watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you agree?

Started by Peabody, April 06, 2011, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

That rather than getting upset about a statue, we should all be more concerned that we hold on to our better players? I can just imagine old Ferguson whipping in an offer for Bobby or David Stockdale. I would have added Johnny Pantsill but I think that would be going to far for some.

finnster01

Mr Peabody,
You can throw in the annual Arsenal pursuit of Hangeland and our goalies. In fact, having watched Spurs yesterday defend like the Italians in WWII they may be after them too :046:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

No top club will come in for Zamora.

Stockdale might be a target, but he will not get a starting berth at a bigger club, so would be a pointless move.

Hangeland rumours will abound. I think it is more likely that we would lose him abroad (Italy). This would be a big blow, but at least we have top class backup in Senderos. If he stays this summer, the likelihood of him staying until he retires increases.

The one to watch out for is Dempsey, who I feel might be on the end of a few offers, potentially one from Liverpool as Don suggests. If he goes, only then will the majority of people realise what he brings to Fulham.

sipwell

Then again, the statue is there to stay forever and a day and players are in any case passers by. :)

I think that with the stats of Hangeland he will be "hot" this summer. He can score goals and doesn't concede too many. What team wouldn't want that?

@ Alfayedschequebook: Senderos is 26. Talking about "him staying until he retires" seems a little bit optimistic!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: sipwell on April 06, 2011, 11:06:48 AM
Then again, the statue is there to stay forever and a day and players are in any case passers by. :)

I think that with the stats of Hangeland he will be "hot" this summer. He can score goals and doesn't concede too many. What team wouldn't want that?

@ Alfayedschequebook: Senderos is 26. Talking about "him staying until he retires" seems a little bit optimistic!

I meant Hangeland.

i.e. If he doesn't leave this summer, it looks more likely he will see out his contract then retire here.

FC Silver Fox

Agreed Peabody. This question is about who could well be offered a job to ply their trade elsewhere and may also be tempted if the club and package were suitable. These AREN'T players we necesarily want to get shot of. In brackets, I've put my estimate of what it might take to pry the player from us.

Stockdale :  Young, competent, England hopeful, can't get the N°1 slot at Fulham.
           Significant risk of going to middle to top Premiership club if he can play regularly.(£4-5m)
Zamora :  Coming back to fitness and will be in the reckoning for an England shirt.
             Significant risk of move to a club like Villa, Everton, Liverpool. (£12m)
Hangerland:  Consistent solid defender who'll score a couple of goals for you.
                Significant risk of offer from a top 4 club. (£12-15m)
Pantsil :     Seems susceptible to offers which will provoke interest.
               Significant risk of offer from a Premiership or promoted club (£3-4m)
Dempsey :  Progressed his all-round game and raised his profile in international duty.
               Moderate risk of going to a mid-table club or perhaps Germany. (£10m)
Baird:  Gives you lots of options and has played well this season.
              Moderate risk from a promoted club  (£5-6m)
Gera:  Still has another couple of years as a club player either as a forward or midfield.
              Moderate risk from a Hungarian or German club  (£4-5m)
Dembele:  Not the finished article but scares the bejasus out of defences.
             Low risk from a mid-table club looking for new attacking options  (£6-7m)
Hughes:     Mr Dependable but he's 32 now. Probably good for another year or two.
             Low risk from a promoted club   (£3-4m)
Jackson:   New recruit at Fulham but very static.
             Very low risk of offer from anybody.  (10 quid?)

Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on April 06, 2011, 11:10:37 AM
Agreed Peabody. This question is about who could well be offered a job to ply their trade elsewhere and may also be tempted if the club and package were suitable. These AREN'T players we necesarily want to get shot of. In brackets, I've put my estimate of what it might take to pry the player from us.

Stockdale :  Young, competent, England hopeful, can't get the N°1 slot at Fulham.
           Significant risk of going to middle to top Premiership club if he can play regularly.(£4-5m)
Zamora :  Coming back to fitness and will be in the reckoning for an England shirt.
             Significant risk of move to a club like Villa, Everton, Liverpool. (£12m)
Hangerland:  Consistent solid defender who'll score a couple of goals for you.
                Significant risk of offer from a top 4 club. (£12-15m)
Pantsil :     Seems susceptible to offers which will provoke interest.
               Significant risk of offer from a Premiership or promoted club (£3-4m)
Dempsey :  Progressed his all-round game and raised his profile in international duty.
               Moderate risk of going to a mid-table club or perhaps Germany. (£10m)
Baird:  Gives you lots of options and has played well this season.
              Moderate risk from a promoted club  (£5-6m)
Gera:  Still has another couple of years as a club player either as a forward or midfield.
              Moderate risk from a Hungarian or German club  (£4-5m)
Dembele:  Not the finished article but scares the bejasus out of defences.
             Low risk from a mid-table club looking for new attacking options  (£6-7m)
Hughes:     Mr Dependable but he's 32 now. Probably good for another year or two.
             Low risk from a promoted club   (£3-4m)
Jackson:   New recruit at Fulham but very static.
             Very low risk of offer from anybody.  (10 quid?)

You repeatedly mention 'mid-table' clubs but why would our players want to move there? They would not get significantly more money or prestige, so why?

FC Silver Fox

I was thinking more that this is the type of club which could try to lure them away. Why would they go to a club with similar hopes to our own?  Money?  Signing on fee and more wages.

FC Silver Fox

On the other hand, the economic climate and the incoming financial rules may put the brakes on the summer transfer market.  Furthermore, if we qualify for the Europa League by the back door, the chance of another European tour may calm some itchy feet/wallets.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on April 06, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
On the other hand, the economic climate and the incoming financial rules may put the brakes on the summer transfer market.  Furthermore, if we qualify for the Europa League by the back door, the chance of another European tour may calm some itchy feet/wallets.

This is my thinking. Realistically, how many clubs around us have more money to spend? I can only think of Sunderland, and potentially Villa.

Peabody

I agree, more money is the danger. I have heard (not substantiated) that Sunderland are paying well over the odds for some of thier teams wages.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Peabody on April 06, 2011, 11:38:05 AM
I agree, more money is the danger. I have heard (not substantiated) that Sunderland are paying well over the odds for some of thier teams wages.

I would wager that the only thing holding back Sunderland from being more successful is Steve Bruce.

Scrumpy

Nice problem to have though, isn't it?

I remember the summer after the Great Escape and we were praying that Clubs would come in and buy some of the tat that Sanchez had lumbered us with. Bouazza, Seoul, Kamara, Healy, Baird...
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Mr Fulham

12m for Zamora? Blimey..... :doh: