watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (28.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 28, 2011, 07:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/27/manchester-city-fulham-premier-league?INTCMP=SRCH

Manchester City let two points slip as Damien Duff lifts Fulham

Comments (58) Guardian report

Manchester City 1 Balotelli 26
Fulham 1 Duff 48

Daniel Taylor at Eastlands guardian.co.uk, Sunday 27 February 2011 17.33 GMT Article history

Fulham's Damien Duff tackles Pablo Zabaleta of Manchester City during the Premier League match at Eastlands. Photograph: Jamie Mcdonald/Getty Images

For Manchester City this was an afternoon of intense frustration, Mark Hughes's return coinciding with arguably one of their least accomplished performances at home all season. Roberto Mancini's side looked flat and lethargic, and the Italian's annoyance could be accurately gauged by the flashpoint at the final whistle, when he and Hughes struggled to conceal their disdain for one another.

It was a childish spat, but symptomatic of the bad feeling that exists between the two since Mancini replaced Hughes 14 months ago. The Italian was the agitator, deliberately looking in the other direction as he half-heartedly offered his hand.

"It's probably my fault but I'm a little bit old-fashioned," Hughes said, explaining why he had angrily thrown Mancini's hand away. "I always think if you offer your hand, it should be with sincerity. I didn't think Roberto acknowledged the efforts of my team and how well we'd done by the manner in which he offered his hand. Call me old-fashioned, but that was my take on it."

Both men came out of the confrontation badly. When it was put to Mancini that Hughes had gestured he wanted eye contact he admitted it had been a deliberate snub, referring to their handshake at the end of City's 4-1 win at Craven Cottage in November.

"In London, he did the same to me," he said. Tit for tat, in other words. "Yes, but it's not important. The result is important, not these stupid things. I think he should be happy he had a draw against us." Told of this, Hughes replied: "I don't recall doing that. I think he's incorrect."

Mancini's anger was not confined to the man whose job he inherited. The City manager was unusually critical of his players as he reflected on their failure to build on Mario Balotelli's goal and an inability to regain control after Damien Duff had equalised early in the second half.

In particular, he was unhappy with Balotelli, who went from scoring a splendid goal to angering the crowd with erratic attempts to score another from 40 yards. "It was a good goal but I am not happy. He should play better. Strikers should play for the team, not just for Balotelli, for [Carlos] Tevez, for [Edin] Dzeko. The strikers didn't work well. They didn't move, they were too still. They should always play with the team."

The criticism was justified, although in fairness to Balotelli it would be wrong to make him the scapegoat. Tevez was unusually subdued and Dzeko was substituted in a jaded performance. With David Silva nursing a twisted ankle, this was a team missing their inventive hub. The lack of spark was alarming considering this was the first of possibly five games in 11 days.

"We were really tired," Mancini said. "I'm disappointed with the result but I knew this was an option when you play every two or three days."

This was certainly a more satisfying afternoon for Hughes than the fixture at Craven Cottage. Fulham played with spirit and togetherness and did not lose their composure when Balotelli invigorated an otherwise prosaic first half by taking Tevez's short pass, shifting the ball past Danny Murphy and thumping a precise right-foot drive into the bottom corner of Mark Schwarzer's goal.

"We restricted a very good side to very few opportunities," Hughes said. "The key was keeping Carlos Tevez quiet because he is the catalyst for everything they do. The only disappointment was that we didn't go on to get the three points after dictating the game for long periods."

Of the two managers, Mancini was the more animated figure on the touchline, visibly disturbed by his team's inability to impose themselves even after taking the lead. Fulham had been marginally the better side in the first half and they levelled the match three minutes after the restart with a splendidly worked goal, Brede Hangeland setting Andrew Johnson scampering down the right and spinning past Aleksandar Kolarov.

Johnson fired in a low and hard centre and Duff, on the run, turned it past Joe Hart with an emphatic first-time finish.

After that the best chance fell to Tevez, running clear on to Balotelli's deft pass only for Schwarzer to scramble his shot wide. Fulham, though, also had opportunities, Duff making it a difficult afternoon for Kolarov, Johnson busy and elusive and Clint Dempsey prominently involved. Kolarov was substituted to spare him Duff's trickery while on the other flank Jérôme Boateng scarcely ingratiated himself to an increasingly agitated crowd by pulling out of a 50-50 challenge with Carlos Salcido, six inches smaller. By the final whistle there was more bad feeling, both in the stands and on the touchline.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944075/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-match-report.html

Manchester City 1 Fulham 1: match report

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Manchester City and Fulham at Eastlands on Sunday, Feb 27 2011.

MAN CITY1 - 1
FT

FULHAM Sunday, February 27 15:00
Premier League
City of Manchester StadiumBalotelli (26) (HT 1-0) Duff (48)

By Mark Ogden 5:00PM GMT 27 Feb 2011

1 Comment

Just over a month ago, Roberto Mancini spoke bullishly of the 'creative tensions' within his squad that, the odd training ground punch-up aside, were propelling Manchester City towards a possible Premier League title.

Yet having allowed himself to be drawn into a pointless spat over handshake protocol with Mark Hughes in the technical area following City's latest disappointing result in recent weeks, the tension now appears to be afflicting the Italian and driving him to distraction.

Damien Duff's 48th-minute equaliser, a far-post strike from Andy Johnson's cross, cancelled out Mario Balotelli's eye-catching opener and left City's recent record showing them to have amassed just five points from five games.

Ending a 35-year trophy drought by winning the Premier League title this season is now nothing more than a pipe dream, but with the mantra from Eastlands all campaign insisting that the sole priority is Champions League qualification, Mancini and City are now beginning to feel the heat.

Tottenham and Chelsea both have games in hand on City and Mancini's men must meet their principal rivals for a top four spot during the run-in.

And with Mancini complaining publicly of fatigue setting in among his expensive squad, is it really so fanciful to suggest that City are facing a draining battle for fourth place?

"If we don't have motivation, it's a big problem because we are in third position and in two cups." Mancini said. "Motivation should be very high.

"I think the season is very long. I'm disappointed by the result, but this is what happens when you play every three days and you don't have many players, like we don't at the moment.

"It's important in the next days we recover and have Nigel [De Jong], Vinny [Kompany] and James [Milner] 100 per cent. We need more options when we play every three days."

Whether Mancini is straying into dangerous ground by constantly talking of tiredness and risking a self-fulfilling prophecy only time will tell.

But City were undoubtedly leggy and lethargic against a Fulham side energised by the determination of Hughes and his backroom team to inflict a black eye on the club that dispensed with their services 14 months ago.

City were still able to take the lead, however, through Balotelli, whose 20-yard strike flashed beyond goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer for his ninth goal of an injury-hit season.

It was a stunning strike by the Italian, but the brilliance quickly evaporated and another moody, surly performance ensued.

His moping demeanour appeared to spread to Carlos Tévez and Edin Dzeko, who was substituted on the hour, and Mancini was not sparing in his criticism of Balotelli and his strike partners.

