watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - "Inside Job"

Started by Snibbo, March 10, 2011, 12:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbo

Watched this doco last night, about the Global Financial Crisis.

Bloody Hell. There were times when I laughed out loud at the inane defence put forward by some of those investment bankers, CEOs and so-called regulators, for the risks they took with other peoples' money, and the bonuses they paid themselves.

The truly disturbing thing is that the same lunatics are still in charge of the asylum, and the authorities still won't put strait jackets on them, or even review their medication.

Great doco, well worth a watch, but be warned, it will make you angry.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DRm5ES-uA" target="_blank" ></a>

MJG

Watched it last week and a very good doc. You laugh and screen at the screen when watching it.
I know one of Barclays high flyers and the general public don't know the half of what happens in banking.
Any other business and the heads of the companies would be serving time.
Anyway back to the film, well shot, looks great and very informative.

The Equalizer

Thanks for sharing. I've not seen this yet, but like MJG, I know a few high fliers in the City and have spent most of my career working for the top banks. Should make interesting viewing.

I've heard of another documentary where a study was done of top brass in some of these type of companies, I think this one was actually aimed at the famous Enron. Basically, the study discovered that pretty much every single one of the fat cats in charge are sociopaths! They should literally be locked up and tied down, and given some crayons!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 10, 2011, 11:30:24 AM
Basically, the study discovered that pretty much every single one of the fat cats in charge are sociopaths! They should literally be locked up and tied down, and given some crayons!

Many people in top positions are sociopaths but that does not necessarily mean they will misbehave. Moreover, sociopathy is made up of quite a lot of traits and it only is problematic if you tick all the boxes. Everybody has sociopathological traits but you are a danger to the community if you have nothing but them ;-)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Quote from: sipwell on March 10, 2011, 11:47:39 AM
Basically, the study discovered that pretty much every single one of the fat cats in charge are sociopaths! They should literally be locked up and tied down, and given some crayons!

Many people in top positions are sociopaths but that does not necessarily mean they will misbehave. Moreover, sociopathy is made up of quite a lot of traits and it only is problematic if you tick all the boxes. Everybody has sociopathological traits but you are a danger to the community if you have nothing but them ;-)
Which is why you hide the hairdryer if Sir Alex is in the room... :025:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

jarv

The books "Liars poker" and "the Big Short" by Michael lewis also shed's a lot of light on the city and wall street. To simplify it in a sentence "it all is one big house of cards built on shifting sands" but the details of the operations, the people involved etc. is very interesting and a bit scary.
Michael Lewis is an excellent writer, very interesting and amusing. Americans on here, he also wrote "moneyball", a baseball book, brilliant.

cebu

Quote from: finnster01 on March 10, 2011, 11:57:23 AM
Quote from: sipwell on March 10, 2011, 11:47:39 AM

Which is why you hide the hairdryer if Sir Alex is in the room... :025:

No, no good sir! You're confusing sociopath with psychopath.   :003: