watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (30.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 30, 2011, 07:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.kickoff.com/news/20984/kagisho-dikgacoi-backs-bongani-khumalo-in-loan-to-preston-north-endor.php

KG backs Khumalo's decision

Posted: 2011-03-29 13:16

Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi has backed his teammate Bongani Khumalo's decision to move to join Preston North End. 

Khumalo is to spend the next three months with Preston on loan from Tottenham Hotspur.

The defender joined Spurs in January from SuperSport United after impressing during a trial spell and had still to make his debut for the English Premiership side before coach Harry Redknapp agreed to send him to Preston to gain valuable game time.

Both Khumalo and Dikgacoi are now playing in the English Championship after the latter was loaned to Crystal Palace by Fulham recently.

"I will only go back to Fulham if I am guaranteed game time "
- Kagisho Dikgacoi

"I think it was a good decision for Bongani as he was in the same situation as me at Fulham. Since I moved here I am now playing week in and week out. I have already played six games which I don't think would have happened at Fulham.

"The only way to gain match fitness is to play games and it was important for him to go there and get game time. This is not only going to benefit him, but also Bafana Bafana."

Dikgacoi refused to speculate about his future with Fulham after his loan deal with Crystal Palace expires at the end of the season.

"Right now I haven't decided. But I will only go back to Fulham if I am guaranteed game time. They have already exercised an option to renew my contract and we will see what happens at the end of the season."

'KG' is set to fly back to England tonight after helping Bafana Bafana beat Egypt 1-0 in the Afcon qualifier in Johannesburg at the weekend. 

Ernest Fakude

White Noise

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-landondonovanandclintdempse

Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey appeased by USA effort despite loss to Paraguay

Goal.com

1 hour, 36 minutes ago

Against Argentina on the weekend, the United States was largely humiliated by a clearly superior team, but a set piece and some grit allowed the U.S. to draw. Against Paraguay on Tuesday, the Americans easily outplayed the opponent, dominating possession and chances on frame, but lost. Soccer's weird like that.

The USA's two wide midfielders – Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan – have been around long enough not to let the game's fickle nature get to them.

"We all had a few chances," Donovan said of his late chance to equalize. "You know, on another day those go in or the goalie doesn't save them. It's unfortunate, but sometimes that's the way it is."

Dempsey, who recently became the American to score the most goals in one season in England, compared the two international friendlies.

"Even though we didn't play the best game against Argentina, attacking-wise, I thought we showed a lot of character, grinding out a result," the Fulham midfielder said. "Sometimes you have to grind out results that are not pretty.

"Tonight it was a little bit of the other way. We had most of the possession, we creating a lot of chances, but weren't able to get that goal."

Even with the possession, Donovan did cede that the Americans could have done more to unnerve Paraguay's rigid system.

"They're a very good team defensively," Donovan said. "Their objective was pretty clear: to come in here and defend well and try to counter. We were at fault for allowing them to score a goal and to continue to execute their game-plan the way they wanted."

Despite the loss, Donovan praised the same work ethic which allowed the USA to bounce back against Argentina just days earlier.

"To be honest, I'm not disappointed with the effort, the willingness to pass and go forward," the captain on the day explained. "All that was good. We were at fault early on on the set piece that we gave up the goal, our final pass wasn't good, and then give their goalie credit – he made a couple really good saves."

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/859428-zoltan-gera-in-talks-with-newcastle-over-summer-free-transfer

Zoltan Gera 'in talks with Newcastle over summer free transfer'

Fulham's Zoltan Gera has been in contact with Newcastle over the prospect of joining the club on a free transfer in the summer, according to reports.

Midfielder Zoltan Gera looks set to leave Fulham on a free in the summer (EPA)

The midfielder, who has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place under manager Mark Hughes, is said to be desperate to leave Craven Cottage at the end of the season, when he will be out of contract.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has confirmed he is already in discussions with a number of free transfer prospects for what could be a busy summer at St James' Park.

And it seems Gera, whose agent has claimed 'half the Premier League' want to sign him, is one of the players at the top of his list.

Speaking about his current plight in west London, the 31-year-old revealed he requested a loan move after failing to force through a permanent move in January, but that he was rejected.

But, ominously, he added: 'I will be in a better position in the summer.

'I will play - if not for Fulham, then for someone else.'

Pardew, who is expected to have money to spend after recouping £35million for the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January, told BBC Radio Newcastle: 'We are in plans and negotiations with a couple of players out of contract in the summer.

'I'm as sure as I can be that we will [be bringing in new players].