Mancini said: "He [Balotelli] scored a good goal but I am not happy. He should play well, better than today.

"For the strikers it is important to score, but strikers should also play for the team. You cannot always play well, but the attitude is always important. If you don't have a good attitude, it is difficult to play with three strikers."

Dzeko's £27 million arrival from Wolfsburg has yet to spark the goal rush that had been anticipated by Mancini. If anything, the Bosnian's presence has complicated matters.

City do not flow like Arsenal or assert collective pressure like Manchester United and Fulham quickly realised that the hosts were vulnerable to counter-attacks.

And it was from such a route that Duff scored the goal which ultimately earned Fulham a point. Brede Hangeland's searching pass forward found Johnson on the right and the former England forward crossed first time to the far post, where Duff scored from three yards.

Fulham were lifted by the goal and they proceeded to dominate, with City only testing Schwarzer through Tévez and Aleksandar Kolarov.

The fear for City is that the same thing could happen to their season, but the sooner Mancini stops talking about tiredness, the better. Otherwise, his players will start to believe it.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/city-feud-stirred-as-mancini-and-hughes-clash-2227475.html

City feud stirred as Mancini and Hughes clash

Manchester City 1 Fulham 1

By Ian Herbert at Eastlands

Monday, 28 February 2011

Maybe Mark Hughes harbours more indignation than we know at Roberto Mancini's appointment to the job he was not allowed to finish. Maybe Mancini harbours more concern than we know about the distance left to travel. Either way, the antipathy between the two was all too evident last night as the Italian's half-hearted acceptance of a handshake prompted his predecessor to accuse him of a lack of grace.

Hughes's Fulham side had just compounded the sense that City are heading towards another anxious spring when he extended a hand and, when Mancini refused to look him in the eye on accepting it, he snatched it away. A diplomatic incident then played out, in which Mancini first accused Hughes of the same offence when his City side beat Fulham 4-1 at Craven Cottage in November. "I heard that he said something but I don't understand. He did the same in London. He should be happy he got a draw against us," he said.

It was petty fare from Mancini, who surrendered the high ground to Hughes. "It's probably my fault again but I'm a little bit old-fashioned," the Welshman contended. "I always think if you offer your hand, it should be accepted regardless of the circumstances. I had to offer my hand and do it with sincerity when my team was beaten 4-1 by Roberto's. On the day I was disappointed obviously but I acknowledged that his team was better and he deserved a handshake with sincerity. Maybe I misread it, but I just didn't think Roberto acknowledged the efforts of my team and how well we'd done today." And of Mancini's comments about Craven Cottage: "I don't recall doing that. I think he's incorrect."

The spat, which left Mancini's assistant David Platt running down the tunnel to play the peacemaker, occurred on the same patch of turf where Hughes ironically waved Arsène Wenger off down the tunnel after he has refused a hand when City put Arsenal out of the Carling Cup in December 2009, then insisting that the Frenchman "doesn't know how to behave."

The real point lay in Mancini's declaration to journalists that "these stupid things" were "probably the best thing in the match." City's performance was so stultifyingly flat that the anxiety beginning to creep around east Manchester is that another Champions League 'knock-out' game with Tottenham – who they face in mid-April – appears on the cards. City have taken five points from five Premier League games now and Mancini is yet to work out how to arrange the £165m of manpower purchased since Hughes left town. Carlos Tevez, a legacy of the Hughes era, is in throes of a dip in form in the past month and no one seems capable of filling the breach.

A week ago, Edin Dzeko seemed to be the ideal strike partner for the captain. Here, Mario Balotelli, starting on the left of a three-man line behind Dzeko, looked marginally better. His first-half goal certainly demonstrated why the City manager has such faith in him. A casual exchange of passes with Tevez and Balotelli was cutting past Danny Murphy into a shooting position. His spatial awareness was superb as, with minimal backlift, he thumped his ninth goal in 11 starts into the bottom left had corner of Mark Schwarzer's net.

There were brief flashes of inspiration after that – a fine second-half pass sent Tevez in for a shot which Schwarzer pushed aside – but Balotelli was more often frustrating and Manini was dissatisfied.

Asked if he was happy with Italian, he said: "No. He scored a good goal but I am not happy. He should play well. Better than today. For the strikers it is important to score. But strikers should also play for the team. Not just for Balotelli, for Carlos and Dzeko."

It was a strong rebuke, no doubt designed to provoke the same reaction that Mancini received from Adam Johnson when he publicly censured him earlier this season. Mancini has been frustrated by Balotelli for some weeks, considering his nonchalant response to a lingering knee injury to be unwelcome. The striker's yellow card for a needless trip on Damien Duff takes him to seven yellows and a red.

"Sometimes players can play badly," Mancini said. "You cannot always play well. But the attitude is always important. If you don't have a good attitude, it is difficult to play with three strikers. If you have three strikers on the pitch, they should work with the team, not only when we have the ball, but also when we lose it. Strikers should work with other players."

All of which explained why the hand he was offered may have not been that welcome. It had been a year and 70 days since Hughes last settled into a Manchester City dugout and there was certainly no local sentiment in the City reception for him. But the team ethic was apparent in the way Fulham responded to his team-talk. The visitors needed only three minutes after the interval to draw level, Andrew Johnson spinning past Aleksandr Kolarov to race on to Brede Hangeland's fine through ball and cross for Duff to strike home first time.

It means Hughes could depart with his head held high. Leaving Mancini behind with all the pressure, there might even have been a part of Hughes that reflected he was better off out of this place.

Booked: Man City Balotelli. Fulham Murphy, A Johnson.

Man of the match Murphy

Referee P Walton (Northants)

Att 43,077

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3435977/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1.html

Manchester City 1 Fulham 1

By NEIL CUSTIS

Published: 27 Feb 2011

Add a comment (37)

MARK HUGHES will have just loved this.

It was a point towards safety for his Fulham team - and another point made by the man prematurely dumped by City's owners.

Sparky's bitterness at his sacking in December 2009 still burns away and it all came out at the final whistle.                     

Hughes shook the hand of City boss Roberto Mancini - who knew he was replacing Sparky before the Welshman was aware he was going to be sacked.

Mancini did not look at him, so Hughes ripped his hand from the Italian's grasp and there was very nearly a major scene.

Hughes went off down the tunnel, Mancini went after him shouting something the Fulham boss could not make out.

Sparky left his staff, many of whom were also sacked by City, to celebrate a good point and a good performance.

If Hughes had one word of advice for Mancini it will be to watch his back.The Eastlands outfit have taken just five points from the last 15, ending their title hopes and leaving them in a scrap with Spurs and Chelsea for the last two Champions League spots.

They also have to regroup quickly before facing Aston Villa in Wednesday's FA Cup fifth round clash. Lose that and the pressure will really be on.
Of course it would be ridiculous to replace Mancini even if a top-four spot was not achieved this term.

He has put together a good team which is tough to beat and undoubtedly going places.

