watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wenger Wants Simultaneous Kick-Offs

Started by White Noise, March 23, 2011, 12:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Wenger orders Premier League to consider simultaneous kick-offs for final three games

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:44 AM on 23rd March 2011

Arsene Wenger has called for the final three Barclays Premier League games of the season to be played simultaneously. 

As it stands, only the final round of fixtures kick-off at the same time. But the Arsenal manager believes the current format should be altered as the race for the title reaches a dramatic climax.   

Changing times: Wenger has called for the Premier League to consider altering their current format
'I think they should make each team's last three fixtures all kick off at the same time, not just the last one,' Wenger told the Official Arsenal Magazine.
'There are advantages and disadvantages to kicking off later than the other teams. If you kick off later than your rivals, and they have lost, then you are in a more comfortable situation.

'Psychologically it can give you a lift, and it's true that it can apply for us or Manchester United or Chelsea, but I think it would be better not to give any team this advantage.

Grudge match: United will host Chelsea in the final month of the campaign
'Weekends where you win and your opponents lose become absolutely pivotal now.'
Wenger also revealed that he doesn't keep track on a rival's score if they kick-off at the same time. 

'No, I wait until afterwards,' the Frenchman added. 'If they play before us, then I like to know the result, but if it's the same time, I don't mind not knowing until the end.   

'I tell the players to forget about the other matches as far as possible, and just focus on how they want to play.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1369083/Arsene-Wenger-orders-Premier-League-consider-simultaneous-kick-offs.html#ixzz1HQLPK72j

AlFayedsChequebook

Will never happen, I am sure that Sky hate the fact they cannot show any games on the last day!

BalDrick

BalDrick orders Premier League to consider simultaneous kick-offs for all games

About as much chance...
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Doctor

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 23, 2011, 12:12:54 PM
Will never happen, I am sure that Sky hate the fact they cannot show any games on the last day!

I thought they could, which is why the games all get moved to the Sunday?  Not that I'd know, as I'm generally at the game, but was always under the impression that the final day game(s) were be televised?

BalDrick

Quote from: The Doctor on March 23, 2011, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 23, 2011, 12:12:54 PM

I thought they could, which is why the games all get moved to the Sunday?  Not that I'd know, as I'm generally at the game, but was always under the impression that the final day game(s) were be televised?

Yeah they do, sometimes three at the same time. But they do all start at the same time. Whinger has a point but if he gets his way, there's a precedent for Championship (and lower) clubs loooking to finish in play-off places.

Burt

I actually agree with him.

Making it all 3pm every Saturday for all 38 matches would also be a good move.

Unfortunately he can't order Sky to do anything. They control the purse-strings.

White Noise

If all 38 matches were played at 3pm on Saturdays but Sky were allowed to show 5 of them live simultaneously on 5 different channels would they or football gates actually suffer?

TonyGilroy

The Cup Final will disrupt at least 2 matches.

finnster01

Am I the only one who thinks Arsene has actually gone mad?

I agree with this single point, but this comes from a man who has recently suggested we scrap the offside rule completely, do not have throw ins but free kicks instead etc. Just to name a few on top of my head. He rarely plays any English in his starting 11 and he doesn't know how to fix his defensive woes (thank God, keep your fat French fingers away from Hangers in the summer, you can have Schwarz). It is just one thing after another. No wonder they haven't won a trophy in 6 years.

I am just glad he isn't the Pope because then I would probably have struggled to keep my faith
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BalDrick

Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 12:39:44 PM

I agree with this single point, but this comes from a man who has recently suggested we scrap the offside rule completely, do not have throw ins but free kicks instead etc. Just to name a few on top of my head. He rarely plays any English in his starting 11 and he doesn't know how to fix his defensive woes (thank God, keep your fat French fingers away from Hangers in the summer, you can have Schwarz). It is just one thing after another. No wonder they haven't won a trophy in 6 years.

I am just glad he isn't the Pope because then I would probably have struggled to keep my faith

Don't know how good your French is but Wenger actually translates as 'someone who whines constantly about small items of no import whilst ignoring the fact he [and by extension his team] do what they like, with absolute impunity'.

Logicalman

It would surely hit the TV income wouldn't it? The problem comes when the commentators (term used VERY loosely) and/or the broadcast screen, keep giving updates to other matches, which regularly occurs on ESPN, though Sky/Fox only do it for matches being broadcast elsewhere later on.

I can see his point, but with the current monetary setup (from which the Arse do quite well), it's not feasible. Perhaps the French Wine should manage another team elsewhere rather than keep on trying to change the way the Prem is run (kick-ins to replace throw-ins!! only cos Delap doesn't play for them)

FC Silver Fox

I agree with Wenger on this too. Not specifically for the title challenging clubs, but the relegation battle will be open to quite a few clubs in the bottom half of the table for the last 3 games.  It makes sense for them to be playing at the same time too. However, like most people, I can't see it happening. The Premiership isn't about sport any more. Its just about big business and driving revenue for TV companies.

P.S. Baldrick, wenger veut ne rien dire en français.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

mrska

Id like 16 out of our home games to be 3pm on a Saturday  and 3 under the lights..  but it aint never gonna happen.. ( oh and a rub down from Holly Willabooby)

HatterDon

So, I keep reading about how many of you are incensed that home matches aren't all at 1500 Saturday. I wonder if that included LAST season when, with a small elderly squad, we played two matches most weeks where the mid-week game was on Thursday. All those Sunday matches certainly impacted my live viewing, but I submit that if we had to play our two a weeks Thursday and Saturday, we'd not have lasted as long in either the Europa League or the FA Cup.

MY complaint is when an away match is moved to Monday night. That should only occur for a derby match. We get few enough traveling oop north for a Saturday or Sunday match, but folks who have to work Monday will not be among them in that instance.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jimbobob

Quote from: BalDrick on March 23, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 12:39:44 PM

Don't know how good your French is but Wenger actually translates as 'someone who whines constantly about small items of no import whilst ignoring the fact he [and by extension his team] do what they like, with absolute impunity'.
:54: :54: :54:
You both are right on. I was going to make the point that he hates that players can throw the ball a great distance. He is always worried about minutia and distractions. He needs to do his job and get his talented squad to play with some heart and fight. Oh I forgot..he's French!!! :57: :57: :57:
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

BalDrick

Quote from: HatterDon on March 23, 2011, 05:17:53 PM
So, I keep reading about how many of you are incensed that home matches aren't all at 1500 Saturday. I wonder if that included LAST season when, with a small elderly squad, we played two matches most weeks where the mid-week game was on Thursday. All those Sunday matches certainly impacted my live viewing, but I submit that if we had to play our two a weeks Thursday and Saturday, we'd not have lasted as long in either the Europa League or the FA Cup.

MY complaint is when an away match is moved to Monday night. That should only occur for a derby match. We get few enough traveling oop north for a Saturday or Sunday match, but folks who have to work Monday will not be among them in that instance.

But our European games were only on a Thursday at the behest of the TV companies anyway weren't they, so they could accommodate the CL games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Never going to happen but all Euro games on a Wednesday and all league games on a Saturday still makes sense to everyone but the hand that feeds.