'I understand the frustration with what's gone in the past, but [owner Mike Ashley] doesn't want to put his investment into this club to come here, lose games and be abused.

'I genuinely feel he wants to say, 'I got it right here'. Hopefully he's going to prove that.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/859428-zoltan-gera-in-talks-with-newcastle-over-summer-free-transfer#ixzz1I3vRaZ73

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6841107,00.html

Premier clubs hunt Quini

Wigan and Fulham eye Spanish striker

By Francisco Acedo   

Last updated: 29th March 2011   

Wigan Athletic and Fulham are both reportedly following Spanish striker Quini.

The 30-year-old is one of the top scorers in the Segunda Liga with 17 goals so far this term for Alcorcon, who are ready to sell this summer.

Turkish giants Fenerbahce are believed to be leading the chase for his signature, but Wigan and Fulham have been keeping tabs on him.

The player himself is feeling calm about being linked with a big move, saying: "I know this news, but I am calm.

"If the subject advances, then it could be good for everyone."

White Noise

Season Tickets 2011/12

Tuesday 29th March 2011

The Club is proud to announce that 2011/12 Season Ticket Holders will be able to enjoy 10% discount on Fulham products – including retail! This new benefit is offered to thank our most loyal fans for their continued support and is also reflective of the feedback received in our recent Club survey.

Not only can Season Ticket Holders save £10 off their Season Ticket by renewing| before 26th April, the savings will now continue throughout the new season too.

Season Ticket Holders will be able to claim 10% off retail items online and instore, when visiting Cafe at the Cottage, upgrading to a matchday hospitality package, or even on one of our revealing behind-the-scenes Cottage Tours – to name but a few.

Renew/buy online today|

Full details will follow as we near the start of the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League campaign. Terms and conditions will apply, and these are now available to view online|. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/SeasonTickets.aspx#ixzz1I3y74Fse

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/56690/netherlands-vs-hungary/report

Netherlands 5-3 Hungary: Kuyt brace helps Van Marwijk's side maintain perfect qualification record

Visitors exploited Holland's weak defence on a number of occasions in a match which saw Robin van Persie hobble off injured at half-time

By Stefan Coerts

Holland made it six wins out of six, and top Group E of Euro 2012 qualifiers after a hard fought 5-3 victory over Hungary in a pulsating match.

Oranje started the match the better side of the two and deservedly opened the scoring via Robin van Persie.

Hungary then took over the initiative though and goals from Gergely Rudolf and Zoltan Gera gifted the guests the lead after the break.

Wesley Sneijder and Ruud van Nistelrooy then restored the Dutch's lead, but again Joszef Varga made it 3-3 in Amsterdam ArenA.

A Dirk Kuyt brace eventually proved to be too much for Hungary though and helped Holland to the full three points and cementing their place at the top of Group E.

The Dutch started the match with attacking intentions and got a good chance after only five minutes. Nevertheless, Robin van Persie hesitated too long and his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Oranje did open the scoring after 12 minutes of play via Arsenal star Van Persie. Wesley Sneijder delivered a dangerous corner and the unmarked Van Persie controlled the ball before slotting home from close range.

Dirk Kuyt should have doubled the lead for the hosts about five minutes after the opener, but the versatile attacker aimed wide after a brilliant through ball from Van Persie.

Hungary had a goal disallowed after a Balazs Dzsudzsak free kick was chopped off because the ref had not blown his whistle.

Vilmos Vanczak then came close to levelling the score after yet another set piece, but his header went just wide.

Holland's Ibrahim Afellay showed his class with a nice bit of individual skill in the dying stages of the first half, but Hungary goalkeeper Marton Fulop denied the Barcelona youngster with a great save.

Rudolf and Gera both tried their luck from long range once, but the Bari man's shot was too weak to trouble Michel Vorm, while the Hungarian aimed his shot over the cross-bar.

The visitors didn't waste any time to level the score after the interval as Rudolf scored equalised in the 46th minute.

The Oranje defence allowed Rudolf too much space after a corner kick and the Bari forward found the net with a deflected shot.

Hungary continued to cause Oranje all kinds of trouble in the opening stages of the second half and they deservedly grabbed the lead in the 50th minute. Dzsudzsak sent in a superb cross from the left and Gera added his name to the score sheet with a fine finish.

Sneijder got the hosts back on track at the hour mark with a delicate finish from inside the area after initially trying to set up Rafael van der Vaart.

The ball came back off a defender though and the Inter star kept his cool to make it 2-2.

Good work from Afellay then lead to the fifth goal of the game as the Barcelona player won the ball in his own half before unleashing Kuyt down the right. His low cross found  van Nistelrooy, who scored with a deflected shot from the edge of the area.

The Magyars refused to give up and Fulham star Gera restored parity only two minutes after the hosts went ahead.

The midfielder got all the time and space he needed on the right to unleash a powerful shot toward the far corner and Vorm never stood a chance.

However, Hungary were unable to contain the Dutch attack and the World Cup finalists made it 4-3 in the 78th minute. Afellay sent in a superb cross for Kuyt and the Liverpool star added his name to the score sheet with a good finish from a narrow angle.

Kuyt was clearly enjoying himself in the dying stages of the game as he doubled his personal tally just minutes later. The attacker tried to find Van Nistelrooy with a chipped cross, but his pass found the top corner instead of the Hamburg striker to make it 5-3.

Netherlands still sit atop of the table in Group E of the Euro 2012 qualification with 18 points from six games. Oranje resume their qualifying campaign at home against San Marino on 2 September.

Hungary have dropped to third spot following the loss in Amsterdam and Sweden's win over Moldova elsewhere. The Hungarians travel to San Marino on 7 June for their next qualifying game.

White Noise

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6271701/grading-us-performance-paraguay

Clint Dempsey, 5.5 -- What few half-chances the U.S. managed to create Dempsey usually had a hand in, getting in a header in the 21st minute and a long dipping volley in the 26th. But he wasn't efficient on the night, shanking several other shots. He took even more of a beating than usual, getting hacked often and knocked down almost as soon as he got on the ball. He didn't get off scot-free on the Paraguay goal, losing his man in the melee.

White Noise

Niko Kranjcar wants to quit Spurs as Fulham and QPR 'express interest'

Niko Kranjcar has reiterated his desire to leave Spurs in the summer in order to get regular first-team football, amid rumours west London clubs Fulham and QPR are both considering bids for the midfielder at the end of the season.

Croatian international Niko Kranjcar has hinted - again - he is determined to leave Spurs (AP)

Kranjcar has failed to hold down a place in the Spurs XI since the arrival of Rafael van der Vaart last summer, while the form of Gareth Bale on the left of midfield has also kept him on the bench at best.

The 26-year-old said in January that he was considering leaving, and - despite being linked to Liverpool, Fulham and German clubs Hamburg and Werder Bremen - a move never materialised.

However, the Croatian has reiterated his desire for a regular starting spot - and said in no uncertain terms that he is willing to look elsewhere.

'I will be trying to find a football club where I can play regularly, like any footballer would,' said Kranjcar.

'I obviously miss football. I'm not in my best shape because I don't play week in, week out.

'So it depends who wants me, if anyone wants me.'

Kranjcar reportedly favours staying in the capital - ruling out talk of interest from both Merseyside clubs and Newcastle United.

And it has been reported that both Fulham and Championship leaders QPR - assuming they win promotion to the Premier League for next season - are both sounding out Kranjcar's representatives.

But the former Portsmouth midfielder says he is only interested in somewhere he will get regular games.

'I'm ambitious, I want to play football. Especially in my best years,' he continued.

'If I was a young lad obviously I would wait for my chance, especially being at a big club like Spurs.

'But, obviously, 27, 28, 29 years is, I think, the best footballing years.

'Everyone knows I can play at the highest level, week in week out but [at Spurs] I only come on as a sub.

'But it's not mine to [question] the manager's decision, it's mine to respect and to wait for my opportunity and my chance.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/859554-niko-kranjcar-wants-to-quit-spurs-as-fulham-and-qpr-express-interest#ixzz1I7VMbGGZ

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/03/30/2418507/mark-schwarzer-claims-fulham-can-grab-european-place

Mark Schwarzer claims Fulham can grab European place

Socceroos goalkeeper believes friendly win over Germany is a huge boost for him going into the final few weeks of the domestic season, and is aiming for a top seven finish

By Francois Duchateau

30 Mar 2011 18:02:00

EXCLUSIVE

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes a good run towards the end of the season could see his side clip into a European place.

The Cottagers are five points off Bolton in seventh, and after seeing his Australia side record an impressive friendly victory over Germany on Tuesday night, the big goalkeeper was in confident mood when he met Goal.com.

Goal.com: Is Australia's win a boost ahead of the final phase of the Premier League?

Schwarzer: Of course. Positive experiences for the national team will always help at club level. Victories do one well. Sometimes they can give a personal boost of form. This is good for one's self-confidence.