Then again it was daft to get rid of Hughes after all his good work.

The most worrying aspect of yesterday was how flat City were.

Mancini will argue that it is down to tiredness and undoubtedly they have had a punishing schedule of late not helped by two cup draws against Leicester and Notts County that led to replays.

Yet, surely, this is what they want to be faced with.

After all, the reason Manchester United and Chelsea have similar schedules is because they are successful and in Europe.

Too often this season City have taken their foot off the pedal when facing opposition they expect to beat. They drew at home to Blackburn and Birmingham and lost to Everton.

Now two points surrendered to a team who have won only once away all season in the league.

It looked like plain sailing after City took the lead with a cracking goal from Mario Balotelli on 25 minutes.

He exchanged passes with Carlos Tevez before touching the ball away from Danny Murphy and releasing a powerful low drive from 20 yards into the bottom far corner.

Yet with the exception of one through ball the Italian hardly did anything after that.

Too often he just expects things to happen and does not work to make them happen.

He looks sulky and doesn't work and Mancini was understandably disappointed with him.

Tevez was putting in his usual shift. At one stage he even looked questioningly at Edin Dzeko as if to ask why he wasn't doing a bit more of the same.

After Dzeko's two goals in midweek this was a poor performance from the Bosnian and he has just come off a winter break in Germany.

He was off after an hour, replaced by Patrick Vieira.

Fulham had come out after the break looking visibly charged up and within two minutes they were level.

Andrew Johnson broke down the right and fired over a cross which Damien Duff met on the full to bury past Joe Hart.

City tried to get their lead back.

On 55 minutes Brede Hangeland slipped, Pablo Zabaleta picked up the ball and pulled a cross back from the byline to Balotelli.

The Italian completely miskicked his effort, sending the ball spinning wide.

Six minutes later Balotelli slipped Tevez through only for the Argentine to scuff his shot, allowing Mark Schwarzer to tip it round a post.

Aleksandar Kolarov then had a long-range drive tipped over by the Fulham goalkeeper.

It was actually Fulham who were playing the better football and it needed some good defensive work from the City back four to keep clearing their lines.

Hughes said before the game that he could walk back into Eastlands with his head held high.

Last night he could leave doing the same, with a wry smile too.

DREAM TEAM RATINGS

STAR MAN - DAMIEN DUFF (Fulham)

MAN CITY: Hart 6, Boateng 5, K Toure 6, Lescott 6, Kolarov 5 (Milner 5), Y Toure 5, Barry 6, Zabaleta 5, Tevez 6, Balotelli 6, Dzeko 5 (Vieira 6). Subs not used: Taylor, Wright-Phillips, Wabara, Guidetti, Jo. Booked: Balotelli.

FULHAM: Schwarzer 7, Baird 6, Hughes 6, Hangeland 7, Salcido 6, Duff 7, Etuhu 6, Murphy 7, Dempsey 5, Dembele 6, Johnson 6 (Gudjohnsen 5). Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Gera, Kakuta, Greening, Davies. Booked: Johnson, Murphy.

REF: P Walton 6

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/goalies-and-percentages/

Goalies and Percentages

Filed under: Analysis — timmyg @ 3:36 am

Although we had a match today, all the Carling Cup Final talk about goalies and Arsenal got me thinking. Below are charts of Fulham's and the Sky Four's starting goalies since 2005-06 (or, the first season Arsenal began their current trophy-less streak). (Ed. if not embedded, just follow the link. Anyone know how to fix this?)

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AkoETNU5aZzydE1Xb1VxZzJaVHhDT21mV0psOVNTdGc&output=html&widget=true

Considering the number of starts include every competition, and thus each team plays a different amount of games each season depending on their various domestic and international cup campaigns, the key is obviously the percentage(s). A high percentage often means stability. Stability often means success.

In each of Chelsea's and United's title winning season, their #1 goalie started just about 75% of the matches. Liverpool haven't won a title — they however did win an FA Cup and make an CL Final appearance in this span — yet they still sport a pretty damn good percentage with Reina. Meanwhile, Arsenal are looking at a fourth straight season of their #1 not even hitting that 75% threshold. Which is probably why they haven't won a title in this span nor made any final appearance since 2006.

For Fulham, just looking at the numbers shows this is really Schwarzer's job. Had he not gone to Qatar for the Asian Cup, his percentage could easily be above 85% this season. Although Stockdale has shown immense promise, and Mark is the biannual subject of transfer talk, we may miss him more than we think if he ever does leave.

Just to add a little context, I tried to think of a struggling team that has used a lot of goalies. But compiling all this data was a bit cumbersome, so I just used Derby's 2006-07 season to show the nadir. Boy were they a mess.

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/231686/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-Angry-managers-share-the-points/

MANCHESTER CITY 1 FULHAM 1: ANGRY MANAGERS SHARE THE POINTS 

Monday February 28,2011

By Richard Tanner 

MANCHESTER CITY 1 -- FULHAM 1

The lingering tensions  between Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini erupted after Fulham  dented Manchester City's top-four hopes.

Fulham boss Hughes accused the man who took his job at City of a lack of sincerity after they had a touchline spat at the end of this niggling encounter.

Hughes was furious when Mancini proffered a half-hearted handshake and neither looked him in the eye nor congratulated him on his team's performance.

He jerked his hand away in anger and pointed to his eyes as he stalked off down the tunnel.

"I'm a bit old fashioned," he said. "I always think if you offer your hand, it should be accepted regardless of the circumstances. Sometimes it's difficult. I had to offer my hand and do it with sincerity when my team were beaten 4-1 by Roberto's at Craven Cottage.

"On the day I was disappointed but I acknowledged that his side were better and he deserved my handshake with sincerity. Maybe I misread it, but I didn't think Roberto acknowledged the efforts of my team, and how well we had done, by the manner of the way he offered his hand."

Mancini suggested it was a tit-for-tat response because he claimed Hughes had snubbed him in a similar fashion after that Craven Cottage showdown – which Hughes denies.

"He did the same to me in London," said Mancini. "I heard he said something today but I didn't understand. He should be happy he got a draw against us. The result is more important than these stupid things."

It is clear the pair have little time for each other, with Hughes resenting the way Mancini was tapped up for his job long before he was sacked 14 months ago.   

Each has previous when it comes to post-match touchline managerial protocol. Mancini had a bust-up with Everton manager David Moyes last season, while Hughes has twice had spats with Tony Pulis of Stoke. He also once sarcastically waved Arsene Wenger down the tunnel after the Arsenal boss had disappeared for the dressing rooms without shaking his hand, and during his Blackburn days there were verbals with Gunners skipper Cesc Fabregas.

City boss Mancini's anger was directed more at Mario Balotelli, who scored a cracking goal but did little else, as well as a fixture and injury pile-up.

With David Silva joining Adam Johnson on the injury list, Mancini played Balotelli with Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko but was not pleased by their collective efforts.

"Mario scored a good goal but I am not happy with him," he said. "He should play better. For the strikers, it is important to score. But strikers should also play for the team. That applies not just to Balotelli but also to Tevez and Dzeko.

"You cannot always play well. But attitude is always important. If you don't have a good attitude, it is difficult to play with three strikers. If you have three, they should work with the team not only when we have the ball but when we lose it. Strikers should work with other players."

Balotelli scored against the run of play from the edge of the area but even that failed to lift either him or his team-mates.

The visitors deservedly pulled level two minutes into the second half when Damien Duff put away Andy Johnson's cross.

City missed the creativity of Silva and struggled to respond.

Mark Schwarzer thwarted Tevez's solitary effort of the match and also a long-range volley from Aleksander Kolarov. But City have taken only five points from 15. The title looks out of reach and they are now looking over their shoulders at Tottenham and Chelsea. But they must lift themselves for the cup tie at home to Aston Villa on Wednesday.

"I'm disappointed, but I knew this is what happens when you play every three days and you don't have many players because of injuries," he said.

If Mancini was left frustrated, Hughes felt vindicated. He had said he could go to Eastlands with his head held high and look people in the eye but was not sure if people there could do the same. He left with a smile and a glow of satisfaction.

ManCHESTER City (4-3-3): Hart 6; Boateng 5, K Toure 5, Lescott 7, Kolarov 5 (Milner 76, 5); Y Toure 6, Barry 6, Zabaleta 5, Balotelli 5, Tevez 5, Dzeko 4 (Vieira 60, 6). Booked: Y Toure. Goal: Balotelli 26.

Fulham (4-4-2): Schwarzer 7; Baird 6, Hughes 7, Hangeland 8, Salcido 6; Duff 7, Etuhu 6, Murphy 7, Dempsey 6; Dembele 6, Johnson 6 (Gudjohnsen 78). Goal: Duff 47.

Referee: P Walton (Northamptonshire).

Man City 1

Fulham 1

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/231686/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-Angry-managers-share-the-points/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-Angry-managers-share-the-points#ixzz1FEqAhcQ2

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/178941/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-Hughes-men-shake-City-title-dream/

MANCHESTER CITY 1 FULHAM 1: HUGHES MEN SHAKE CITY TITLE DREAM

28th February 2011

By Jeremy Cross

MANCHESTER CITY 1 -- FULHAM 1

MARK HUGHES returned to haunt Eastlands as Fulham left Roberto Mancini's  fading title hopes in ruins.

Hughes has spent the last 14 months seething at Manchester City's decision to axe him out of the blue.

But he had the last laugh on his former club yesterday when Damien Duff dished out the revenge on his behalf with a second-half equaliser to earn Fulham a deserved point.

And Hughes showed how much it meant to him by dishing out some verbals to his opposite number at the final whistle after the Italian's half-hearted handshake.

Hughes said: "I'm a little bit old- fashioned. I always think if you offer your hand, it should be accepted regardless of the circumstances.

"I had to offer my hand and do it with sincerity when my team was beaten 4-1 by Roberto's (at Craven Cottage).

"On the day I was disappointed obviously, but I acknowledged that his team was better and he deserved a handshake with sincerity.

"Maybe I misread it, but I just didn't think Roberto acknowledged the efforts of my team and how well we'd done, by the manner of the way he offered his hand.

"I don't have any regrets. The only disappointment is that we didn't go on to take all three points.

"City are a fantastic club. There are great people here, who I was really fond off. It's great to see them again.

"Everybody has pride and you want to be acknowledged for how you do your job and go about your business, so it was important from that respect.

"It was not just about me it was about my staff and their families. It was really important to come here and put in a really good performance and get a positive result."

Mario Balotelli had fired City ahead with his ninth goal of the season, but Mancini's men never looked like title contenders as Duff hit back two minutes into the second half with his second goal of the season.

The stalemate leaves City 10 points behind bitter rivals Manchester United, having played a game more.

The big spenders have now dropped 10 points in the last five games and there is every chance Spurs and Chelsea will fancy their chances of catching them in the race for fourth or better.

The setback left Mancini claiming his stars are tired, while he was also less then impressed with Balotelli's contribution. He said: "I'm disappointed, but I know this can happen when we have to play every three days.

"In the second half we were so tired. It's important in the next few days that we can recover some players. Motivation is a big problem.

"But we are third and still in two cups, so it should be very high. I don't know what he (Hughes) said. I heard him say something, but I don't know what it was. He (Balotelli) scored a good goal, but I am not happy. He should play well, better than today. For the strikers it is important to score, but strikers should also play for the team. Mario can play better."

Hughes' men threatened to strike first when Carlos Salcido beat Jerome Boateng but saw his cross float wide.

Moments later Danny Murphy fired a drive just over the bar as City struggled to get out of first gear. Mancini was going mad on the touchline, but it made no difference as Mouassa Dembele tested Joe Hart with another effort. But from out of the blue the home side took the lead on 26 minutes with their first real attack of the game.

Carlos Tevez laid the ball off to Balotelli, who brushed aside the feeble challenge of Murphy before drilling a low shot past Mark Schwarzer into the bottom corner.

But Hughes' men started the second half like a house on fire and drew level.

Brede Hangeland released Andy Johnson down the right and the striker looked up to find Duff with a pinpoint cross, which he finished with ease from close range.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/27/duff-earns-fulham-a-point-on-hughes-return-to-manchester-city-82029-28247402/

Duff earns Fulham a point on Hughes' return to Manchester City

By Matt Lewis

Feb 27 2011

DAMIEN Duff rescued a point for Fulham at Manchester City this afternoon in Mark's Hughes' first return to Eastlands since his dismissal in December 2009.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland flyer slotted past Joe Hart three minutes after the break to cancel out Mario Balotelli's sensational opener.

In a quiet first-half, Balotelli produced a moment of genius on 26 minutes as he drifted past Danny Murphy before blasting the ball past Mark Schwarzer from distance.

City failed to build on their lead and showed signs of fatigue from their midweek Europa League clash with Aris Salonika on Thursday.

And Fulham made their wealthy opponents pay with the second-half just three minutes old.

Andy Johnson latched onto a long through ball before flashing in a low cross that found its way to Duff and the Irishman made no mistake from seven yards.

City searched for a winner but Schwarzer produced smart saves to deny Carlos Tevez and then Aleksandar Kolarov and ensure Hughes did not leave Eastlands empty handed.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/27/duff-earns-fulham-a-point-on-hughes-return-to-manchester-city-82029-28247402/#ixzz1FEsNkLF6

White Noise

Man City 1 Fulham 1: Mancini and Hughes fail to see eye to eye in Eastlands bust-up

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 3:00 AM on 28th February 2011

Mark Hughes has waited 14 long months to return to Manchester City and see if anyone would look him in the eye.

He got his answer on Sunday and didn't like it one bit.

But it was Hughes' replacement Roberto Mancini, not the men who sacked him, who upset the Fulham boss most.

