watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If MAF Had His Time Over Again

Started by White Noise, March 01, 2011, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

With the benefit of hindsight, but still having bought the club in the way he did, what do you think MAF would do differently with the club?

Would he still want to get into the top flight as fast but gone about it differently? Would he use any of the managers he employed along the way? 

What do you think the principal lessons he has learned about Fulham and about owning a football club along the way?

epsomraver

You cannot move Fulham from the cottage and build flats

CorkCity

MAF, has bought us beyond my expectations. The only thing he might change was when he got a phone call from Lawrie Sanchez, he would have said "tell him im not in".
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

AlFayedsChequebook

I doubt he would have done much differently.

Probably been more cautious with who he borught in in terms of big money signings, and maybe a more careful manager search.

TonyGilroy

The big mistake he made was not having an experienced football man running the club's finances and business plan.

He used Harrod's management men that lacked football experience and were probably not minded to tell him anything he didn't want to hear.

That's changed now but ironically only now that he knows the football world himself. He could have saved a lot of money and avoided mistakes by investing in that sort of nous.

Lighthouse

Yes he could have saved an awful lot of money by not investing in moving Fulham to a new ground. He had hopes of making some money back by selling off Craven Cottage. He is now stuck with a club that has only a minimum growth possiblity. When we moved to Loftus Road we lost a few fans who actually lost the habit of going. The gap was filled but I am sure damage was done.

Had he had the extra money then investing even more  in the team and the Cottage would have been a better option and with luck we could well have been the Man Utd of the South. Just in a smaller Ground. However with the sort of silly money being put about now we may never have been able to compete at the very top. But as last week proved. Players who want to play for their Manager and club are worth more than player who want to play for silly money.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

...I suspect if he had his time again he would have put a bigger offer in for the dark side...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

Our small ground will always be a limiting factor and exploring the possibility of a move wasn't wrong in my opinion. There seemed though to be 3 or 4 years of dithering whilst money was spent on architects for an unbuilt stadium, fans were pissed off, we moved temporarily for 2 years when the actual upgrade of Craven Cottage only took a few months and there was no sense that MAF actually knew what he wanted to do.

The Baresi appointment was a nonsense as was the fall out with Tigana. If Tigana was honest he was treated appallingly and if not a strong CEO should have had him out the door much earlier.

It's only in the last few years that the club seems to have a properly thought through strategy.

finnster01

To be fair to MAF the money spent on architects and new stadium plans and all that good stuff happened in a time where it was possibly cost effective and bums in seats actually meant something.

It was before Sky stole our game.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

michaelread

I think he would do things a little differently but I don't think that means he has regrets. From interviews I have seen with him, he is a very happy and easygoing guy (despite the passport issues).

I really think he genuinely has fallen in love with the club like the rest of it. Europa would have been the jewell in his crown, I think.

michaelread

Da Ali G Show - Mohammed Al Fayed (High Quality)

i think he would have not tried to freestyle rap though...

He really took that whole interview well, VERY impressed with him really!

RidgeRider

Good thread. I have only followed for the last 4 seasons so this is good for us newer supporters.

It would be terrific if one or several of you would entertain writing a brief summary of each year MAF has owned the club, how the club performed, was it a fun/interesting/miserable season and commenting on any off the pitch happenings that were going on to help us fill in the knowledge gap. I'm sure it would be much appreciated by all.