What is possible for Fulham this season?

The league table is very tight. We are five points from last place and five adrift of seventh. The next two or three games are of great importance, as will be the last of the season. On Sunday we've got a big task against Blackpool. We must win this game. Only if we do that should we talk about what we can do this year.

You seem to be enjoying playing for Australia. Is that a secret for success?

It's great fun to be in this team, playing with the national side. We are a unit and I think it's important that one does not show up with too much respect for the opposition. This is easier if the team has unity and trust. And of course if it is fun.

Was the win a fair result?

We made some early mistakes and the game got a little out of hand. After the break we were strong - and not only on the counter-attack. It was a good experience for us, because Germany have a fantastic midfield. We put them under pressure, they had problems.

How seriously did both teams take this match?

Although this was called a friendly match before, for Australians there are no friendlies. We take every match seriously. We play for pride and our country and I think today we can be proud. Germany are among the world leaders. They have a good team and, above all, consistency. They have shown their class many times. I think this game will only help us progress. We played against Germany, and whether or not they were third in the world rankings, we wanted to beat them.

Have Australia continued to develop after the 2010 World Cup in South Africa?

The fact that we lost so badly in the World Cup has motivated us even more to improve. The failure in South Africa we have left behind.

Germany finished third last summer. Are you getting as good as them?

Of course Germany have top players, but we have played together for a while now and are coming together. After the penalty, I saw many good signs. I will not single out individuals, but many have shown what can be expected from them in the future. The effort has proven that the structure of the collective whole is always best.

You have beaten the Netherlands and Germany, what next?

That's fantastic, of course. But in the future, we must do better at World Cups. Of course we take our friendlies seriously, we want to learn. We look forward to the next time we play in a big tournament, because we want to see if we can turn around our previous results. We can only work hard and keep developing. I think the Asian Cup has shown our development and that we can compete with strong teams. Also, it must be added that we have many young players who have potential.

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness said before the game that a training match between his A and B teams would be more interesting than the Australia friendly. What do you reckon?

I think that these words prove that Germany are often too confident. Looking at the result should quiet such people. Perhaps it is arrogance, which some call self-confidence, when they start assuming victory too often. They played at home, but we ensured that the crowd was pretty quiet in the stands. They are the ones who have to win against any team.

White Noise

Pantsil willing to fight for Fulham future

Mar 30 2011 By Yann Tear

JOHN Pantsil is ready to grab his chance with both hands in a bid to save his Fulham career.

The full-back looks set to leave Craven Cottage when his deal expires at the end of the season.

But the Ghanaian could get one last shot at proving his worth this weekend following an injury to Aaron Hughes.

The Northern Irishman damaged his shoulder on international duty, which could see regular right-back Chris Baird move into the centre, freeing up a place for Pantsil in the back line.

And the 29-year-old insists he's ready to step up to the plate if called upon against Blackpool on Sunday.

"I know that there is competition at Fulham," Pantsil said. "We have a big squad and everybody deserves to play, so I have to wait for my chance to come again.

"But I have enjoyed my time at Fulham and I want to stay."

If turning out for Ghana at Wembley on Tuesday provided an emotional and uplifting relief from his club woes, Pantsil refused to say it after his side's historic 1-1 draw.

"I don't want to say anything about my team at the moment because I'm here for the national team and I only want to think about Ghana and not Fulham on a night like this," he said.

Pantsil was virtually the last man to leave the pitch at the end, and added: "To play in such a stadium and to see our crowd come here in their numbers and in their colours was fantastic.

"The whole stadium was shouting Ghana, Ghana, Ghana.

"I'm happy every time I step out for the national team and it's progressing well for me in the national team. It felt a bit like a World Cup game, although as a professional, I know it's just a friendly.

"This is a special place to play. This is where they play the Carling Cup final and FA Cup final and you don't get many chances to play here."

BarryP

Quote from: White Noise on March 30, 2011, 07:51:52 AM

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6271701/grading-us-performance-paraguay

Clint Dempsey, 5.5 -- What few half-chances the U.S. managed to create Dempsey usually had a hand in, getting in a header in the 21st minute and a long dipping volley in the 26th. But he wasn't efficient on the night, shanking several other shots. He took even more of a beating than usual, getting hacked often and knocked down almost as soon as he got on the ball. He didn't get off scot-free on the Paraguay goal, losing his man in the melee.

As a Fulham fan I was a bit disappointed that Dempsey played the  full 180 minutes against Argentina and Paraguay.  It will be interesting to see what he has in the tank for Sunday's match.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."