Look into my eyes: Mark Hughes didn't take kindly to Roberto Mancini's post match reaction

He accused the Italian of being disrespectful by not looking at him as they shook hands at the final whistle, with Mancini later admitting it was in retaliation for a half-hearted handshake from Hughes when City won 4-1 at Fulham in November.

This game had a very different ending, and a satisfying one for Hughes, on his first return to City since being harshly dismissed for results that did not meet the 'trajectory' needed to qualify for the Champions League.

The only trajectory that mattered yesterday was that of Damien Duff's shot into the back of the net, which cancelled out a first-half opener from Mario Balotelli and dented City's hopes of finally finishing in the top four.

As his assistant Mark Bowen punched the air at the end, Hughes shook hands with Mancini, but suddenly withdrew and pointed angrily at his eyes before storming down the tunnel.

Rasping: Balotelli (right) watches as his shot flies past Mark Schwarzer to give City the lead

'It's probably my fault again, but I'm a little bit old-fashioned,' said Hughes.

'I always think if you offer your hand, it should be accepted.

'Sometimes it's difficult. I had to offer my hand and do it with sincerity when my team were beaten 4-1 by Roberto's. I was disappointed, obviously, but I acknowledged that his team were better.

'I just didn't think Roberto acknowledged how well we'd done by the way he offered his hand.'

It is not the first time Hughes has been involved in a squabble at the final whistle.

In December 2009, he waved Arsene Wenger down the tunnel when the Arsenal boss refused to shake hands after a defeat at Eastlands, and twice this season he and Stoke manager Tony Pulis have snubbed one another.

Welcome back: Carlos Tevez and Mark Hughes shake hands before City's draw with Fulham

Mancini said of his action: 'In London he did the same. That was probably in my mind, but it's not important. The result is more important than these stupid things.
'He should be happy he got a draw against us.'

Hughes replied: 'I don't recall doing that. I think he's incorrect. Everybody has pride and you want to be acknowledged for how you do your job. It was not just about me, it was about my staff and their families. To come here and get a positive result was really important for a lot of people.'
It was a fiery end to an often tepid encounter. Without the injured David Silva, City lacked penetration, and Edin Dzeko, Balotelli and Carlos Tevez were disappointing.

Crunch! Mario Balotelli is fouled by Fulham's Brede Hangeland during the sides' Premier League match

The Argentina striker was involved in City's opener after 26 minutes, however, when he played a short pass in to Balotelli on the edge of the area.
The youngster then brushed off Danny Murphy be fore beating Mark Schwarzer with a low shot inside the post.

Asked if he was happy with Balotelli, Mancini said: 'No. He scored a good goal but I'm not happy. He should play better than today.'

Leveller: Damien Duff celebrates after scoring Fulham's equaliser

Duff shocked City with an unstoppable close-range equaliser three minutes after half-time and Schwarzer then denied them twice, turning away a Tevez effort and tipping over Aleksandar Kolarov's volley from 30 yards as the City fans groaned.

Hughes will have found that music to his ears.

No happy new year for city

Manchester City 's form has markedly declined since the turn of the year.

In the last two months of 2010 they had the best set of results in the Premier League, taking 21 points from 10 games.

But their points tally in 2011 (12 from eight matches) is more like that of a mid-table side and has hampered their push for a Champions League place.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1361104/Manchester-City-1-Fulham-1-Damien-Duff-snatches-point-Mark-Hughes-return-Eastlands.html#ixzz1FEtH4Hvw

White Noise

Hughes unhappy with Mancini as Fulham's point all but ends City's title hopes

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:21 AM on 28th February 2011

Mark Hughes has revealed his anger at the reaction of successor Roberto Mancini to his offer of a post-match handshake at Eastlands this afternoon.

On his first return to Manchester City since he was sacked 14 months ago, Hughes' Fulham side came away with a 1-1 draw that almost certainly ended the Blues' Premier League title hopes.

But the delight at a fully merited result turned to annoyance when Mancini appeared not to look at Hughes as the pair shook hands, leading the Welshman to withdraw in clear annoyance.

Unhappy: Mancini avoids eye-contact with Hughes after their sides' draw

'I am old-fashioned,' he said.

'I always think you should offer your hand in whatever circumstances, no matter how difficult it is.

'I did it and did it with sincerity after my team had been beaten 4-1 at Craven Cottage earlier in this season.

'I acknowledged his team were better.

'Maybe I misread it but I don't feel Roberto really acknowledged the efforts of my team and what we had done by the manner he offered his hand, by not looking at me.'

Mancini countered with the accusation Hughes had done exactly the same thing in November following one of City's best performances of the season.

'In London he did the same,' said Mancini.

'I know he said something but I couldn't understand what.

'For you (journalists) it is maybe the best thing in the match, for me, no. It is not important.

'He (Hughes) should be happy. His team got a draw against us.'

Hughes was indeed delighted.

Even without Bobby Zamora, who was ruled out with an ankle injury, Fulham showed more attacking invention than the hosts, levelling at the start of the second half through Damien Duff.

Mario Balotelli had put City ahead with his ninth goal of the season, although Mancini was not overly impressed by the Italian's performance.

'No, I am not happy with him,' said Mancini.

'He scored a good goal but I am not happy. He should play well, better than today.

'For strikers it is important to score. But strikers should also play for the team.

'I don't just mean Balotelli, but Carlos and Dzeko as well. They should always play for the team. Mario can play better.'

Balotelli's performance coupled with the difficulties City had mastering the Fulham midfield, leading to Edin Dzeko's departure after an hour, may lead to Mancini temporarily abandoning his three-man strike force in the search for a victory in Wednesday's FA Cup fifth round tie with Aston Villa.

'Sometimes players can play badly,' he said. 'You cannot always play well.

Flashpoint: David Platt (centre) holds back Mancini as Hughes reacts angrily

'But the attitude is always important. If you don't have a good attitude, it is difficult to play with three strikers.'

Mancini acknowledged a sense of tiredness amongst his depleted squad, revealing that James Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were named on the bench this afternoon despite being less than fully fit.

The Italian hopes star man David Silva can recover from an ankle injury in time to face Villa, otherwise he will face Gerard Houllier's men with the same group of players.

None of this will bother Hughes, who felt his players had helped him gain a sense of satisfaction at the club that sacked him.

'I don't have any regrets,' said Hughes.

'City are a fantastic club and they have some great people here.

'I met people I was really fond of today. I have not had chance to do that since I was sacked.

'Everybody has pride and it was important for our staff and their families. To get a result like that is important for a lot of people.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1361192/Hughes-unhappy-Mancini-Fulhams-point-ends-Citys-title-hopes.html#ixzz1FExUUxIM

White Noise

Manchester City 1-1 Fulham: Daily Mirror match report

Published 22:45 27/02/11

By David Anderson

Hughes will maintain to his dying day that Manchester City were wrong to sack him so brutally and yesterday's result will have strengthened his belief.

Fourteen months and over £160million on from his axing, there was nothing to separate Hughes' former team and his current one.

