. I'm going for 2-2. What say you?

PS I forgot my lucky earrings last Sunday so apologies. Still, Wemberlee's overrated, right?