watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - The Cricket Thread

Started by King_Crud, March 09, 2011, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

Any other cricket fans/players out there? WC is on at the moment and if you weren't entertained by the last few overs of NZ's batting against Pakistan yesterday then you're either from a) Pakistan or b) someone who will never like cricket.

If anyone is interested Surrey have released the tickets for their T20 games this summer, £15 each. I am really impressed with the new county schedule this season, there'll even be some 4 day games starting Sundays.

BalDrick

Yep big cricket fan, though prefer Tests to ODIs and T20s. Didn't see yesterday's game unfortunately - NZ are always a team to watch in this form of the game aren't they?

England trying to get Tremlett in, in place of the (once again) injured Stuart Broad.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

I love cricket, but sadly never get to see too much of it as I'm working.

In fact, I lived next to Gloucestershire County CC for 4 years and didn't go once! Madness.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

Quote from: BalDrick on March 09, 2011, 02:09:18 PM
Didn't see yesterday's game unfortunately - NZ are always a team to watch in this form of the game aren't they?

Shame:

QuoteUntil, that is, Abdul Razzaq took the next over from that end. His cost 30. In all Taylor swatted seven sixes over towards mid-wicket, one of them disappearing over the grass banks and out of the ground. He hit 55 runs from his final 13 balls, which made Jacob Oram's 25 off nine look almost reserved. The two bludgeoned 85 in 3.4 overs, the quickest fifty partnership in the history of one-day internationals.

NZ scored almost 100 runs in 5 overs to finish the innings

The Equalizer

It's been a wicked World Cup so far. I too missed yesterday's game, but I did see England v India, England v Ireland, England v South Africa. All corkers!

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

King_Crud

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 09, 2011, 02:36:06 PM
It's been a wicked World Cup so far. I too missed yesterday's game, but I did see England v India, England v Ireland, England v South Africa. All corkers!

yeah in a way you kinda don't want England games to be close, but at the same time you do. I must have watched every ball of the England v India tie, haven't had a one dayer so captivating from start to finish for years.

HatterDon

I'm probably the biggest cricket fan of any Yank you'll know. Like M. BalDrick, I prefer the 3-5 day game rather than one day. There was a time with FSC [then Fox Sports World] showed some cricket, but there's nothing I can find over here now. During the Ashes, I followed the ball-by-ball on the England-Wales Cricket Board web page.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

King_Crud

Quote from: HatterDon on March 09, 2011, 08:31:10 PM
I'm probably the biggest cricket fan of any Yank you'll know. Like M. BalDrick, I prefer the 3-5 day game rather than one day. There was a time with FSC [then Fox Sports World] showed some cricket, but there's nothing I can find over here now. During the Ashes, I followed the ball-by-ball on the England-Wales Cricket Board web page.

i didn't know yanks followed cricket, how does one get into it over there? I'm originally from Australia, one of my best friends was an American who'd married an aussie. After ten years of living in Sydney he could watch cricket but he still couldn't "get" cricket

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

got my ticket for the 1st day England v India at the Oval :yay:
I'm a 5 day test man-that's the proper stuff but I am keeping an eye of the world cup :dft012:

BalDrick

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 10, 2011, 09:46:46 AM
I'm a 5 day test man-that's the proper stuff but I am keeping an eye of the world cup :dft012:

Yep I'm going to be there on the Saturday at the Oval. Also going to the first day at Lord's for the Sri Lanka Test with my little boy. Cannot wait...

FFChris

Anyone still play?  I play for Yateley in the Thames Valley League..........love cricket - playing or watching.

King_Crud

Quote from: BalDrick on March 10, 2011, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 10, 2011, 09:46:46 AM

Yep I'm going to be there on the Saturday at the Oval. Also going to the first day at Lord's for the Sri Lanka Test with my little boy. Cannot wait...

Yeah i got a ticket to the Saturday. I also have a ticket to Surrey v Glamorgan T20, will get tickets to other Oval games as they go on sale

King_Crud

Quote from: FFChris on March 10, 2011, 10:29:52 AM
Anyone still play?  I play for Yateley in the Thames Valley League..........love cricket - playing or watching.

Yeah i play for a social team: London Itinerants CC, based out of Barnes. I was a bowler 2 season ago, more of a batsmen/keeper last season, looking to get my bowling mojo back for this season. Yourself?

The Equalizer

Quote from: King_Crud on March 10, 2011, 10:33:19 AM

Yeah i play for a social team: London Itinerants CC, based out of Barnes. I was a bowler 2 season ago, more of a batsmen/keeper last season, looking to get my bowling mojo back for this season. Yourself?

Funnily enough, tonight is the first nets session for the new Whistle and Flute cricket team. I'm a complete novice at cricket. I played many years ago at school, and I didn't really get on with it. Having a fast bowler slam a speedball into my upper thigh was an experience. I nearly lost the ability to have kids!

I'm looking forward to tonight though. My mate Ferret plays for the Bricklayers in Putney, so we might have a rivalry going on soon if we can get playing!

King_Crud

yeah we've had a couple of guys join this season who used to play but haven't for a few years. We've had 4 nets so far, one of the new guys is pretty damn good, he bowls leg spin and turns it about a foot, plus can bat. He's too good for our level, we're worried he might suss us out as being crap and run off to a good team.

The Equalizer

Zimbabwe innings against Sri Lanka:

3.4 overs in
Taylor 8
Chakbva 8
Extras 8!!

Must be some interesting bowling going on.

BalDrick

Oh to have the time. Or even the ability/stamina.

A few years ago I was pretty hacked off with my working life, seriously considered becoming an umpire. If I ever win the Lottery, I might just end up doing that.

HatterDon

Quote from: King_Crud on March 10, 2011, 09:09:49 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on March 09, 2011, 08:31:10 PM

i didn't know yanks followed cricket, how does one get into it over there? I'm originally from Australia, one of my best friends was an American who'd married an aussie. After ten years of living in Sydney he could watch cricket but he still couldn't "get" cricket

I lived in England for almost 10 years, your majesty. I got hooked by test matches and then REALLY got hooked by village cricket. I gave it a go once, but batting was a complete mystery to me. I was a decent fielder with a good left throwing arm, but I couldn't bowl either.

These days all I get to watch is a few overs in our local park. There's a lot of South Asian lads who play on Sunday afternoons as dozens of South Texas families pass by scratching their heads.

King_Crud

you should show them your wicked googly

HatterDon

Quote from: King_Crud on March 10, 2011, 03:49:15 PM
you should show them your wicked googly

or my backwards short leg