It was a proud return to Eastlands for Hughes, whose last experience here was being axed 15 minutes after the final whistle of a 4-3 win over Sunderland when he was the last person in the stadium to learn he had been given the boot.

Hughes can't turn the clock back, but he gained some measure of revenge by landing the final blow to City's lingering title hopes and Roberto Mancini's side are 10 points adrift of Manchester United having played a game more.

They have taken just five points from their last five league games and are looking nervously over their shoulders at Tottenham and Chelsea in the fight for the Champions League places.

A steamroller could not have produced a performance as flat as City's and Mancini blamed fixture congestion and injuries.

The Italian has a point, but his tactic of playing Edin Dzeko, Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez in a three-man attack did not work and Dzeko looked completely lost on the right.

The Bosnian big-money buy in January is approaching 400 minutes without a Premier League goal as he struggles to live up to his £27million pricetag.

Balotelli delighted and frustrated in equal measure to earn a clip round the ear from Mancini, who feels his £24million striker needs to work harder for the team in his wide left role.

The Italy striker conjured the opening goal out of nothing on 26 minutes before miskicking another chance and slicing a third wide.

Despite Mancini's anger, there was no disputing his brilliance for his goal and there seemed little on when he played a one-two with Tevez on the left-hand side of the area.

He shrugged off Danny Murphy with a burst of pace before scoring low into the bottom right corner from 22 yards out to register his ninth goal in 15 appearances for City.

With little to excite them on the pitch, the home fans amused themselves by taunting their former manager with chants of "Hughesie, Hughesie, give us a wave" before singing Mancini's name.

They weren't singing three minutes after half-time when Damien Duff levelled for Fulham with his third goal in five games. Brede Hangeland fed Andy Johnson on the right and he beat Aleksandar Kolarov before crossing for Duff to score from six yards out.

Even this boot up the backside failed to shake the Blues from their lethargy and Balotelli miskicked on the edge of the six-yard box after Pablo Zabaleta had capitalised on Hangeland's slip to tee him up.

Mark Schwarzer twice denied City and he pushed a Tevez shot around his left-hand post at full stretch before he demonstrated his agility again by touching Kolarov's dipping 30-yard volley over.

Fulham proved they are no longer a soft touch on the road and in ending City's seven-match winning run at Eastlands, they have made it just one defeat in their last eight league games.

Not even Hughes' flare-up with Mancini after the final whistle over their handshake could spoil his day and after being spanked 4-1 at Craven Cottage in November, he was determined to enjoy his moment.

He claims the draw represents the progress Fulham have made in the intervening months since that thumping.

Mancini's critics could argue it also shows the lack of progress City have made over the same period.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-1-1-Fulham-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Mark-Hughes-makes-his-point-on-his-first-return-to-Eastlands-article708569.html#ixzz1FEzHbUx3

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9405030.stm

Man City   1 - 1   Fulham

Balotelli is mobbed after his superb first-half strike at Eastlands

By Jonathan Stevenson 

Manchester City's slim Premier League title hopes suffered another setback as they were held to a draw by Fulham.

City, badly missing the creativity of the injured David Silva, went ahead when Mario Balotelli rifled in a superb right-foot shot from outside the area.

Aleksandar Kolarov wasted a fine chance before Fulham, managed by former City boss Mark Hughes, levelled when Damien Duff converted Andrew Johnson's cross.

Carlos Tevez and Kolarov went close, but City could not find a winner.

The draw leaves City 10 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United having played a game more than their local rivals.

And it was a result that will mean a lot to Hughes, who was sacked as City manager in December 2009 as the club appointed Roberto Mancini as his replacement.

Click to play
Click to play
Mancini's hand shake lacked respect - Hughes
It appeared as though there is little love lost between Hughes and Mancini, who came together in angry fashion after the final whistle. They walked towards each other without looking and barely shook hands, both men withdrawing their grasp and disappearing down the tunnel.

But Hughes will be by far the happier of the two bosses having seen his side accumulate another crucial point in their battle to stay in the top flight and they thoroughly deserved it for another determined display.

City, fresh from easing into the last 16 of the Europa League by beating Aris Salonika 3-0 on Thursday, were never at their best and they must now focus on gathering enough points to ensure they stay in the top four and qualify for next season's Champions League.

Balotelli, Tevez and Edin Dzeko once again formed a three-man attack but they were impressively shackled by the visitors' rearguard and missed the prompting and probing of Silva, who was sidelined by an ankle injury.

Hughes and Mancini come together at the final whistle at Eastlands
Fulham had not lost in their three previous league trips to Eastlands and they more than matched City from the outset, breaking up the hosts' flow and starving them of possession in areas where they could do real damage.

City's best early chance was a Balotelli volley from a corner that flew over but the visitors quickly replied with two of their own as they began to enjoy themselves. First Danny Murphy fired narrowly over and then Moussa Dembele forced the home side's goalkeeper Joe Hart into action, both shots coming from outside the area.

Just as Mancini's men seemed to be struggling, a moment of magic broke the deadlock in their favour. Balotelli played a one-two with Tevez outside the Fulham box on the left and after holding off Murphy, he bulleted a right-foot shot into the bottom corner of Schwarzer's net.

The Londoners' heads briefly went down and the visitors could have been 2-0 behind when their defenders inexplicably let the ball run into their penalty area to Kolarov on the left, the Serb selfishly shooting into the side-netting instead of squaring to Tevez or Dzeko.

Click to play
Click to play
Players are feeling the strain - Mancini
But gradually the Cottagers worked their way back into it and, after Dembele had an effort bravely blocked, they got the reward their endeavour deserved soon after the restart.

It was a beautifully worked goal too. Brede Hangeland fed a pass to Johnson down the right and he fizzed over a cross to the back post where Duff, hurtling forward, met the ball eight yards out and directed it past a flat-footed Hart.

Fulham were suitably buoyed and striker Johnson fired low at Hart as the Eastlands crowd began to show signs of their frustration with City struggling.

Slowly but surely City did begin to create some chances of their own and Balotelli mis-kicked eight yards out after great work down the right from Pablo Zabaleta, before Patrick Vieira came on for the ineffective Dzeko and gave Mancini's side a lift.

Balotelli played Tevez through and his left-foot shot was superbly tipped around his post by Cottagers keeper Mark Schwarzer, before Kolarov's awkwardly dipping volley from fully 30 yards was pushed over the bar.

But the home side continued to labour and in the end they can have few complaints about Fulham heading back to London with a point.

White Noise

http://tldorc.blogspot.com/2011/02/city-1-1-fulham.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheLonesomeDeathOfRoyCarroll+%28The+Lonesome+Death+of+Roy+Carroll%29

City 1 - 1 Fulham

•Oh, the annual second-half surrender at home to Fulham in the league. How I've missed you. You are the truest reminder that while some things change other things do not; as much of a reassurance that City are still City as the colour of the shirts or the songs in the stands. This is four years on the run, now, that we have gone ahead in this fixture and failed to win.

•As it goes, it was the least painful iteration yet. As with stoppage time derby defeats, or losing to Spurs, or losing to Everton, the repetition lessens the pain by robbing its surprise. The 3-2 under Eriksson stole my soul for a good week, even outweighing my thrills at the Sun/Ball/Corluka/Elano back four. The 3-1 in April 2009 was just pathetic, the 2-2 last year was better. As I said, predictability is a strong antidote.

•Of course, dropping two points is a problem. Finishing fourth is important, even if it's not as important as finishing first in one of the cups. That said, given we've still got Spurs at home and Chelsea away things are still in our own hands. More worrying than the result is the performance. Our reliance on David Silva was made clear by a display that was barren of any wit, pace or imagination. I could write for a while about how Gareth Barry and Yaya Touré don't set a good enough tempo, or how our two new full-backs aren't as quick as they ought to be, but you've seen it for yourselves before this season.

•Still, some big performances in the big games and we'll still get fourth. A nice distraction from the league this week, with an FA Cup fifth round game with Aston Villa.

White Noise

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_6507_manchester-city-1-1-fulham-manciniâÃ,€Ã,™s-title-chase-comes-to-a-bitter-end-after-another-draw.html

Manchester City 1-1 Fulham - Mancini's title chase comes to a bitter end after another draw

By Scott Carey

Monday 28 February 2011

Mark Hughes, looking to improve upon his 4-1 loss earlier in the season, set out to get at a tired Manchester City, and his side moved the ball around nicely. Moussa Dembele caused plenty of problems and linked well with Andy Johnson, who looked to exploit the channels dangerously.

Mancini sent his side out with all the attacking intent he could muster, however the front three of Balotelli, Dzeko, and Tevez failed to link up effectively. Dzeko, fresh off the back of a fine brace in midweek, particularly struggled to make his mark on the proceedings and was hauled off after an hour. Yaya Toure, Zabaleta, and Barry looked to keep things simple in the middle of the park. However, there was a distinct lack of ambition from the midfield trio and David Silva's creativity was clearly missing as City failed to link defense and attack with any real verve.

One flash of class from Mario Balotelli eventually lit up a very flat first half. Balotelli, who did not really look interested in the build up, linked up with Tevez, dropping a little shimmy inside and smashing past Mark Schwarzer. A fine goal marking the precocious Italian's eighth of the season, yet still failing to draw a smile.

Upwards of 40,000 fans in Eastlands failed to lift the atmosphere above a whisper on a sleepy Sunday afternoon. The lack of atmosphere was obvious when the organizers did not even put on some half time entertainment to lift the ground following a drab performance from the home side.

Fulham were sent out more fired up following the break, and put together a finely crafted goal two minutes into the half. The typically brilliant Brede Hangeland played a fantastic pass into the channel for Andy Johnson, who fired the ball across goal with plenty of pace, and Damien Duff kept his cool to finish at the back post.

Mancini reacted by taking off the anonymous Dzeko for Patrick Viera, shifting his system to a narrow 4-4-2 with Zabaleta and Kolarov providing width. The change nearly paid off instantly as Viera played the ball to Balotelli who cleverly flicked into the path of Carlos Tevez, whose left footed strike lacked power. City instantly started to build pressure by moving the ball forward quicker and with more menace. However, Fulham survived this vital period and Mark Schwarzer denied Kolarov a wonder goal, palming his long range dipping strike over the bar.

Hughes' side impressively looked to pressure the City players high up the field, even in the latter stages. They forced mistakes from City by showing their determination to take something from the game, and kept possession patiently on the edge of the City area in search of a breakthrough.

As the final whistle blew, boos rung out around Eastlands. Mancini's disappointment was clear as he refused to make eye contact with his predecessor at the post-match hand shake, prompting Hughes to angrily pull his hand away. An unsavory incident clearly indicative of the pressure Mancini is feeling following this final dent to his side's title hopes.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3366074,00.html

Duff dents City title hopes

Duff equalises Balotelli opener to dent City title chances

Last updated: 27th February 2011   

Duff: On target

Man of the match: Damien Duff. Scored the equaliser and was a big threat to City in the second period.

Goal of the match: Mario Balotelli. Duff's goal came at the end of a flowing move but Balotelli gets the nod for his great strike. The Italy striker played a one-two with Carlos Tevez before unleashing an unstoppable effort from 22 yards past Mark Schwarzer.

Attempt of the match: Aleksandar Kolarov tried a long-range dipping effort in the second period which Schwarzer managed to tip over the bar after back-pedalling to reach the ball.

Moment of the match: Duff's leveller. Scoring within three minutes of the re-start gave Fulham the impetus to get something out of the game.

Talking point: City's title push looks to be over after this draw. Also, former and present City bosses Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini had a spat when they went to shake hands at the end, with Mancini not giving eye contact to the Fulham manager..

Damien Duff hit a second-half equaliser as Fulham deservedly drew at Eastlands to dent Manchester City's title hopes.

It was former City boss Mark Hughes' first visit back to his old club and his new team created a number of half chances, with Clint Dempsey and Danny Murphy having efforts at goal.

But City took the lead on 26 minutes after Mario Balotelli played a one-two with Carlos Tevez before unleashing a great strike from 22 yards into the bottom right corner.

Fulham, though, were not to be denied and Duff slotted home an Andrew Johnson cross from close range soon after the re-start to earn a share of the points.

The result was sweet revenge for Hughes for his dismissal as City manager 14 months ago, with the draw leaving the Blues 10 points adrift of leaders Manchester United, having played a game more.

And ill-feeling between Blues' bosses past and present erupted with an angry exchange at the final whistle, when Roberto Mancini did not appear to look at his predecessor at the post-match handshake, leading to Hughes pulling his hand away in disgust.

But Mancini has more to worry about as - if Tottenham and Chelsea win their games in hand - City will find themselves outside the top four.

And, having complained so often about the huge number of fixtures his team are having to play, Mancini must be concerned about how meekly they faded once the Cottagers had levelled Balotelli's ninth goal of the season.

Having let a number of squad men leave on loan, Mancini now finds injury robbing him of others and far better will be required on Wednesday if City are to dispose of Aston Villa to reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Proud record
Fulham headed north boasting a proud record of just one defeat in their last seven league encounters at City.

The most famous, a 3-2 win three seasons ago after the Blues had taken a two-goal lead, saved them from the drop.

These days, City are a far stronger outfit, sitting third in the table and still in with a shout in both the FA Cup and the Europa League.

Yet, with David Silva missing due to an ankle problem and City in the middle of what could turn into 15 matches in seven weeks, the hosts were a lacklustre during the opening stages.

Balotelli went close on a couple of occasions but so did Fulham, whose skipper, Murphy, watched his rising drive fly over midway through the half.

With the atmosphere flat as well, City needed something to raise them.

For once, Tevez, sporting a tight perm, was outdone, both in the fashion stakes and who should score.

Balotelli's 'Mr T-style' dyed blonde hair was fairly distinctive. His goal was better.

Exchanging a couple of short passes with Tevez, the Italy striker was given too much room by Murphy and promptly despatched an excellent shot past Mark Schwarzer.

Had Aleksandar Kolarov showed even a small amount of awareness when he streaked into the box minutes later, City would have had a second.

Impossible angle

Instead, the Serbian ignored a posse of expectant team-mates, smashing a shot into the side-netting from an impossible angle.

Fulham kept battling, although there was rather too much aggression from Clint Dempsey, who after engaging in bad-tempered exchanges with Gareth Barry, Yaya Toure and Pablo Zabaleta, was summoned by referee Peter Walton to receive a lecture from Murphy.

But Dempsey's attitude belied a fierce Fulham determination. And within three minutes of the restart they were level.

The execution was simplicity itself. Brede Hangeland sent Johnson flying down the right wing and the former Everton star galloped on a few paces before drilling a cross low into the area, which Duff arrived with perfect timing to tuck home from close range.

As City's response was limited to a Balotelli mis-kick after Zabaleta had taken advantage of Hangeland's slip to pull a cross back to the near post and holes were appearing with alarming regularity in the hosts' midfield, Edin Dzeko was sacrificed as Mancini abandoned his three-man attack.

The extra solidity Patrick Vieira brought to midfield nearly paid dividends too as Balotelli lifted a pass over the Fulham defence to release Tevez but Schwarzer got his angles right though, pushing the South American's effort just wide.

The veteran Australian needed every inch of his massive frame to touch a dipping Kolarov effort over as City began to build up some momentum, although as it turned out, Fulham looked more plausible winners in the latter stages.

Dempsey and Dembele both went close as Duff terrorised the City defence from his right flank station.

Balotelli suffered the ire of his own supporters when he blazed over two minutes' from time, which proved to be City's last chance.

White Noise

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6784461,00.html

Draw frustrates Mancini

Boss does not think City played well in stalemate with Cottagers

Last updated: 27th February 2011   

Roberto Mancini was disappointed after Manchester City drew to Fulham to all but end their title hopes.

Mario Balotelli fired the hosts in front on 26 minutes with a powerful effort but the Cottagers deservedly earned a share of the spoils via Damien Duff just after the restart.

The stalemate leaves Mancini's side 10 points adrift of leaders Manchester United, having played a game more, and the Italian tactician believed his team was suffering fatigue after featuring in the Europa League on Thursday.

"The performance was so, so. I think that we didn't play well but in the first half we scored one goal," he told Sky Sports, believing it was normal for his side to then get tired in the second period after their European exertions.

"It is normal but when you score one goal, you finish the first half one-nil and you should start better the second half but it is possible that when you play every day - and at this moment we have a lot of players injured - we have some problems."

Asked whether the draw affected his side's title chances, he replied: "Now for us it is difficult in this moment I think."

While he conceded his side had lost two points, he also believed it would be difficult for United at Chelsea on Tuesday.

There was a spat between Mancini and his City predecessor Mark Hughes at the end when the Italian did not appear to look at the Fulham boss at the post-match handshake, leading to Hughes pulling his hand away in disgust.

Asked about Hughes not seeming happy about something, Mancini said: "Always I think, I don't know. He seemed (like that in) the first game in London but I don't know."

White Noise

Great Belief

Sunday 27th February 2011

Mark Hughes spoke positively of his side's performance at the City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday, as Fulham secured a 1-1 draw against third-placed Manchester City.

"I enjoyed the performance from my team," said Hughes in his post-match press conference. "I thought we were excellent from start to finish. We really took the game to City and showed great belief in what we were trying to do."

Yet despite their positive showing, the Whites found themselves behind after 26 minutes when Mario Balotelli muscled off Danny Murphy before firing past Mark Schwarzer. It was a setback for the visiting side, but their Manager explained how there was no undue panic in the Fulham dressing room at half-time as the team picked themselves up to take the game to their hosts in the second period.

"We were a little taken aback [when Balotelli scored] because the goal was against the run of play at the time," opined Hughes. "At half-time we were 1-0 down, and given the quality of City's home record it looked a difficult task for us in the second-half. But in the dressing room it was very easy to remind people of how well we had been doing and of the belief we'd been showing. We just needed a break and it came very early in the second half with a fantastic goal from Damien Duff.

"From that point onwards probably the only disappointment was that we didn't go on and take the three points because I thought the manner of our performance and the way we dictated the game for long periods merited that.

"But in the end I suppose we're happy enough with the point. We're picking up a lot of points on our travels at the moment and playing well as well.

"I think what really drove us on today was the fact that we've been to places like the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Anfield, White Hart Lane, and played really well without rewards, so I think we were determined that wouldn't happen today. So we are delighted that we took something out of what was a really difficult fixture on paper."

The previous meeting between the two sides this season ended in an emphatic 4-1 victory for the Manchester side, and Hughes agreed with the suggestion that this result, and performance, was an indication of how much his Fulham team have improved over the subsequent four months.

"I think so," he concurred. "You saw a different type of performance.

"The first game [in November] was still early days, but in fairness I don't think I've seen City play better in an attacking sense than they did on that day, it was just unfortunate that we were on the wrong end of it. They were excellent then and we didn't have the answers, but today we restricted very good players to very few opportunities, and I think that's a reflection of the work we've done and the commitment that the players are showing now.

"The key to it was that we were able to keep Carlos Tevez quiet, because he really is their catalyst for everything. Keeping him quiet takes a lot from City's game, so thankfully we were able to do that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/HughesManCityReaction.aspx#ixzz1FFSxZYv1

White Noise

Proving a Point

Sunday 27th February 2011

Fulham produced a performance full of resilience and attacking threat at the City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday afternoon to claim a well-deserved share of the points.

Dickson Etuhu also marked his return to the starting line-up with a powerful display in the middle of the park.

"We played really well today but I think we could have won it," the midfielder told fulhamfc.com after the match. "We had enough chances, we got at their back four quite a bit but it's still good to come here and get a point. After the last result we got against them, I thought we applied ourselves much better.

"We thought we did really well in the first-half, it was a shock to concede but it was a great goal by Balotelli – he's got some ability. But we didn't give up, we knew that we had enough and we had a game-plan that the Manger and coaching staff put to us – and it worked really well.

"At half-time the Manager just said that we had to give a little bit more and that we should believe in ourselves – I thought we did that today."

Damien Duff was in sparkling form and grew in stature as the game progresses. IN addition to netting the equaliser, the Republic of Ireland international was a constant thorn in City's side – and Etuhu was certainly full of praise for his team-mate.

"Damien's a top pro and a top player," Etuhu added. "He gives us that pace out there and it was good to see him get on the score sheet again."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/EtuhuManCityReaction.aspx#ixzz1FFTH2CFY

White Noise

Man City Photo Special

A selection of photos from Fulham's Barclays Premier League draw with Manchester City.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/ManCityPhotoSpecial.aspx